What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #153674 by
Hmmm.. Well, I don't do magick, or any energy work, actually.

I've been working on it for a number of years, but nothing ever happens. lol. I'm ok with being a non-Force sensitive Jedi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago #153676 by RyuJin
I've written my own book of shadows filled with information about herbs, incense, crystals, rituals, blessings, wood properties(for wands/staves), reiki, runes....it's currently 36 pages...

Left out is anything pertaining to deities as I don't see anyone or anything as superior or inferior to me...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153735 by

Connor L. wrote: I've been working on it for a number of years, but nothing ever happens. lol. I'm ok with being a non-Force sensitive Jedi.

Well, certain forms of magic(k) don't require a noticeable connection to the Force or even belief to be effective. For some people, magic is primarily an exercise in learning to control (or map) the mind, working with psychological archetypes, or creating a link to the subconscious that allows more direct communication with parts of the brain that may be tougher to access via typical means. Magic can also be a creative outlet or a simple way to identify goals and clear pathways toward them.

When I first started practicing magic, I had very little connection or sensitivity to the Force. It wasn't until many years later that I found myself engaging with specific forms of magic that were compatible with the way I feel/think and this sensitivity became apparent. So maybe you haven't yet found magical techniques or philosophies that mesh well with who you are and how you see the universe?

RyuJin wrote: Left out is anything pertaining to deities as I don't see anyone or anything as superior or inferior to me...

Continuing with the idea that I suggested above, you could choose to see deities as projections of the Self - or as direct lines to parts of your mind that are generally inaccessible. I have worked with deities and created servitors in the past that were obviously representative of aspects of myself (psychological projections), and this process of interaction and intention in action can be used to your advantage if you don't see it as profane or intrinsically damaging.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

More
9 years 8 months ago #153766 by Kit
I do tarot with a deck I'm really connected with although I haven't for some time. I've also done general energy/image readings on people when requested but I haven't done that for even longer lol. Mostly because it's an odd subject to bring up.... Seems like I only have myself to work with lately and my deck likes to tell me that I already know the answer XD It's much more forthcoming when reading for others.

I'm still doing more reading into Shamanism (thanks again Arcade!!) but I've adopted the general principles and done journeys for myself and once for another (I think what I’ve been reading is mostly neo-shamanism??? I’m not sure the exact name). Most of the time with absolutely fascinating results and sometimes very frustrating (I don't like hearing that my problems are my fault ;) ) But the more I work with this, the more attached to the world and even more attached to animals and their spirits than I was before.

I've seen/sensed/smelled/spoken with ghosts/spirits since I was very young. Most of them were family or family friends and even personal protectors who weren’t human. Once I figure out what was going on I knew there was nothing to be afraid of.

I've worked with energy. Reclaiming my own, ridding myself of others', moving stagnant energy, claiming/clearing space. The last bit I've been doing quite a bit with the new house. And when I started moving things around, something doesn’t like it so I've been fighting it. I've never had direct confrontation before. The only thing I know about this is it’s a being that feeds on fear, seems to do everything it can to incite fear (including influencing dreams). And being someone who’s fearful to begin with, I’ve had to call in help XD which has also been very interesting.

I haven’t done a lot of research into them but I love the energy of stones. While I was deployed last, a friend sent me a medicine bag with some semi-precious stones (and a print-out of their meaning) and I’ve been carrying it around ever since. I’ve added a few meaningful things to it too. I also picked up a few small stones when I was at my last base just before I left from a new age shop. An uncut quartz crystal piece that I felt nearly vibrated in my hand, and a small, round yellowish stone that when looked at with the right angle of light, holds tiny brilliant flashes of light and a miniature rainbow (caught my eye out of a whole basket of stones). The store owner told me what it was but I can’t for the life of me remember what it is. But she told me it’s used to help contact spirits (how perfect!)

I also want to get into more incense work. I love the way smells can make me feel and I want to ultimately make some of my own stuff. Once finances settle down I want to order a white sage plant and some lavender. I had some seeds growing before I left but they didn’t survive the trip :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

More
9 years 8 months ago #153767 by steamboat28

Kamizu wrote: (I think what I’ve been reading is mostly neo-shamanism??? I’m not sure the exact name).

There are some that speak of this as "plastic shamanism" in a derogatory sense. I don't have a dog in that fight, as I see shamanic animism being roughly the same across all cultures, even if it isn't across all times, but I do understand why workers of the older ways could be upset by it, and I do feel a stronger connection/power comes from the more ancient paths.

Kamizu wrote: I've never had direct confrontation before.

Ping me on Facebook or something.

Kamizu wrote: I haven’t done a lot of research into them but I love the energy of stones.

Kamizu wrote: I also want to get into more incense work.

They are fantastic. Remind me and I'll send you a something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kit

More
9 years 8 months ago #153775 by Kit

steamboat28 wrote:

Kamizu wrote: (I think what I’ve been reading is mostly neo-shamanism??? I’m not sure the exact name).

There are some that speak of this as "plastic shamanism" in a derogatory sense. I don't have a dog in that fight, as I see shamanic animism being roughly the same across all cultures, even if it isn't across all times, but I do understand why workers of the older ways could be upset by it, and I do feel a stronger connection/power comes from the more ancient paths.

I definitely want to do more studying on some older and various paths (any books you can recommend?). I was reading some things Arcade sent my way and I think maybe 'core' shamanism is more what I'm doing right now? (Maybe 'neo' is the slang? haha :huh: ) No idea :laugh: I'm just kind of floating my way down this river here. Figured I'd check out the branches as I come to them :D

steamboat28 wrote:

Kamizu wrote: I've never had direct confrontation before.

Ping me on Facebook or something.

Kamizu wrote: I haven’t done a lot of research into them but I love the energy of stones.

Kamizu wrote: I also want to get into more incense work.

They are fantastic. Remind me and I'll send you a something.

:D will do!

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago #153780 by RyuJin
I already use the "aspects of subconscious self" approach in regards to deities...in regards to spirits...I have a rather lengthy post about my experiences buried somewhere in the forums...recently. (about 6years ago) I discovered I have a degree of control over things in that vein...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #153784 by

RyuJin wrote: I already use the "aspects of subconscious self" approach in regards to deities...in regards to spirits...

I hope it didn't seem like I was suggesting that you weren't aware of this process (or that you didn't utilize it) in my last post. I was speaking generally. :)

I would love to hear more about this if/when you feel up to it. You are welcome to PM me anytime.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #153837 by steamboat28

Kamizu wrote: I definitely want to do more studying on some older and various paths (any books you can recommend?). I was reading some things Arcade sent my way and I think maybe 'core' shamanism is more what I'm doing right now? (Maybe 'neo' is the slang? haha :huh: ) No idea :laugh: I'm just kind of floating my way down this river here. Figured I'd check out the branches as I come to them :D

"Core" shamanism is specifically what I was referring to earlier, as a lot of people got suuuuuuper offended that these completely disparate cultures with disparate (though vaguely similar) concepts and ideologies all got their animism lumped in together with actual shamans (i.e., the Mongolian style, where the word originated), with their term being slapped across every kind of animism but Shinto. I don't disagree with Michael Harner's distillation of animistic technique and ritual in The Way of the Shaman, but any time you lump wildly different groups of people together, I get twitchy.

Also note that " plastic shamanism " is a term that denotes exploitation, either by the "shamans" themselves, or the teachers/authors/etc. they learn from. It's not an across-the-board slur, by any means, but it has broadened slightly to include ignorant "shamans"-- something core shamanism is good at creating if its adherents don't do a little extra homework.

Also also...
Code:
The person responsible for drafting this message was sacked.

...it's worth noting that "shaman" is a title that isn't taken lightly, or bestowed upon oneself. There are a scad of things that make a shaman, and those of us who haven't experienced them should remember that what we do is simply "shamanic"; a step on the same path as they walk.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by steamboat28.

More
9 years 7 months ago #153838 by steamboat28

RyuJin wrote: I already use the "aspects of subconscious self" approach in regards to deities...in regards to spirits...I have a rather lengthy post about my experiences buried somewhere in the forums...recently. (about 6years ago) I discovered I have a degree of control over things in that vein...

I'm always interested in other peoples' conception of deity, since my particular path has brought me a really, really weird mismatch of concepts into my worldview.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi