How Do Jedi View Waterboarding?

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:13 #57793

According to our temple doctrine, "Jedi Believe...In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1"

I know that waterboarding is a very controversial issue (one that my dad and I always debate), and that the United States military has used waterboarding as a "advanced method of interrogation". I personally believe it is torture, but my dad always disagrees and says that it doesn't cause pain but merely "scares" the person (because he feels like he's drowning.

Moreover, as a Jedi (in training)...

1) I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
2) I think that waterboarding is torture because it does cause people pain and forces them to answer questions.

3) I oppose waterboarding.

What's your position on this matter? How do other Jedi view waterboarding?

1) Do you oppose any type of torture and cruel and unusual punishment?
2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)
3) (Therefore) Do you oppose or support waterboarding?

Thanks for you opinions, in advance.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:17 #57795

One quick tidbit of perspective...

Some of you may ask why in the world would my dad think waterboarding isn't torture? (It seems a bit crazy to me.)

However, here is what I found on wikipedia: specifically about the Bush Administration's use of waterboarding and their justification for using it on suspected terrorists:

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, U.S. government officials at various times said they did not believe waterboarding to be a form of torture.[12][13][14][15] To justify its use of waterboarding, the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law, including the Bybee memo, which it later withdrew.[16][17][18]"

So, my point is, even though I think that waterboarding is definitely torture (and I'm sure a lot of you also agree), there are many significant people out there that support it and deny that is is torture.

So there are many perspectives. Life is not simple.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:21 #57796

• Darren
  • Knight
  • Deacon
  • ID: 8542
I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
To me, water-boarding is torture. Even if it doesn't cause physical pain, there is emotional and psychological pain involved.
Therefore, I oppose water-boarding.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:24 #57799

It is not a punishment... it is torture!

I openly oppose all torture.
Some forms of water boarding are extremely painful... and they not only damage the body, but the psyche. People are never the same afterwards, and people have died a very slow and terrifying death from it.

I believe that the ends never "justify" the means and that we should conduct ourselves accordingly.
I not only cherish human life, but hold a sanctity to all life.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:25 #57800

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
It would depend how you define torture, if its mental then yes waterboarding is mental torture but it is not physical. Its similar to the water torture of dripping water on someones head although that does cause more physical damage.
The issue is that many see torture as physical and not mental

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:28 #57802

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
I don't know that I would call it torture, but in my quickly formed opinion that is subject to change, I think I'm against it simply because it can be a slippery slope to other extreme forms of punishment.

Instead, ask the prisoner what his favorite foods and dessert are. Then just give the prisoner bread and water while you eat their favorite meals everyday in front of them. Do this until they crack. I'd crack on that kind of treatment in about a day.

See? You don't need "aggresive negotiations."

Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:31 #57803

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Harvestpaw

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:42 #57805

Well, I think we can all agree that waterboarding is something we would not like to do or to be subject of. In my opinion it is clearly a form of torture.

From the linguistical point of view:

If we look the definition of torture up, in the spanish royal language academy dictionary (Real Academia Española de la Lengua), we find the following definition:
Grave dolor físico o psicológico infligido a alguien, con métodos y utensilios diversos, con el fin de obtener de él una confesión, o como medio de castigo. which means: serious physical or psicological pain inflicted to someone with diverse methods and tools, with the goal of obtaaining a confession or as a punishment. therefore wateboading would be a form of torture.

From the moral point of view:

From this point of view another controversy arises, ¿Is it justified in some situations to inflict pain on another person to obtain information which may save a life?. I say to save a life because I believe that the right to live is the highest one there is, and therefore the only one that may justify moraly wrong actions like forms of torture, or even terminating another life (self defence), when my right to live conflicts with the right to live of another.

Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

1. I oppose forms of torture and unsusual punishment. The only exception I see is that as a result of it a life may be saved.
2.Yes, I think waterboarding is torture
3. I totally oppose this type of torturing. Appart from beeing a form of torture, it is also too aggressive, and may therefore cause not only permanent psicologycal damage (trauma) but also death if not done "right".

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:54 #57900

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

You think it's worth it when we corrupt our behaviour? How is it you think that it's possible to have larger ideals if the smaller ones get compromised?

It's like building a house without a foundation. Sooner or later it will collapse.
V-Tog wrote:

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.

That is my view exactly
Sean Ching via Wikipedia wrote:
the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law

That is simply using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law
Never ask more of another than you are prepared to offer of yourself.

Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila, Xaii
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Associate Pastor
The following user(s) said Thank You: V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:59 #57901

Anyone that considers waterboarding not torturous should be waterboarded themselves- and I happen to like Bush (not getting into politics here, so don't start).

I am against waterboarding and torture- with the exception of withholding "treats" (soda, chai, tobacco, etc).
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Duty sword advice (Last post by Star Forge)
    • Quote: There are a few reasons why I wouldn't suggest using a bokken. First, because the applied force will be more damaging with a larger weapon (I know from experience) if you have to use it, which makes it far more likely that you would seriously injure someone with a bokken rather than a baton. In addition, I believe that the shorter baton is better for defense, as the shorter length inevitably gives you more wrist-based control over the weapon. This will allow you to parry and respond with greater efficacy than with a bokken. A smaller point, but an important one, is that it's simply easier to carry a baton than a bokken. But if you are strictly interested in the bokken, there are a few pointers I can give you. You'll be looking for something in bamboo, since it's a reasonably hard wood while still being flexible, allowing you to have less of a shock upon contact. I'd also suggest using a stick of about 3.5 feet. While not strictly a bokken, the shinai used in Kendo is a good applicant. This is a fairly well reviewed shinai. Usually I wouldn't advocate anyone going out and buying weapons, but if you're going to get a wooden sword, make sure it's a good, flexible wood like bamboo. I should have mentioned that the bokken is mainly used by the LAPD mounted police, not as part of a normal officer's duty setup. I myself wouldn't carry it all the time, only when needed. Me and the other two guys on the rapid response squad don't just walk around in the open. When we do, we are in plainclothes. We use maintenance hallways to get around, and we can therefore appear out of nowhere when a situation happens. Maybe you don't like weapons, but this is my job. I am also a bit biased, because as a practitioner of escrima and ninjutsu, I use my martial arts knowledge as a tool, not as part of a competitive sport. I would just use my tactical pen (which is just something I own and use as a pen, not part of my duty setup), but range is an issue. If I get in close and get bit by some Footlocker customer, I could get HIV or something. I have used it, though, on a deranged man in the bathroom who urinated on me when I was trying to eject him from the mall.
    • Questionnaire: Why did you choose the path? (Last post by TheDude)
    • What is Jediism to you? Belief in the Force and all that comes with it. How did you find the Jedi path and how did you find other jedi? Hm... Google! How much did you have to change or what changed when you started the path? Ex diet, clothing, relationship with animals Started meditating more and reading more often. How active are you in the Jedi Community? I post on here and try to talk with members of the community often, especially while bouncing ideas. But I haven't gone to any gatherings or anything. What does being a Jedi mean to you? Belief in the Force and all that comes with it. What are the difference practices in the Jedi path? Some people care about the fiction, some don't. Some try to emulate the fiction, some don't. How has being a Jedi improved your life as a whole? I am more at peace now. I meditate more often. And my conflict resolution has gotten better. Do you consider Jediism a religion or more of a philosophy? The two are inseparable in my opinion. Do you practice alone or with a group and why? Is it about community ? Alone and sometimes here at TOTJO. Community can help, but isn't necessary to follow the path. Do you identify with any other religion and how do they view your path? Dudeism. But Jediism allows for many things. I'm generally a bit of a mystic as well. How do you meditate? Many ways. Either zazen or being involved in things. Drum beats can help, and I do a lot of vision-based meditation. Sometimes water helps. I generally either focus on being a blank slate or focus on taking in as much as possible... or vision-based stuff. What did others think of your decisions? My decisions are my own and I don't tell others unless they ask. People generally don't ask.
    • Well done, feminism. Now men are afraid to help wo... (Last post by TheDude)
    • Quote: Quote: What I was pointing out is that feminism doesn't help men. I talk about male victims of rape and already it's the patriarchy's fault. That is what victim blaming is. Nope. Blaming patriarchy isn't blaming the individual man who was raped for being raped nor is it even blaming men in general, but rather societal bias. Yes, that societal bias is patriarchal, but that's not the same logically or linguistically as blaming the victim. Ah, but it is relying on an unfair generalization which leads many of those associated with feminism to take on extremist points of view. The "patriarchal" term does not really apply to modern Western civilization, and it seems that the want to stand against it -- albeit something which I don't think truly exists -- allows these extremists to take hateful and dangerous paths in life. It far too often creates the image of men as being destructive and terrible beings. No longer is it an issue of injustice, but an issue of injustice with the image of a man plastered onto it. Those kinds of generalizations may not strictly be blaming the victim for something, but it does create attitudes of just punishment, mockery, and indirect blame. Yes, the feminists will say that the man who is raped is a victim -- and at the same time blame him for upholding a "patriarchy" which doesn't exist except in the minds of those who seek to live in a victim culture, putting the responsibility on his shoulders albeit indirectly for what has happened to him, and to many others. You can't tell me that kind of culture doesn't exist in modern feminism; one doesn't have to look any further than social media to see that it exists.
    • Guns in America (Last post by Edan)
    • I find the idea of having armed personnel and bullet proof schools ludicrous. Education shouldn't need to be defended with weapons and armour, not in the 21st century, not in America. If you have to send your child to a school that could double as a prison, something has seriously gone wrong.
    • Jedi Charity (Last post by Slebo)
    • Any chance to organize by region a time and place to perform an act of charity? I know that as long as there is enough notice to my bosses, I could make something work. I would also like to follow up on the can food donations and making contact with a food back and ask what they are short on. I also wouldn't mind wearing a Jedi hoodie or shirt to show the people that we Jedi are here and here to help.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by JLSpinner)
    • Quote: Hey all I wish to start working out because I need to drop the weight. My problem is that getting started for me. Its just hard to motivate myself because I dont really like working out and lack transportation most days. Does anyone have advice or work out plans that work from home mostly? Does anyone have advice on getting yourself started despite not really liking the idea. Motivation is temporary. What you need is desire. To want to change. If you're interested there are some websites/apps you can do. The 20 pull-up challenge. 100 push-up challenge. These are great places to start a fitness journey from at home.
    • Justice in the Force (Last post by Corwinani)
    • Well, we are all connected in the force, even with the animals and the plants and everything else .... Of course i do not mean that eating meat or killing animals for meat is wrong, because we are part of the nature and its FOOD CHAIN , but we should have some respect and not look at the animals just as a can of meat, but always be aware of living breathing being. (some people could disagree with my opinion and there is many, but it doesnt make me wrong)
    • Doctor Who's Sonic Sunglasses - really? (Last post by RyuJin)
    • i liked eccleston's dr.. but felt it was too short of a run...he left due to the writing...i really enjoyed tenant's dr....i think he was the best of the new who's....and i'm old enough to remember the dr. of the early 80's...with K-9....and i was able to watch the repeats of the older episodes back then too...i haven't seen capaldi's dr, but have read that his "grumpy" dr is not too popular and now the show is facing cancellation....he may end up being known as the one that killed dr.who...
    • On War & Religion (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • about your piraha, who are fascinating, and i thank you for referencing them because i had never heard of the culture before "they have no words for colors or numbers; nor do they even have any memories, art or even stories from their ancestors." interesting anomalous even "they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people.[4](pp112,134–142) Everett reported one incident where the Pirahã said that “Xigagaí, one of the beings that lives above the clouds, was standing on a beach yelling at us, telling us that he would kill us if we go into the jungle.” Everett and his daughter could see nothing and yet the Pirahã insisted that Xigagaí was still on the beach. ...their culture is concerned solely with matters that fall within direct personal experience.. of the strongest Pirahã values is no coercion; you simply don't tell other people what to do.." now, you may regard the piraha as irreligious, but i do not The Reader’s Digest Great Encyclopedic Dictionary, 1966: 1. The beliefs, attitudes, emotions, behavior, etc., constituting man’s relationship with the powers and principles of the universe, especially with a deity or deities; also, any particular system of such beliefs, attitudes, etc. (note that the word "especially" does NOT mean "exclusively") Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, 1971: 7a. a cause, principle, system of tenets held with ardor, devotion, conscientiousness and faith, a value held to be of supreme importance, 7b. a quality, condition, custom, or thing inspiring zealous devotion, conscientious maintenance, and cherishing. 2. An essential part or a practical test of the spiritual life. 3. An object of conscientious devotion or scrupulous care: e.g. His work is a religion to him. The Oxford English Dictionary, 1971: [4] Devotion to some principle; a strict fidelity or faithfulness; conscientiousness; pious affection or attachment. my personal definition: OB1Shinobi, 2015: 1. what one believes is true about life, existence, the universe, and ones place within it now, you dont have to recognize this definition if you dont want to - i am OK with living in my own little bubble while the rest of the world goes on and believes whatever it believes - my bubble is shiny and its full of pretty colors, and the walls are USUALLY thick enough to keep us floating but imo this is the best/most functional definition of religion that youll ever encounter, and it is consistent with established academic articulation and anyway, academia itself makes no bones about admitting the difficulty of a solid definition for the word religion (probably because atheists refuse to allow for a definition that would include them as being religious - heaven forbid they be lumped into the same category as those superstitious and ignorant hillbillies with their bibles and their goat blood - but thats just my conjecture) whatever morality you ascribe to any animal - which i can allow that they may have morality although this is debated among researchers - this morality cannot be demonstrated to be founded on anything more than immediate self interest - if you give a dozen rhesus monkies kingdoms and armies that are capable of burning down a dozen villages you would probably find that some of them do exactly that you might even come to the conclusion that someone needs to teach these monkeys about jesus so that they stop burning down peoples villages or teach them about ahimsa, or karma, or the noble 8 fold path, or whatever other religious doctrine might work to keep them in check but the point behind this is that any morality which does not appeal to a higher power or a supreme or ultimate reality will be negotiable in relation to individual power and personal consequence that is to say, if we attain supremacy and can escape the consequence, the morality is no longer necessary but religion presents a morality which is inescapable i would not want to be a fat rhesus monkey surrounded by angry electric shock monkeys that all know i was the one who frazzled their hair, UNLESS I WAS THE KING RHESUS AND MY ARMY COULD KICK ALL THE OTHER MONKEYS ASSES at that point it wouldnt matter (heres a link for those interested in hungry monkeys and birds that beat their wives now i want to make sure that i am clear here - i understand full well that a person may be loyal to some moral or ethical code or idea without ascribing to any particular religion, and yes compassion is something a person may feel without any religious upbringing, the position that i take is that religion was the first organized and codified moral authority - religion presented a morality which was beyond personal temperment or achievement or power one that says "this is RIGHT and this is WRONG and these lines are drawn by reality itself, which no human can overcome" the king or chief was just as bound by the morality of the religion as everyone else (theoretically) going back to: jesus said "love your neighbor as the self" if your hypothetical villager were a christian and knew that jesus told him to break bread with sinners and to love his neighbor and never to cast the first stone, and he had the interpretation that i choose to use in order to answer your question, then he would be obligated not to kill me Quote: establish exactly WHY it is wrong to burn down a dozen villages If it benefits me, if it simply entertains me, and i can get away with it, and my life is just as good after burning these village as it was before, maybe even better because the villages smelled bad and they played their music too loud, why shouldnt i do it? what is WRONG about it? can you do this without appealing to an ultimate reality or authority? ----- lastly - if i seem arrogant, it is because i am :-/ in truth i assume myself to be much smarter and more capable and better informed than i ought, and i am aware of this and make conscious effort to curb it, but it still manifests and causes me trouble by turning off people whose ideas and input i enjoy - and even in the case of offending those whose input i DONT enjoy, when i see that i have done it because my mouth (or fingers) is/are faster than my brain, i always regret it i am really not here to battle, with you or anyone else, though it may not always seem the case all i say for myself on this note is that i am making conscious effort to control the way that i present myself and speak to others it doesnt always work, and for that i apologize

There are 1320 visitors, 6 guests and 31 members online (one in chat): Sirius, Br. John, Sarus, steamboat28, Jon, Jestor, ren, Adhara, Star Forge, Luthien, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, PatrickB, Metsu Desal, Edan, tzb, Jamie Stick, Calanon, SeventhSL, Chris1992, Slebo, Loudzoo, TheDude, CryojenX, Plasmawiz, Tellahane, Corsair Gorscue, Mikhael, destinilynch, Morkhen, Tymmy, Ellipses, MadHatter, Raven Crest, Uberbeam.

Follow Us