The Force Explained

More
9 years 4 months ago #173044 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Re:The Force Explained
You seem very sure you understand Rosalyn but I think you're missing her point. You started a thread to explain the Force, but we all don't even here agree on what the Force is. We can have this discussion but because of that we will never find a universal answer.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Brenna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173045 by
Replied by on topic The Force Explained
It is 3 AM here... so, my post may not make sense. But, I answered the "Force" question earlier today already so it's fresh in my mind.

Here's the thing... The Force is not a thing. It is, instead, a verb. It is the connecting of everything in the Universe. Without the Force, there is an infinite number of disconnected atoms (insert your smallest subatomic particle here). With the Force, you have a connected Universe.

Is the Force universal? Well, what does that mean exactly? universal means, "of the Universe" right? I don't think so either. Maybe for different reasons, I'm not sure. The Force is a connecting between any and all objects, both material and immaterial. In this way, the Force gives us the opportunity to have a Universe we can live in. It literally provides the option for life as well.

The Force could be destroyed I think. I mean, yes, in a way, an action cannot be destroyed. Let's take a metaphor. Can you destroy a wave in the ocean? I'm not sure you can. A wave is just a description of an action, right? It is the ocean that manifests itself as a shape. So, when a wave dies, it goes back to being a part of the thing it came from... it was never really there in the first place. But, if you took away the ocean, then you would have no ability for a wave to be formed. In the same way, taking away the Universe would remove the possibility of a Force to connect the universe.

not all things are created by the Force. Rather, the Force provides the opportunity for things to be created. At least, that's how I understand it.

If our divine purpose is to emulate the Force, then we should spend our energies connecting.

---

Note: It's SO very late here. I apologize for the state of this post. haha. Also, these opinions are definitely just opinions... I don't think my view of the Force is a popular one. But, it's one I like to share when given the opportunity. It evolves and changes. But, I do think it's an interesting point of view on the matter. If you think I'm wrong, I love hearing other opinions. God knows it feels like I've read them all in the past ten years Ive been in the community. hahaha.

---
EDIT: I thought of one more thing. My view of the Force is actually concurrent with the Tao Te Ching... Which is why I like it.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173048 by
Replied by on topic Re:The Force Explained

Edan wrote: You seem very sure you understand Rosalyn but I think you're missing her point

My apologies, I felt I didn't address Rosalyn_J properly either. Just that some points were more prominent than others. I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree just to describe their idea of the force.

The point i think i am missing is that we are all opinionated about the force but it doesn't change how we behave...

Connar L. wrote: The Force could be destroyed I think. I mean, yes, in a way, an action cannot be destroyed. Let's take a metaphor. Can you destroy a wave in the ocean? I'm not sure you can. A wave is just a description of an action, right? It is the ocean that manifests itself as a shape. So, when a wave dies, it goes back to being a part of the thing it came from... it was never really there in the first place. But, if you took away the ocean, then you would have no ability for a wave to be formed. In the same way, taking away the Universe would remove the possibility of a Force to connect the universe.

Thanks for joining the thread, I like the idea of your wave analogy and removing the water. In fact Stephen Hawking said they were doing an experiment that could destroy the Universe and all rebirths of possible universes Destroy the Universe

Connor L. wrote: Is the Force universal? Well, what does that mean exactly?

It means there are no 'Universal Laws' such as our physics describe the small region of space we inhabit. And other laws are needed to be written for other parts of the universe. :)

Special message to Rosalyn I will empty my mind of my prejudices and approach life with a blank slate. :)

Peace and Blessings xx

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173049 by
Just been reading on the Temple forum, I think, of cause this opening post accurately describes Rosalyn's perspective of the force The force Explained click here

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173071 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic The Force Explained

Ariane wrote: Just been reading on the Temple forum, I think, of cause this opening post accurately describes Rosalyn's perspective of the force The force Explained click here

The Force is transcendent.

The Force is impossible to know directly, and can't be adequately described except by itself. You can't see or hear it; all you see or hear are things. Things come, things go, but the Force is that which is beyond mere things, and remains constant throughout even these seemingly universal transitions.

Until you understand the transcendent nature of the Force, you can't begin to approach knowledge of it.

My problem with this, is that the statement like many others are made with the assumption that the Force is unknowable, you can't see it or hear it, etc etc ad nauseum. That in my personal opinion is complete bs, as I don't need to "see it" or "hear it" to FEEL IT. This whole assumption that it is something different for everyone, that's wonderful if it works for you, as it is. But dont think for one minute that my knowledge of the Force relies upon my "believing" in it, as it does not.

My knowledge of the Force comes from experimentation, plain and simple. It IS life force, and it can be felt, cultivated, given, and taken. I respect the Tao, but I don't need it to describe the Force when I can experience it first hand. Why read a book or meditate upon swimming when I can actually dive in and do it myself, exactly.

Unlike the vast majority of people who have come to the TOTJO as Star Wars fans, my interest in life force brought me. The Chinese call it Chi, the Japanese call it Ki, the natives of the Pacific islands called it mana, and the yogi's in India call it Prana. Its simplest form is the breath. You CAN see it. Look at the diversity and celebrations of all the different cultures. You CAN hear it, listen to their music. You can even taste it, but i digress...

To think otherwise is to cut yourself from the source...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya, a67, Loudzoo

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173087 by

Zenchi wrote: The Force is transcendent.The Chinese call it Chi, the Japanese call it Ki, the natives of the Pacific islands called it mana, and the yogi's in India call it Prana. Its simplest form is the breath. You CAN see it. Look at the diversity and celebrations of all the different cultures. You CAN hear it, listen to their music. You can even taste it,

To think otherwise is to cut yourself from the source...

I completely agree with you Zenchi, that was my main contention with Rosalyn's post. We can know the force, completely, and become omnipotent. You can feel it working all around. You have to be highly skilled but its possible, in a hundred years we would have mastered physics. From then on we will learn more control and eventually even understand new laws of physics about the force.

In the future we will change at will between male and female and enhance ourselves to become more like Jedi Knights and evolve and adapt :D The future is awesome. Can the force such as (Prana or God, the force or Chi) itself provide humans with the power to control the force without anything but discipline and beliefs?

Or for example do we need to evolve more or are we already today able to become like Jedi. Or do we need to combine our human genome with Turritopsis dohrnii and other creatures like an electric eel an electric fish. It is capable of generating powerful electric shocks of up to 650 volts. Is the singularity against Jedi Teachings, the Jedi seem against technology rather they have Midichlorian to use the force..

Which brings me on nicely to the 'Singularitarian Principles'

Wikipedia wrote: Singularitarianism is a movement defined by the belief that a technological singularity—the creation of
superintelligence—will likely happen in the medium future, and that deliberate action ought to be taken to ensure that the Singularity benefits humans.

Source

yudkowsky wrote: The "Singularity" is a natural, non-mystical, technologically triggered event. The Singularitarians, are allied in the purpose of bringing about a natural event through natural means, not sitting in a circle chanting over a computer. There are thousands, perhaps millions, of stories and prophecies and rituals that allegedly involve something that could theoretically be described as "greater-than-human intelligence". What distinguishes the Singularitarians is that we want to bring about a natural event, working through ultratechnologies such as AI or nanotech, without relying on mystical means or morally valent effects.

Source

Sorry for the terrible state of the post i am having linguistic diarrhoea

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173100 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic The Force Explained
Trying to understand the Force: The act of missing the forest for the trees.

The question is - Can we properly talk about (what is essentially) the essence of unification by any means that involves dividing it up (labeling, measuring, examining, isolating, or any thought created out of an act of the ego)?

These days, when somebody asks me what I think the Force is... I show them music. :)

Hence, a thread I made some years ago, still very active today, which has become probably the largest thread on the forums - What Are You Listening To Right Now? Why is it, that among all these other threads, it is that one which is still so active and popular and not a thread about astronomy, or technology, or math?

I think it is because music (or even more basically, sound in general) is probably one of the most universally adequate ways to share communication about something like the Force, as opposed to verbal, or even visual communication. This is because the manifestation of sound may actually represent what we have come to all agree about, concerning the Force (the connection of everything). Sound is vibration, which, when blended together consistently enough, becomes, what we experience as "sound" - we don't interpret each individual vibration separately (each on/off instance of a wave for example) like we do when we look around and see separate things or ideas, but instead, as their coming together to create one unified presence. If we were to suddenly dissect the sound back into individual vibrations, we would no longer have the sound to experience. This is often what happens when someone tries to "explain the Force" - they take it apart and suddenly, we're no longer talking about it anymore. In that music thread, notice how we are not examining the music or trying to "explain it"... we are simply enjoying it. I feel that the experience of doing so is the only place where you might ever find any real understanding of it.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Kit, Edan, a67

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #173150 by
I'd like to give my insight into the idea, from a quantum point of view. But first let me explain a few things down at the quantum level.

Firstly, the quantum universe consists of particle-like objects. They a particles because they have mass. They are waves because they exhibit wave-like properties. And they are neither because they take up precisely no space at all. You can't see them because they're not there, and yet they are, and they interact with the world in big ways.

These 'particles' can tunnel through solid objects without going through them (imagine teleporting). They depend upon conscious thought, they require an observer. When you aren't watching, they're particles and waves. When you look, they pick one. And by picking one, they change the past. What you see is what they have always been. They are not limited by 'time'.

These 'particles' can become 'entangled'. No matter how far apart they are, they remain connected somehow. If you look at one particle, the other will immediately change to match its partner. No time delay, yet the information could have traveled from one side of the universe to the other.

With these things in mind, I believe there must be something behind it all. Something simpler, something to dictate the laws of physics, perhaps a form of binary or set of planes, but I think that this 'Force' may very well be something tangible and measurable sometime in the future. It explains how all things are connected throughout space and time, and gives purpose to our consciousness. Much like the old question of the tree falling in the forest, but this time I think the answer is something we're not prepared for. If we weren't around to see the cosmos, there's no reason why it would need to exist at all.

I know it's a lot, but I just think it's interesting to think of things from a different perspective, and to realize that science is not incompatible with the Force. At the frontier of science is the greatest quest for knowledge.

More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #173153 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The Force Explained

Ariane wrote: In the future we will change at will between male and female and enhance ourselves to become more like Jedi Knights and evolve and adapt :D The future is awesome. Can the force such as (Prana or God, the force or Chi) itself provide humans with the power to control the force without anything but discipline and beliefs?

Or for example do we need to evolve more or are we already today able to become like Jedi. Or do we need to combine our human genome with Turritopsis dohrnii and other creatures like an electric eel an electric fish. It is capable of generating powerful electric shocks of up to 650 volts.

Have you seen the movie 'Lucy' yet. I saw it on the weekend for the first time, it sounds a bit like what your thinking of there, but the movie is obviously still fiction (at the moment). I loved it BTW, if she hadn't of topped so many people I would have nominated her/it in the 'Jedi in Movies' thread here at TOTJO.

Some interesting quotes from it;

Warning: Spoiler!

Ariane wrote: Is the singularity against Jedi Teachings, the Jedi seem against technology rather they have Midichlorian to use the force..

Transhumanism talked about integrating technology and methods to evolve consciousness so that humanity could more directly benefit from the singularity. I don't think Jedi are anti-technology but depending on the level of integration it might blur the lines between human and cyborg, but who ever said only human's could be Jedi!?
:)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Adder.

More
9 years 4 months ago #173155 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic The Force Explained
:huh:

LVI :

Those who know don't talk.
Those who talk don't know. Close your mouth,
block off your senses,
blunt your sharpness,
untie your knots,
soften your glare,
settle your dust.
This is the primal identity. Be like the Tao.
It can't be approached or withdrawn from,
benefited or harmed,
honoured or brought into disgrace.
It gives itself up continually.
That is why it endures.

We waste a lot of valuable "is-ness" by trying to become something that we are not. Looking for an "explanation" is entertainment. It is a puzzle with a lot of pieces -- too many really to count. IF we try to count "pieces", that is ... But please, continue this ... indefinitely, if you feel like it. It is entertaining. ;)

That is the thing about the self-improvement racket ; we are always trying to become better. The paradox is, all our 'flaws' are already affectations of what we ourselves are not ... Are we sure that the better we're trying to become, imagined better by the 'flawed' mind, is really better than how we already are ?

We cannot 'will' ourselves to some sort of ascension ... nor toward "more" compassion, "more" forgiveness, "more" Love ... The Force doesn't have to be 'worked for'. Just get all the illusions - including the explanations - out of the way and It is just "there".

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Proteus, a67

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi