Fantasy Exhibition at Science Fiction Museum

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #152916 by
There is currently an exhibition at the Science Fiction Museum (EMP) in Seattle called Fantasy: Worlds of Myth and Magic . The exhibition was designed around 20 archetypes that were chosen to represent common roles in fantasy. The pieces on display include items like original costumes from popular fantasy movies and television series, manuscripts of books by fantasy authors, a variety of art and miniatures, and there is even an entertaining interactive quiz that helps you identify which of the 20 archetypes best suits you.

While browsing the web, I found a Gallery Guide for Educators (click link to download PDF) that is meant to supply teachers with information about themes and ideas that weave in and out of the exhibition and offer them starting points for conversations with their students. If you scroll down to page 4 of the document, there are brief descriptions of the archetypes, and I noticed that on page 5 there is a short commentary on Joseph Campbell and The Hero's Journey.

There are other interesting bits explored in the guide as well (gender roles, the monomyth, world building, good vs. evil, etc.), so I thought some of you might enjoy skimming through it. :)
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #152918 by
Good find!
I had a skim, but wasn't too interested. However, there was some social commentary mixed in there that I found more relevant.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi