Jedi Bush-trackers...

More
10 years 7 months ago #117043 by Wescli Wardest
For those that don’t really know me, let me start with I love nature. And one thing I like above all others is being out in “the wild.” I also enjoy the history of how mankind has learned to exist in the world and overcome the obstacles nature puts before him.

Attachment hdd7829d.jpg not found

Arming people with the basic skills to achieve survival in the wild is one thing. Knowing how and why things work is another. Creative thinking, adaptability, and coexisting within your environment is one of the aspects of the human experience I really enjoy. But bush craft isn’t just about surviving whatever nature throws at us. It is connecting with our past and nature.

One important aspect of bush craft to remember is there is no one right way. For each person and in each situation there are things that will work better than others. So if anyone would like to discuss nature, history and bush craft… then let’s have fun with it!

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Alexandre Orion

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #117047 by Wescli Wardest
To start off, let me introduce everyone to one of my favorite Bush Craft instructors, Dave Canterburry.

I like that he does research to find out what actually happened according to written record, experiments with what he finds and shows his failures as well as is sucesses.

This is a series on Bush Craft for the 21st Century Longhunter. I really enjoyed it.

There are 47 videos in all and this is the playlist... it should keep going to the next one in the series.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #117052 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
Most of my training and experience is survival stuff for deep wilderness backpaking not living off the land for sustenance. Warm, dry, protection from the elemants and water can get you by for several days.

I can make shelter and fire under any conditions. Find north, south, east and west without a compass. I can fish and trap small animals if I had to.

These are just skills that make me comfortable in the outdoors knowing I can survive a tough situation if I had to. There fun to learn too.

I once was trying to fish with a hand held line and caught no fish but my minnow trap, made from a pop bottle, caught me enough small fish (bait) to feed me.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117069 by
Fantiastic! Love this idea. Anyone into the primitive art of slinging? I have been playing with it for about a year. I started making them out of paracord not too long ago, here is my most recent variant.

Attachment hc5a3867.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
10 years 7 months ago #117074 by Wescli Wardest
That is awesome! I have one I made out of leather, but I would love to know how you made it out of paracord.

Also, I made an adaptation so that my slingshot could fire arrows. I will have to get pictures or video or something. It works really, really well!

More
10 years 7 months ago #117077 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Jedi Bush-trackers...
I'm currently working on a project to build a one-man canoe, using only hand-tools, lumber, and a tarp, which can fit inside a smart car.

Will have to document the project and create a how-to

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #117086 by

Andy Spalding wrote: Fantiastic! Love this idea. Anyone into the primitive art of slinging? I have been playing with it for about a year. I started making them out of paracord not too long ago, here is my most recent variant.

Attachment hc5a3867.JPG not found

I used one a lot as a kid. Could only hit the side of a barn.

Can you hit anything with it worth eating?

I think a bow and arrows can put more small animal meat in the pot and they are not very hard to make out of naturally available materials.

Making cord takes time though.

BTW Very Cool B)
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117087 by
I make bows as well. Check out "Andy's Sketch book".

But yes, i can hit something the size of a street sign at 30 meters. Though i would call the reliability of that to be at around 40%

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117088 by
I think most small game, squirrels, rabits, birds would be at close range. All you have to do is stunn them enought for you to catch up to them.

I've been thinking about making a fire piston out of bamboo. Just haven't got around to it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117089 by
That is also a project I have been wanting to do. Please post it up if you get to it before I do.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi