Jedi views on homosexuality

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 04:03 #58645

My 2 cents on this would have to be:

I no longer believe that the United States, or possibly any other country, creates laws specifically for unity, general safety, and morality. Whether it be against homosexuality, or something else harmless, the government seems to exceed expectations on making laws just to simply--well, make laws!

And on the note of YthanH, I agree completely. Another good example is The bible was translated into English from Hebrew way before we even had a complete grasp on original hebrew. They have since corrected a few things but not all is complete, and not all is original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Megan4506

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 11:01 #58669

@ bornofosiris: You're right. The Bible has been changed and things have been forged by peolpe many times, so (in my opinion) not every thing that's in the bible should be trusted, such as the views on homosexuality. No offence intended to any "bible-lovers".

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 11:28 #58675

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
On the Bible but, the one we normally read now was translated from Greek normally which was how it was written and some hebrew and there are a lot of miss-translations in it so it is possible that Jesus was gay or had a relationship with Mary just depends which translation you take and into how of it you read

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 19:24 #58757

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was appropriate (apologies to those that can't see it):
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150833...28349&type=1&theater

A great argument against all those that quote the Bible (Old Testament) when discriminating.
Sometimes another door doesn't need to open just because one closes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Viskhard, Darren, Kimla Daalm, Luthien, Kalkho

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 02 May 2012 19:41 #58762

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
Mark Anjuu wrote:
Saw this on Facebook and thought it was appropriate (apologies to those that can't see it):
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150833...28349&type=1&theater

A great argument against all those that quote the Bible (Old Testament) when discriminating.

Love that letter, always makes me cack up when i see it :D

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 08:56 #58829

• Kalkho
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9870
To all Christians opposing homosexuality: Jesus clearly stated, that there are no Commandments greater than the Two Commandments of Love. You're not exactly loving your fellow men by hating them, do you?

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 09:11 #58830

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
I can't say it enough, I love this comic strip!

coffeewithjesus65.jpg
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Viskhard, Darren, csmith

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 16:09 #58865

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
We were talking in chat and this was brought up:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: PloKoon, Darren

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 03 May 2012 17:27 #58876

• csmith
  • Novice
  • ID: 10203
@akkarin

What I said before about age of consent, I am merely trying not to encourage breaking Laws that for the most part, do protect the people without taking away a disproportinate amount of freedom. There can be no arguement that laws about legal age of consent do more bad than good. Do I think there should be a way to work around them whento individuals do consent with at least a decent idea of what they are getting into, yes. Legitimate protection good, tyranny bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin

Re: Jedi views on homosexuality 05 May 2012 16:09 #59172

same here Akkarin i fall in love with people
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Shambhala Flyer (Last post by Streen)
    • I don't mean to argue, but given the history of humanity, people are not fundamentally good and we typically take the path of least resistance. Not that we should act that way, I'm just saying, when left to our own devices, we tend to be selfish and kind of stupid. Kindness and wisdom take practice.
    • In a Sith Bar..... (Last post by Arkayik)
    • Quote: You mean he wanted an Alec Guinness? :whistle: Yes, if I'd have thought of it B) Good one :laugh:
    • Jedi Movies? (Last post by SilverWolf)
    • Matrix The Last Samurai The Dark Crystal DragonHeart - in the code of honor and doing the right thing Excalibur Men of Honor - Due to it's message of honor and never giving up despite unbelievable odds
    • Parents Religion and Respect (Last post by SilverWolf)
    • I can relate to Cyan's situation as well, I am 44 years old, 90% of my family is Irish catholic, I was brought up in a bapist church, and baptized in a pentcostal church in alexandria, LA because I had never been baptized before and "thought" it was the right thing to do at the time. I was wrong. I felt uncomfortable there, other people started judging me because I did not speak in tongues yet and could not understand my reserved nature. I believe in christianity and I have an open mind to all religions as well. However, as far as religion and christianity is concerned, you can believe in God ANYWHERE, because he is ANYWHERE. You don't HAVE TO BE IN A CHURCH. Going to church is nice for the sense of community, but you have to feel comfortable there and like you belong or it will not work. When I met Rachel, a woman I consider my wife in everyway possible that matters, she was already "on paper" married. her husband was an....well, lets just say he was not a nice guy and did not care about her like i did. Despite her being married "on paper" we lived our lives as if we were married. We had a wonderful son together that we named "Aiden-Gabriel" and we went to the local church to get him "just prayed over" not baptized, just a short "I bless this child so he may grow up protected by the Lord". There were no pastors within a 50 mile radius who would do it. I thought it unfair because children of any age are a blessing. So after searching for a church to go to in the state that I live in which is Georgia, and not finding one I then joined here. I feel more at peace here. As far as your parents threatening to kick you out because you are suposedly leading your sister astray I say these things and I'm using my "common english" bible on this " Do not Judge or you too will be judged. For in the same way you will judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" Matthew 7 verses 1 and 2 . ( kings James translation "Judge not ye be not judged". I was raised disabiled, I was born with mild epilepsy and mild cerebal palsy in my left side. I walk with a limp and I have maybe 30% mobility in my left side. My parents "could have" given me away and tried again for a more "normal" child, but they didn't. They loved me and still love me regardless. I believe that parents should love their children no matter what path they decide. I agree 100% with Cabur though, if you need us, reach out to us we are here for you.
    • Etymology of the word "Jedi" (Last post by den385)
    • @Proteus - I'll answer from pov of my amateur etymology - please, ignore it if it doesn't feel right for you ) 1) The word Jedi originates from "jidai" part of "jidaigeki", where "geki" stands for "drama". So, I'd say that there is no "drama" in being a Jedi :) 2) About translating "jidai" as relating to the "present moment" - IMHO, it's not so. Meiji jidai - that's how they call a historical epoch of Meiji in Japan. So, epoch seems to be the main translation. Of course, etymology doesn't define the meaning ("semantics") of the word. E.g. if your name is "Jesus" (I've googled that it was 0.155% popular male name in USA for 2005) it doesn't mean you can make miracles or even that you're a decent person. Etymology just brings connotations. @Alan Thank you for references! I've seen most of these and you should definitely commit 'em to the "Jedi Movies" -> topic :) @SilverWolf By resources I mean time and energy and conscious effort and meditation to get some sense out of what's happening in the world. News are information, distorted by many things. Politics is just one facet of life. I mean sensing the whole stream of life on the planet - a myriad of flows. Culture, politics, climate, technology, social changes, ethical changes, changes of habits, of style, fashion, trends, economics. And maybe some of this will induce actions of yours.
    • here's a thought. (Last post by StarWalker930)
    • Honestly, I think it's more because here in America, we're simply law suit happy. All it takes is an allegation of something inappropriate, and either the doctor, nurse, or patient could be in for a whole world of hurt, drama, and financial strain.
    • Strict adherence to doctrine. (Last post by Br. John)
    • If the question is can a member of The Order believe in the Death Penalty even though TOTJO as an organization is against it - the answer is they probably can. Merely believing you believe in the Death Penalty as an abstraction is not executing anyone. It may be that upon examining individual cases you won't believe in it or you're unaware of the implications of the Death Penalty in actual practice.
    • Friendly weight loss challenge (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: If you guys are gonna go for percentage of weight lost, I encourage you to focus on cardio as it's really the best way to shrink fat cells. I disagree. Cardio is nice while you're actually doing cardio, but for a really lasting effect weightlifting or HIIT are amazing. When you build muscle, your body uses more energy. Not just while you're exercising, but all the time. You're burning more calories at rest than you did before, because those muscles still need energy and power even when you're not doing lifts or presses or butterflies or what-have-you. I also read in a study somewhere (that I'm Googling for, and can't find) that somewhere in the neighborhood of 78% of your caloric expenditure is at rest, agreeing with the above statement that you use more energy at rest just doing living-person things like breathing and stretching and not-falling-over-dead, percentage-wise, than you do while working out. NerdFitness has an article that compares cardio, HIIT, and weight training, and you can use the Google-ma-tron for other articles or studies if you don't like the one I've given.
    • Placement of the Simple Oath (Last post by Adder)
    • I think the idea is the public announcement to be on and committed to their Jedi path, but the material at TOTJO does not pretend to be the path, its just an example of material to help one on their path. Sorry, I don't have much time today so am in and out a bit (busy).
    • My experience (Last post by Devcalner)
    • Today, I had a small "breakthrough" in telekinesis. I was in class, and we were reviewing something I have learned, so I tore a square sheet of paper, folded it hot dog style, and set it flat on my desk. I began by focusing on the force, and projected energy at one end of the paper. After a while, when my mind was empty of thoughts, it tilted to one side. Then I did it again on the other side. Same result. I continued until the end of the period. After that we went to the gym for related arts, my friend and I have learned we had free time, and we headed outside. We spent the whole time talking to each other of psychic abilities, and ideas of time travel, as well as doing some areokiniesis (which I have a background of 3 yrs. In) My friend is the only person who I know of who believes in what I do. I think he just started out at areokiniesis, so I taught him some techniques, such as how to click and drag energy, or accelerate it. He is a good person and I am glad to have him as a friend. We are also trying to raise earths vibration. Anyone who claims psychic powers (even though power is just an illusion) to be fake, will find they have been unsuccessful in trying to sway me into believing that it's false. I have gone through enough to know that this is real.
    • A Problem. (Last post by Oneiros)
    • Quote: In my eyes, one's own chosen perception and choice of practical application of a lesson is their responsibility. Self accountability is important. Therefore, whatever goes "wrong" with their practical application is on their hands. It is for them to adhere to the consequences of their choices and actions, and learn from their mistakes. No understanding nor practical application can always be perfect and this is one of the things that is part of learning as a Jedi. "Acceptable behavior", beyond the walls and control of the temple's own rules, is not determined by the temple but by the outcome of their actions. It is not for us to be an authority on this. It is not us who teach them, it is they who teach themselves through their experiences. This is how we have always learned from the beginning, because it is the most basic nature of learning we know of. Sure, it's their own responsibility. Taking responsibility for the consequences of one's own actions should be expected. But isn't this where the master (assuming they are an apprentice) comes in? Isn't it incumbent upon the master to teach their pupil and "correct" them? If the pupil is expected to teach themselves, how are they supposed to make progress when they get stuck in behavior that is keeping them from the ultimate truth you spoke of? If we don't have standards, how does the master know how to help the pupil? Also, when you say "Acceptable behavior, beyond the walls and control of the temple's own rules, is not determined by the temple but by the outcome of their actions" it sounds a bit like the end justifies the means. The behavior is acceptable if the outcome of their actions is acceptable. Quote: Well, thankfully, we don't punish somebody for failing to grasp a level of philosophy concerning their human nature. If they fail to learn, then the natural consequences of it will come about as they may. They will experience those consequences, and upon those consequences being undesirable to them, they will naturally figure out for themselves that until they do put in the sincerity to learn, they will continue to experience the effects brought about by where they are in their state of being. All we can do as a temple is be there for them in support of what they are experiencing and offer any guidance that we can (most aptly upon their eventual seeking of it), in the form of sharing our own understanding in a humble and compassionate manner. Agreed. Thankfully nobody is punished for not understanding something or I'd be severely punished by now :) Hopefully it won't take them so many instances of experiencing the consequences of their actions that they harm anyone. Hopefully in their process of self-realization they don't push people away from the temple who do sincerely want to learn. I suppose in more extreme instances the council steps in and takes whatever action they feel is best. Quote: For me, there is no point that I would ever determine that he's not a Jedi. I would never depend on determining that he was in the first place; simply a human being. Remember, a Jedi is a play on the archetype of the Hero on a personal Journey, and that journey often includes phases of faltering, before coming back into redemption. Every Hero experiences it because the virtues that define a Hero depend on it. It is only for the experience of human nature to determine what one can be or can't be - not an institution. That is not our job, nor our ability. That's fair. I certainly wasn't suggesting that someone be punished or anything of the sort because they faltered. I was more concerned with someone who refuses to change their behavior. But Jedi are patient and just because someone is straying from the path doesn't mean we give up on them as long as they show a willingness to learn. And those who (in extreme cases) could bring harm to someone are dealt with at a higher level of administration than the general temple as you say below. Quote: Then they will experience the natural effects of what that brings. They may find that they are not taken seriously, and eventually will become bored after the fact. They may merely start out in such a state but then begin to witness things in certain people exhibiting sincere example around the temple that may instill an inspiration in them to decide to aspire to their state, and realize, they will have to put in the work to do it. Otherwise, they will remain bored and frustrated and go elsewhere to satisfy their ego. That is their prerogative, and not our responsibility to dictate. However, if they begin to disturb the community's ability to focus on the lessons they are working on, they are consulted via PM or email to work out the issue at hand, and if it comes to pass that no amount of dealing with them that way will lessen their disturbance, there are protocols followed to remove them from the temple until they decide to respect the spirit of the rules of the community. I guess this sorta sums up all answers to all my questions. I think perhaps I haven't been around enough to take notice of enough people exhibiting sincere examples to outweigh those exhibiting insincere examples. That's not to say that there aren't great people here. Please don't misunderstand. They just aren't quite as vocal as the rest which limits their efficacy as examples because all we really have to go on is the communication afforded to us by the internet. One of the limits of communicating solely via the internet is that we don't see what people do every day in the Jedi community unless they put it in their journal and we happen to read it. If we were all in a physical temple together or even living in the same community it would be easier for those sincere examples to have an impact. The "standards" would come about naturally.

There are 420 visitors, 3 guests and 26 members online (none in chat): Newwolf, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Streen, Jestor, Connor L., Proteus, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Psyc20, Zenchi, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, porkapon763, GalUnDrux, Exarchias, Cyan Sarden, RaB, Zakkar.

Follow Us