Jedi views on homosexuality

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 04:03 #58645

My 2 cents on this would have to be:

I no longer believe that the United States, or possibly any other country, creates laws specifically for unity, general safety, and morality. Whether it be against homosexuality, or something else harmless, the government seems to exceed expectations on making laws just to simply--well, make laws!

And on the note of YthanH, I agree completely. Another good example is The bible was translated into English from Hebrew way before we even had a complete grasp on original hebrew. They have since corrected a few things but not all is complete, and not all is original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Megan4506

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 11:01 #58669

@ bornofosiris: You're right. The Bible has been changed and things have been forged by peolpe many times, so (in my opinion) not every thing that's in the bible should be trusted, such as the views on homosexuality. No offence intended to any "bible-lovers".

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 11:28 #58675

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
On the Bible but, the one we normally read now was translated from Greek normally which was how it was written and some hebrew and there are a lot of miss-translations in it so it is possible that Jesus was gay or had a relationship with Mary just depends which translation you take and into how of it you read

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 19:24 #58757

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was appropriate (apologies to those that can't see it):
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150833...28349&type=1&theater

A great argument against all those that quote the Bible (Old Testament) when discriminating.
Sometimes another door doesn't need to open just because one closes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Viskhard, Darren, Kimla Daalm, Luthien, Kalkho

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 19:41 #58762

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
Mark Anjuu wrote:
Saw this on Facebook and thought it was appropriate (apologies to those that can't see it):
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150833...28349&type=1&theater

A great argument against all those that quote the Bible (Old Testament) when discriminating.

Love that letter, always makes me cack up when i see it :D

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 08:56 #58829

• Kalkho
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9870
To all Christians opposing homosexuality: Jesus clearly stated, that there are no Commandments greater than the Two Commandments of Love. You're not exactly loving your fellow men by hating them, do you?

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 09:11 #58830

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
I can't say it enough, I love this comic strip!

coffeewithjesus65.jpg
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Viskhard, Darren, csmith

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 16:09 #58865

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
We were talking in chat and this was brought up:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: PloKoon, Darren

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 17:27 #58876

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
@akkarin

What I said before about age of consent, I am merely trying not to encourage breaking Laws that for the most part, do protect the people without taking away a disproportinate amount of freedom. There can be no arguement that laws about legal age of consent do more bad than good. Do I think there should be a way to work around them whento individuals do consent with at least a decent idea of what they are getting into, yes. Legitimate protection good, tyranny bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 05 May 2012 16:09 #59172

same here Akkarin i fall in love with people
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • An Answer for Unification- please read I know it's... (Last post by Brian)
    • Quote: An individual is an individual- but the question isn't how can individual Jedi be taken seriously, it's "How can Jedi be taken seriously". Tell me, if someone that were a Scientologist were to run for office, do you believe people would take him seriously? As it stands, I know a Jedi (he's even got works in the Great Jedi Holocron) that is running for Congress- in order to do our best in supporting him, we've ensured his real life name has been wiped from the records. He has also pulled out of the community since he started down a political path. He is still Jedi in every sense of the word- and only a select few will ever know what he has accomplished as a Jedi. With any luck, maybe one of the old guard will survive him and log the story in our history- who knows it might be me. But don't you think it a bit of a tragedy that by just being affiliated with the community might prevent them from achieving some great things? Things greater than you or me? Or maybe even that a Jedi running for Congress? Yes, I do.
    • My vision for a United Jedi Order (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • Here's an Idea... Why don't you all go back to your "home" sites and make them become one of us and shut down their sites. Then we can all be one happy TOTJO Family! Our Doctrine, Our Codes! Or Just Go Away!
    • Article: This is why Poor People's Bad Decisions M... (Last post by Jestor)
    • While endured my trials, I am in control of my attitude and outlook.... And like so many, and I see Alethea on a similar boat, you never see us complain, not those with a Jedi spirit... We get tired, exasperated, grumpy, but, itvis just us "flapping our wings"..... While I took the trials with a grain of salt, my wife was devastated.... A Jedi mindset is different, but I think anyone can learn it... Just some take longer than others...
    • American Jedi (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Oh geeez....Now I hope Laurent changes the name...to be compared to that 0_0 *shudders*
    • HAPPINESS (Last post by Doomeniek)
    • quite a scientific approach, good piece of lecture my friend. I dont know how i do it but i just do :) <--- look at it, this is happiness!
    • Discussion 0 - Introduction to the Monomyth (Last post by Akkarin)
    • This went on for quite some time lol, I haven't proof-read it so I hope it all makes sense! Spoiler: Quote: 1. Re-read Campbell's four functions of mythology. Now think about a myth which is important to you (feel free to use Star Wars, another example I gave, or any other beloved myth). Does it satisfy the four functions? How so? For me my most favourite myth is definitely Lord of the Rings! As this is the myth I am most familiar with I will likely use this to illustrate all of my examples. The Metaphysical Function - Awakening a sense of awe before the mystery of being The first book of the Lord of the Rings (LotR) trilogy begins with the protagonist, Frodo, living peacefully in a quaint and relaxed country known as "The Shire". Frodo, as a Hobbit, is very small in stature - no more than four feet high - which is typical of every Hobbit in the Shire. As the story progresses Frodo and his other Hobbit companions set out into a world far more ancient than the existence of Halflings and, as they are small in size, a world very much "bigger" than any of them are ever used to. They are very much "out of place" in the world, unable to comprehend much of the historical and political reality of what they are entering, unused to the strange cultures, prejudices and hardships of the people's they meet. I very much feel that their journey's across Middle Earth can be looked at as though the are our journeys through life. Me, as a person, a white male who speaks English, lives in the United Kingdom, and is coming into a world where I am expected to become an independent grown man. I have lived under the guidance of others my entire life, but I am now expected to make decisions for myself. "My-self", what is my "Self"? Where do I fit into this world? What job will I do? What will I learn? Who will I meet? How will I accomplish the tasks set before me? As with the Hobbits and their journey across Middle Earth, I have a similar journey - into a world far more grand and ancient than myself or Humans as a race. A world which is far larger and complex, beautiful and violent, than any single person could ever understand. The Earth is most definitely awe inspiring, and it's mysteries and the mystery of where I am in it is both scary and wondrous. The Cosmological Function - Explaining the shape of the universe LotR is perhaps more unique on explaining the shape of the universe in that within the other LotR books the shape of the world and the universe is quite literally written down exactly as it is and how it came to be. Continuing on from the Metaphysical Function, perhaps the most relevant line in the film for this topic is when Galadriel says "For the time would soon come when hobbits would shape the fortunes of all." (I cannot remember if that is taken from the books). The reason I chose that quote in particular, is because myself (as the Hobbit) am entering into the world and as a being of this universe I am ecologically destined to effect it. Whether the ripples of my life are big or small I will personally never know, but ripples there will be. Just as the largest star will eventually come to an end, producing the material needed for a new generation, so too will the older humans of my life come to an end leaving behind the material they created and they inherited to myself. So the cycle continues, on a cosmological scale, the new will replace the old just as the ripples of the Hobbits changed the thousand-year traditions and assumptions of the folk they met. The Sociological Function - Validating and supporting the existing social order The social order of the Shire is one of peace, health, love and enjoyment. This is the state of society that the hobbits left, and it is the state of society that they returned to (though this takes a little longer in the books *Spoiler Alert* because the Shire had actually been invaded by brigands and outlaws). The world the Hobbits entered into was not like that of the Shire. There was no King of Gondor - only a regent whose reign was failing, by the end of their journey the king had been restored and prosperity returned to the realm. Theoden, whose mind had been corrupted, was having his lands raided and pillaged by Orks and evil men, by the end of their journey the Orks were defeated and the men stopped their raiding. Elves and Dwarves who had a grudge between them for several thousand years managed in some part to overcome this through Legolas and Gimli (Gimli came to be known as "Elf-friend"). Overall once the hobbits had finished their journey, the difficulties of the world were gone and the peace of the Shire was shared everywhere. The Pedagogical Function - Teaching and guiding the individual through the stages of life Gandalf was the embodiment of the "Wise Old Man" archetype and is the main teacher in the film often distilling little tidbits of wisdom (particularly to Frodo) when Frodo needs to hear them, or when Frodo needs to understand something. Eventually the wise father figure and Frodo separate and instead the guiding of Frodo is left to his closest and best friend Sam. Metaphorically this is the same as when the old wise figure in your life eventually passes away, who are you left with? Your friends. It will happen to everyone at some point, and there will be trials and tests of friendship along the way, but eventually this will be the case for each of us. Spoiler: Quote: Homer wrote the Odyssey around 700BC. George Lucas wrote Star Wars in the 1970s, over 2500 years later. Both were successful in creating enduring, beloved myths. Why do you think both followed the same structure? What does this tell you about the writers? How about the audience? Consider the following story: Tom owns a ball. The ball is red. Tom went outside. Tom played with the ball. Tom came inside. THE END. This is the kind of story that might be written by children, because generally children are not capable of forming complex ideas and questions. As we get older we begin wanting to hear about description, what was the weather like? How old was Tom? etc Tom was a small five year old boy. Tom owned a bright red ball. Tom went outside. The sun was really bright and Tom felt warm. Tom played with his ball. Tom came inside. It was much cooler inside. THE END. Now why would most people find the second story more interesting? Well the same stuff happens, but you are told more things, you know what a sunny day looks and feels like, you know perhaps what it was like to play when you were five. You are empathising with the situation, perhaps it evokes fond memories in you? Perhaps it gives you an idea about what to do the next time it is sunny? Young children toddlers etc can't make complex connections, they do not have deep emotional connections and experiences, but as we get older we begin to ask these sorts of questions, as our intellectual faculties increase we begin thinking about things, our parents, our day-care, and our stories. Tom was a small five year old boy, who lived with his mother and father in a comfortable home. Tom's favourite toy was a bright red bouncy ball that he liked playing with as often as he could. Father was out at work and mother was planting some flowers in the garden. Tom loved their garden so he picked up his ball and went outside to play near mother in the gloriously warm sun. Tom could smell the soil that mother was working with and ran around with delight bouncing his ball all over the garden furniture. Soon though Tom became tired and his mother led him by his hand back into the cool indoors of their home. Tom's mother led him to his room and tucked him into his bed and Tom very quickly went to sleep. THE END. That story adds even more depth and evokes much stronger imagery in the reader's mind. The ideas it evokes keeps the reader interested, it keeps them wanting to know what might happen next. So the complexity of the story can continue, we start knowing the why's, how's, who's, when's, feeling's of every part of the story in a way that the reader will continue to be interested in learning about. The interest the reader has is evoked by their understanding, their empathy, of the characters and events that are depicted, whether those events are similar to past experiences, or future experiences, or even imaginary experiences that we desire to have. Great myths evoke that quality in the audience that watches/reads/listens to them. We see ourselves in the story, so the story becomes the embodiment of our psyche. I will stop here before I start talking about the collective unconsciousness, because that's where that paragraph was leading lol and that is the next question. Spoiler: Quote: Read this article on the collective unconscious. How do you feel about it? Does the collective unconscious seem like a realistic idea to you? How does it relate to a belief in the Force? Going straight into the idea of the 'collective unconscious' might seem a little daunting but I think it becomes much easier when you consider physiological ideas, that we all have collectively. Consider that we all have: two eyes, five digits on our hands, one brain and two legs. Consider also that we all feel: fear, love, jealousy, anger, happiness, kindness compassion and boredom. Consider we all experience: hunger, thirst, hot, cold, dreams, desires, pain, smell, touch and taste. After thinking about all those things we would probably come to the conclusion that actually... there are quite a lot of similarities behind everything that makes up each human "Self". Why does religion exist in every society on the planet? Why does every society create a system of spoken language to communicate? Why do all (or most) of our languages have nouns, adjectives, adverbs, verbs etc? Noam Chomsky says that it might be possible that a Martian 'was looking at humans the way we look at, say frogs, the Martian might conclude that there's fundamentally one language with minor deviations. And I think we're moving towards an understanding of how that might be the case and it is pretty clear that it has to be the case. The time of development [for language to appear] is much too shallow for fundamental changes to have taken place and we know of no fundamental changes.'*1 What I have said does not "prove" anything about the collective unconscious, but certainly I find that the examples I have given should provide some compelling reasons to think that a collective unconscious might exist. The idea ultimately is claiming that humans, on some level, are all pretty similar to each other. We can take this further and think about how ideas of our "individuality" are greatly exaggerated. Rowan Williams, the former Archbishop of Canterbury writes: Quote: 'We romanticise the lonely self, we are fascinated by its pathos and its drama; we explore it in literature and psychological analysis, and treat its apparent requirements with reverence. None of this is wrong - though it may be risky and a courting of fantasy; but we have to think harder, in the 'western', or North Atlantic, world about the way the self is already shaped by the relations in which is stands. Long before we can have any intelligent account of our 'selfhood' in absolutely distinct terms, we already have identities we did not choose; others have entered into what we are - parents and neighbours, the inheritance of class and nation or tribe, all those around us who are speaking the language we are going to learn.' - Rowan Williams, Making Moral decisions Are we really as "individual" as we like to think? One of my favourite sayings is "I am unique; just like everyone else." Such differences like language, money, nationality, race etc all seem pretty shallow when you consider that regardless of all of these differences... we are still Homosapien, Human. For myself The Force is a word I find best describes a fundamental connection between everything in the universe. This is a fact of ecology, so it is entirely unsurprising that this hypothesis, the "collective unconscious", exists and would appear to have some merit to it. 1. bigthink.com/videos/noam-chomsky-on-languages-great-mysteries Spoiler: Quote: The Hero's Journey tells the tale of a single person undergoing challenges and becoming something greater than they were for the benefit of that which they believe in. How does this relate to the Temple of the Jedi Order, and your personal path as a Jedi? TotJO is many things, but perhaps one of the most important things it is is an educational organisation. We have a very strong educational environment. Typically people that come here stay because they see the doctrine as a codified system of beliefs that they agree with. They begin their training because they wish to improve themselves in some way, to further their understanding of the Doctrine, The Force, and themselves. Sometimes though it is just looking for a community to be a part of, to be oneself and not have to be worried about public recrimination from people. Many people are here because, for whatever reason, they have suffered somewhat in their life and need a place where they feel they can belong. Many people might have faced some kind of prejudice, or discrimination, or bullying, because of one or multiple different factors in their life - factors that more often or not are outside of their control. That is one of the many trials they, as the Hero, face in their lives. Coming to TotJO is another part of that journey and many come to try and overcome these problems and in doing so become healthier, happier people as a result. All of us come here and none of us ever really know what might happen. I have found myself being profoundly educated here, as I'm sure most others have also. Over the time I have been here, been a Jedi, (which is now over seven years :/ lol) this has become my status-quo and the knowledge and wisdom I have learnt here has helped me overcome and avoid many different dragons in my life.
    • Jediism, connect multiple communitys and orders. [... (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: What matters more, I feel is what is most simple: right here, right now, human being to human being... connecting by simply getting together and having a conversation and having some fun, and being in the present moment. That is all connection is. It has nothing to do with groups, or systems, or projects, or anything else. It's just simple being-to-being interaction. What we learn as Jedi (regardless of where that differs between us), all have things in common which will come through in that interaction, most as long as people simply work with those commonalities. I think/feel this is a beautiful statment. :) B)
    • How can we be taken seriously? (Last post by Alan)
    • Thanks, Adder. All my posts are for the benefit of the Order and can be used or placed anywhere the Council wishes. I also take requests when time allows. B) Personally, in reference to the Topic Title, the Temple of the Jedi Order can be taken seriously because its beliefs are 'theologically' more mature, clearly developed in reference to other religions (Daoism, Zen, etc.) , and importantly, not reliant upon a fictional film series and its spin-off novels.

There are 330 visitors, 4 guests and 21 members online (one is in chat): Daniel L., Br. John, steamboat28, Firewolf, Jestor, Karn, Phortis Nespin, Adder, Desolous, Proteus, Xon-Tay Lor, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, jadedbehan, Cabur Senaar, TambelSadera, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Jeffery Williams, Tarran.

Follow Us