How Do Jedi View Waterboarding?

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:13 #57793

According to our temple doctrine, "Jedi Believe...In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1"

I know that waterboarding is a very controversial issue (one that my dad and I always debate), and that the United States military has used waterboarding as a "advanced method of interrogation". I personally believe it is torture, but my dad always disagrees and says that it doesn't cause pain but merely "scares" the person (because he feels like he's drowning.

Moreover, as a Jedi (in training)...

1) I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
2) I think that waterboarding is torture because it does cause people pain and forces them to answer questions.

Therefore

3) I oppose waterboarding.

What's your position on this matter? How do other Jedi view waterboarding?

1) Do you oppose any type of torture and cruel and unusual punishment?
2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)
3) (Therefore) Do you oppose or support waterboarding?

Thanks for you opinions, in advance.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:17 #57795

One quick tidbit of perspective...

Some of you may ask why in the world would my dad think waterboarding isn't torture? (It seems a bit crazy to me.)

However, here is what I found on wikipedia: specifically about the Bush Administration's use of waterboarding and their justification for using it on suspected terrorists:

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, U.S. government officials at various times said they did not believe waterboarding to be a form of torture.[12][13][14][15] To justify its use of waterboarding, the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law, including the Bybee memo, which it later withdrew.[16][17][18]"

So, my point is, even though I think that waterboarding is definitely torture (and I'm sure a lot of you also agree), there are many significant people out there that support it and deny that is is torture.

So there are many perspectives. Life is not simple.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:21 #57796

• Darren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • Deacon
  • ID: 8542
I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
To me, water-boarding is torture. Even if it doesn't cause physical pain, there is emotional and psychological pain involved.
Therefore, I oppose water-boarding.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:24 #57799

It is not a punishment... it is torture!

I openly oppose all torture.
Some forms of water boarding are extremely painful... and they not only damage the body, but the psyche. People are never the same afterwards, and people have died a very slow and terrifying death from it.

I believe that the ends never "justify" the means and that we should conduct ourselves accordingly.
I not only cherish human life, but hold a sanctity to all life.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:25 #57800

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
It would depend how you define torture, if its mental then yes waterboarding is mental torture but it is not physical. Its similar to the water torture of dripping water on someones head although that does cause more physical damage.
The issue is that many see torture as physical and not mental

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:28 #57802

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
I don't know that I would call it torture, but in my quickly formed opinion that is subject to change, I think I'm against it simply because it can be a slippery slope to other extreme forms of punishment.

Instead, ask the prisoner what his favorite foods and dessert are. Then just give the prisoner bread and water while you eat their favorite meals everyday in front of them. Do this until they crack. I'd crack on that kind of treatment in about a day.

See? You don't need "aggresive negotiations."

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:31 #57803

• V-Tog
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Harvestpaw

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:42 #57805

Well, I think we can all agree that waterboarding is something we would not like to do or to be subject of. In my opinion it is clearly a form of torture.

From the linguistical point of view:

If we look the definition of torture up, in the spanish royal language academy dictionary (Real Academia Española de la Lengua), we find the following definition:
Grave dolor físico o psicológico infligido a alguien, con métodos y utensilios diversos, con el fin de obtener de él una confesión, o como medio de castigo. which means: serious physical or psicological pain inflicted to someone with diverse methods and tools, with the goal of obtaaining a confession or as a punishment. therefore wateboading would be a form of torture.

From the moral point of view:

From this point of view another controversy arises, ¿Is it justified in some situations to inflict pain on another person to obtain information which may save a life?. I say to save a life because I believe that the right to live is the highest one there is, and therefore the only one that may justify moraly wrong actions like forms of torture, or even terminating another life (self defence), when my right to live conflicts with the right to live of another.

Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

so:
1. I oppose forms of torture and unsusual punishment. The only exception I see is that as a result of it a life may be saved.
2.Yes, I think waterboarding is torture
3. I totally oppose this type of torturing. Appart from beeing a form of torture, it is also too aggressive, and may therefore cause not only permanent psicologycal damage (trauma) but also death if not done "right".

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:54 #57900

• Akkarin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
JORIZQUI wrote:
Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

You think it's worth it when we corrupt our behaviour? How is it you think that it's possible to have larger ideals if the smaller ones get compromised?

It's like building a house without a foundation. Sooner or later it will collapse.
V-Tog wrote:

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.

That is my view exactly
Sean Ching via Wikipedia wrote:
the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law

That is simply using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:59 #57901

Anyone that considers waterboarding not torturous should be waterboarded themselves- and I happen to like Bush (not getting into politics here, so don't start).

I am against waterboarding and torture- with the exception of withholding "treats" (soda, chai, tobacco, etc).
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Cultural Appropriation (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • i wouldnt get mad at a little kid who drew a picture of a buffallo even though the buffallo looked more like a lamp shade with bunny ears on it trying to climb into a space ship and thats what most of these people are children not all - but most - are basically children in a spiritual sense, who are reaching out for something meaningful and dont know any better way to do it than what theyve got instead of bemoaning the injustice of it all and ridiculing their evil appropriating ways why dont you just focus on how to offer an alternative? dont get mad at them for doing it wrong, show them how to do it right no one wants a cheap mimicry most people who participate in these things are sincere in their desire for a better way to live and relate to the world and the ones that arent? who cares! they fall away in every field the ones who are serious will take seriously what they can find, and if starbucks shamans are all they can find then guess who theyre going to take serious?
    • speed of light (Last post by Streen)
    • An interesting fact I heard recently is that the speed of light is changing. ;) Not kidding.
    • The World (Last post by Streen)
    • Quote: Today i wonder, how humanity have come to this point? I wish you could see me shaking my head in disappointment. I also wish I could say that there is hope in the future, but as is obvious, society is crumbling globally. I know there aren't a lot of Jedi that combine their beliefs with Christianity, but for me it makes sense because it describes in detail the idea that the world will come to an end, and that we will be saved by Christ himself. I honestly don't see any other way through the mess that is our world.
    • No inner monologue (Last post by Alan)
    • Is it a monologue? Even when thinking in words (silently in our inner thoughts) are we not talking to ourselves? When we talk to ourselves using our outside voice it is a conversation that we hear. So, a dialogue. Theory: Only a being with a sense of self and language skills can have an inner dialogue. Younger children do not have this inner dialogue because they have not yet developed a sense of self, even if they do have language skills Suggested reading: Consciousness and the Acquisition of Language, Maurice Merleau-Ponty. Also of interest: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. Before the form of consciousness that we now experience developed (evolved), ancient persons thought their inner dialogue was actually someone else talking to them. The silent voice of perhaps, a god or other invisible being.
    • Politics Everywhere? (Last post by Akkarin)
    • If politics is a form of agreed social management then it seems to me that animals do have politics, though of course not nearly as complex as ours (though maybe ours isn't even as complex as we seem to think it is?). Either way having something such as an Alpha male is a "kind" of political arrangement, alphas even have to occasionally fend off competitors from the same tribe looking to supplant them. The idea that the strongest (typically male) member of that group is the leader has only recently been abandoned, to some degree, in western history.
    • Sharing a locker room with a transgender (Last post by Garrat)
    • If one is searching other bodies for details, then they themselves dont know their way. not looking is respect, respect beacuse "why U looking so hard, you tripping" tripping becasue U aint in reality.
    • Temple Of The Jedi Order: Church Of Jediism - Ital... (Last post by Malmu89)
    • Traduzione e adattamento della pagina: www.templeofthejediorder.org/ordermembership DIVENTARE UNO JEDI Diventare un membro del sito non è la stessa cosa che diventare un membro del Tempio Jedi. Un utente registrato sul sito web è considerato un "ospite" fino a quando non diventa un membro. Un membro o "Membro del Tempio" è uno Jedi legalmente riconosciuto dal Tempio dello Jedi. Gli Jedi soddisfano i seguenti criteri: • Uno Jedi crede nella Forza. La forza risiede dentro di voi, vi circonda e scorre attraverso di voi; • Uno Jedi accetta i nostri insegnamenti e la nostra Dottrina che servono come guida spirituale per lo Jedi. Si può credere anche ad altre convinzioni spirituali (religioni) oltre a essere uno Jedi; • Uno Jedi ha completato la domanda di adesione. Inoltre consigliamo vivamente di leggere attentamente le FAQ che dovrebbe rispondere ad alcune domande che potreste avere. Se hai tra i tredici (13) e diciotto (18) anni non sei ancora idoneo a essere un membro ufficiale della nostra Chiesa e della comunità. Tuttavia, siccome sei considerato un minore è necessario che leggi le FAQ - Gioventù e seguire le istruzioni in esso indicate. Per diventare un membro dell'Ordine (Membro del Tempio) è necessario completare la domanda di adesione (compilando l'apposito form). La vostra domanda sarà esaminata dal Vice Presidente degli Affari dei Membri e, se necessario, dal Consiglio del TOTJO. E' raro per il nostro ordine rifiutare una richiesta di adesione, tuttavia, il processo di approvazione a volte può richiedere un paio di settimane. Nel frattempo vi consigliamo di presentarvi e di partecipare con discussioni sul forum, dandoci l'opportunità di conoscerti meglio. Puoi iniziare la formazione anche se non abbiamo ancora processato la tua domanda. Nel frattempo che il vostro status nella barra (il disegno sotto il nome) è Guest (Ospite) sarete solo in grado di rispondere ai messaggi nel sub-forum Jedismo. C'è anche un forum aperto a tutti che potete utilizzare in cui TUTTI possono commentare e scrivere discussioni fino a quando la domanda di adesione non sarà approvata e il vostro status nella barra del rango non cambierà in Membro del Tempio.
    • Jedi Community Action Group (Last post by Vagabond)
    • From dicitonary.reference.com: Quote: noun, ( used with a singular or plural verb) 1. the science or art of political government. 2. the practice or profession of conducting political affairs. 3. political affairs: The advocated reforms have become embroiled in politics. 4. political methods or maneuvers: We could not approve of his politics in winning passage of the bill. 5. political principles or opinions: We avoided discussion of religion and politics. His politics are his own affair. 6. use of intrigue or strategy in obtaining any position of power or control, as in business, university, etc. 7. (initial capital letter, italics) a treatise (4th century b.c.) by Aristotle, dealing with the structure, organization, and administration of the state, especially the city-state as known in ancient Greece. Quote: adjective 1. of, relating to, or concerned with politics : political writers. 2. of, relating to, or connected with a political party: a political campaign. 3. exercising or seeking power in the governmental or public affairs of a state, municipality, etc.: a political machine; a political boss. 4. of, relating to, or involving the state or its government: a political offense. 5. having a definite policy or system of government: a political community. 6. of or relating to citizens: political rights. Quote: I reckon politics is about policy outcomes more then policy discussion or lobbying. The actual making of decisions and writing the wording of the policy. I think that is inherently going to create division - but I'm not suggesting that's what the CAG is about or anything, just reflecting on how I see politics. There are heaps of things the community needs action on!!!! So still reflecting on politics, the reason things require written rules is usually because people disagree and something needs to be laid out for everyone to follow - usually a compromise, but often more about strategy towards sustainable growth. I guess the only angle I'd be interested in is if it was that pure middle way approach, defining the fence so other people can decide where they sit, base diplomacy of determining the spectrum of rational thought and designing a position which takes the most inclusive yet functional mechanism as a balanced position. Though the results would often not be related to the Jedi way I'd imagine, but it could be seen as a service of the Jedi way, if that makes any sense. If it did align, then I guess the policy discussion could be taken to the next level and become policy production and subsequent lobbying. I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said 'people will either govern themselves or choose to be governed'. Laws/rules are just a methodology of doing that. Notice many semi-sentient species work just fine without laws/rules. The Jedi Way in its strictest form tends to advocate not becoming involved in national/international government except as counselors and guides. However given Rosalyn's groups focus on internal government, that certainly does apply for Jedi, except that as an independent group, it might have some difficulty with that. Quote: One thing I dislike about politics where I live is the uninformed lobbying - basically cheerleading of supported, and bullying of opposition parties. So if instead the intention is to focus on lobbying for the opinion of a group of Jedi, then its not so much my thing as I tend to think often the better outcomes are more often the less popular ones - 'gasp', I do though defer to the diplomatic mechanism Hehehe. There's good and bad in all things. Science, for example, can be used to advance our knowledge and improve quality of life, or it can be used to mutate, deform, etc. The same is true of politics-you get the people who work for mutual self-growth, and then you get those who use politics and government for there own ends.
    • Stupidity as a religion... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • "im not just the president, im also a client" another issue this will affect is bathroom choice for transgenders this is why being offended is not an apporopriate justification for social regulation because it cuts all ways and it never ends we all suffer eventually everything offends someone
    • Making of a Jedi Warrior (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • a common translation of JUSTU is technique a common translation of DO is way ju is basically translated as gentle and aiki is translated as harmony so ju jutsu would be the techniques of gentleness and ju do would be the Way of gentleness aiki jutsu are the techniues of harmony and aiki do the Way of harmony the important distinction here is not about which style to train in one may walk a JUTSU path with WAY mentality or study a DO system with a TECHNIQUE perspective the importance is in understanding the distinction between the ideas and the function that each serves in the development of the warrior archetype to be good with a rifle or with a scalpel is a soldiers skill or a surgeons skill these are the JUTSU of a soldier or a surgeon and represent types of personal excellence to be fully commited to the development of ones skills and to being of the greatest service to ones field and through ones field, society or the rest of the world these represent the Do or the Way and are matters of personal character character in and of itself represents a type of skill and will invariable lead to the development of further skills skill by itself only perpetuates itself so the foundations of a solid warrior are first and foremost issues of character each individual has a unique blend of natural talent/potential and developed skill/competence in any given area the bridge between the two is character character is a result of commitment to excellence and respect for essential human dignity in the long run, the most effective people - in or out of the military - are the ones with the greatest commitment and the finest character it is an honor to follow a person of exceptional character, whatever the occupational field and it is shameful to follow a person of low character under any circumstances so the Way of the warrior is to cultivate personal character and dignity and the Jutsu of the warrior is to cultivate personal excellence and competence it is the love of dignity which translates these into the actual WARRIOR ethos because neither skill nor character per se result in courage but when character is infused with dignity it will not back down or give in to that which assaults dignity this is the type of courage that changes the world Dr King is an example of a totally non violent interpretation of the warrior archetype what made him remarkable is that he had that blend of character and competence and love of dignity he was not at war with anyone or anything- to think he was at war with racism or "the system" is to misunderstand his was a warriors mission of empowerment the kind of empowerment that only comes from the love of dignity

There are 211 visitors, 5 guests and 32 members online (5  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Shadouness, Streen, RyuJin, Jedi_Roz, Kitsu Tails, Joe, Darren, Proteus, V-Tog, rugadd, Rosalyn J, Brenna, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Wudan, Raxicorico, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, Goken, GalUnDrux, Tarran, Tk768, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, Ramadeus, Quaesitor Veritatis, Oakenshaw, bloodx, Maverick Grey, TS of the R1.

Follow Us