Saber Smithing - What's Colour would you have and why?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 2 months ago #133893 by RyuJin
Ah, the first 8 sabers I built were made from old flashguns (those old cameras from the 40's and 50's) which is what the lightsabers in a new hope and empire strikes back were made from (in rotj lukes was machined)...my current saber is from ultrasabers and uses the last of luxeon 3 leds....it's adegan silver and super bright (seriously) even with the blade on it I can light up the entire apartmentat night (comes in handy during power outages)...I have a large array of color disks to change to any color I want...I actually have a pic somewhere in the forums with all the colors I can get (there was like 21 colors)...and despite using the disks the luxeon is bright enough that every color is vibrant....

Now why silver?because it appealed to me...its one of my 3 favorite colors (black and red being the other 2)...in terms of aura /chakra colors silver represents spiritual enlightenment...so in this case the blade.serves as a reminder of the goal...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Kit

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #133904 by Kit

steamboat28 wrote: I want an UltraSaber set. So bad. When I can convince myself to spend the money for two of them, a vented coupler, and at least three of the yari extensions, I'll be set for a bit. Right? lol

GEEZE! How tall ARE YOU! Or are you overcompensating? :P At that size you'll have to strap 'em to your back instead of at your waist! HAhaha What colors??!

I got:
This one in blue
This one in orange (with a green color disk to mitigate some of the red tone to faze it into more yellow)
Husband got This one in purple

Oh! He left his batteries in! Here's the purple. Still very bright even in the daylight. (although where it tappers off to that blue, you'll see more of a pink tinge that the phone camera didn't pick up)

steamboat28 wrote: In interviews in the past, it's been hinted that blue sabers are the Jedi default, with green being reserved for "rebellious" or "renegade" Jedi. This is why we see both Obi-Wan and (old!)Anakin's saber (Luke's first saber) as being blue, but Luke's hand-built saber and Qui-Gon's are green.

I LIKE this idea! Haha I've always respected Qui-Gon and his strength to do what he felt was right, despite what authority told him. He was obviously doing something right because they still sent him on missions and let him take on Padawans haha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
10 years 2 months ago #133909 by RyuJin
Lol kami...on those "which jedi are you" tests I frequently score as qui gonn...and like him i have a degree of authority issues...and if you read enough of my posts you'll find I frequently say some form of "I shall do as I must" (qui gonn's favorite phrase)...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
10 years 2 months ago #133922 by steamboat28

Kamizu wrote: GEEZE! How tall ARE YOU! Or are you overcompensating? :P At that size you'll have to strap 'em to your back instead of at your waist! HAhaha What colors??!

The Manticore is gorgeous, but I really, really want this one , color undecided (but leaning heavily toward the silver + color disks), and this one , because then I don't have to pick one. :P

And I'm not super tall or compensating, I just like to have options, is all! I'm a fan of single- and double-handed swordplay, dual-wielding, and staff/spear work in standard martial arts. I'm not passing up a chance to get all that with whoosh noises, too. :P

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
10 years 2 months ago #133925 by RyuJin
Mine's the arbiter (stunt version w/sound, a combo no longer offered) the difference being the stunt sabers have thicker walls for durability...eventually I plan to get a second saber w/coupler to attach to my arbiter(the name of which actually means "judge")

Quotes:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135066 by
I reaaaaaally want to build my own CSS saber, but I can't currently justify the several hundred dollars it would take. I am not creative enough, nor do I have the tools to make a cool one out of found materials. I compromised and got a "grab bag" saber from UltraSabers. I couldn't choose which one I got, but for $80 I got a simple one that lights up (in green, which I would have chosen anyway, but I let it be random just for fun). My inner nerd is satisfied for now, but I really want to make a neat saber sometime in the future.

I am studying aikido, and I think that once I get enough kenjutsu (sword technique) under my belt, I will make my own saber to commemorate. or perhaps I will make one to commemorate when I get knighted? Oh, the possibilities!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135068 by
i made my own saber
it certainly wouldn't win any contests
it has a curved blade more like a traditional saber
the hand guard is far too large to be like the traditional

well i made it from two sea pods, lol . . tied with twine. . . am thinking about re-twining it with a violet crystal

More
10 years 2 months ago #135094 by steamboat28

Roddan_Andreus wrote: I am studying aikido, and I think that once I get enough kenjutsu (sword technique) under my belt, I will make my own saber to commemorate. or perhaps I will make one to commemorate when I get knighted? Oh, the possibilities!

I'ma just leave this right here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #135109 by
Oh, I am familiar with the TPLA, I just don't have the capability of practicing saber stuff in front of a webcam like they would require. Not enough room in front of my laptop. Outside of the dojo, I don't know where I could practice that kind of thing at all, really. And I'm not sure if my sensei would appreciate me using the open mat time for saber practice, haha.

I do think that it is wicked cool that these guys have actually come up with the seven forms, though. I really want to do this program.

Thanks for the link, steam!

More
10 years 2 months ago #135135 by steamboat28

Roddan_Andreus wrote: Oh, I am familiar with the TPLA, I just don't have the capability of practicing saber stuff in front of a webcam like they would require. Not enough room in front of my laptop. Outside of the dojo, I don't know where I could practice that kind of thing at all, really. And I'm not sure if my sensei would appreciate me using the open mat time for saber practice, haha.

I do think that it is wicked cool that these guys have actually come up with the seven forms, though. I really want to do this program.

Thanks for the link, steam!

When we do boffer combat, we go to an empty field, but we live in a rural area. That said, when we (my friends and I) travel, we go to public parks and things of that nature. If you belong to a gym or a YMCA branch or something similar, you can usually find floorspace if you ask folks.

However, one thing I'd like to suggest is that you just do the forms as unarmed drills. if you lack the space for a full blade length. Might squeeze in some practice that way in smaller spaces.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi