Gisteron

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153854 by
Replied by on topic Gisteron
In chat you today you mentioned three things, will you please explain to me what these are?

1. The Laws of identity.
2. Non-contradictions.
3. Excluded middle.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153855 by

ren wrote: Most conversations in this forum are popularity contests where the goal is to sound more appropriate, politically correct, mystical, spiritual, wise and whatnot.

It saddens me that you think that, ren.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #153861 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Gisteron

Khaos wrote: Now, for full disclosure, I have recieved question in PM occasionally.

Still, that doesnt really add to the overall content of the site, but its not as if it has never happened.

lol, by me!!

Others as well, I am sure, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #153862 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Gisteron

Rickie The Grey wrote:

Ren wrote: Most conversations in this forum are popularity contests where the goal is to sound more appropriate, politically correct, mystical, spiritual, wise and whatnot. Rare are those who dare explore crazy ideas just or the sake of it.

Most? I don't think so. Most are decent enough people they want to learn and understand, though we are an eclectic group. Some people post for: shock, controversy, contrarian, argument, troll, to hear their own voice, to look smart or think their cleaver, some are all about themselves. I'd like to think this is a place for explorers of all types.

You know what, I was thinking about this...

I tell what I think, and Rickie tells what he thinks, and we compare...

We dont tear each others thoughts down, we talk up, and compare these things becasue people are more willing to share when you show interest, and have a common theme...

Where as GIsteron, Khaos, and others, only question, putting forth no real thoughts of their own....

Yes, they share, but mostly, they tear down... :pinch:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Llama Su

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153864 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Gisteron

scott777ab wrote: In chat you today you mentioned three things, will you please explain to me what these are?

1. The Laws of identity.
2. Non-contradictions.
3. Excluded middle.

Yes, of course. These are the basic logical absolutes or axioms. They go by a number of equivalent names and expressions and are concepts describing fundamental truths that are so transcendant that nothing can be that violates them.

The law of identity states that anything is what it is, or to put it in more formal words, A is identical to A, or any given x is identical to itself. Moreover, it follows, that whenever there are two things, A and B, they are identical by definition if and only if there is no difference between them. In other words A-B=0 <=> A=B. There is a number of other implications, like that A(x)=A(y) => x=y, with A being the truth-value of a statement or a vector with its components being truth-values of statements about the respective variable. Note: A is not a function in general (with injective functions being the exception).

The law of non-contradiction is something like a contraposition of the law of identity. Basically it states that nothing is what it isn't. In other words, !A != A (with !x meaning not-x). Deriving examples is more difficult for this one. The important bit however is, that not everything seeming counter-intuitive is a contradiction. Change throughout space or time or both can occur without violating this law, but in the same context, under the same conditions, with all other things being equal, any particular given is never equal to anything that is not it.

The law of excluded middle is more or less a combination of the former two. It follows, that if everything is what it is, and nothing is what it isn't, then nothing can be both. since A != !A, it cannot be that x = A and x = !A, for that would violate both the law of excluded middle and the law of non-contradiction. I set x as equal to one of the other arguments, but this is also true for x being element of a set which of course renders it not element of the compliment of that set. And of course nothing can be neither, too. Example: "Absolutely everything is either a cucumber or something else." That statement is useless, but it can't help being true ;)

Now, again, one must be cautious with one's definition. Earlier in chat we mentioned how a long cart can be both outside and inside of a bordered area. That is not in violation of the law of excluded middle or non-contradiction, because outside and inside are not absolute terms. In order to be inside something, it is sufficient that any part be inside. However, if every part is inside, then no part is outside, and if any part is outside, than the statement that "all parts are inside" is a false statement, because of the "all" bit.

The example with the cart specifically serves to show that those laws, while they apply universally and transuniversally, only make sense with clearly defined terms and borders. They don't work once you get vague with your language, but then no kind of logic works anymore which is why vagueness is so annoying and a disservice to anyone caring for a productive discussion of any kind.

Here is another illustration, if the way they phrase it helps anyone more:
http://logical-critical-thinking.com/logic/logical-absolutes/

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 8 months ago #153866 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Gisteron

Arcade wrote:

ren wrote: Most conversations in this forum are popularity contests where the goal is to sound more appropriate, politically correct, mystical, spiritual, wise and whatnot.

This is one of those rare, earth-shattering times I'm going to agree with ren.

Mark your calendars.

More
9 years 8 months ago #153867 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Gisteron

steamboat28 wrote:

Arcade wrote:

Mark your calendars.

I too agree with this

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153868 by

steamboat28 wrote:

I haven't observed this in the people that I interact with on the forum, and the majority of members in this community are very sincere about the words they post and mindful of the kinds of things that ren mentioned.

So, I respectfully disagree. I think this may be largely about how the reader interprets what is written. Most of us are here because we want to learn something about ourselves, others, and our connection to the Force.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153870 by

Arcade wrote: Most of us are here because we want to learn something about ourselves, others, and our connection to the Force.

Agreed.

I'm not sure I understand why people with the opposite opinion would continue to come here?

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 8 months ago #153874 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Gisteron

ren wrote: behaving based on what may or may not be is in fact inherently bad.

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I've understood.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi