Rants far and wide

More
9 years 1 month ago #184664 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Rants far and wide
I have become just another one, haven't I? :unsure:

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185159 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Rants far and wide
the ability of individuals to completely ignore evidence--factual, statistically true evidence--for the sake of supporting their belief narrative will never not astound me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
9 years 1 month ago #185224 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Rants far and wide
I think being humble is highly underrated.

Taking a long hard look at ourselves everyday and seeing ourselves objectively should be mandatory.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, rugadd, Brenna, Breeze el Tierno, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185276 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide
Humility is merely perspective. Those without it lack a fundamental skill of living.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185278 by steamboat28
I think humility is highly overrated.

I've spent most of my life hating myself for perceived flaws. Adding society's expectation of humility to that--to artificially lessen my own accomplishments and abilities so that i would never be boastful or brag--made it worse, because I had nothing in the "Pro" column to balance out what I perceived as all my "Cons."

I don't do humble, anymore. I'm healthier this way. Taking a long, hard, objective look at yourself every day should be mandatory.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 1 month ago #185280 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Rants far and wide
Steamboat, you have an air of humility...

My guess would be that you were outta wack with it... Thinking any "self thought" was vanity...

I did it too...

You're good...;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
9 years 1 month ago #185281 by steamboat28

Jestor wrote: Steamboat, you have an air of humility...

...have you met me? lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185282 by
Replied by on topic Rants far and wide

Taking a long, hard, objective look at yourself every day should be mandatory.

Is it incorrect to say this IS what humility "should" be?

I mean, we say that lowering oneself is humble... but, I don't think it is... I feel like objectively... you ARE lower than some people in certain areas. Hell, I know I'm not NEARLY in the same universe as your intelligence. But, I know I can probably sing 40 operas around you and do some other things you're not good at (I'm only assuming you're not an opera singer or musical genius).

In my mind, being aware that there is somebody worse than me and somebody better than me IS humble.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185283 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Rants far and wide

steamboat28 wrote: I think humility is highly overrated.

I've spent most of my life hating myself for perceived flaws. Adding society's expectation of humility to that--to artificially lessen my own accomplishments and abilities so that i would never be boastful or brag--made it worse, because I had nothing in the "Pro" column to balance out what I perceived as all my "Cons."

I don't do humble, anymore. I'm healthier this way. Taking a long, hard, objective look at yourself every day should be mandatory.

ive read that the humility of the merchant is to lick the boots and scrape the floor for the next up the ladder and expect the one below to lick boots and scrape floors for oneself

but the humility of a warrior is that they hold their heads up with everyone
and encourage everyone to hold their heads up with them as well

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185286 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic Rants far and wide
I guess my rant is that I can't stand that so many people in the world confuse being humble with being a pushover.
Being humble is not, despite what certain definitions in the dictionary may say, being lowly, self-hating, or anything of the sort. It is a way of life where you present yourself with modesty despite any successes or failures. To treat all people with respect, to respect the autonomy of others; to not seek out conflict and to leave it whenever you can. To be humble is to not only present yourself this way, but to be satisfied and unmoved (or at least not moved greatly) by personal pride, passion, greed, opinion or otherwise. It is a wonderful form of selflessness, not a form of self-doubt or self-hatred.

One of my professors is an old man. He's got hundreds, if not thousands of books which he has read through and understands completely. He is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. But he'll still sit down and talk casually with anyone who wants to talk, will laugh with you and not at you, and seems to hold no pretense of superiority despite his knowledge and position. Another one of my professors is arrogant, holds a similar level of knowledge, but talks down to anyone who doesn't make more money than him in a year and flaunts his successes. The first man is humble. The second one is not. I respect the first man much more than I respect the second, and I suspect most people who have known both of these men hold similar opinions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi