Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Where Do You a Draw the Line? (Last post by Gisteron)
    • No amount of power makes a person or his choices correct. Presuming that they still are, I have to still operate within the scope of what I perceive and can do. Some of the faithful camp will tell us that morality is based on their deity or its nature yet none of them could so far answer how they came to understand that their god is the good and not the evil one of the story other than by their own moral compass or on no grounds whatever. The mere fact that this hypothetical deity would threaten me with horrible consequences to anyone for what I choose not to do for it takes away all love and all respect for that deity out of me. I find the concept of worship repulsive to begin with, but I will even less be coerced into it, and if people will suffer for it, that'll be his choice, not mine. I might have trouble living with myself knowing what I could have prevented, but if I did I wouldn't retain any dignity to be called a self to live with; and yes, you have permission to call this selfish if you want. I'm easy to be asked, I'm somewhat harder to be ordered, but coersion with threats of violence is just not a way of talking to me, whatever the demand may be. I draw my lines pretty early on this one. This is an ideological and purely theoretical stance. I realize that in practice even a mere mortal human could coerce me into a thing or two by, say, threatening people I love, for I am, too, bound by the same attachments and emotions as the rest of us.
    • Sea Lions (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Source: Me Complaint: you Sea Lions disturb my sleep when it's my night for watch...and you will undoubtedly do so again tonight... Lol- I've got an entire pier of them just outside the cutter right now... I hate sea lions... Lol
    • A Serious Question for Those Seeking "Unifica... (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Speaking to Brenna's last point, that may be all the unity we need. The community is not immune to infighting, feuds, or the like. I'd like to think, however, that we could put our nonsense aside and stick up for each other in a pinch.
    • Where is the line between freedom of speech... (Last post by Alan)
    • The working definition of a religion in my World Religions college course is from Invitations to World Religions, Brodd, Little, et al, Oxford University Press. "Religion is a cultural system integrating teachings, practices, modes of experience, institutions, and artistic expression that relates people to what they perceive to be transcendent" (page 9). There are very many other definitions of religion, and the first chapter of the textbook covers a variety of them. In general, each definition is an attempt to describe a system of symbols that inform practices and motivations. The consistent question from which the most controversy arises is what one means by transcendent? For many of us here, members of this Order, in this 21st century digital temple (i.e. website) the Force is transcendent. And therein we begin our discussion. We share our thoughts and experiences regarding the meaning and subsequent practices regarding this transcendent symbol. To assert that what we do here does not exhibit the characteristics of a religion is erroneous. That this Temple chooses to restrict and regulate some kinds of posts is not a denial of free speech nor an infringement on the principle of free speech. Free speech still exists even if this Order encourages and enforces decorum.
    • How to stay dedicated to working out. (Last post by Brenna)
    • There are a few common reasons why motivations flag. Right goal - is the goal challenging enough so youre not bored? Too big that you're putting it off? Right motivation - What is the real reason you want to work out? What are you really trying to achieve? When you go beyond the obvious and find what it is you really want from the end result, the motivation becomes a lot easier. Right action plan - is your plan realistic? Does it have a time frame? does it fit with the rest of your life? Have you put in place things that will support you? Just some thoughts.
    • Non-attachment (Last post by Doomeniek)
    • Quote: Below is the contents of a document I ran into years ago. I lost the only hard copy I had, but recently recovered one. Very pleased! The document is part of the sober support literature. AA and the sort. In my professional life, I have worked with a number of addicts, so being conversant in the literature is helpful. Non-attachment is a challenging topic, I think. I regard it as useful food for thought, though some I prefer to others. I have included the list in its entirety, save for grammatical corrections. I do not regard the list as necessarily definitive, but certainly a clarifying piece. I hope you find it useful. I invite useful comment. Letting Go * To let go doesn't mean to stop caring. It means I can’t do it for someone else. * To let go is not to cut myself off. It’s the realization that I can’t control another. * To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences. * To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands. * To let go is not to try to change or blame another. I can only change myself. * To let go is not to care for, but to care about. * To let go is not to fix, but to be supportive. * To let go is not to judge, but to allow another to be a human being. * To let go is not to be in the middle, arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own outcomes. * To let go is not to be protective. It is to permit another to face reality. * To let go is not to deny, but to accept. * To let go is not to nag, scold, or argue, but to search out my own shortcomings and correct them. * To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires, but to take each day as it comes, and to cherish the moment. * To let go is not to criticize or regulate anyone, but to try to become whatever I dream I can be. * To let go is not to regret the past, but to grow and live for the future. * To let go is to fear less and love more. Thank you for this
    • Being connected via the Force (Last post by Adder)
    • What they said ^^ :lol: The relaxation from mindfulness training is only one part of the possible results - you could also eventually develop a higher sensitivity/awareness of the senses as the training turns off distractions and narrows your awareness into a more conscious 'now'. I think it's why Buddhists focus so much on compassion, as compassion is a directed manifestation of excess sensitivity to ones environment. So I'd go as far as to say the more one meditates etc, the more they can achieve that connection your asking about. Beyond that, once you've got a good connection accessible to you, I use visualizations of logical structures and relationships, and an understanding of science to develop a depth of awareness beyond my senses - so in my mind I can overlay extra information on what I otherwise perceive. Start simple and slowly build up complexity remembering the basis of your path to keep from falling off the path and getting distracted. For specific techniques, part of the journey is finding what works best for you at any moment, and what I do ends up being determined by circumstance... though I am trying to formulate a concrete path to use and reflect upon - but it changes every day!!!!
    • Real Jedi vs Fictional Jedi (Last post by rugadd)
    • Also, I love finding reasons to quote the opening of "Soul Eater": "A sound spirit dwells within a sound mind and sound body."
    • Better than Netflix (Last post by Christiandorian)
    • very true . Focus on what makes you happy. seeing good things.. watching happy people , watching happy things . bring that into ones life. So when you watch and see and learn of good happy ideas..nice places, people smiling , laughing having a good time, Sunshine shining , learn of what makes you happier and power that. brings more happiness into your life now
    • Cultural Stories Which Involve The Force from Cult... (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: Some aspects can be found in Christianity, among those who are non-trinitarian, and see the "Holy Spirit" as an impersonal active force... *waves* Christian here, checking in. Though I'm mostly an armchair theologian and part-time mystic, I do feel the need to point out in discussions like this that there is not a 1:1 direct analogue to the Force in Christianity. (potentially off-topic slightly) Spoiler: Let me elaborate, slightly. Almost every time this discussion comes up (seeing the Force in Christianity), the focus is turned on the Holy Spirit as an impersonal force with little thought given to other possibilities. This may actually work wonderfully for non-trinitarian messianic Abrahamists, and I have no doubt that many of them consider this their personal response. However, among trinitarians, who believe the Holy Spirit is a very intelligent, very personal being, other possibilities to recognize the Force at work do present themselves. One of these is the idea that Sophia, the feminine personification of Wisdom so spoken of in Proverbs, also possesses a motive nature that would allow us to exert the force of our "wisdom" (or our will) upon the world. Another is the idea that our rauch, our very spirit and "wind", emanating from the breath of God given to Adam, imbues us with a bit of the divine ourselves, allowing us to affect changes upon the world (distinct from Ruach HaKodesh, the Holy Spirit of Divine God). Some might consider it to be a manifestation of the shekinah in our daily lives, the manifestation of the Divine Presence allowing us to be capable of these things. Others might think it is a function of the Law Universal; that since we are given dominion over the Earth, the earth does its part to obey us at times. It could be seen as an object lesson, that our minds and bodies are the microcosm that affects the macrocosm of creation. It could be the echoes of God, or our power as His heralds. There really are many options. I, personally, prefer to view it as an underlying thread; a tool placed by the Creator to allow for a greater understanding of the reality in which we live, but is ultimately distinct from Him, as the voice is separate from its speaker. I like the idea of this thread. I can't wait to see some responses.
    • MJ Hannigan (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: Just to clarify, this wasn't so much about what he said about the Temple but rather about the way he treated individual people, wasn't it? I'm asking because I'm right there on the edge, too, and in order to know when I've cross some lines I need to know approximately where they are. I know Akkarin responded, but, let me quote a fairly new document that I added a while back for people making accounts, and some here may not have seen it... Quote: www.templeofthejediorder.org/component/c...ice-for-registration Rules, written in black and white, feel like a challenge to many, and those folks like to see how far things can be pushed. By being able to search the internet to find us, we assume each individual to have an average intelligence (or better), and to understand that the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law" are different. We are a "spirit of the law" community. We do not remove folks for one offence, for five offences, or for fifty offences. There is no set number. When the burden of a persons membership outweighs their benefit, they will be removed. As you are about to sign up, two rules, in particular, are of importance. You are fine Gisteron.... Your actions, and that of others, was not directly insulting or belittling... Perhaps overzealousness in search of the truth, :lol:... Truth as seen by you...;) The 'line' you are looking for is invisible, and never quite in the same place twice... I hope that answers your question...:)
    • Its been a punny kind of day (Last post by DavidMikky)
    • I want some friends I can go level with or take some ops. Hard to find people on during my play time because I'm in the USA. I am currently Protopharma but I can switch on my own to whichever faction. I prefer anti-city.
    • Are Jedi Judgmental? (Last post by Adder)
    • There is way too much something in this thread.... which I thought was a good topic on its own so I'm going to be judgmental and lock this thread :silly: Other mods can unlock and delete this post as they see fit.

There are 115 visitors, 5 guests and 40 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jon, Shadouness, Firewolf, Jestor, 666, Lightstrider, Nakis, Adder, Darren, discordor, Proteus, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, tzb, Kaverael, Cabur Senaar, Chadius4, Revan Falton, Jeffery Williams, Quae-Do Lumen, Oneiros, Torran, Sonor Zodaan, Mos-An Hobel.

Follow Us