Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 04:17 #29012

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Sweet Baby Jesus!
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 05:43 #29016

OK Tatsujin - firstly - I NEVER once said wiki was authoritative - never have and never will, im fully aware of its open source operation - as are most if not all our readers (or at least the adult readers) - I said its accurate.

There are hundreds of possible sources for this information, including the main scouting group website.

Im English born n bred - so if it makes you feel cosy inside - lets put it this way - Im giving the english historical version of the founding of the scouting movement - which funnily enough happens to be the nationality of Powell.

Another point - I dont see any 'grey area' in terms of the history - we're talking late 19th/early 20th century here - not several hundred years ago.

Neither did I once say the scouts and military are the same - you dont seriously think im that ignorant do you? This temple has DOZENS of active service personal, from all the forces from many nationalities - and as many if not more ex-servicemen/women. TOTJO also has regular interaction with the military for various reasons - and whilst I personally have not served - every generation of my family up to the current HAS served King/Queen and country - and has so dating back some 800+ years - im well aware of how the military functions thank you.

As a side note - linked to above point about language - I went somewhat out of my way to 'defend' you or at least put it to everyone else that perhaps youd been misunderstood - im starting to think 'why did I bother'

Have you had enough of the masters in this thread because you dont like being challenged over your statements?

To be blunt - a number of your posts have been quite abrasive - generally I put this down to language differences and the limitations of text conversations - I tend to cut everyone slack (when they are new or reasonably new) just in case its 'new comers defensive syndrome' or something - yet in an earlier post, you said

Tatsujin wrote:
If anything would make me want to leave, it's being put in a position to explain myself any time I affirm what the order is doing because someone is used to being assailed by people who don't get it.

yet your doing exactly this to others time n again.

Youve also said your seen as opinionated/snobby etc - have you wondered why this is? Perhaps lines such as this

Tatsujin wrote:
The third thought that crosses my mind is that I'm an intellectual who can post with clarity and defend myself well. This comes off to most people as being overly opinionated and snobby, so I can gather that when combining the three thoughts would result in people not reading what I'm writing and assuming their way through.

will explain this.

Your not the only one to have run many sites, your not the only one with any level of intellect but from the little I have experienced of you thus far is mainly your guilty of everything your pointing at others for. Most of the longer standing members here treat 'attacks' like water off a duck back- everyone has a different perspective of everything, one persons 'fact' maybe another's fantasy - history is written by the victors as they say.

I certainly am not going to disagree with your final line.

So back on topic - I think in terms of ranks etc - those who are 'rank haters' maybe have not quite thought about what the rank means. Just because one does not appreciate why another has a rank or title should not mean that they have no respect to the individual. Of course, respect is a mutual thing, but if your in a place (physically or otherwise) where ranks are used - it is only good manners to use the appropriate titles etc. You would expect a 'guest' in your home to treat you with respect and abide by your rules - so its simple course to do the same - be it in a home, public building, website or other place.

From what ive seen elsewhere - the main cause of problems in this regard is lack of understanding of what the title or rank means - with the knowledge of what they mean and what the function of the title and or individual - one can often avoid looking foolish or worse - ignorant.

Yes, respect is two way traffic - but someone has to 'go first' - so by showing the appropriate respect - youll be off to a good start in a given situation. As said, there will always be the little hitlers - but they are easy to identify, just keep calm and polite but dont fuel their rage or ego - if necessary, walk away - it takes at least two to fight ;)

As a final note - I have one irritation in terms of ranks and titles - its folks who (as an example) INSIST on being called 'Major' or whatever - when the last time they were in active service was in WW2. OK, they earned the rank in the military at the time, but military and civilian life is very different - most civies wont understand the ranks anyway and its especially maddening to see/hear elderly 'Majors' (again an example) get cross with say a 20 year old for not using the title. Whats the point? they will have only legitimatly had the title for a couple or so years anyway and once out of service - is the 'rank' theirs toi use anyway?

Would a serving soldier now, follow an 'order' from a guy who was a major 60years ago? I very much doubt it - so why do such folk think others should treat them differently. If you really want the name used - get your name changed by law (deed poll in the UK)

This really does only serve to feed the ego of the title holder - and at the end of the day - its only a word, a badge - it has no actual value and like money - you cant take it with you.

Everyone is equal in death and within the force ;)

MTFBWY - A

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Feb 2010 23:48 #29039

Wow Tatsujin you really carried this a long way since I was last on.

Maybe we should withdraw from this subject or change the subject?
Rahm Kota: "The Force is strong in you my boy, to be able to sense my thoughts..."
Cheshire Cat: Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means 'not the same'!

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 00:11 #29040

• stevef
  • Knight
  • ID: 535
been on and off for a while, and I just noticed a clever post saying lets be respectful and call people by rank or title.
Wow, for a simple point this thread got really complicated... scouts and the UK and the military!

here's my rule of thumb and it seems to make sense:
if They are a master Call them Master X. I use the username in shout and the forums. If they are an apprentice call them Apprentice X or I think Padawan is acceptable to most. or Brother or Sister.
Knights Sir Madam or Brother Sister
If you and them are the same rank Brother or Sister is fine.
If you don't know and are too lazy to find out Brother or Sister.
Ya we can use the full title or multiple titles but it's less about who's what than being respectful of all of us. let me say that again, it's about respecting your fellow jedi.

if you look at the films, all the jedi were called by a title even by Palpatine, who hated them and wanted to destroy all jedi. If he can bite the bullet so can we.

but maybe I'm too simple to be in this conversation.

MTFBWY

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 23:15 #29054

• Jaden
  • ID: 1092
I been reading the whole thread and I would like to bring my small contribution in, saying what I think about ranks.

First of all I never see the rank, I see the person behind it and use the rank to get an idea about the amount of knowledge and work that person had until now. For instance I am an apprentice and it describes exactly what I am: a person that has more to learn in order to be able to teach others. As Kana Seiko Haruki said in one of the posts, a master is a normal human being which never looses the desire to learn and improve oneself for the good of others and make this world a better place.

We could put it this way: you call the one that gave you birth \"mother\". This is a rank. Before she gave birth she was a woman, she didn't knew how it feels and what it means to be a mother unless she had a child. This goes the same with our ranks: when you join in you know few things or maybe nothing about jediism. Later on as you learn your perception about life and other matters change, the ranks are there to remind of who you were and where you reached.

I personally see ranks as a tool to help new members and make the bound between members stronger. For instance when I will be called Master I wouldn't feel any different from what I feel now (it will just make me remember always about my duties and responsibilities I have towards the Temple and it's members)but I certainly know that a new member will come to me and ask for help because he/she would know that I am among those who know about TOTJO.

And yeah it's a matter of respect also. It's your choice if you want to use the ranks or not but I wonder if you would call your boss by his/her name, if you would call your school teacher by name and so on. As long as you see it JUST as a matter of respect you shouldn't feel offended yourself when others tell you to follow this simple rule and use the ranks.

Hope I managed to explain these things well as english is not my native language. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 26 Feb 2010 23:22 #29062

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Yes you did Jaden very well indeed.
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 27 Feb 2010 22:48 #29068

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
The comparrison to 'mother'... awesome..

VERY well done Jaden....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Transcendence (Last post by Adder)
    • I enjoyed it too, but I thought he would have been smarter then that :silly:
    • Userpics and nicknames (Last post by Peej16870)
    • I have honestly never been one to mess with the default avatar and my user-id is the same one that I have used for years. It's my childhood nickname (peej) and my childhood zipcode. I've used it for so long that it is second nature to use it anywhere I go on the web. It also makes it alot easier for logging in anywhere because I don't have to think about what my user-id is anywhere because it is always the same.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by ren)
    • I don't know if hate leads to suffering, but my suffering of an 8 pound charge by royal mail for their handling of an international package with 9.50 VAT imposed at the border (which I obviously also have to pay) is causing a great deal of anger. This being said the company I bought from offers vouchers to encourage trade with the EU, and they even covered the royal mail fee, which is pretty awesome.
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by Tk768)
    • When I priced them some where higher/some lower on both ends. Both are awesome companies, but the had been some negative talk on other forums about Ultra ( mostly their conversion and commissioned work). But I will still stand by both being awesome companies, fair priced, and still the most recommended. You can't go wrong either way. Ultra does have some cooler custom pieces though.
    • Anyone see this? (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • Quote: Edit:... you might not want to know what I believed (and still think of often) before coming here Ha ha. :) Well if my post proves anything it is that I like to know what people believe and why. Even if I disagree. I figure there is enough people out there who only want to hear information that reinforces their own opinions without me adding to the list.
    • Ikigai - "a reason for being" (Last post by Adder)
    • So the answer to that puzzle would be to be good at everything and love doing anything while doing what the world needs and getting paid for it!!!!
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 14# day without coffee.
    • Happy Thanksgiving! (Last post by SilverWolf)
    • Happy Thanksgiving Revan! I am thankful for you and all the Jedi of the Order, I am also thankful for my family and my life! Do not eat too much revan! Enjoy time with your family! May the Force be with you! SilverWolf
    • Jediism and non Jediism, (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: One might argue that a Jedi would think a bit differently because they think in Jedi terms, use Jedi language. But that would be about it. Identifying as a Jedi does not grant insight right off top. It does not guarantee that one treats people well or makes good choices. To better or worse, Jedi are subject to the same set of human failings as anyone else. What makes a human being insightful is work, experience, and the ability to reflect. Jedi do not have a trademark on that in any way. Nor do I think it is necessary to be a Jedi in order to live well. I figure Jedi that are insightful and live a good life do it in a way that aligns with their approach to the Jedi path. This may not address your question precisely, but it needs saying now and again: being a Jedi doesn't make you better. I am most sorry for my first post, I did not want to make topic with the intention to say Jedi are ''better'' I should hold my head in shame if I would believe Jedi are, I am just curious if there are differences in global way of speaking. Maybe I should ask the question in a different way.. :blush: If Jediism is a religion with a wide range of teachings. How to know the difference between Jedi and non Jedi?
    • Jediism Book (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: So yeah... There's this... www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205300072483603 Printed as a thank you for Brother John sharing the file. Don't worry TK768, its going in the mail soon! An excellent piece of work!
    • here's a thought. (Last post by ren)
    • Steam as I said before there is indeed no formal classification system for humans. It does not exist, the subject became taboo before geneticists existed. So no, I can't use formal taxonomic terms, THEY DO NOT EXIST. There has never been a proper genetic classsification of humans, the only species that seems exempt. Only very few fields have been studied because they are linked to health issues, and when categories are created they usually carry the name of the particular gene being studied. Why you keep on pushing this on even though there are pretty good grounds for you to have guessed by now that this very probably affects my family is beyond me. You keep mentioning this social race nonsense, which I consider racist because it links genetic heritage to culture and social status. I have zero interest in it and plan on continuing to have zero interest in it. Why you seem so worked up about it is beyond understanding. Maybe you ought to read about what "phenotype" actually means, and how genotype is actually part of it. Quote: So that example is not a good example I don't think for gender discrimination of that type being introduced in part by OP, also especially not the breast example specifically, as in western societies female breasts are usually considered private. Quite a few men only club's had to close up or allow women, but I notice there are women only gym's etc. I always thought it was only religious institutions that were allowed to bypass certain anti-discrimination law. So on reflection 'health' must have an angle in there also.... I do not mind a bit of positive discrimination so long as it's transparent and available to both genders to meet the same types of need. I consider all parts of my body private, and would normally be pretty pissed off if random people touched me the way a doctor touches my neck, puts stuff in my ears, my mouth, etc. But the way I see it doctors can do it because I trust them as professionals doing professional things. What about putting needles inside people? Isn't that supposed to be a BDSM thing? The same goes for people who have little or no training. Those healthcare assistants havent been through 10 years of medical training and have no PhDs, but still wipe bums for perfectly reasonable reasons and should be respected as such. I mean, if it' all about making the patients feeling comfortable, why don't we always get sexy hot nurses? If sexy barmaids cause patrons to drink more, surely recovery times could be improved by sexy nurses, right? :D Etc lol I digress. Men get mammograms also. Excellent point about the women-only gyms, though apparently women don't like them this much. Those who go to my gym (private health club) often clearly are there to show off. Someone mentioned lululemons in another thread, I swear some people stacked up on those "faulty" transparent ones as they never seem to run out. We have more women than men during the day and some clearly are competing. All of this of course is excellent news for men, as apparently staring at breasts for 10 minutes is just as good for men's health as a 30 minute workout.
    • Missing the Holidays? (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • So far this year, this is the first holiday (Thanksgiving) that I have been home. But for the members of my cutter, this is the first holiday they have been home for most of the year. I remember mentioning that I planned on still celebrating my son’s birthday when I got off patrol a few weeks back, and I got the response of: "It’s already past and gone. Mommy joined the Coast Guard, she’s going to miss special days.” Why they feel like holidays have to be static is beyond me. I’ve been with a few different families that find holidays are flexible. They might celebrate it more than once in the week/month because they are sharing it with different members of their family (biological and extended). So this is sort of a message for those of you that cannot be home for the holidays, but will be able to make it home within reason- holidays like Thanksgiving, Easter, Birthdays, Christmas and other such “big” days do not need to be static. You can still enjoy them with the ones you love if you are in a position where you have to work. Even in history the dates (save really Birthdays) have changed to fit where they are today. Why not allow a bit of flexibility in your own schedule? To the world of all those that have to work this holiday season: Happy Holidays, you are appreciated.
    • Chat "Irony". (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: (08:10:57) Axiom_Eleven: One logs in, one logs out. Another logs in, another logs out. Such is the way of the force. (08:29:16) Temple Bot: steamboat28 logs into the Chat. (08:29:19) Temple Bot: Axiom_Eleven has been logged out (Timeout).

There are 481 visitors, 5 guests and 31 members online (one in chat): Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, ren, Nakis, Lycaenion, Phortis Nespin, Connor L., Adder, Darren, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Corwinani, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Silvermane, SilverWolf, babyblueyes247, Pyrus Erath, Jamie Stick, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, SeventhSL, GraySull, Oneiros, Cyan Sarden, Arkayik, Peej16870, almosteasy69, Tk768.

Follow Us