Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 04:17 #29012

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Sweet Baby Jesus!
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 23 Feb 2010 05:43 #29016

OK Tatsujin - firstly - I NEVER once said wiki was authoritative - never have and never will, im fully aware of its open source operation - as are most if not all our readers (or at least the adult readers) - I said its accurate.

There are hundreds of possible sources for this information, including the main scouting group website.

Im English born n bred - so if it makes you feel cosy inside - lets put it this way - Im giving the english historical version of the founding of the scouting movement - which funnily enough happens to be the nationality of Powell.

Another point - I dont see any 'grey area' in terms of the history - we're talking late 19th/early 20th century here - not several hundred years ago.

Neither did I once say the scouts and military are the same - you dont seriously think im that ignorant do you? This temple has DOZENS of active service personal, from all the forces from many nationalities - and as many if not more ex-servicemen/women. TOTJO also has regular interaction with the military for various reasons - and whilst I personally have not served - every generation of my family up to the current HAS served King/Queen and country - and has so dating back some 800+ years - im well aware of how the military functions thank you.

As a side note - linked to above point about language - I went somewhat out of my way to 'defend' you or at least put it to everyone else that perhaps youd been misunderstood - im starting to think 'why did I bother'

Have you had enough of the masters in this thread because you dont like being challenged over your statements?

To be blunt - a number of your posts have been quite abrasive - generally I put this down to language differences and the limitations of text conversations - I tend to cut everyone slack (when they are new or reasonably new) just in case its 'new comers defensive syndrome' or something - yet in an earlier post, you said

Tatsujin wrote:
If anything would make me want to leave, it's being put in a position to explain myself any time I affirm what the order is doing because someone is used to being assailed by people who don't get it.

yet your doing exactly this to others time n again.

Youve also said your seen as opinionated/snobby etc - have you wondered why this is? Perhaps lines such as this

Tatsujin wrote:
The third thought that crosses my mind is that I'm an intellectual who can post with clarity and defend myself well. This comes off to most people as being overly opinionated and snobby, so I can gather that when combining the three thoughts would result in people not reading what I'm writing and assuming their way through.

will explain this.

Your not the only one to have run many sites, your not the only one with any level of intellect but from the little I have experienced of you thus far is mainly your guilty of everything your pointing at others for. Most of the longer standing members here treat 'attacks' like water off a duck back- everyone has a different perspective of everything, one persons 'fact' maybe another's fantasy - history is written by the victors as they say.

I certainly am not going to disagree with your final line.

So back on topic - I think in terms of ranks etc - those who are 'rank haters' maybe have not quite thought about what the rank means. Just because one does not appreciate why another has a rank or title should not mean that they have no respect to the individual. Of course, respect is a mutual thing, but if your in a place (physically or otherwise) where ranks are used - it is only good manners to use the appropriate titles etc. You would expect a 'guest' in your home to treat you with respect and abide by your rules - so its simple course to do the same - be it in a home, public building, website or other place.

From what ive seen elsewhere - the main cause of problems in this regard is lack of understanding of what the title or rank means - with the knowledge of what they mean and what the function of the title and or individual - one can often avoid looking foolish or worse - ignorant.

Yes, respect is two way traffic - but someone has to 'go first' - so by showing the appropriate respect - youll be off to a good start in a given situation. As said, there will always be the little hitlers - but they are easy to identify, just keep calm and polite but dont fuel their rage or ego - if necessary, walk away - it takes at least two to fight ;)

As a final note - I have one irritation in terms of ranks and titles - its folks who (as an example) INSIST on being called 'Major' or whatever - when the last time they were in active service was in WW2. OK, they earned the rank in the military at the time, but military and civilian life is very different - most civies wont understand the ranks anyway and its especially maddening to see/hear elderly 'Majors' (again an example) get cross with say a 20 year old for not using the title. Whats the point? they will have only legitimatly had the title for a couple or so years anyway and once out of service - is the 'rank' theirs toi use anyway?

Would a serving soldier now, follow an 'order' from a guy who was a major 60years ago? I very much doubt it - so why do such folk think others should treat them differently. If you really want the name used - get your name changed by law (deed poll in the UK)

This really does only serve to feed the ego of the title holder - and at the end of the day - its only a word, a badge - it has no actual value and like money - you cant take it with you.

Everyone is equal in death and within the force ;)

MTFBWY - A

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Feb 2010 23:48 #29039

Wow Tatsujin you really carried this a long way since I was last on.

Maybe we should withdraw from this subject or change the subject?
Rahm Kota: "The Force is strong in you my boy, to be able to sense my thoughts..."
Cheshire Cat: Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means 'not the same'!

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 00:11 #29040

• stevef
  • Knight
  • ID: 535
been on and off for a while, and I just noticed a clever post saying lets be respectful and call people by rank or title.
Wow, for a simple point this thread got really complicated... scouts and the UK and the military!

here's my rule of thumb and it seems to make sense:
if They are a master Call them Master X. I use the username in shout and the forums. If they are an apprentice call them Apprentice X or I think Padawan is acceptable to most. or Brother or Sister.
Knights Sir Madam or Brother Sister
If you and them are the same rank Brother or Sister is fine.
If you don't know and are too lazy to find out Brother or Sister.
Ya we can use the full title or multiple titles but it's less about who's what than being respectful of all of us. let me say that again, it's about respecting your fellow jedi.

if you look at the films, all the jedi were called by a title even by Palpatine, who hated them and wanted to destroy all jedi. If he can bite the bullet so can we.

but maybe I'm too simple to be in this conversation.

MTFBWY

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 25 Feb 2010 23:15 #29054

• Jaden
  • ID: 1092
I been reading the whole thread and I would like to bring my small contribution in, saying what I think about ranks.

First of all I never see the rank, I see the person behind it and use the rank to get an idea about the amount of knowledge and work that person had until now. For instance I am an apprentice and it describes exactly what I am: a person that has more to learn in order to be able to teach others. As Kana Seiko Haruki said in one of the posts, a master is a normal human being which never looses the desire to learn and improve oneself for the good of others and make this world a better place.

We could put it this way: you call the one that gave you birth \"mother\". This is a rank. Before she gave birth she was a woman, she didn't knew how it feels and what it means to be a mother unless she had a child. This goes the same with our ranks: when you join in you know few things or maybe nothing about jediism. Later on as you learn your perception about life and other matters change, the ranks are there to remind of who you were and where you reached.

I personally see ranks as a tool to help new members and make the bound between members stronger. For instance when I will be called Master I wouldn't feel any different from what I feel now (it will just make me remember always about my duties and responsibilities I have towards the Temple and it's members)but I certainly know that a new member will come to me and ask for help because he/she would know that I am among those who know about TOTJO.

And yeah it's a matter of respect also. It's your choice if you want to use the ranks or not but I wonder if you would call your boss by his/her name, if you would call your school teacher by name and so on. As long as you see it JUST as a matter of respect you shouldn't feel offended yourself when others tell you to follow this simple rule and use the ranks.

Hope I managed to explain these things well as english is not my native language. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 26 Feb 2010 23:22 #29062

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
Yes you did Jaden very well indeed.
Founder of The Order

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 27 Feb 2010 22:48 #29068

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
The comparrison to 'mother'... awesome..

VERY well done Jaden....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • "Not all Truth is true..." (Last post by Alan)
    • There seems to be some misunderstanding of myth. Contrary to the false distinction that juxtaposes Myth is a kind of fiction and so is distinct from Fact, my understanding of myth is that they are the narrative embodiment of an idea. Myth is a “traditional narration which relates to events that happened at the beginning of time and which has the purpose of providing grounds for the ritual actions of men of today and, in a general manner, establishing all the forms of action and thought by which man understands himself in his world.” (Paul Ricoeur, The Symbolism of Evil, p. 5) Myth narrates a sacred history; it is the story of an event in that happened in primordial time; it tells how reality (or some part of it) came into existence. Myths can be known, experienced, and lived in the sense that one is seized by the sacred in the reenactment of the primordial, sacred event. Myth places the experience of man in a whole that receives orientation and meaning from the narration. Thus, an understanding of human reality as a whole operates through the myths by means of reminiscence and an expectation. (Ricoeur, p. 6) On this view, one can come to an understanding of myths and posits them (all of them) as expressing a truth for those persons who live within their narrative worldview.
    • Charity Coding (Last post by Connor L.)
    • No but we totally should! I really want to learn how to code... I should make that my new year's resolution!
    • The Force Explained (Last post by Hitira38)
    • When you create the mind as internal and the rest of the world as external, you has disconnected yourself from your environment, as it is the starting point of dysfunctional labeling.
    • Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: we can't eliminate manipulation. In any interaction between two or more people, there will be some sort of manipulation, even if a minimal one. Its inherent in human psychology. What counts is the motivation and the end result. My wife will use subtle positive manipulation to get me to do chores around he house i'd rather not do. I view that as not a bad thing. My son in law lacks subtle means of manipulation. He will use yelling and other intimidation to exercise dominance over my daughter simply to satisfy his need to dominate his environment. I consider that to be an evil form of manipulation because it has selfish intent and harms the other person's self esteem. I still don't think motivation is a good enough reason... you're right, we can't eliminate manipulation entirely, but when a person is purposely manipulative... their good intentions might not be what I believe to be good or right. I don't believe the end justifies the means.
    • The Lady of the Night and Jediism. (Last post by Hitira38)
    • I do believe that "there is no death, there is force" refers to the grand scheme of things. As there isn't death but the lack of force, there isn't emotions but peace of conflict. It is taking about the very direction of life on a time and space fabric. In the force.
    • Advice needed: how to shut up. (Last post by Hitira38)
    • Surly you understand why you acted the way you did. With this in mind it is important to move past it, one shouldn't dwell on the past for too long.
    • Merry Yule!!! (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • The following is a pretty good article on Yule. :) www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/the_wheel_of_t..._winter_solstice.asp I pray that you find the hope, love and care that this holiday is meant to inspire. *hugs* If you get a chance, I'd love to hear what you did for this year's Yule celebration ^^
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: :angry: :angry: :angry: I'm not very pissed off today ... :angry: :angry: :angry: Hang on... are you ranting because you're not angry? No, I'm still angry ... just not as much. :unsure: Ah... please, rant away then
    • Grey Jedi Code Anyone? (Last post by den385)
    • Logically, white-hat and grey-hat do the same when the world is shifted towards dark. Isn't this the current state?
    • The 'Real Me' (Last post by den385)
    • I think, by 'real me' it's helpful to define the motivation behind decisions that shaped person's character. That is why to know someone is impossible without compassion.
    • Korra and Spirituality (Last post by den385)
    • Hey! Amazed how things coincide. Only this friday and yesterday I've been watching season 4. Maybe it's funny, but it helped me with some things I'm going through. Actually, the episodes S04E01-03 helped, when *SPOILER!* Korra is disabled and out-of-the-game. Then it became more like an ordinary good story, it stopped talking to me on me-related-stuff. It's incredible that tv can actually guide you through some stuff, isn't it? Like Ariadne's thread, Campbell spoke of.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • Vacations in Germany 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 5 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 5 kg biceps
    • Avatar Discussion (Episode 1, TLA) (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Quote: "Why don't you enjoy a cup of calming Jasmine tea?" "I don't need any calming tea!" Here we see the beginning of Iroh's wisdom and the foil to Zuko's determination. Zuko has been long searching for the Avatar. I want to make these discussions work with the timeline, so let's not assume we know WHY he's looking for the Avatar other than that he's attempting to regain his honor. Iroh, a seemingly worldly man, tries very hard to give Zuko a way to relax and accept his current position. We talk about this so much with the Tao and the Force. Living "in" the moment is a staple saying of new age Westerners. We like to think that staying present and grounded is a healing property for our lives as it reduces the stresses of the future and the nightmares of the past. Iroh sees Zuko troubled by both so his motivations are clear and consistent with how a Jedi Master might advise his hot headed apprentice. Let's discuss the benefits of living Iroh's way. Relaxed, content with tea and Pai Sho paisho.pbworks.com/w/page/11167060/FrontPage, we can see that Iroh is well-adjusted, even in his retired status. Little do we know, right now, the depth of Iroh's wisdom. Let's not spoil that journey yet! Parallel to the Monomyth: Quote: "No, I didn't know him. I mean... I knew people that knew him.." Aang refuses the call in this episode. He spends his whole time trying to get away from his responsibilities as an Avatar. We will find out later why this is. But, for now, let's discuss what it means to refuse the call. What could Aang do right now to change his position? Wisdom = ADD? Quote: "But first, I need to finish my roast duck!" "PENGUINS!!!!" I just thought this was funny. You see it as a trope in many movies showing off "wise" characters. Oftentimes, they are silly and a little attention deficit disorder. Thoughts on why this might be? Quote: "If you want to be a Bender, you have to let go of fear."
    • Rape Culture (Last post by Star Forge)
    • Quote: Quote: I would just offer that the US is a mostly Christian country, so it is not an American thing, but a Christian doctrine which is prevalent in the US due to religious majority. ? Jews do it for religious reasons, as do muslims. Wherever they may live, whichever nationality they may hold. In north america, you guys do it because the holistic enema-loving masturbation-hating vegetarian guy who invented corn flakes told your great grand parents they should. He failed to produce any offspring and was chucked out of his church. There are far more christians outside the US than within it, and they do not practise male genital mutilation. In the US it has to do with national culture, not religion. The majority of those who practise it there merely happen to be christian. The bulk of christianity today sees its roots in ancient europe, and the ancient europeans found circumcision abominable. Only very few christians (with african roots) pratice it religiously. Quote: The question I pose is this... Do you think that the proliferation of violent games, the use of sex in advertising, the long overdue acceptance of gay and lesbian relations, the isolation and disconnect of people caused by the internet and other social media, has in any way affected the increase in rape crimes based on feelings of desperation, perceived empowerment, manipulation of the opposite sex or same sex? Could this be a reason for Rape Cultures? If statistics on this were in anyway not completely made up, i'd say gender equality is to blame. Just compare sweden with the united arab emirates. To be fair, though, I am sure there are some Christian Zionists who look highly upon it due to their EXTREME Philo-Semitism. Circumcision pisses me off, but can you imagine the uproar if we ever got it banned here? "Dose anti-Semitic BASTIDS!!!!!"

There are 292 visitors, 12 guests and 22 members online (4  in chat): Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Adhara, Gisteron, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Alan, Llama Su, elizabeth, cpjh, Edan, Silvermane, Pyrus Erath, B_Ritter, Cabur Senaar, taidavrikaurvan, Goken, Culla, den385, Gregory, Stormhunter, Hitira38, Keran Doshe, marco, Veran_Seawolf, Jihad, ghost dog, B.W.Vaughn, Seraphim.

Follow Us