Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 04:17 #29012

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Sweet Baby Jesus!
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 05:43 #29016

OK Tatsujin - firstly - I NEVER once said wiki was authoritative - never have and never will, im fully aware of its open source operation - as are most if not all our readers (or at least the adult readers) - I said its accurate.

There are hundreds of possible sources for this information, including the main scouting group website.

Im English born n bred - so if it makes you feel cosy inside - lets put it this way - Im giving the english historical version of the founding of the scouting movement - which funnily enough happens to be the nationality of Powell.

Another point - I dont see any 'grey area' in terms of the history - we're talking late 19th/early 20th century here - not several hundred years ago.

Neither did I once say the scouts and military are the same - you dont seriously think im that ignorant do you? This temple has DOZENS of active service personal, from all the forces from many nationalities - and as many if not more ex-servicemen/women. TOTJO also has regular interaction with the military for various reasons - and whilst I personally have not served - every generation of my family up to the current HAS served King/Queen and country - and has so dating back some 800+ years - im well aware of how the military functions thank you.

As a side note - linked to above point about language - I went somewhat out of my way to 'defend' you or at least put it to everyone else that perhaps youd been misunderstood - im starting to think 'why did I bother'

Have you had enough of the masters in this thread because you dont like being challenged over your statements?

To be blunt - a number of your posts have been quite abrasive - generally I put this down to language differences and the limitations of text conversations - I tend to cut everyone slack (when they are new or reasonably new) just in case its 'new comers defensive syndrome' or something - yet in an earlier post, you said

Tatsujin wrote:
If anything would make me want to leave, it's being put in a position to explain myself any time I affirm what the order is doing because someone is used to being assailed by people who don't get it.

yet your doing exactly this to others time n again.

Youve also said your seen as opinionated/snobby etc - have you wondered why this is? Perhaps lines such as this

Tatsujin wrote:
The third thought that crosses my mind is that I'm an intellectual who can post with clarity and defend myself well. This comes off to most people as being overly opinionated and snobby, so I can gather that when combining the three thoughts would result in people not reading what I'm writing and assuming their way through.

will explain this.

Your not the only one to have run many sites, your not the only one with any level of intellect but from the little I have experienced of you thus far is mainly your guilty of everything your pointing at others for. Most of the longer standing members here treat 'attacks' like water off a duck back- everyone has a different perspective of everything, one persons 'fact' maybe another's fantasy - history is written by the victors as they say.

I certainly am not going to disagree with your final line.

So back on topic - I think in terms of ranks etc - those who are 'rank haters' maybe have not quite thought about what the rank means. Just because one does not appreciate why another has a rank or title should not mean that they have no respect to the individual. Of course, respect is a mutual thing, but if your in a place (physically or otherwise) where ranks are used - it is only good manners to use the appropriate titles etc. You would expect a 'guest' in your home to treat you with respect and abide by your rules - so its simple course to do the same - be it in a home, public building, website or other place.

From what ive seen elsewhere - the main cause of problems in this regard is lack of understanding of what the title or rank means - with the knowledge of what they mean and what the function of the title and or individual - one can often avoid looking foolish or worse - ignorant.

Yes, respect is two way traffic - but someone has to 'go first' - so by showing the appropriate respect - youll be off to a good start in a given situation. As said, there will always be the little hitlers - but they are easy to identify, just keep calm and polite but dont fuel their rage or ego - if necessary, walk away - it takes at least two to fight ;)

As a final note - I have one irritation in terms of ranks and titles - its folks who (as an example) INSIST on being called 'Major' or whatever - when the last time they were in active service was in WW2. OK, they earned the rank in the military at the time, but military and civilian life is very different - most civies wont understand the ranks anyway and its especially maddening to see/hear elderly 'Majors' (again an example) get cross with say a 20 year old for not using the title. Whats the point? they will have only legitimatly had the title for a couple or so years anyway and once out of service - is the 'rank' theirs toi use anyway?

Would a serving soldier now, follow an 'order' from a guy who was a major 60years ago? I very much doubt it - so why do such folk think others should treat them differently. If you really want the name used - get your name changed by law (deed poll in the UK)

This really does only serve to feed the ego of the title holder - and at the end of the day - its only a word, a badge - it has no actual value and like money - you cant take it with you.

Everyone is equal in death and within the force ;)

MTFBWY - A

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Feb 2010 23:48 #29039

Wow Tatsujin you really carried this a long way since I was last on.

Maybe we should withdraw from this subject or change the subject?
Rahm Kota: "The Force is strong in you my boy, to be able to sense my thoughts..."
Cheshire Cat: Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means 'not the same'!

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 00:11 #29040

• stevef
  • Knight
  • ID: 535
been on and off for a while, and I just noticed a clever post saying lets be respectful and call people by rank or title.
Wow, for a simple point this thread got really complicated... scouts and the UK and the military!

here's my rule of thumb and it seems to make sense:
if They are a master Call them Master X. I use the username in shout and the forums. If they are an apprentice call them Apprentice X or I think Padawan is acceptable to most. or Brother or Sister.
Knights Sir Madam or Brother Sister
If you and them are the same rank Brother or Sister is fine.
If you don't know and are too lazy to find out Brother or Sister.
Ya we can use the full title or multiple titles but it's less about who's what than being respectful of all of us. let me say that again, it's about respecting your fellow jedi.

if you look at the films, all the jedi were called by a title even by Palpatine, who hated them and wanted to destroy all jedi. If he can bite the bullet so can we.

but maybe I'm too simple to be in this conversation.

MTFBWY

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 23:15 #29054

• Jaden
  • ID: 1092
I been reading the whole thread and I would like to bring my small contribution in, saying what I think about ranks.

First of all I never see the rank, I see the person behind it and use the rank to get an idea about the amount of knowledge and work that person had until now. For instance I am an apprentice and it describes exactly what I am: a person that has more to learn in order to be able to teach others. As Kana Seiko Haruki said in one of the posts, a master is a normal human being which never looses the desire to learn and improve oneself for the good of others and make this world a better place.

We could put it this way: you call the one that gave you birth \"mother\". This is a rank. Before she gave birth she was a woman, she didn't knew how it feels and what it means to be a mother unless she had a child. This goes the same with our ranks: when you join in you know few things or maybe nothing about jediism. Later on as you learn your perception about life and other matters change, the ranks are there to remind of who you were and where you reached.

I personally see ranks as a tool to help new members and make the bound between members stronger. For instance when I will be called Master I wouldn't feel any different from what I feel now (it will just make me remember always about my duties and responsibilities I have towards the Temple and it's members)but I certainly know that a new member will come to me and ask for help because he/she would know that I am among those who know about TOTJO.

And yeah it's a matter of respect also. It's your choice if you want to use the ranks or not but I wonder if you would call your boss by his/her name, if you would call your school teacher by name and so on. As long as you see it JUST as a matter of respect you shouldn't feel offended yourself when others tell you to follow this simple rule and use the ranks.

Hope I managed to explain these things well as english is not my native language. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 26 Feb 2010 23:22 #29062

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Yes you did Jaden very well indeed.
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 27 Feb 2010 22:48 #29068

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
The comparrison to 'mother'... awesome..

VERY well done Jaden....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan

"If you think it is important to know about yourself only because I or someone else has told you it is important, then I am afraid all communication between us comes to an end. But if we agree that it is vital that we understand ourselves completely, then you and I have quite a different relationship, then we can explore together with a happy, careful and intelligent enquiry.

I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Temple of the Jedi Order on Mormon Discussion (Last post by tzb)
    • I listened to the first 20 minutes before I had to leave work and will listen to the rest when the kids are in bed. So far it's fantastic - thank you for representing us so eloquently Akkarin.
    • Article: What if Marriage were Temporary? (Last post by Reliah)
    • I like the idea of government not being at all involved with marriage. That would solve a lot of other issues, as well.. and as far as people marrying close relatives.. if they want to do that, why should anyone else really care so much..? Anyway.. I like the point Jestor made of being better the next time after a relationship goes bad. I think that it's strange to think (and expect!) that one person can be another person's everything. I also think it's strange that you can imagine you will know what you want in 10-20 years and be able to make promises regarding it. I imagine some people might be able to do just that.. I'm not so sure I'm one of them. I think that people try to fit relationships into boxes - an image of what marriage is that they try to adhere to.. and I think that might be a big reason why so many don't last. Some people try to fit "triangle" relationships into square boxes that are too small. Bad analogy, but that's all I've got. Open communication, honesty, and trust are important. Just because someone has one type of relationship doesn't mean that's how all relationships are or should be. Also, understanding that the other person is human and will make mistakes along the way.. I like the idea of letting someone be who they are and loving them because of it. In which case I also believe that it is entirely possible to love several people very deeply and meaningfully - and you'll probably learn so much more about yourself if you "can" do it. I despise jealousy and think that people severely limit themselves.. and each other. In other words, I think I like the idea of temporary marriages.. but more than that, I like the idea of personalized marriages... and ones that the government aren't involved in. Oh and - Hi Tripp! ;) :cheer:
    • Coincidence and Synchronicity (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Do you believe in synchronicity? Do you believe there are only concidences? Bit of both? I started this on my wall but I think perhaps discussion might be better in a proper topic. My own personal view.. I used to see synchronicity everywhere.. but now I think if you expect to see synchronicity, you will see synchronicity. So now I tend to assume coincidence. If you always expect to see the number '33', you're going to see '33' and the number of events that have '33' associated with them is going to be large simply because of the number of things that happens in the world. That said, I am not averse to the idea that things may be purposefully synchronistic, I just don't know how you would know either way. Although I did see something that seemed quite synchronistic this week.. so who knows. Tough to say, tough to believe unless you experience it frequently. After something happens so many times I discount coincidence. I do think our thoughts create and so some will say we find what we look for. I'll say there is no difference. I think we can project our thoughts and they have influence on and make things happen. If you believe we are all united by and a part of a living force why is it so hard to believe in synchronicity? Quote: Our minds are desperate for patterns Yes they are and that muddies things up a bit.
    • Buddha and the Cat (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: i- what do you see in this story? They should have sent someone else for medicine &or fed the cat. Buddha is alive and well in all of us. :)
    • FAQ Update (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • OK the world is right with my computer... I was going to say that I did resign from Security / Mod position, but Jestor beat me to it.
    • Dream job? (Last post by crystale)
    • One point is the urgency: I opine that: We all,specially young people (with full energy that need to be canalized) we all need patience. We have more chances of discover things around us if we are in armony and peace. Challenges physically and intellectually are all around us in our society all the time With much attention we can make a study of our place and how we can insert our help to others. Maybe you can't to start in adminstrative works, but you can help to people that need help in one area. An area that you know (Some voluntary or less remunerated work can to add experience) Be nice...and available... When you are in a place in universe ... this place can to conduce to other doors... We can plan some things. But we ignore the future in details... One very important teaching is the teaching of the life More that papers,(papers also have their importance) but more than papers, we have the posibility to be nice persons One great carpenter can to build a nice and expensive chair, but maybe also can to build excelent and nice dog house Challenges physically and intellectually are all around us in our society... and many oportunities, maybe hidden...we can wait the singular chance in middle of the apparently ordinary.. And time is time,(maybe dont need to think that time is a thing that you can to lose...always (whatever you do)take time,so... ¿you maybe prefer in middle your preparation,and study (take some time for fun) :woohoo: Important is to be happy in present and not just wait future (balance) words of Ryujin : ", do what you love " Is wisdom or in other way: do not make things without love B)
    • The Shadow (Last post by RyuJin)
    • I had to figure all that out the long difficult way, a long time ago, and it's what I've been telling others ever since... We do have a lesson in the degree forums that uses shamanic practices to find you shadow self and your inner child...
    • Books for Free (Public Domain) (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: I've posted some of these on my wall previously, but I think they deserve a thread, and as an avid book collector this is quite close to my heart. There are a lot of books out there that are now in the public domain but you might find sites like Amazon still charging for printed or kindle copies of them. Below are some websites where you can find these public domain books: Books Should Be Free Project Gutenberg Global Grey (This one is a bit easier to look through than the first two and has some interesting stuff, especially for religion, philosophy, history and occult subjects) Feedbooks Authorama (Perhaps a nice mod could sticky this?.... maybe, maybe :) ) Each of those links was added to the library: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/library Thank you.
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Renewables Now Produce 22 Percent Of The Worlds Energy. Last year, renewable power capacity expanded at its fastest pace yet, reaching nearly 22 percent of the global mix. Up from 21 percent in 2012 and 18 percent in 2007, that puts renewable electricity generation—from wind, solar, and hydro—on par with that of natural gas. But with uncertainty over policy support, the expansion of renewable energy will slow over the next five years, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency. Renewable energy could make up over a quarter of global electricity generation by 2020, according to the agency, but annual growth is expected to slow and stabilize after 2014—putting renewables at risk of falling short of global climate change goals. “Renewables are a necessary part of energy security. However, just when they are becoming a cost-competitive option in an increasing number of cases, policy and regulatory uncertainty is rising in some key markets. This stems from concerns about the costs of deploying renewables,” IEA’s Maria van der Hoeven says in a news release. “Governments must distinguish more clearly between the past, present and future, as costs are falling over time.” The report also provided a renewable power investment outlook. Through 2020, investment in new renewable power could average over $230 billion a year—though that’s lower than the $250 billion invested around the world in 2013. The decline is because unit costs are expected to fall, but also due to expectations that global capacity growth will slow. However, with the focus on electricity and transportation sectors, the contribution of renewables to heating and cooling remains underdeveloped. Although renewable energy sources are expected to grow by almost 25 percent in 2020, their share in energy use for heat rises to only 9 percent—up from 8 percent in 2013. [Via International Energy Agency] Read more at www.iflscience.com/environment/renewable...#C1dqdqFVQ7YpJtrO.99
    • The Code(s) (Last post by Gisteron)
    • What always troubled me about the revised "yet"-code, was, that, and you guys know me by now - I love me some precision - it always sounded like somebody is having trouble making up their mind. Yes, I hear them saying, it is about balance, middle path, zen, yadda-yadda-yadda... So what does that accomplish? We already know there are two sides to most issues, thanks for the info. Of course, short of the Force line, everything else in the orthodox code would resemble classical stoic teachings though, and the "yet"-framing is at best just failing to represent that and arguably speaks of the opposite instead. That's why the new pattern of displaying the codes as parallel and giving different views on "the same teaching" sounds discretely iffy to me, though I suppose that'd be a discussion all on its own, and with some brain spine breaking mental gymnastics there sure will be some apologetic to talk the elephant back out of the room when it didn't have to be brought in the first place... To be frank, and this is my opinion only, I think the "orthodox" code is by far the more useful one. Where the "yet" version only tells you that there just are some opposites here and there, it barely makes a judgement or prescription. It tells you nothing about what to strive for nor gives you insight into anything you hadn't already internalized by the time you read it. On the other hand, the "orthodox" code is way more judgemental and strict. That may not always be a good thing (the Temple has had its share of newcomers who needed that explained and smoothed out for them), and I also understand everyone who ever gets confused by the parallelistic format when the lines are so different (and please, someone, push me to finally write my complete essay/treatise of the orthodox code), but at least it makes a statement, which is, again, more than can be said of the "yet" version. Sorry if I was being harsh again :unsure:

There are 140 visitors, 9 guests and 33 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Shadouness, Jestor, jedi_roz, ren, Joe, Lightstrider, Learn_To_Know, Desolous, Reliah, rugadd, MJ Hannigan, Rosalyn J, MCSH, Rickie The Grey, Gallileo Oortael, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, zeronycon, Cyrith, Edan, tzb, Frost, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, Mathew Erickson, Cabur Senaar, KalSterner, porkapon763, Goken, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Aqua, AB357.

Follow Us