Jedi views on homosexuality

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 04:03 #58645

My 2 cents on this would have to be:

I no longer believe that the United States, or possibly any other country, creates laws specifically for unity, general safety, and morality. Whether it be against homosexuality, or something else harmless, the government seems to exceed expectations on making laws just to simply--well, make laws!

And on the note of YthanH, I agree completely. Another good example is The bible was translated into English from Hebrew way before we even had a complete grasp on original hebrew. They have since corrected a few things but not all is complete, and not all is original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Megan4506

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 11:01 #58669

@ bornofosiris: You're right. The Bible has been changed and things have been forged by peolpe many times, so (in my opinion) not every thing that's in the bible should be trusted, such as the views on homosexuality. No offence intended to any "bible-lovers".
Show compassion to all living beings.
Live to serve life.

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 11:28 #58675

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
On the Bible but, the one we normally read now was translated from Greek normally which was how it was written and some hebrew and there are a lot of miss-translations in it so it is possible that Jesus was gay or had a relationship with Mary just depends which translation you take and into how of it you read

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 19:24 #58757

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was appropriate (apologies to those that can't see it):
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150833...28349&type=1&theater

A great argument against all those that quote the Bible (Old Testament) when discriminating.
Sometimes another door doesn't need to open just because one closes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Viskhard, Darren, Kimla Daalm, Luthien, Kalkho

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 19:41 #58762

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
Mark Anjuu wrote:
Saw this on Facebook and thought it was appropriate (apologies to those that can't see it):
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150833...28349&type=1&theater

A great argument against all those that quote the Bible (Old Testament) when discriminating.

Love that letter, always makes me cack up when i see it :D

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 08:56 #58829

• Kalkho
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9870
To all Christians opposing homosexuality: Jesus clearly stated, that there are no Commandments greater than the Two Commandments of Love. You're not exactly loving your fellow men by hating them, do you?

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 09:11 #58830

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
I can't say it enough, I love this comic strip!

coffeewithjesus65.jpg
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Viskhard, Darren, Morganna

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 16:09 #58865

• Akkarin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
We were talking in chat and this was brought up:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: PloKoon, Darren

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 17:27 #58876

@akkarin

What I said before about age of consent, I am merely trying not to encourage breaking Laws that for the most part, do protect the people without taking away a disproportinate amount of freedom. There can be no arguement that laws about legal age of consent do more bad than good. Do I think there should be a way to work around them whento individuals do consent with at least a decent idea of what they are getting into, yes. Legitimate protection good, tyranny bad.
Peace be with you.

Also, keep being awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 05 May 2012 16:09 #59172

same here Akkarin i fall in love with people
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 10 x 2 x (2 hands) 3 kg triceps 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 10 x 2 x (2 hands) 3 kg triceps
    • Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project (Last post by Lone Starr)
    • Quote: Besides the practical limitations of building a temple, the planning and organising etc, we don't actually need one. What would we use it for? Other than just having a Temple? Sure we can use it to host Jedi gatherings, that might actually be a great way of using it, and we can use it to maybe hold training sessions etc or as a spiritual retreat for members of the public and other Jedi etc, hosting teaching seminars and so on. Those sorts of things are probably a great use of the land. That being said we only have $400 in our bank account so we aren't even close to be able to afford this sort of thing. A fundraiser would also have to be justified and we would need a full plan in place for that. The fastest way to encourage us to begin building a temple would either be a larger influx of donations or a donation of viable land itself. Not just 'land' either, you have to take into account such things as transport, sanitation, electricity, water, planning restrictions, the surrounding use for the land, future use of surrounding land, and not to mention variable weather conditions to make living there actually enjoyable etc. One benefit to having an actual temple or even a monastery would be having a controlled environment where people could go and gain mastery over themselves and greater understanding of the principles they are supposed to embody without the constant distraction of the outside world. This is not to say they should be insular, but that mastery of the Ideology has to come before it can be effectively applied to the outside world. Another benefit is it would increase the legitimacy of the Religion in the eyes of the outside world. All of this would contribute to the survive ability of the Jediism. As far as organization the temple as described in the book The Jedi Path could be a template, and it could be administered in like fasion to the coop Mondragon all under a series of 503c`s
    • Questions (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: First off, thank you for taking the time to read this! Hi, I am a current college student who is taking a Sociology of Religion course at my university. One of the assignments is to find a religion that is currently being practiced and research it. In my group I am assigned to: O Describes a typical day and week for an active member O Describes typical monthly and yearly religious events (holidays, traditions, rites of passage, etc.) There are a few other thins I have to do as well. But if any and/or all of you could answer these for me that would be so wonderful! You may also ask me questions if you'd like or add more than just these questions. Describe rituals you may perform, daily tasks you must do, any paraphernalia you need to wear or carry around with you, religious celebrations, or anything else you can think of. What do you do for your meditations? How long? Is it encourage or required to meditate every day? if not, how often? During your week, how often do you do things that pertain to your religion? Are there any celebrations unique to your religion? If so, what is it and what do you do for it? How often? Does one gender have a responsibility that the other does not? What do you do to become higher ranked? Do you have a right of passage? This would help me out an incredible amount. Thank you in advance, Dee :) first i have to explain that i am an active jedi but i am not officially an active member of this church beyond the criteria that i participate in discussion and i am commited to involvement in the jedi way of life the specific activities of my day, in and of themselves, are a result of my personal - life - context, and therefore would not, in and of themselves, apply to everyone else what does apply is that every day i seek to grow and be aware of myself and put myself more and more into alignment with the principles of the jedi way of life for me this means ive had to come to definite conclusions about what it means to be jedi and what i personally need to do in order to get there and now im using every day as opportunity to follow the baic program i have the aspects of this which DO apply to most everyone is that i work out, i study, i pursue well defined and predetermined goals which are meant to bring me more and more into position to contribute to my society (the earth and all of us on it) in a way that is positive and personally meaningfull and appropriate to me as an individual meditation my focus right now is mindfullness meditaion (which is a lifelong practice for all jedi) and "kime" which basically means "strengthen your ability to focus" (and is really also lifelong) there are two ways of doing this that i understand 1) single point focus/kime which is to focus on a single point; 1) within the body - which is (traditional to japanese martial arts) called the ONE POINT/HARA or CENTER located a little below the navel but which i feel should also include other areas of the body, specifically the spots which are known as the as the chakra locations or 2) in the environment, such as a candles flame or a leaf on a tree or even a spot on the wall and in yoga is refered to as Trataka the progress i have reached in trataka is that eventually the entire world disapears into a blackness while the eyes are wide open i dont know what comes after this but i think its fascinating that this can happen and its a challenge to keep it when it does because being aware and focusing on it makes it go away and then there is 2) "expanding awareness" focus/kime which is basically to be fully immersed in all senses - to be visually aware of everything in your complete field of visual capability all at once this starts with being aware of your peripherial vision fully from far left to far right and then expands upwards to the cut off point made by the eyebrows and downward to the space directly in front of the feet AND THEN to include total attention to notice every sound that happens in the environment around you and to feel your one point HARA and the entire surface of you skin and to be attentive to every smell and to be aware of every thought and sensation of the mind and every sense and sensation of the body pretty intense really -this meditation can really become very excting! theres no specific time amount i like to do the "expanding focus" and the ONE POINT/HARA meditations as moving meditations and the one point/chakra and trataka as stillness meditations these are all really just different types of mindfullness meditation, which in essence can be done anywhere under any circumstance there are no requirements i RECOMMEND doing these every chance you get the goal is to become fully mindfull of every moment of life the result of basically achieving that goal is that time takes on a new meaning - and even in sleep one is aware of oneself when you understand "religion" to mean "what i belive is true about life and myself and the relationship between me and the rest of existence" then you realize that every moment is a "religious" moment to quote henry rollins "there is no DOWN time, no OFF time, no FREE time, THERES ONLY LIFE-TIME its all of our responsibiliies to develop ourselves and to find a way to contribute and be of service to the world this is what distinguishes a Jedi from, say, a mercenary - Jedi serve something greater than their own ambition and they serve for the sake of being of service service is a fair and proper giving back of what was given weve already been paid for our service with the honor of being blessed with the opportunity to be Jedi now we find ways to serve as expressions of our gratitude and in acknowledgement of our responsibility we all have powers - powers are nothing more than ones ability to achieve and ones ability to have an affect a jedi is any person who makes a sincere commitment to reach the full extent of their personal power and to use their power in a wholesome way for the benefit and well being of others and to interact in a way that we remain true to ourselves without imposing ourselves on others, but as far as possible, are respectful of everyones dignity these things are the responsibility of all of us, but how any particular jedi will do this is again a matter of personal life context you yourself could do this in your own personal way simply by decidng and determining that you want to and that you are going to it doesnt have any special requirements beyond what ive just explained everything in a Jedi's life comes as a result of that commitment the temple here has a program for advancing in rank what i would want to know when judging rank is how much does fear prevent you from doing what you want to do? in what way do you serve? what can you do? in what ways are you excellent? who is better off as a result of your life? the procces of using ones life as a vehicle and opportunity to answer those questions well is a good rite of passage for anybody
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Goken)
    • I am the bank, not the information desk! Does it say Information Desk anywhere near me? No! What does the sign behind me, all the little signs on the counter, and my name tag say on them? BANK! I know nothing about the event going on in the building today! I don't know when/where your seminar is. I know where I work, where the bathroom is, and where the closest place to get food is, THAT IS IT and quite frankly I don't want to tell you where those things are so that you don't think that you can come to me with non-bank related questions. I'm going to because I'm still a nice person, but I don't want to. phew!
    • Why Do People Believe Stupid Stuff, Even When They... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • i think mostly its that we choose to pay attention to the trash certainly theres no shortage of it and sometimes i get pretty frustrated that i cant look up song lyrics without some weird advertisement taking over the whole screen - like the whole idea is to literally force me to read the ad against my will, like i feel ive been textually assaulted - but if i dont eat it the effects of the force feeding are that i realize i was not forced at all really, just inconvenienced
    • 5 rights women have that men don't (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: I don't believe that every behaviour has a positive start, only that it escalates. For example, someone with a controlling personality doesn't start out by physically harming their spouse in order to solicit the desired behaviour. It normally starts off with small verbal and emotional manipulations that the spouse is more likely to let slide. Controlling behaviour is never a positive intention. i saw something today while i was out and about and it remided me of thos comment at the time that i posted what i said yesterday i was only thinking of "normal" (ha) people who despite the natural flaws of being human still really mean well and care for others i guess it wasnt necssaily what you were getting at, so my bad for reading more than was there, but i was reminded of a couple of people that i have known who, far as i can tell, really dont value anyone and really dont see anything wrong with that so i guess i was responding to myself
    • Victim Blaming vs Personal Responsability (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: to be responsible means that we accept that our existence is precarious that we are in the midst of a world which can be utterly unforgiving and impersonal and that it is our responsibility to empower ourselves to handle the implications of that i feel like this is the important part ive had my car broken in to ive had my belongings stolen i was homeless and the police cut my tent to shreds in the middle of winter one time in fact it was a RAINY winter im not gonna go all sob story but i understand real well how it feels to get dumped on i still maintain responsibility is the empowering option
    • Beyond Carnism and towards Rational, Authentic Foo... (Last post by RyuJin)
    • in any case...nothing will change me from eating meat. my dietary needs require animal protein...i've tried vegetarian/vegan...all it did was make me physically weak...occasionally i'll go a couple of days without meat just to see what happens, i eat other sources of higher amounts of protein and still end up feeling weaker...sometimes it gets so bad i barely have the strength to stand, and still feel hungry despite having a full stomach...the moment i eat some meat the hunger is sated and i feel my strength return... they could discover a meat free diet that causes immortality and i'll still eat meat....just because one person doesn't feel comfortable about the methods, doesn't mean they have the moral high ground to tell others they're wrong... generally i don't buy meat from the grocery store because it's of lesser quality than from the local butcher...and the meat of highest quality is from freshly killed (hunted) animals...being part native american, hunting is a spiritual experience for me...
    • unconditional love (Last post by baru)
    • Quote: I am sitting here thinking that you all have turned 2 words in something like 10-12. Here is how I would define unconditional love...MOM! Kind of says it all. ;) Motherly love is a unique type of love - is there a word for that? yes, since words are so limited and specific, I am looking for a specific word that expresses my sensation of eternal, complete, divine, Force, bound, binding, abundant love in one word. I do feel that confusion comes from the fact that there is one word for so many feelings that people attribute to this word. I am discovering the limitations of words in expressing feelings. I am discovering the importance of images for expressing emotional and universal sensings. This could be why Egyptians used Hieroglyphics in stead of "letters". Images hold so much more than a letter. This is why I prefer comic books and movies to traditional novels. I am finding this thread inspiring. I am enjoying that some many people are interested in exploring this concept.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Got a lot of grateful to get off my chest today.... I'm grateful to my parents and grandparents, who do more for me than they should, and more than I deserve, who taught me to work hard but be generous. I'm grateful to my fiance, who taught me say 'f*** it' and be myself. I'm grateful to my year ten history teacher, who taught me that one voice can change the world. I'm grateful for my record player... even though half the disks have been played to death, there's something more soulful in the music from a record than from any mp3 or cd.

There are 193 visitors, 5 guests and 27 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, Shadouness, RyuJin, Jestor, Karn, ren, LTK, Gisteron, Proteus, Luthien, V-Tog, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Brenna, Llama Su, Vesha, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Exarchias, Sha Karn, Loudzoo, smirq, Atticus509, Dee, TheDude.

Follow Us