Prequel Haters Gon Hate - But why? (BE nice...)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64978 by

Darren wrote: Maybe it's been said already...Someone mentioned Qui-Gon and Grevious as being characters introduced in an episode and being killed in that episode...well, so was Obi-Wan in the Original Trilogy. I had to put that in there.

That's a very good point - I never thought of that! And I don't think it was mentioned before. Great job.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64979 by
That is so true! I remember playing the demo for Jedi Power battles on PS1, I never got to buy it, but I played that demo over a bazillion times!!! XD I loved Star Wars battlefield 2, on the PS2, it was one of my favs. I have to admit though, at Celebration Station, they had this AWESOME Star Wars arcade game, were you got to duel with Darth Vader as Luke Skywalker in 1st person, and it was amazing. I spent all of my monies on that, but it was worth it. I never got to play the Bounty Hunter game based off of Jango Fett, but I did read all the game mags had to offer on it. (Jango and Boba were my favs from Episode 2.)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64980 by

hellisforhorses wrote:
Reliah...THANK YOUUU!!! I'll admit, there is a bit of competition between IV and V for my top spot, but Revenge of the Sith is a definite 2nd/3rd placer, and by far the best one of the new trilogy! I feel like Anakin and Obi-Wan developed their characters considerably from II to III. Now don't get me wrong, Revenge is not perfect, but it is one of the greats. The only thing that could have made it more epic is if Liam Neison hadn't gotten into a wreck and was able to appear as Qui-Gon, as he had planned on doing.

Agreed.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64981 by

Fortesque wrote:
There is also the effect the prequels had on gaming. I love games, though having no console of my own makes it difficult to play. Without the prequels, there would be no Old Republic, no Battlefront, no upcoming 1313.

I also LOVED the Force Unleashed game (at least the first one)and I think we owe the prequels for that as well...the Jedi Temple...the Jedi Purge...etc.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64982 by
My last post got me to thinking, while I harped on how much I loved Episode III, I never mentioned how disappointed I was with Episode II. But before I get into that, I wanna get something off of my chest. I like Episode I. There I said it. I think Jar-Jar was pointless, and Jake Lloyd wasn't a good child actor, and Haley Joe Osmond would've made a much better Anakin, but that is just trivial things. The fighting scenes were pretty awesome, and although I bash on Lloyd's acting abilities, or lack thereof, I still enjoyed the podracing. But Episode II...ugh.. While Ewan still did a pretty good job as Obi-Wan, Anakin had almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and the same can be said about Padme. They weren't good in this at all. (Minus the one awesome scene where Anakin goes beast mode on the Sandpeoples. That was pretty cool.) Jango and Boba Fett were awesome. I loved all of there scenes, and was genuinely moved when Boba held Jango's helmet in sorrow after Jango died. I also enjoyed the Clone Trooper story arch, and thought it was well done. The thing I feel was the worst thing about Episode II though was the fight scene before Yoda vs Dooku. I felt robbed when Christopher Lee (who I love in Dracula) and Anakin had it out. First of all, why didn't Obi-Wan put up more of a fight?! He was amazing against Maul, now before you all say 'Dooku is better than Maul, I get that, but that doesn't change the fact Kenobi could've lasted a minute longer before getting pwoned! Secondly, The majority of the fight was just the glow of the lightsabers on their faces and sound effects. I know Lee is old, but come on, they did great when he fought Yoda, couldn't they afford to keep the stunt double a little longer?!

This is why my list is as follows: V, III, IV, VII, I, II. :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64983 by

SeanChing wrote:

Fortesque wrote:
There is also the effect the prequels had on gaming. I love games, though having no console of my own makes it difficult to play. Without the prequels, there would be no Old Republic, no Battlefront, no upcoming 1313.

I also LOVED the Force Unleashed game (at least the first one)and I think we owe the prequels for that as well...the Jedi Temple...the Jedi Purge...etc.

lol how did I leave that out?! :P That was definitely an awesome game!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64991 by
In the original trilogy The Force was something that was larger than yourself. Something intangible and ever present that let you influence and understand the world around you in the most subtle and profound way

The Lightsaber too was used only as a weapon of last resort, when someone took out their lightsaber you knew that shizzle was about to go down. That something really big was going to happen. For most of the time you never saw them

That is the beauty of a space opera

Compare this to the prequels. The Force is something that is never explored mystically or in depth. It is used constantly during battle scenes as opposed to being something grander and unknowable

The lightsaber is used constantly throughout the film. Nearly every single fight there is a lightsaber. Ask yourself if that is because George Lucas was using them artistically to explain something big was about to go down? Or was he using them simply because they looked cool

The prequels are basically this: "Lets include lots of shooting and action and flashy lights and explosion noises and that will make a good film." No.

That is the shallowness of someone who treats his audience like fools

There is no depth to the prequels. It is one thing after another after another with a poorly connected plot line and bright lights with loud noises put in between

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #65016 by

SeanChing wrote:

RiddleNox wrote:
Plus... I might be straight.. but... EWAN MCGREGOR. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

...WOAH....

I'm inclined to agree with RiddleNox there I'm afraid. Ewan McGregor has his own set of rules regarding sexiness. If you ever saw Velvet Goldmine you would:
a) Agree with me wholeheartedly;
b) Wonder about my sexual orientation, or;
c) Both of the above.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #65017 by
YOU BET! haha.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #65101 by
What I have noticed is that younger people, my peers, and generally those who grew up with Prequels like them better than OT. Most of the Prequel haters out there are older people who had "their" original trilogy - I bet it was something almost sacred and important in their lives (the mythology etc.) and then Lucas decided to make the new movies. They were different, of course, as they were designed for younger audiences (as mentioned before). It was a violation of sorts for many of older fans.

I personally as a child loved the rather straightforward messages of Prequels. Not only they were full of action but also had wisdom that I was able to understand. I couldn't grasp the usually subtler teachings of OT when I was little; back then it was more like a somehow confusing and weird action movie. When I became older I started to appreciate them more, but I still have a lot of sentiment regarding Prequels.

I assume that really the fight between those who hate and those who like these 3 movies is in fact mostly a fight between two different generations. Both of the trilogies have got their flaws but they are both also pretty good.

That's just my opinion of course (:

(Also, Ewan McGregor. If nothing else, he's the reason to love Prequels.)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi