Jedi Lightsaber

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151688 by
Jedi Lightsaber was created by
Just a question for my fellow Jedi....has anyone ever wanted a custom built lightsaber? Whether for a collectable, or to wear when you dress up for Halloween, or to go see the New film, or just for cosplay?

I am in the process of ordering one myself, custom made just for me, with my input and ideas and was just wondering if anyone else ever wanted this? I can recommend an excellent sabersmith....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #151691 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Jedi Lightsaber
In my experience, so long as you have a steady hand, just do it yourself. It gets about as custom as your skills and tools allow for, it gets exactly how you want it without artistic input from anyone else and it costs you the least for a worthwhile product. Now, that being said, I much appreciate the work of people such as VV, LDM, JQ and madcow. Its more about the difference between a 3000$ product you can be happy you bought or a product worth perhaps 1000 at the cost of 400 but where you can say you put your blood and sweat into making it a reality

Before I went on building mine I was actually not even considering it and really thought to order instead. I don't regret the decision I ended up making for a second however. She sure isn't the work of a master of the arts, but she is unique and most importantly: She will always remain mine in more than one sense of that word, no matter how far she might travel should I ever face the misfortune of having to give her up to the market.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151692 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Lightsaber
Cool. I would love that.

More
9 years 9 months ago #151705 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi Lightsaber
Excess attachment alert!!!! haha just kidding.

I'm slowly (like 30 years) accumulating parts of 'value'. I've only got an outer covering and one other piece LOL, I can see this thing not getting finished but I'll defer that fear to belief in some sort of law of accelerating returns!

But for me, I only see them as tools to refine one's spirit, and for that I divide it into an object to exercise mind (focal point for meditation) and space (wielding).... a sort of meditative neo-calisthenics perhaps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychomotor_learning

So in the meantime I bought a plastic double bladed one.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, rugadd

More
9 years 9 months ago #151717 by Nicole Judge
Replied by Nicole Judge on topic Jedi Lightsaber
Oh, I'd love one. :3

I've always wanted to create one, too, but unfortunately I haven't got the necessary manual skills.

~ may the Force guide us ~
the root source of suffering is an ignorance of ourselves

Teaching Masters: V-Tog, tzb, Darren
Apprentices: yet to come...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #151724 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Lightsaber
I've never really loved the idea because I don't do cosplay or have replicas of anything else...

...but the other day it occurred to me I've never seen one with a wooden handle and brass metalwork, and I just started to fantasise a little bit.

Something like this, but with brass instead of whatever that is (plastic?):

More
9 years 9 months ago #151727 by Gisteron
FYI, Nicole, I started with 0 skill. It was my first and so far my last crafting project with no prior or posterior exercise. Can't say it went perfect (Murphy's Law etc), but I far from ruined it.

tzb, those are Gungi replicas from ForceRelics. The grey bits are printed plastic, and I think the actual pommel and emitter piece are matte aluminium, iirc. Anyway, they had two runs of those as to my knowledge, both just with empty hilts for DIY builders and sabersmiths, so if you're lucky you can find someone selling theirs, but expect a higher cost for it.
I also remember FR to sell custom wooden sleeve pieces for TCSS MHS parts, but those may have been runs, too, so idk if you can get any. TCSS does sell at least one type of wooden sleeve tube now, too, though it won't get you those wavy shapes - only a lathe would.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 9 months ago #151751 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Jedi Lightsaber
If anything its worth building your first saber yourself, if only just to gain a greater appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into it....I've built quite a few of them myself...and plan on building one for my nephew...I have bought one too, from ultrasabers...

Btw that wood handle is beautiful....I have access to a lathe too....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago #152951 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Jedi Lightsaber
Ok so I got bored and couldn't sleep so I finished my nephews saber....and it is functional...

Attachment h65a8627.jpg not found

Attachment h3c75ce2.jpg not found

Attachment h31b004e.jpg not found

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Adder, rugadd, PatrickB, Nicole Judge

More
9 years 8 months ago #152954 by Gisteron
Just curious, Riu, what lense did you use for that one? It looks like a rather wide angle although that may be because digital cameras tend to dim overly bright areas.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi