My Philosophy of Life

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153733 by
Replied by on topic My Philosophy of Life

Khaos wrote: Sorry, just trying to give perspective.

My question would more revolve around what you will do with the inevitable changes to your philosophy?

Will you write a whole new one of these every say....five years?

Is there more to this work as an experiment?

My philosophy is a living document, and it continues to evolve. There have yet to be any revolutionary changes to the document since I wrote the first draft about 4-1/2 years ago.

While I initially intended to elaborate in a longer document, I found that I could say everything important in outline form. Also, the outline format makes the document easy to navigate, memorize and revise. Therefore, I do not intend to produce any other works.

I do my best to live my philosophy, and it has been quite beneficial personally.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153737 by
To Khaos.

I apologize. My post was a heat of the moment post.
I don't know you, not sure if we have ever chatted in chat or not.

But whatever.

All I am going to say to you in this thread any more is this.

May the force(God) be with(in) you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153738 by

Philosofer123 wrote: I do my best to live my philosophy, and it has been quite beneficial personally.

Good, and don't let jerks like me push you around.
To you also I aplogize. I guess I do not know how to make decent posts to things I disagree with without sounding like a total jerk. So I am sorry about that Philo.

This here below is the last thing I am going to say in this thread.

May the force(God) be with(in) you.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154588 by

Alan wrote: Excellent work Philosofer. A well thought out philosophy of life. Echoes of Epicurus, the Skeptics and a wide variety of other perennial philosophers; also, though not mentioned by name, Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics .

If I may suggest an author you might find interesting, Corliss Lamont. Two books in particular: The Illusion of Immortality and, in contrast to your rejection of freewill, Freedom of Choice Affirmed.

Alan, thanks again for the reading suggestions. I have just finished reading The Illusion of Immortality. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will include it in the recommended reading for the afterlife skepticism section of my document.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154660 by
If you're atheist, you have nothing to worry about. So why try to convince others? It doesn't affect you either way.

More
9 years 7 months ago #154674 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic My Philosophy of Life

Streen wrote: If you're atheist, you have nothing to worry about. So why try to convince others? It doesn't affect you either way.

I'm not sure what this conclusion stems from, that he's trying to convince anybody. It is a philosophy that he wished to share, for any usefulness, knowledge, or wisdom that anybody might be able to get from it. Is that not what we are doing here at TOTJO? Sharing what we have been learning through our lives for others to be able to use and learn from?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154680 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic My Philosophy of Life
Wow, seriously? Am I really responding to that? Alright, here we go...

Streen wrote: If you're atheist, you have nothing to worry about.

How dare you! If you hold things and people dear just because of your magic Joo-Joo on the bottom of the sea, that's fine, but how dare you imply that we have no human feelings or desires or worries just because we don't believe as you do (I infer that you do, because you wouldn't spout anything this outrageous if you actually knew our position at all)! How dare you picture us as careless or emotionless monsters just because we don't need a tyrant to command us to love! I demand an apology!

So why try to convince others? It doesn't affect you either way.

But it does. It does every time somebody makes any decision based on any of their beliefs. And since we only ever base our decisions on our beliefs, beliefs really never don't matter. I for once don't live in a bubble. People surround me and I have to deal with them, with what they do to themselves, to each other, to me and to my loved ones. And while not all well-reasoned beliefs always inform the best of decisions, they have by far the better quota at it. It is also not about convincing anyone. It is about finding the truth with whomever it lies. Unlike you, we don't care for others to believe or disbelieve as we do. We care for ourselves and our beliefs to conform with what is true as best as we can make them.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Gisteron.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 7 months ago #154686 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic My Philosophy of Life

Gisteron wrote:

Streen wrote: If you're atheist, you have nothing to worry about.

How dare you! If you hold things and people dear just because of your magic Joo-Joo on the bottom of the sea, that's fine, but how dare you imply that we have no human feelings or desires or worries just because we don't believe as you do (I infer that you do, because you wouldn't spout anything this outrageous if you actually knew our position at all)! How dare you picture us as careless or emotionless monsters just because we don't need a tyrant to command us to love! I demand an apology!

I dont believe that is what he said...;)

And again, I wonder if you read too much into the words?

I thought he meant, "As an atheist, you have no god to worry about judging you, so you have nothing to worry about."

Gisteron wrote:

So why try to convince others? It doesn't affect you either way.

But it does. It does every time somebody makes any decision based on any of their beliefs. And since we only ever base our decisions on our beliefs, beliefs really never don't matter. I for once don't live in a bubble. People surround me and I have to deal with them, with what they do to themselves, to each other, to me and to my loved ones. And while not all well-reasoned beliefs always inform the best of decisions, they have by far the better quota at it. It is also not about convincing anyone. It is about finding the truth with whomever it lies. Unlike you, we don't care for others to believe or disbelieve as we do. We care for ourselves and our beliefs to conform with what is true as best as we can make them.

Trying to convince others of anything is quite an exercise of futility, and patience, :lol:....

“Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have in trying to change others.”

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154709 by

If you're atheist, you have nothing to worry about.

At least not in the sense of a deity, but that is hardly the most pressing immediate problems in ones day to day life at any given time.

Streen, take your post, and replace Atheist with Jedi and tell me how you would feel if someone responded to the path that you cultivate and discuss with such a post.

I mean really, "There is no death, there is only the Force."

So what have you got to worry about? Why train others? Why discuss it? It doesnt really effect you either way.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #155166 by

Philosofer123 wrote: Over the past few years, I have formulated my philosophy of life, a 14-page document that may be found at either of the following links:
!

Can you summerize the essence your 14 pages in 50 words or less? Kind of like a mission statement.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi