Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 9 months ago #196613 by ren
Before anyone reads Akkarin's post:

No, holosuites are not a reality yet. No characters from a novel are about to take over the ship, there isn't even a ship. Heck the food replicators not only fail to replicate anything, they also just let whatever dirty dishes you put in them pile up there instead of recycling them into electricity or plasma somethings.
In other words, everything is just as rubbish as it was yesterday.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196644 by
Is it just one laser that makes the fairy? The various parts are in the program?
Or is the fairy comprised of multiple micro lasers?

That it has a discernible texture to touch is interesting.
I had lasers hit my skin to line me up for radiation, but I did not feel the laser. Different types of lasers?

The possibilities for these holograms is vast.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #196781 by
Hey everyone

With respect to the opening post, I would just like comment to Ren, that to let you know a Holosuite is nearly possible. And also I want to add some videos that also demonstrates the power of Holographic Technology, it blows the mind. The possibilities are endless. The last two videos below are not quite holographic but an excellent tourist attraction in China. The Videos below is called 7D 360° Cinema.

Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

More
8 years 9 months ago #196785 by Gisteron

Ariane wrote: ... I would just like comment to Ren, that to let you know [sic] a Holosuite is nearly possible.

Actually, no, it isn't... The thing about holosuites is that they project matter, or at least solidity, into space. The extent to which that is possible in theory (and that is nowhere near the extent seen in Star Trek) is dwarfed by the extent to which it is not feasible in practice (there is only so much energy at our disposal). Interactive, virtual, audio-visual environments are fine though. That's about as far as holograms (and audio playback) go, and everything else is something else.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #196905 by
Dear Gisteron,

I apologise for my arrogance I shall ensure I use my language more precisely next time, I value your feedback. Normally I would have provided counter arguments, but I endeavour to change my bad habits. While I agree with your comments I do not completely agree. I find that I must develop my insight so that may better understand my on-line peers. Not that I wish to limit the definition of a Jedi I believe one will always try to create a rapport with enemies and friends and not be as oppositional and adversarial even in debate.

Gisteron wrote: The thing about holosuites is that they project matter, or at least solidity, into space.

While I agree with your comment for academic purpose I will explain: the method of creating hologram. Light molecules are amplified and focused the bombardment of these photons exchange energy with molecules in the air and are able to form a new form of matter, this is a sort of a 'projected matter'. Although I agree with you Gisteron this projected matter is still unlike a 'Holosuite', those molecules require higher viscosity to create a solid matter.

However through this type of augmented reality we could combine such technologies, such as 3D Stereoscopic glasses, using circular polarized light with special polarized glasses to create the illusion of binocular vision combined with projected light onto the room and also utilising the effect of energising photons to create free floating video images, could create an extremely realistic 'Holosuite'. That type of technology could happen today and in the future perhaps even creating solid matter from photons using this new form of matter.

Love & Light
Peace & Blessings

More
8 years 9 months ago #196922 by Gisteron

Ariane wrote: While I agree with your comment for academic purpose I will explain: the method of creating hologram. Light molecules...

There is no such thing as a "light molecule". Molecules are chemical compounds. Light is not a chemical element.

... are amplified...

One does not simply amplify a light particle. There is no metric for the amplitude of individual light particles. Their energy is strictly and exclusively a function of their electromagnetic frequency and the intensity of light stems from only the total count of light quanta absorbed during exposure and is, as such, in fact, discrete and not continuous.

... these photons exchange energy with molecules in the air...

Photons can be absorbed or emitted. They cannot "exchange" energy with anything because they are energy and cannot be split or shared. Exchange of energy is not a concept applicable on subatomic scales. Usually by that we would mean something like heat or momentum transfer - inherently macroscopic processes.

... and are able to form a new form of matter, this is a sort of a 'projected matter'.

Source, please... Maybe my understanding is outdated. I thought until now that matter is something that at least has rest mass, albeit that rest maybe a fuzzy word depending on how deep one wants to dive. Is this projected matter actually matter? How does it respond to force fields? Viscosity is again a rather macroscopic effect. Perhaps my calling the desired effect "solidity" was a poor choice of words, seeing as any small gas cloud projected into existence through nothing but light would be no less impressive than a block of lead poofing into sight out of nowhere.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
8 years 9 months ago #196929 by Adder
Looking at the OP, a way to make a lightsaber perhaps!?
An array of them drawing spirals upwards to a defined end point, enough emiiters going quick enough and it could appear solid - a blade of plasma!! It would be hollow and they'd just pass through each other.... so it sort of defeats the point I guess
:pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 9 months ago #196932 by rugadd
I love it when people "science". It's like listening to Gordi describe how something works.

rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197102 by
Dear Gisteron,

Gisteron wrote: There is no such thing as a "light molecule". Molecules are chemical compounds. Light is not a chemical element.... are amplified...Source please

Gisteron wrote: Source, please... Maybe my understanding is outdated. I thought until now that matter is something that at least has rest mass, albeit that rest maybe a fuzzy word depending on how deep one wants to dive. Is this projected matter actually matter? How does it respond to force fields?

Thanks for your response, here is a complex answer and just a little bit of an update on physics regarding your question about light not having molecular structure. In a pioneering study according to the research, the research team has “managed to coax photons into binding together to form molecules,” thus creating ‘photonic molecules.’

Lukin said in a press release, “Most of the properties of light we know about originate from the fact that photons are massless, and that they do not interact with each other. What we have done is create a special type of medium in which photons interact with each other so strongly that they begin to act as though they have mass, and they bind together to form molecules. This type of photonic bound state has been discussed theoretically for quite a while, but until now it hadn't been observed."

I am unsure if the Opening Post is 'Plasma' or 'Photonic Molecules'. However Plasma would be attracted to Magnetic force field. And photonic molecules attracted by Gravity.

Prof. Lukin added, "It's not an in-apt analogy to compare this to light sabers. When these photons interact with each other, they're pushing against and deflect each other. The physics of what's happening in these molecules is similar to what we see in the movies."

Gisteron wrote: these photons exchange energy with molecules in the air... Photons can be absorbed or emitted. They cannot "exchange" energy with anything because they are energy and cannot be split or shared.

When Light slows down it is doing so because it exchanges energy with its environment. Light can be emitted from a variety of sources. The researcher utilized lasers to fire single photons into the atom clouds of rubidium. As the photon dances through its course, it slows down, sending atoms some energy, but exits the clouds with full energy. The researchers placed rubidium atoms into a vacuum chamber and froze it to a few degrees above zero degrees to create these photonic molecules.

In the next experiment, researchers began firing groups of two photons into the atom cloud promptly. The researchers found out that as the photons exit, they seemed like a single molecule. As explained, the two photons would dance through the atomic cloud like a single molecule and keeping that formation even after going out of the cloud is due to an effect called Rydberg blockade.

This breakthrough, with sadness to say, is not designed to act as a weapon for a more civilized age but for the future of quantum computing.

Here is a super complex answer: "The fundamental properties of light derive from its constituent particles—massless quanta (photons) that do not interact with one another. However, it has long been known that the realization of coherent interactions between individual photons, akin to those associated with conventional massive particles, could enable a wide variety of novel scientific and engineering applications. Scientists have demonstrated a quantum nonlinear medium inside which individual photons travel as massive particles with strong mutual attraction, such that the propagation of photon pairs is dominated by a two-photon bound state.

They achieved this through dispersive coupling of light to strongly interacting atoms in highly excited Rydberg states. We measure the dynamical evolution of the two-photon wavefunction using time-resolved quantum state tomography, and demonstrate a conditional phase shift exceeding one radian, resulting in polarization-entangled photon pairs. Particular applications of this technique include all-optical switching, deterministic photonic quantum logic and the generation of strongly correlated states of light. Also Professor Menon and his team were able to discover half-light, half-matter particles in atomically thin semiconductors (thickness ~ a millionth of a single sheet of paper) consisting of two-dimensional (2D) layer of molybdenum and sulfur atoms arranged similar to graphene. They sandwiched this 2D material in a light trapping structure to realize these composite quantum particles".

adder wrote: Looking at the OP, a way to make a lightsaber perhaps!?
An array of them drawing spirals upwards to a defined end point, enough emiiters going quick enough and it could appear solid - a blade of plasma!! It would be hollow and they'd just pass through each other.... so it sort of defeats the point I guess

Interesting theory Adder ceartinly possible yes we could create a light sabre but Light Sabre is in its infancy. Still worth a look still that type of light manipulation is still 'far out there'.

Story Source:

The above post is reprinted from materials provided by City College of New York. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. There a three research papers quoted in both posts and was published in the Sept. 25 issue of the online journal Nature. Source Click Here Journal Note: You need Membership to the Journal and join their mailing list to see the research....to the sum of £99 to read

The study was funded by the U.S. Army Research Laboratory's Army Research Office and the National Science Foundation through the Materials Research Science and Engineering Center -- Center for Photonic and Multiscale Nanomaterials.
Prof. Mikhail Lukin from Harvard University and Prof. Vladan Vuletic from MIT worked together in creating a new state of matter showing a very close similarity to the lightsaber Anakin Skywalker used to defend himself in Star Wars.

Xiaoze Liu, Tal Galfsky, Zheng Sun, Fengnian Xia, Erh-chen Lin, Yi-Hsien Lee, Stéphane Kéna-Cohen, Vinod M. Menon. Strong light–matter coupling in two-dimensional atomic crystals. Nature Photonics, 2014; 9 (1): 30 DOI: 10.1038/nphoton.2014.304

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi