The Sixth Extinction

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #193326 by
Replied by on topic The Sixth Extinction
I do not think extinction is mundane.

It will happen though. Deserve has nothing to do with it.

Does that mean we should not struggle to survive?

Of course not.

In any case, this thread was hardly geared toward solutions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts4s9gjCT04

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #193360 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic The Sixth Extinction
A positive outlook was what I started it on:

Our intelligence and our technology have given us the power to affect the climate. How will we use this power? Are we willing to tolerate ignorance and complacency in matters that affect the entire human family? Do we value short-term advantages above the welfare of the Earth? Or will we think on longer time scales, with concern for our children and our grandchildren, to understand and protect the complex life-support systems of our planet? The Earth is a tiny and fragile world. It needs to be cherished. [ Source ]
~Carl Sagan

So, yes, I did start this with hearing positive possibilities, as well as various concerns (and possible solutions to those concerns). Actually I tried to leave it pretty open-ended, but I certainly started it with a note of positivity directed at solutions to issues we face. "In any case, this thread was hardly geared toward solutions" isn't quite accurate.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi