Doctor Who's Sonic Sunglasses - really?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204257 by
What? Why?
This could be considered a rant. I just need a place to vent this suprise I have around Doctor Who's new sonic sunglasses.

Please let me know what you think about this.

I don't get it.
Since when has the Doctor cared about being cool? The reasons I loved the doc is because he was caring, authentic and centered in self. He was different and a role model. He has his quirks but those quirks make him "realistic" and approachable. I got him as a character. And now I feel they are taking that away to try to broaden the Doctor's audience or just to "have fun" with the show.

All it takes to be successful with Dr Who is good writing that is authentic and intriguing. Even the special effects don't have to be good. When the FX are "too good" I usually find that distracting from the meaningful plot.

The Doctor is the longest running TV series in the history of TV. It does not need to be cool in any way. It already is.

Based on the setting of the Doctor, sunglasses are impractical. How many time periods, cultures and beings wear sunglasses? I can't think of one episode where other characters had them. Is there a TV show that ever had a star wear sunglasses? Sunglasses block the actor's eyes and the eyes are an important part of acting. I admit Arnald pulled it off well in the Terminator movies but that made sense to the story line. And sunglasses break and get lost all the time.

How is he going to use them? Does he have to put them on to use them? Is he going to stare at locks now?

I agree they made the screwdriver way to powerful in the reboot and I get that they should pull back on its abilities but sunglasses?

He also brought a guitar to a medieval gladiator pit? I get the joke but I feel that this is competing with Zoolander style humor. I wonder if Seth Rogan is writing the series now?

Finally, they keep killing people and bringing them back. What is this Buffy? Once a dead character returns to life, I feel the series looses credibility for me. They can't even stick with their decisions any more and it cheapens death.

So there. I feel better. Now I will take a break from watching on of my long time shows.

http://zap2it.com/2015/09/doctor-who-sonic-screwdriver-season-9-the-witchs-familiar/

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-26/14-questions-we-have-after-doctor-who-the-witchs-familiar

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/features/opinion/doctor-who-analysis-the-magicians-apprentice-the-witchs-familiar

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204727 by
I totaly agree with you the sunglasses really! First i thot it is a joke like 11th had it "fezes are cool". And i also agree that a sonic is way to powerful i know when i started whaching with 9th it just opend the dors or Doctor yousded like a somethin to translate. You can see crealy in second episode. And that is too powerful it is a screwdriver and what they do? Even in 50th anneversery they made a joke like the sonic is week and it is not a wapon.

P.S.: sory abowt my englesh is my second language :blush:

More
8 years 5 months ago #204735 by Alethea Thompson
I've not seen this yet. But as to the question "When did the Doctor start caring about being cool?"

...When he got a fez?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #204766 by RyuJin
it turns out that one of the show's producers did that as a way to troll fans.....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

More
8 years 5 months ago #204794 by TheDude
Keep in mind that the Doctor's personality is prone to change with each regeneration. The first Doctor was NOTHING like any of the reboot Doctors! At least, as far as I can tell.
He's also sported a cowboy hat and a fez before. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #204795 by
I knew that quitting Doctor Who at the end of Matt Smith's era was a good choice. The show just stopped being enjoyable, long before Smith's era ended, but I seriously suffered watching through those last few episodes with Smith and the specials were disastrous (imo).

It comes as no surprise that things have gone down hill since then.

More
8 years 5 months ago #204801 by TheDude

Jamie Stick wrote: I knew that quitting Doctor Who at the end of Matt Smith's era was a good choice. The show just stopped being enjoyable, long before Smith's era ended, but I seriously suffered watching through those last few episodes with Smith and the specials were disastrous (imo).

It comes as no surprise that things have gone down hill since then.

I've actually really enjoyed Capaldi's acting so far. I'm by no means a Whovian (I just couldn't stand Smith's Doctor, though I know a lot of people like him the most; Eccleston was my favorite of "New Who", though I couldn't personally stand more than a few of his episodes based on the writing), but the bits and pieces I've seen from the current stuff has been really well performed.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #204810 by RyuJin
i liked eccleston's dr.. but felt it was too short of a run...he left due to the writing...i really enjoyed tenant's dr....i think he was the best of the new who's....and i'm old enough to remember the dr. of the early 80's...with K-9....and i was able to watch the repeats of the older episodes back then too...i haven't seen capaldi's dr, but have read that his "grumpy" dr is not too popular and now the show is facing cancellation....he may end up being known as the one that killed dr.who...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi