Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 10:09 #28224

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
An Official-in-waiting who had just rented a house in Hufangqiao Road in the capital was informed, “A fox lives in this house. You will not be disturbed if you offer a sacrifice before you move in.” Being a tightfisted man, he refused, but nothing unusual happened when he moved in. Shortly afterward he married a concubine. Received into his house on the wedding day, she was sitting alone in the room when she heard dozens of whispering voices outside the window commenting on her looks. Bashfully she kept her head lowered. When they went to bed that night after blowing out the candle, the whole room was suddenly filled with giggles. The moment he made a move, it was described in a loud voice. Several nights passed like this. Unable to bear it any longer, he went to a Taoist priest asking him to exorcise the fox. After hearing him out the priest said, “Only when a demon has harmed people can I invoke the heavenly gods to seize it and punish it. If the demon has merely been playing a prank without causing much harm, there is no need for divine intervention. Likewise, the government does not take any action against someone for playing a prank without causing real trouble. How can you bother the gods with such a trivial matter?” At the end of his rope, the official-in-waiting offered a sacrifice and libation to the fox. That very night his room became quiet. He said with a deep sigh, “Now I understand the importance of social etiquette!”

Now I know this is not going to go down well with a number of people here, but I am going to take that risk any way out of the simple fact that we are TEMPLE OF THE JEDI TEMPLE and not called for example PALS INCORPORATED. All of us are here to broadern our horizons; some wish even to learn the Jedi way, be knighted and even hope to guide others as Masters. So just as we take people`s desire to learn seriously so should those who have worked hard to carry the title of Master be addressed as such whether in shout, forum or PM (unless expressed otherwise by the addresse). For a long time this has been in use, was possible and still is the case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28
Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010 10:11 by Jon.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 11:11 #28226

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
There is almost nothing that makes a person seems crass and undignified as a lack of simple manners. I finished college in my forties and new some of my teachers as friends and customers. Even though we were on a fist name bases and some were younger than I - in class I always addressed them as professor or with the proper title.

Being from the South I'm steeped in the virtues of Southern Hospitality and for good measure my Mothers family are all from Sibley. There are just things that a genteel person does not do or does do as the case may be.

And what Master Jon is telling you sir, young lad, lady ,little miss is that this is for YOU not for him.

If you want to be respected as a Jedi much less as a decent human being a little magic goes a long way.

Anyway you don't want the thrill of one day perhaps being invited to be on a first name basis - do you?
Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, PatrickB

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 11:27 #28227

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
Rather interesting and pointed post Master Jon. Like Br. John I too was raised with the \"SouthernL hospitality and from time to time get corrected by my mum and grandparents when I speak of their friends without the honorific Mr. Or Mrs. I understand that but also understand it is becoming a trait that is lost on the younger generations. Which is unfortunate. These people who are older or have earned their rank should be addressed as such, unless otherwise directed by that person.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 13:41 #28229

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
Tiamat wrote:
Rather interesting and pointed post Master Jon. Like Br. John I too was raised with the \"SouthernL hospitality and from time to time get corrected by my mum and grandparents when I speak of their friends without the honorific Mr. Or Mrs. I understand that but also understand it is becoming a trait that is lost on the younger generations. Which is unfortunate. These people who are older or have earned their rank should be addressed as such, unless otherwise directed by that person.

i was raised in the backwoods south where most people didn't like mr. or mrs. when in their presence i would address them in the manner they requested. i used mr. or mrs. when dealing with my teachers, in college i call my professors by professor unless they say otherwise but use mr. or mrs. when talking about them to someone else. growing up no one around me ever thought it to be disprespectful to call someone outside the family by first name as it made them part of the family. it was simply a matter of judgement on whether mr. or mrs. was needed in a particular situation...in the end it's a matter of personal preference from the individual that determines how they're addressed. :)
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:11 #28232

The rule only tends to hold true for those who:
  1. ...have something to lose (rank, title, etc.).
  2. ...should know better because it's been explained to them.
  3. ...have an example to follow.
I thank you, Grand Master Jon, my Master, for keeping this open for posting. Though I am neither making a demand nor trying to \"run the show\" or anything like that, these were what I was taught and the seem (to me) be reasonable.

However, the above rules suggest that the responsibility lies in those who are ranked addressing one another by rank, even equals. But there is a danger that I see, as well. It is the attachment to the title and rank, and its associated power and authority. While I will do as you ask, could you respond to this aspect, so that I might understand it better?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:30 #28233

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
I have noticed that you have proposed this issue of attachment to titles very often RedHeron, which from my point of view indicates that you have some kind of issue with or experiences involving titles. I am not aware of any personal attachment to titles or fears of loosing it, so unfortunately I am unable to respond to that. What I am really afraid of loosing is my job and not being able to feed my daughter or provide a good education. I can however tell you about the amount of commitment, time and money invested in TOTJO which involves being a Master, the less obvious side which doesn`t seem to be the cause of much thought or scandal. As I already said this is Temple of the Jedi Order, a Jedi spirituality, a Jedi system of philosophy, which (as FAQ) clearly explains includes yes titles but also their DUTIES. Everyone of us is a guest here in a house if you like, this is a priveledge and not a right. Or which house do you walk into and dictate the way things are to be run because you don`t like it? It is all about respect, understanding why we are here, giving as much as we can for the benefit of others and keeping your feet firmly grounded on the floor of reality.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:37 #28234

• Tiamat
  • Master
Apprentice Redheron, if I may a moment. Most of us Masters, Knights relgate the notations of rank with one another for in past issues it has confused new members and has often been the cause of disrespect.

I can tell you from my POV, I request new members to address me by my title until I and they have come to know one another. Not out of basis for rank or title but out of basis for respect. After a time the rank becomes a nonissue with those that have known each other. For instance when I speak with your Master, I call him by his name and the same with Br. John for we have built a repoire of friendship. This is not meant to create attachments to titles or rank, but with an Order this size, a line of \"succession or order\" is necessary.

Many here holding rank do not tend to naturally hold their titles for it is just that a title. It is the actions and words of those members who define them and not their rank.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 14:58 #28235

The issue with attachment to titles is indeed an experience of my own. I have both seen and (regrettably) committed abuses because of such attachment in the past (and luckily, was able to somewhat remedy the damage when I realized it). But I also tend to follow the examples I am given (point #3 on the list I wrote). I have explained my understanding and beliefs; it was not my intent to make a demand, but to understand the demand which has been made, and to avoid my own issues with regard to titles and ranks. It was not intended as an affront, or to disrespect the obvious level of commitment you have.

My question is still unanswered, Master Jon, and so I'm going to try to rephrase it:

How are we to proceed without attachment to a title, if titles of rank are the primary means of address?

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 15:14 #28236

• Tiamat
  • Master
I have taken no disresect from this post, but find that clarity of the knowledge or answer you seek to be a good thing. If one is to understand one just needs to ask, but bear in mind it may not always be the answer you sought.

Re:Grand Masters, Masters, Senior Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 24 Jan 2010 15:59 #28241

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The attachment to titles question is reasonable and there's an answer.

Attachment to titles by masters there may be in some but it's about helping students develop new good habits or reminding them of old ones. A Jedi has a certain dignity that includes being a pleasant person.

It's a small token to ask and even smaller to pay folks who are helping you get something at no cost or demand.

Founder of The Order
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Article: This is why Poor People's Bad Decisions M... (Last post by carlos.martinez3)
    • The way i see it, my own opinion, regardless of status, financial or what ever, people make poor decisions. This world is full of people who blame poor decisions on circumstances. Regardless of circumstances you should make the right choices. Now, i was poor, i grew up slumming on the streets for quite some time. It is up to the individual to change their fate so to speak. Many times we have the opportunity to take full control of our lives. I hope this article helps us to think on our choices. I am a living breathing example it is possible to change circumstances and not blame but own your own life. Carlos
    • Jediism, connect multiple communitys and orders. [... (Last post by Doomeniek)
    • Quote: Boy I have learned a lot and my opinion has changed so rapidly I don't think I've even posted half the "conclusions" I came to before this... I think people are forgetting the "It is what it is". It's nice to have dreams. Gives us something to strive for. But I think it would be counter intuitive to try to herd all these cats. The community will grow stronger and develop its identity over time...or it will cease to be. Personal responsibility is the key here. We need leaders by example and about 3 generations to have what many here seem to think should happen over night. The BEST THING YOU CAN DO TO UNIFY THE JEDI is develop your Jedi path and stay active in the community. It will all come in time. I have to agree, being active in the community is soo important, this also gives people (well me at least) some form Of responsability for the community. Increases also to look behind the screenname of someone and more at the person behind it. This brings people together.
    • Discussion 0 - Introduction to the Monomyth (Last post by jheitzenrater)
    • Discussion 0- Introduction to the Monomyth 1. Re-read Campbell's four functions of mythology. Now think about a myth which is important to you (feel free to use Star Wars, another example I gave, or any other beloved myth). Does it satisfy the four functions? How so? I chose the mythology surrounding the life of the Buddha, a particularly important figure to me. I feel that it satisfies each of the four functions of mythology in the following manner: Metaphysical Function- The life of the Buddha fulfills this by tapping into the human longing to understand what is and the lengths that one will go to for its discovery. When reading the life of the Buddha, we are left with a tremendous sense of amazement that an individual would push themselves through such a rigorous spiritual regime in order to escape suffering. His quest reaches out to us, showing us the way out of this repetitive existence, and showing us that happiness can be found anywhere and in anything. Cosmological Function- The Buddha's life really tackles this head on. The point of his quest was to discover the nature of existence, to figure out what is real, and for us to understand where we fit into all of it. His does a very good job of this, making the reader of his life well aware of how we fit in to it all and to discover true place within it. Sociological Function: This was a little more difficult to tie in because, generally speaking, the Buddha changed the common social order, at least from the spiritual perspective. However, I think this can be covered by him doing this as within a human framework. Buddha wasn't a divinity, he was just a man. Because of this, everything he did, any man can do. They way in which he did it, while challenging certain ideas at the time, was still within a manner and social context that allowed it to grow among the people. Pedagogical Function: This is at the heart of the Buddha's story, and his teaching are meant to guide one through the spiritual life. This is summed up quite nicely in the Zen parable about the Ox herder. By using the Buddha's life as a model of self discovery and spiritual inquiry, we can guide ourselves out of samsara and into an enlightened state. 2. Homer wrote the Odyssey around 700BC. George Lucas wrote Star Wars in the 1970s, over 2500 years later. Both were successful in creating enduring, beloved myths. Why do you think both followed the same structure? What does this tell you about the writers? How about the audience? I think they both followed the same structure for many of the same reasons that Joseph Campbell points out in his works. Stories such as these point to these subconscious human needs, drives, ideas, fears, etc...In a simpler explanation, we need these heroic figures; we need adventure, and discovery. We need to know about ourselves, and how we fit into everything. Stories of an epic nature fulfill this need, and they do so very well. What this can tell us about the writers is that they have realized this about themselves. They see that people's lives model this pattern. Some do so in extreme ways such as Lawrence of Arabia, or Ibn Battuta. Others do so in less literal but sometimes even more dramatic ways. Stephen Hawking falls under this category. These examples and countless others serve as an example of what can be achieved in the crucible of life, each one exemplifying a life well lived. This is why it relates to us so well. In metaphor, or otherwise, these stories are our stories. We are them and they are us. Their humanity is evident, and yet they overcome themselves and the obstacles laid out before them in an almost non human manner. It lets us dream and encourages us to reach beyond ourselves towards something much, much greater. 3. Read this article on the collective unconscious. How do you feel about it? Does the collective unconscious seem like a realistic idea to you? How does it relate to a belief in the Force? The collective unconscious is a very real thing to me. We see a rise in differing psychological tides, only evident when they manifest themselves into the world at large. However, there is a very real, physical phenomenon that takes place in this collective unconscious level, that is only now being identified and understood. Experiments at Princeton point to a global consciousness that has a physical effect on the world. Here is a link to the experiment: noosphere.princeton.edu/ Experiments such as this provide evidence of a physical framework that underlies this notion of collective unconsciousness. It ties in nicely with other physical peculiarities like entanglement and wave function collapse. This, I think, is where the force that we all believe in resides. It is universal, and only now are we beginning to discover it and understand it. 4. The Hero's Journey tells the tale of a single person undergoing challenges and becoming something greater than they were for the benefit of that which they believe in. How does this relate to the Temple of the Jedi Order, and your personal path as a Jedi? Although I am new to the ways here of instruction here, it seems apparent that they are meant to be transformational. Someone new to Jediism may or may not have been exposed to these ideas prior to reading or learning about them here. In a way similar to the transformation that takes place when one enters the military, here at the Temple, we are guided from the beginning, to a new way of thinking, undergoing rigorous intellectual challenges for the benefit of others. We see this in our tenants, we see this in our creed, we see this in our teachings, and we see this in our maxims. Personally, (and for me, rather fortunately), I feel that my moment of greatest challenge has already occurred, in dealing with the death of two close family members. The grieving associated with their loss has been my biggest challenge and the source of my greatest transformation. I went out into the world a seeker because of it. It is what has led me here. Because of this, my thoughts on the universe align quite with the path of the Jedi. There will be other discoveries, no doubt, and there should be. The Jedi's path gives me another way to do that, to become part of something much greater than me.
    • How can we be taken seriously? (Last post by Alan)
    • Thanks, Adder. All my posts are for the benefit of the Order and can be used or placed anywhere the Council wishes. I also take requests when time allows. B) Personally, in reference to the Topic Title, the Temple of the Jedi Order can be taken seriously because its beliefs are 'theologically' more mature, clearly developed in reference to other religions (Daoism, Zen, etc.) , and importantly, not reliant upon a fictional film series and its spin-off novels.
    • American Jedi (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Ally, I have full confidence that Laurent will honor our efforts and hard work to help him create this film. He himself is working on all the edits and assembly of the film and will, I'm sure, pick the best parts of our efforts and leave out the bad. Force knows I stumbled on my words alot and my swordsmanship was miserable next to Mindas with a spear (Grumbles) put a spear in mindas's hands and you may as well withdraw XD Anyways As Alex said. Keep your eyes on the Facebook page American Jedi, there will be spoiler clips posted. Other than Opie I do not think many of us have seen any of the filmed work. (I know I havn't) So us in the film are waiting on the edges of our seats with the rest of the community. Support the efforts by joining the FB Page. Hitting the "Like" and commenting with questions. Im sure the Knights and Laurnet himself will be happy to answer as they come. On a personal note Thank you. Hannigan, Tanner. It warms my heart to see supportive friends here <3 *bows deep*
    • An Answer for Unification- please read I know it's... (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: An individual is an individual- but the question isn't how can individual Jedi be taken seriously, it's "How can Jedi be taken seriously". Tell me, if someone that were a Scientologist were to run for office, do you believe people would take him seriously? As it stands, I know a Jedi (he's even got works in the Great Jedi Holocron) that is running for Congress- in order to do our best in supporting him, we've ensured his real life name has been wiped from the records. He has also pulled out of the community since he started down a political path. He is still Jedi in every sense of the word- and only a select few will ever know what he has accomplished as a Jedi. With any luck, maybe one of the old guard will survive him and log the story in our history- who knows it might be me. But don't you think it a bit of a tragedy that by just being affiliated with the community might prevent them from achieving some great things? Things greater than you or me? Or maybe even that a Jedi running for Congress? Interesting, and quite the conundrum... I am in a low level governmental elected position... I cant really see it being detrimental, but, I can only really see through my own eyes... Ive thought about running for something that is able to do a little more good, but, I have some reservations, and concerns that being a Jedi doesnt come close to, lol... When they (inevitably) start throwing up the "honoring of God", they may look sideways at a Jedi... But, if I ever do run for a higher office? I will use it as my major selling point, lol....
    • Return and Confusion (Last post by jedi_roz)
    • Welcome Back Silvermane! When it calls you time is irreverent. We are here when you need us. Take a deep breath, know you are among friends and find solace. Good luck with your journey!
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 0 - Introduction to the Monomyth now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...tion-to-the-monomyth PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD
    • HAPPINESS (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each Bows Some more :) The Magic Of Positive Thinking/The Power Of The Subconscious Mind The magic of positive thinking is real. Adopting behaviours like positive self talk and daily positive affirmations can change the brain's structure and ultimately influence the subconscious mind. So how does the power of positive thinking work its magic in your mind? Together, the conscious and subconscious minds direct the show that is your life. So altering their function will lead to new and different ways of being. Let's begin with a few definitions: The Subconscious Mind: It's worth noting that the "subconscious mind" I'm speaking of, is what Freud called the "unconscious mind". There is no subconscious mind in psychoanalysis. It is more of a new age, self development term. So when referring to the subconscious mind, I'm talking about that part of the mind that stores feelings, perceptions, complexes, beliefs and desires that are all outside of our conscious awareness, yet have a powerful influence over the actions and behaviours we take in every moment. The unconscious mind is associated with the dreaming, reflecting, meditating and sleeping state. It is intuitive, easily making associations and connections between thoughts, ideas and feelings. It does your perceiving and feeling. The Conscious Mind: The conscious mind is the antithesis of the subconscious mind. It does all of your intellectual thinking. It's the part of your mind responsible for your self-talk, the endless stream of mind chatter that can on occasion almost send you crazy. The conscious mind likes logical order and sequential information. It likes things to make sense, to have reason. At any one time, the conscious mind can manage awareness of about seven or eight bits of information. The Magic Of Positive Thinking: The Power Of Your Subconscious Mind While we like to think we have conscious control over what we attract, what we do in life, and how we behave, the truth is, the subconscious has most of the control. So when you aren't attracting what you want in life, it's an indication that unconsciously you have low expectations for yourself. Even if on a conscious level you make every effort to achieve something, unless your unconscious carries synergistic expectations, then it will be difficult to achieve. The Magic Of Positive Thinking: Programming The Subconscious Mind Information is received by the subconscious mind from the conscious mind. Your conscious mind perceives the world through your senses. It then attaches a judgment to these thoughts that creates a feeling. The feeling is then lodged into your unconscious mind as a belief. Since all of your unconscious beliefs were first conscious thoughts, it stands to reason that you can change or reprogram your subconscious mind by actively adopting new thinking. This is where the magic of positive thinking comes into play! Using The Magic Of Positive Thinking To Impact Your Life Become aware of your negative programming and beliefs. For example, perhaps growing up you were teased (as so many kids are) about a facial feature or your sports ability. And now, no matter what you do, you cannot see yourself as anything but ugly or anything but a klutz. In each of these cases, the negative beliefs you want to reprogram are "I am ugly" and "I am a klutz". Activate the power of positive thinking: start feeding your conscious mind with new beliefs. At this stage, it's not important that you agree with your new belief, what's important is that it's motivating to you and you'd like to believe it to be true. So in each case, the new beliefs you would want to instill in yourself are "I am truly beautiful, inside and out" and "I am good at sports/I am comfortable in my body". Continue feeding your mind stimulus that aligns with these statements. Meditation (especially binaural brain beat meditations and hypnosis are like super vitamins at this.) They help you achieve a relaxed state where its much easier to accept and integrate positive self talk. You can also incorporate positive daily affirmations and visualization exercises to help make change more rapid. Overtime, as you keep feeding yourself new positive stimulus the negative thoughts you've become so used to hearing will become quieter. Through repeated exposure to your new beliefs, you will start to change your perception of yourself in these areas. At first you'll notice the change in small things. Perhaps you'll decide to take up a sport or if you're belief was that you are ugly, perhaps you'll notice that you suddenly feel more sexy and confident and you might start to dress differently to reflect this. The main point to remember is that you can practice the magic of positive thinking in your life by controlling what thoughts you focus on. It's not an over claim to say that positive thinking is one of the best self help solutions available. It can do wonders for your life.

There are 137 visitors, 6 guests and 35 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, Streen, Firewolf, Jestor, ren, Brian, Wescli Wardest, Adhara, Desolous, Reliah, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, ckott, Arcade, Talariq, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, wesleycook74, tzb, jadedbehan, carlos.martinez3, TambelSadera, AlexanderJ.W, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Revan Falton, Doomeniek, jheitzenrater, Quae-Do Lumen, Rahm Atuc.

Follow Us