Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 04:17 #29012

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Sweet Baby Jesus!
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 05:43 #29016

OK Tatsujin - firstly - I NEVER once said wiki was authoritative - never have and never will, im fully aware of its open source operation - as are most if not all our readers (or at least the adult readers) - I said its accurate.

There are hundreds of possible sources for this information, including the main scouting group website.

Im English born n bred - so if it makes you feel cosy inside - lets put it this way - Im giving the english historical version of the founding of the scouting movement - which funnily enough happens to be the nationality of Powell.

Another point - I dont see any 'grey area' in terms of the history - we're talking late 19th/early 20th century here - not several hundred years ago.

Neither did I once say the scouts and military are the same - you dont seriously think im that ignorant do you? This temple has DOZENS of active service personal, from all the forces from many nationalities - and as many if not more ex-servicemen/women. TOTJO also has regular interaction with the military for various reasons - and whilst I personally have not served - every generation of my family up to the current HAS served King/Queen and country - and has so dating back some 800+ years - im well aware of how the military functions thank you.

As a side note - linked to above point about language - I went somewhat out of my way to 'defend' you or at least put it to everyone else that perhaps youd been misunderstood - im starting to think 'why did I bother'

Have you had enough of the masters in this thread because you dont like being challenged over your statements?

To be blunt - a number of your posts have been quite abrasive - generally I put this down to language differences and the limitations of text conversations - I tend to cut everyone slack (when they are new or reasonably new) just in case its 'new comers defensive syndrome' or something - yet in an earlier post, you said

Tatsujin wrote:
If anything would make me want to leave, it's being put in a position to explain myself any time I affirm what the order is doing because someone is used to being assailed by people who don't get it.

yet your doing exactly this to others time n again.

Youve also said your seen as opinionated/snobby etc - have you wondered why this is? Perhaps lines such as this

Tatsujin wrote:
The third thought that crosses my mind is that I'm an intellectual who can post with clarity and defend myself well. This comes off to most people as being overly opinionated and snobby, so I can gather that when combining the three thoughts would result in people not reading what I'm writing and assuming their way through.

will explain this.

Your not the only one to have run many sites, your not the only one with any level of intellect but from the little I have experienced of you thus far is mainly your guilty of everything your pointing at others for. Most of the longer standing members here treat 'attacks' like water off a duck back- everyone has a different perspective of everything, one persons 'fact' maybe another's fantasy - history is written by the victors as they say.

I certainly am not going to disagree with your final line.

So back on topic - I think in terms of ranks etc - those who are 'rank haters' maybe have not quite thought about what the rank means. Just because one does not appreciate why another has a rank or title should not mean that they have no respect to the individual. Of course, respect is a mutual thing, but if your in a place (physically or otherwise) where ranks are used - it is only good manners to use the appropriate titles etc. You would expect a 'guest' in your home to treat you with respect and abide by your rules - so its simple course to do the same - be it in a home, public building, website or other place.

From what ive seen elsewhere - the main cause of problems in this regard is lack of understanding of what the title or rank means - with the knowledge of what they mean and what the function of the title and or individual - one can often avoid looking foolish or worse - ignorant.

Yes, respect is two way traffic - but someone has to 'go first' - so by showing the appropriate respect - youll be off to a good start in a given situation. As said, there will always be the little hitlers - but they are easy to identify, just keep calm and polite but dont fuel their rage or ego - if necessary, walk away - it takes at least two to fight ;)

As a final note - I have one irritation in terms of ranks and titles - its folks who (as an example) INSIST on being called 'Major' or whatever - when the last time they were in active service was in WW2. OK, they earned the rank in the military at the time, but military and civilian life is very different - most civies wont understand the ranks anyway and its especially maddening to see/hear elderly 'Majors' (again an example) get cross with say a 20 year old for not using the title. Whats the point? they will have only legitimatly had the title for a couple or so years anyway and once out of service - is the 'rank' theirs toi use anyway?

Would a serving soldier now, follow an 'order' from a guy who was a major 60years ago? I very much doubt it - so why do such folk think others should treat them differently. If you really want the name used - get your name changed by law (deed poll in the UK)

This really does only serve to feed the ego of the title holder - and at the end of the day - its only a word, a badge - it has no actual value and like money - you cant take it with you.

Everyone is equal in death and within the force ;)

MTFBWY - A

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Feb 2010 23:48 #29039

Wow Tatsujin you really carried this a long way since I was last on.

Maybe we should withdraw from this subject or change the subject?
Rahm Kota: "The Force is strong in you my boy, to be able to sense my thoughts..."
Cheshire Cat: Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means 'not the same'!

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 00:11 #29040

• stevef
  • Knight
  • ID: 535
been on and off for a while, and I just noticed a clever post saying lets be respectful and call people by rank or title.
Wow, for a simple point this thread got really complicated... scouts and the UK and the military!

here's my rule of thumb and it seems to make sense:
if They are a master Call them Master X. I use the username in shout and the forums. If they are an apprentice call them Apprentice X or I think Padawan is acceptable to most. or Brother or Sister.
Knights Sir Madam or Brother Sister
If you and them are the same rank Brother or Sister is fine.
If you don't know and are too lazy to find out Brother or Sister.
Ya we can use the full title or multiple titles but it's less about who's what than being respectful of all of us. let me say that again, it's about respecting your fellow jedi.

if you look at the films, all the jedi were called by a title even by Palpatine, who hated them and wanted to destroy all jedi. If he can bite the bullet so can we.

but maybe I'm too simple to be in this conversation.

MTFBWY

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 23:15 #29054

• Jaden
  • ID: 1092
I been reading the whole thread and I would like to bring my small contribution in, saying what I think about ranks.

First of all I never see the rank, I see the person behind it and use the rank to get an idea about the amount of knowledge and work that person had until now. For instance I am an apprentice and it describes exactly what I am: a person that has more to learn in order to be able to teach others. As Kana Seiko Haruki said in one of the posts, a master is a normal human being which never looses the desire to learn and improve oneself for the good of others and make this world a better place.

We could put it this way: you call the one that gave you birth \"mother\". This is a rank. Before she gave birth she was a woman, she didn't knew how it feels and what it means to be a mother unless she had a child. This goes the same with our ranks: when you join in you know few things or maybe nothing about jediism. Later on as you learn your perception about life and other matters change, the ranks are there to remind of who you were and where you reached.

I personally see ranks as a tool to help new members and make the bound between members stronger. For instance when I will be called Master I wouldn't feel any different from what I feel now (it will just make me remember always about my duties and responsibilities I have towards the Temple and it's members)but I certainly know that a new member will come to me and ask for help because he/she would know that I am among those who know about TOTJO.

And yeah it's a matter of respect also. It's your choice if you want to use the ranks or not but I wonder if you would call your boss by his/her name, if you would call your school teacher by name and so on. As long as you see it JUST as a matter of respect you shouldn't feel offended yourself when others tell you to follow this simple rule and use the ranks.

Hope I managed to explain these things well as english is not my native language. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 26 Feb 2010 23:22 #29062

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Yes you did Jaden very well indeed.
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 27 Feb 2010 22:48 #29068

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
The comparrison to 'mother'... awesome..

VERY well done Jaden....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Lessons of Jedi Manners & Etiquette (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: J.u.s.t Jedi stands for "Jedi Unified Standard Training" It is a Jedi Manual im putting together :) Quote: I did not say we need a one size fit all standard. If you recall, at the start of all this....I was warning against it. :dry: :unsure:
    • Meditation and Dissociation (Last post by Adder)
    • I found the first results from meditation were a capacity to feel oneself much more loudly. It's logical, practicing shutting down outside stimulus could allow an increased capacity to focus on internal stimulus. That is emptiness meditation though, and in isolation could certainly create dissociation and worse IMO. Single pointed meditation takes those lessons and turns the lessons learned and skills acquired into a capacity to focus. So when ever exiting a meditation it might be good to re-balance using proportionate moments of emptiness and single pointedness to re-animate your conscious mind's proverbial third eyes 'lens muscles' in a mental equivalent of Accomodation. I used to start by listening to sounds, focusing on them, feeling the pressure on my body, then visualizing the room around me in some level of detail from memory based on that sound and pressure data. You can do some yoga with your eyes shut to build up a mental picture of your body and immediate environment next, before opening your eyes and finishing the picture. Finally, focus on something close by with eyes & ears, examine it, and then focus on something further away in the same way, then I even used to visualize objects out of sight at various distances.... finally walking outside to gaze up to the Moon - to carry that 'feeling' of self out to the universe. Which of course would mean pick a time when the Moon is visible being ideal!!!
    • Personal 'Codes' (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • Mine would be "Seek the truth, Speek the truth". It sounds oh so simple but I can't speek the truth unless I seek it first. That means I have to concur my fears and emotions for things i dont want to hear and look at everything from many different perspectives. That means listening to and caring for the thoughts of everyone. It means drawing positive lessons even from life's most challenging people. If I am judgmental, contentious, easily bruised or lazy I fail my own code as I fail to listen and so can not seek. The opposite of my code would be "Seek the lie, Seak the lie". I don't see anything positive there unless you want to live life in denial or rule the world like a Star Wars movie Sith. So some will find that a better code.
    • Let's Negotiate the Jedi Code! (Last post by Adder)
    • I think perception itself is a process of negotiating internal and external signals.... which could be supported by some research around saying curiosity is the key to learning - with curiosity being the drive to complete the process with energy and focus. So to the Code, yea I guess that too is a good example to use!! To use a war metaphor, how about a fire control system as something which negotiates a change in a situation; Emotion, yet peace - Detection; normal mode of maximum connection to ones environment. Ignorance, yet knowledge - Acquisition; contextualization of some point/entity in the environment. Passion, yet serenity - Identification; understanding the point/entity. Chaos, yet harmony - Tracking; understanding its previous, actual and probable transformations in relation to your own state. Death, yet the Force - Engagement/Solution; any adjustment to your own state and its impact on the that external point/entity. Sorry for the war-ryness of the post :blink:
    • Philosophy and the Sciences class (Last post by Desolous)
    • Most definitely the cognitive science route, as that is more in line with my mental health bafkground. It will be a challenge to knock this out, but I'm sure you're up to it.
    • Hugs (Last post by Proteus)
    • I'm sure you've already seen this. Doesn't matter though.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 38 checking 45 minute run today (40 run + 5 cooldown).. was a good run today, didn't feel tired really at all until the very end. Best track of the run was 'Playing with Fire' by Plan B. The whole album was pretty intense to be honest and I probably looked unduly serious while I was running but it helped with the focus. Definitely getting fitter.
    • Taoism (Last post by taidavrikaurvan)
    • Me and Streen have had many discussions on quotes as such, "The teacher does not give the answer but asks the question." A quote that has a deep value to myself.
    • No offense, but... (Last post by Red Lila)
    • Through all of this there are some practicalities that haven't been discussed. While, certainly, the notion that intending to be offended and intending offence are personal reactions, which should both be avoided; there are basic communication techniques that can reduce unintended offence. The most basic of these is recognizing the "tone neutral" environment of written communication. Due to the absence of body language and inflection we can only establish tone through our word choice and only after a sufficiently expansive block of text do those word choices establish a "voice" and the amount of text necessary to establish that voice is variable from individual to individual. Therefore its best to assume that your "voice" comes off dry and monotone. Even emoji aren't sufficient to overcome this as a smile can be sarcastic or sinister just as easily as joyful or amused. From a communication perspective, monotone voices are ascribed a serious, sincere disposition by the majority of listeners and readers unless they have specific reason to feel otherwise. Aim your dialogue on this assumption and you'll find offence taken far less often.
    • How people can drink 4L of coke a day (Last post by Json)
    • I gave up sodas 12 years ago when I quit smoking. I would say it is one of the best things I did. I decided to get into shape a year ago and finally gave up sweet tea so I drink water.... a lot of water. I do enjoy a couple of cups of green tea during the day but I do not add sugar or anything to them. Changing to eating healthy can be tough and should be treated and a long term goal. But the benefits are amazing. Food tastes better and I have a control over my hunger cravings. :) I cannot stand fast food anymore. It actually makes me sick as I am sure drinking a coke would especially 4 liters. Whew.
    • Is questioning one's faith inevitable? (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Quote: Quote: As the title says, is it inevitable that one will eventually come to question their faith? I wouldn't call it "inevitable", but rather "common". I donno, after living in the Bible Belt for so long I'm not too sure it's common either hahaha. I don't think questioning your faith is inevitable but I do think it is very good practice. And one I try to follow quite often. I remember as a young kid, I was sitting in Sunday School and being taught the 10 Commandments. I was told "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." meant "[Our Christian] God is the only one, true, God. All others are fake." I had already fallen in love with the mythology of the ages and I sat there thinking But...how could the Egyptians and the Romans and the Greeks have been so wrong? How can you go through life worshiping something that's fake? What makes us so much more right? Unfortunately, I didn't have open-thinking role-models at the time and just accepted what I was fed for 20 years. I do appreciate the church I grew up in and the love of the congregation, and I do slightly envy those who don't seem to go through the angst of getting 'lost' while looking for answers to questions, but I feel like I'm a much better and stronger person for getting lost and poking around at what I believe in.
    • Honor... (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: It all seems philosophically sound. But honor is one of those things that I feel is an invention of the human ego. How is it even real? What is the benefit of acting "honorably"? And how is one dishonored, except by only saying that one is? Agreed. To some people it's apparently a great honor to commit suicide bombings sacrifice for a greater cause all sorts of stuff.
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by Proteus)
    • Megadeth - I Thought I Knew It All Lyrics: Somewhere there's a reason Why things go like they do Somewhere there's a reason Why somethings just fall through We don't always see them For what they really are But I know there's a reason, Just can't see it from this far Maybe I don't like it, but I have no choice I know that somewhere, someone hears my voice I thought I knew it all I thought I had it made How could it end this way? I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason Why things don't go my way Somewhere there's a reason That I cannot explain Just like the change of season, Just may not be my turn But I know there's a reason, The lesson's mine to learn

There are 125 visitors, 8 guests and 34 members online (4  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, steamboat28, Jon, Firewolf, Jestor, Karn, ren, Kitsu Tails, Lightstrider, SenseiMitPen, Adder, Brian, Wescli Wardest, Learn_To_Know, Desolous, Red Lila, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, drewkski, Brenna, Kamizu, Silvermane, tzb, Zenchi, Pyrus Erath, Frost, carlos.martinez3, taidavrikaurvan, SeventhSL, Acheron, Angwusi, Rahm Atuc, Oneiros, Exarchias, Fox, danielhwhite, Damianmarcos.

Follow Us