I need help with a speech

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174599 by
I need help with a speech was created by
Just earlier today, I received a letter from my old college (I just graduated a few weeks back) notifying me that I an the Dux of 2014. For those of you in the US and similar areas, Dux is like a valedictorian, only it is always awarded to the student with the highest ATAR (academic ranking). In previous years, the addresses given by the Dux have always been similar (introduction, thanks, personal anecdote, advice for future students, etc), but I want to do something different, centering around mental illness, as its something I have struggled with personally.

Does anyone have any insightful quotes on depression or mental illness in general? Google hasn't got a lot to offer it seems...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #174600 by Alexandre Orion
When do you need it by, Fenton ?

I'm working on some similar stuff for a presentation in Lille at the end of April. When it gets a little more developed could share with you what we've done.

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #174601 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic I need help with a speech
Congratz!! I was Dux of primary school :lol: true story, no speech required there :blush:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174604 by
Replied by on topic I need help with a speech
In a speech like this I would recommend not to use a new quote you just learned for the sake of having the quote. If you want to get across a message that is important to you, find something of value to you and work that into your speech. By using something of value to you, it is far more likely to project that value to the audience. Your mind and voice will project your idea with more conviction than another’s.

This may not make it easier to flesh out your speech, but I believe it can be better speech for it. Now if you do find a quote that truly resonates with you, by all means use it.

MTFBWY

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174609 by
It doesn't need to be done until early February, but I know it's going to take me a log time to get right.

The only problem is that most of the sayings which resonate with me aren't really appropriate for the setting (Catholic school and all). I want to tell the truth, but gently, if that makes sense.... Especially considering my mental health problems have been a thing kept strictly secret; only a couple of teachers and the principal knew.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 3 months ago #174612 by
There are a couple ways around using a quote that might not be fully appropriate for the setting. One way you can use is “If I may summarize a quote by John Doe, ’Edited Spoken Words’” This would allow you to edit a longer quote to make it appropriate, but maybe keep the desired content of value, while still crediting the originator of the quote. Summarizing or paraphrasing a direct quote is allowed as long as you give credit and accurately represent the original idea/information.

With some care, I would think that at least some of the quotes that have meaning to you could be made to fit this setting. You might also discuss this with one of the faculty you trust that knows of the situation. They may be able to help guide you in acceptable paraphrasing of quotes for your speech. The last thing you would want to happen would be to get caught improperly quoting in an academic speech as the top dog, telling a Catholic headmaster that a Jedi told you to do it. :lol:

More
9 years 3 months ago #175152 by OB1Shinobi
Congratulations dux! I was a very poor student myself. mostly i was lazy and afraid of looking stupid. I respect your hard work and your courage.
I hope these help

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another.
Napoleon Hill

I cant change the direction of the wind
but i can adjust my sails to reach my destination
Jimmy Dean

Nothing is ImPossible
The word itself says I'm Possible
Audrey Hepburn

The measure of who we are
is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Out of difficulties grow miracles
Jean de la Bruyere

Dont limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, YOU CAN ACHIEVE.
Mary Kay Ash

And my personal favorite:
You are extremely beautiful, and you are absolutely perfect just as you are right now. You, and only you, have the right or the power to decide who you are, or what you can achieve"
Some guy on the internetz

People are complicated.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #175153 by OB1Shinobi
. Double post my apologies they told me this was a smart phone but from what i can tell its just as dumb as i am ;-)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi. Reason: dble post

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #175158 by OB1Shinobi
I gotta get a laptop im beginning to feel like a monkey with a rubix cube. Its not on purpoze i promise. as everyone can see im only looking out for myself by supporting peopld with mental disabilities

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi. Reason: does idiocy count?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi