Saber Smithing - What's Colour would you have and why?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133802 by

Deprecated: htmlspecialchars(): Passing null to parameter #1 ($string) of type string is deprecated in /var/www/html/libraries/kunena/External/Nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 1435
Hey guys i am starting Saber smiting this year as my workshop is almost ready to go after months of research and countless hours watching you tube videos. I know this is a bit nerdy but what colour of Saber would you have and why?

I would have purple - as it is the colour of my name sack Mace Windu, This colour is mostly chosen by Grey jedi as they have the ability to use both light and darks Force powers (Nerding out). I will keep this colour until i achieve certain task and goals in my then i may choose to Blue or Green. This all depends on how i handle learning the Saber forms.

Anyone who wants to try making there own saber i would love to offer any knowledge i can -

Nerd moment ended.

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #133810 by Adder
Did those Mood Rings ever work? I think it would be great if the blade could change colour based on some measurement of the wielder, but perhaps a hyrbid with that Jedi Mind Trick toy where different brain states represent different blade colours would be the most interesting outcome.

I've got a plastic dual bladed (2 mated singles) red glowing thing, and I opened it up to cut the wires to the speakers as the sound annoyed me :side:

I hope to make my own one day, as I've got a hilt covering already but its not a priority right now. Perhaps when the red ones break.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133829 by
I have a green lightsaber but it is only because that is the L.E.D. i have. I will be purchasing a orange "crystal" when I build my next saber.

I built this one last year.

Attachment h2300865.jpg not found

Attachment hba4c500.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133842 by Gisteron
Obviously I don't know just how much experience with work of that sort you have. However, from what I can tell, starting building sabers with purple is really not the best of choices. There are no purple LED's, and colour filters just don't match the brightness and grace of proper multiple dies colour mixing - which basically is what you are going for. And that has its demands. You will struggle with the space inside your hilt and probably also with the driver solution and power supply unless you are willing to spend like 200 bucks just on an up-to-date middle range plecter labs board and/or colour extension module - which, again, will take lots of space in your hilt and thus limiting your saber's runtime since you only have so much space for energy cells left after that (and remember that the more powerful LED plate of course is also more demanding to that limited-size energy supply). Then of course there is the trouble of mixing the colour right with resistors, so you'll be spending on the equipment and lots of time on the tweaking the good old fashioned trial and error way.

Long story short, I think you should start with base colours or such that are provided by diode manufacturers. Once you get your skills good enough at the process itself you'll still have all the time to challenge yourself with the fancy stuff.
For my first built I chose a Philips Lumileds Rebel Star Green and I'm very satisfied with its magnificent emerald green wavelength spectre. I know its nowhere near as bright as an equivalent tri or quad, but getting it to work at all without burning the driver board or diode and getting used to the machining process without ruining the raw piece beyond redemption I considered a good enough first challenge and I'm glad to report I succeeded despite no previous experience in neither soldering nor rotary tool handling and no work station to speak of. I know I might try lathing or milling for my next build (that is, if this first one ever gets completed, many thanks to my dependency on but partially reliable third parties), but I know I won't be going for purple for the time being. Besides, electronics are subject to replacement. The only piece that truly remains exclusively your artwork is the part of the hilt that you cut in shape yourself.

That being said, it is all still up to you and on that note I might add: Good luck! And never underestimate Murphy's Law. ;)

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Gisteron.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133846 by

Gisteron wrote: And never underestimate Murphy's Law. ;)

Haha. Murphy's Law was great justification for procastination XD

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133877 by steamboat28

Gisteron wrote: <rambles>

Well, that's true, but there exists the possibility to scavenge bits from other sabers on the market. Like these.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #133883 by

Well, that's true, but there exists the possibility to scavenge bits from other sabers on the market.

If you look at the sabers I build my previous post, you will notice that the main body is made from a sink tube, a short section of fire department ladder rung, and a plumbing drain nut. "Parts is parts" as they say. I build my saber with the concept that it should reflect my life in a way. I was a heating guy, I do my own repairs in my house, and I am a fireman. Hense all the plumbing and fire related parts externally and internally in my saber.

You will also notice that some of the parts were purchased from the Custom Saber Shop .
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

More
10 years 3 months ago #133884 by Kit

steamboat28 wrote:

Gisteron wrote: <rambles>

Well, that's true, but there exists the possibility to scavenge bits from other sabers on the market. Like these.

Bahaha Husband and I each have a set of the Ultra Sabers. (I've got a pair, he has two that he can connect for a saber-staff) Husband DOES have their purple and it is a VERY clear, very vibrant purple that does tapper off to a purple-pink at the end (but most guys probably wouldn't notice anyways). I know you can buy pieces, so you could get just the lights. We got them for dueling XD They're fun!

Visro: that's an interesting video however, if you do a search online, you'll find that there is no official color meaning behind the crystal colors in the fictional Star Wars universe (except for maybe WAY WAY in the past). It's not even 100% on the fact that the color matches the Jedi's personality (outside the fact that they pick the color themselves sometimes). There are stories that the crystal calls the Jedi. But the meanings of the colors are as personal and individual as the Jedi's connection to the Force. There's THEORY all over the place about what color means what, but nothing official. And I heard somewhere that it is the RED crystal that has a tendency to break due to the fact it's synthetic. So it has a habit of failing on the wielder (instead of overpowering his opponent's)

That being said, I was writing a story at one point and the main character's lightsabers were yellow and blue. One was his he built, the other belonged to his Master. Present and past. When he gave them up to let go of the past, he went looking for crystals and found a pair of clear ones that generated a white blade. It was in symbolism that he had reached the beginning of his destiny as the Jedi Bard.

But I wouldn't worry so much as to the meaning behind the color other than what it means to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #133885 by
If I were to build my own saber the color would be green because in the fiction that is the color of Jedi Consulars and I tend to think of myself as more of a Jedi Consular. Building one's own saber sounds fun but difficult, at least for me. I would love to know more of how to go about it though.

More
10 years 3 months ago #133889 by steamboat28

Kamizu wrote: Bahaha Husband and I each have a set of the Ultra Sabers. (I've got a pair, he has two that he can connect for a saber-staff) Husband DOES have their purple and it is a VERY clear, very vibrant purple that does tapper off to a purple-pink at the end (but most guys probably wouldn't notice anyways). I know you can buy pieces, so you could get just the lights. We got them for dueling XD They're fun!

I want an UltraSaber set. So bad. When I can convince myself to spend the money for two of them, a vented coupler, and at least three of the yari extensions, I'll be set for a bit. Right? lol

if you do a search online, you'll find that there is no official color meaning behind the crystal colors in the fictional Star Wars universe ...It's not even 100% on the fact that the color matches the Jedi's personality...But I wouldn't worry so much as to the meaning behind the color other than what it means to you.

This. While The Jedi Path agrees with this video on lightsaber colors (in general) for the subclasses of Knight, that's far from a hard-and-fast rule. In interviews in the past, it's been hinted that blue sabers are the Jedi default, with green being reserved for "rebellious" or "renegade" Jedi. This is why we see both Obi-Wan and (old!)Anakin's saber (Luke's first saber) as being blue, but Luke's hand-built saber and Qui-Gon's are green.

In RotJ, Luke is the last living Jedi (obviously discounting Vader), and as such pretty well decides to make his own rules. This change is also evidenced in the shift of clothing from the whites of ANH to the black outfit in which he meets Jabba. At this point, he's fled Dagobah (and his training), rebelled against Yoda to help his friends, lost a hand, found out a disturbing truth, and is attempting to continue down this path to protect the people he cares about, in strict defiance to what we know the traditional Jedi tend to believe about attachment.

Similarly, Qui-Gon is a Jedi we're told is always at odds with the Council. He's commonly called a "gray Jedi" in this regard (which I find an inaccurate use of the term), and we actively see him thumbing his nose at the Council in regards to this podracing slaveboy on Tattooine. Nothing he does is protocol, nothing he does is according to an official plan, and he basically just sticks with his gut.

Now, in light of those two instances, I would argue that if we're setting default, standard, baseline colors for the Jedi, that blue should be for Consulars and green should be for Guardians, because given the difference in Obi-Wan in ANH and Qui-Gon in TPM, one could argue they fit better in those categories, and therefore the colors are mildly more accurate.

But again, it's mostly conjecture, because I haven't seen a G-canon source (straight from the horse's mouth) about an in-universe reason for the differences in lightsaber colors; the only thing I've heard is that RotJ switched Luke's saber to green because of a conflict with the chroma key or an on-set effect, or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi