How Do Jedi View Waterboarding?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:13 #57793

According to our temple doctrine, "Jedi Believe...In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1"

I know that waterboarding is a very controversial issue (one that my dad and I always debate), and that the United States military has used waterboarding as a "advanced method of interrogation". I personally believe it is torture, but my dad always disagrees and says that it doesn't cause pain but merely "scares" the person (because he feels like he's drowning.

Moreover, as a Jedi (in training)...

1) I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
2) I think that waterboarding is torture because it does cause people pain and forces them to answer questions.

Therefore

3) I oppose waterboarding.

What's your position on this matter? How do other Jedi view waterboarding?

1) Do you oppose any type of torture and cruel and unusual punishment?
2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)
3) (Therefore) Do you oppose or support waterboarding?

Thanks for you opinions, in advance.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:17 #57795

One quick tidbit of perspective...

Some of you may ask why in the world would my dad think waterboarding isn't torture? (It seems a bit crazy to me.)

However, here is what I found on wikipedia: specifically about the Bush Administration's use of waterboarding and their justification for using it on suspected terrorists:

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, U.S. government officials at various times said they did not believe waterboarding to be a form of torture.[12][13][14][15] To justify its use of waterboarding, the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law, including the Bybee memo, which it later withdrew.[16][17][18]"

So, my point is, even though I think that waterboarding is definitely torture (and I'm sure a lot of you also agree), there are many significant people out there that support it and deny that is is torture.

So there are many perspectives. Life is not simple.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:21 #57796

• Darren
  • Knight
  • Deacon
  • ID: 8542
I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
To me, water-boarding is torture. Even if it doesn't cause physical pain, there is emotional and psychological pain involved.
Therefore, I oppose water-boarding.
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin OCP
Knight of Jediism
Deacon of TotJO/Ordained Minister of the Force
Masters: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu, Wescli Wardest, and Alexandre Orion

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:24 #57799

It is not a punishment... it is torture!

I openly oppose all torture.
Some forms of water boarding are extremely painful... and they not only damage the body, but the psyche. People are never the same afterwards, and people have died a very slow and terrifying death from it.

I believe that the ends never "justify" the means and that we should conduct ourselves accordingly.
I not only cherish human life, but hold a sanctity to all life.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:25 #57800

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
It would depend how you define torture, if its mental then yes waterboarding is mental torture but it is not physical. Its similar to the water torture of dripping water on someones head although that does cause more physical damage.
The issue is that many see torture as physical and not mental

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:28 #57802

I don't know that I would call it torture, but in my quickly formed opinion that is subject to change, I think I'm against it simply because it can be a slippery slope to other extreme forms of punishment.

Instead, ask the prisoner what his favorite foods and dessert are. Then just give the prisoner bread and water while you eat their favorite meals everyday in front of them. Do this until they crack. I'd crack on that kind of treatment in about a day.

See? You don't need "aggresive negotiations."

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:31 #57803

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Harvestpaw

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:42 #57805

Well, I think we can all agree that waterboarding is something we would not like to do or to be subject of. In my opinion it is clearly a form of torture.

From the linguistical point of view:

If we look the definition of torture up, in the spanish royal language academy dictionary (Real Academia Española de la Lengua), we find the following definition:
Grave dolor físico o psicológico infligido a alguien, con métodos y utensilios diversos, con el fin de obtener de él una confesión, o como medio de castigo. which means: serious physical or psicological pain inflicted to someone with diverse methods and tools, with the goal of obtaaining a confession or as a punishment. therefore wateboading would be a form of torture.

From the moral point of view:

From this point of view another controversy arises, ¿Is it justified in some situations to inflict pain on another person to obtain information which may save a life?. I say to save a life because I believe that the right to live is the highest one there is, and therefore the only one that may justify moraly wrong actions like forms of torture, or even terminating another life (self defence), when my right to live conflicts with the right to live of another.

Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

so:
1. I oppose forms of torture and unsusual punishment. The only exception I see is that as a result of it a life may be saved.
2.Yes, I think waterboarding is torture
3. I totally oppose this type of torturing. Appart from beeing a form of torture, it is also too aggressive, and may therefore cause not only permanent psicologycal damage (trauma) but also death if not done "right".

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:54 #57900

• Akkarin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
JORIZQUI wrote:
Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

You think it's worth it when we corrupt our behaviour? How is it you think that it's possible to have larger ideals if the smaller ones get compromised?

It's like building a house without a foundation. Sooner or later it will collapse.
V-Tog wrote:

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.

That is my view exactly
Sean Ching via Wikipedia wrote:
the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law

That is simply using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:59 #57901

Anyone that considers waterboarding not torturous should be waterboarded themselves- and I happen to like Bush (not getting into politics here, so don't start).

I am against waterboarding and torture- with the exception of withholding "treats" (soda, chai, tobacco, etc).
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Drone Operators with PTSD (Last post by Revan Falton)
    • Quote: Let us also not forget when the rich wage war it is the poor who die, the other part to that is the rich win regardless of outcome... now please do not think me evil but if there is war and fights and skirmishes make no mistake some one is getting rich regardless of your views ...the tools for war are paid for in money..please dont forget that. Incorrect, it is religion agendas that are the big product of war. Every war resulted from either religion or agendas. Donald trump or Rockefeller are not out there starting wars.
    • Keeping Calm and Centered (Last post by Talariq)
    • Quote: (...and it's just fun burning things!! :whistle: ) Burning was definitely the last step in the plan for this list. I just have to figure out where to do it so I won't destroy a few city blocks. Colorado has been a little sensitive when it comes to fires lately. :pinch: Haha. And Wescli, I think I'm going to have to frame that post and keep it on my desk. Thank you very much for that. I think it's almost exactly what I've been looking for.
    • Discussion 1 - The Call to Adventure (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Ignoring the definitions above for a moment, what does the word "Adventure" mean to you? How about "Hero"? Are you a hero? Adventure for me is when you step out of the comfort zone, when you push yourself to work harder, go further, in a direction you're not necessarily used to. If I spent 6 months in the dark in my house, afraid to leave, afraid to change, I wouldn't be a hero, it's when I stood up and made the choice not to be beaten, when I opened the curtains and stepped out of my door that I would become the hero. Quote: Read the definition of 'adventure' above, and your own answer to question 1. What are some of the things you consider "adventures" in your own life? Are you on one right now? What were the "calls" which began these adventures? Much of life itself in an adventure. I am on a journey to understand myself in a way I would never previously allow. I would compartmentalise feelings and emotions, split myself into parts to prevent getting hurt, and closed the door to things I didn't immediately agree with. I've thrown open the doors and now as I'm bringing my separate parts together, the adventure is learning who I am as a whole. The call for this is very personal. I guess another adventure I'm on is less exciting, but in that starting a degree when I already have a career, I am going in a direction and I have no idea the end. A few years ago I thought I would be an accountant forever, and now I have found a chance to be something completely diffeerent. The knowledge and the not knowing really where this ends is the adventure. The call was a few things coming together, but the main one was my fiance standing in front of me saying "you could just take criminology..." Quote: Joseph Campbell wrote: The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure. What do you think the relationship between being ready to answer the call to adventure is to becoming a hero? Do you feel ready to give a "hearty yes" when adventure comes calling? It's not easy to say yes sometimes, for some adventures, like the first one I put above, the call isn't something positive. Sometimes you're kind of just pushed into it and you either break into a run and go with it or you fall on your face and give up. The call and the adventure are requirements for each other, if you fall on your face the adventure won't even begin. Quote: Jedi are ordinary people, without superpowers unlike our fictional inspiration, often without the kinds of famed achievements or renowned victories usually associated with heroes. Many of us live ordinary and fairly conventional lives. Why do you think the study of heroes and adventures is relevant to our path? Is it? I'm gonna steal Jestor's line here (sorry!) and say 'we're practising Jedi, not perfect Jedi'. To improve ourselves is sometimes to step on a harder path, to take the adventure despite difficulty either literally, emotionally or mentally. Without the study of heroes, where is the inspiration to take the adventure in the first place? Every religion has its hero or heroes, we just study many, instead of few.
    • Too Much Forgiveness: Is there such a thing? (Last post by Brenna)
    • When I was little the expression "forgive but never forget" seemed rather ominous and almost like an oxymoron. But I see it differently now. To forgive someone is to let go of the resentment, prejudice and hurt that you hold. Forgiveness is not a condoning of actions, nor is it an invitation to repeat the actions. And there comes a point where repeated offenses are little more than an abuse of trust. I believe you can forgive someone for what they have done, but still not allow them the opportunity to repeat it.
    • 'Mo'vember (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Spoiler: [attachment] Darn. Disqualified already. But seriously, anything to raise awareness, support, and money for a good cause is an awesome thing. I like the idea, though I may not personally reshape my face-fur for this particular endeavor.
    • Going on a Trip (Last post by Kaverael)
    • Quote: I just spent time in Saint Helens over the summer and we visited Seaside, Oregon. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I hope you have a great time! Travel safely! :) Glad you got out because it looks like it's starting to rumble back to life!
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call (Last post by AlexanderJ.W)
    • 1. Have you ever refused the call? Do you regret it? Can you think of a time where you refused the call and it turned out to be the right decision? Yes I have refused a call, and I still regret it every day. When I was sixteen me and my current girlfriend had been dating for just a bit over a year when we got pregnant. After much discussion and tears we made a decision to do an abortion. We based the decision on that we weren’t old enough and that we couldn’t take care and give the child a god and fair life. And I think that it fits to say that we felt incapable to be parents. Me and my girlfriend got engaged and where together for eight more years after that, and we are still very god friends and talk about it sometimes, and we both regret the decision. Hopefully this will make me a better parent when I do have kids. How could I know if a refusal is the right thing, when I don’t know where the adventure would take me or what I would learn? I think that every adventure is an opportunity to learn something, and that it is the force that sets us on the path of the adventure, so how could it really be the right decision to not undertake the adventure? I can only think of one thing that would make the refusal to be the right decision, and that is if I refuse this adventure another will be laid before me and I get the opportunity to undertake that adventure instead. 2. What are the most common reasons people "refuse" adventure in their lives, and why? I believe that the most common reason for people to refuse the call is fear of the unknown. Overall I feel that people in general is afraid of things that they don’t know enough about. And I think the reason for that is the loss of control, you can’t control what you don’t know about. 3. Try and think of two reasons in addition to the ones listed above that someone might refuse the call, ideally one negative reason, and one positive reason. Do you think they are good reasons? The refusal could be that the adventure is better suited for someone else, and that the hero as unconsciously stepped on an adventure which was meant for someone else. And that could be both good and bad because the adventure could be even better for the “new” hero and lead to an even better result than expected. On the other hand the hero who was supposed to go on the adventure maybe “needed” the adventure more than the “new” one. And the result could be disastrous regarding the purpose. The adventure could be too much for the “new” hero and fails and even becomes a villain. To be content with the life the hero already has, not to leave because the life he has now is simply to god and comfortable. The hero don’t want to change the view of home to go on an adventure that doesn’t concern him. This is rather selfish and I would say that it is a bad reason to refuse the call. 4. Think of our doctrine. Are there any reasons one might refuse the call based on something listed there? If so what, and why? This was a tough question and I look forward to read the other answers from other members. But I think that the belief in the force can cause to refuse a call, if the Jedi is uncertain if to intervene or not. If I do intervene maybe I cause myself to start an adventure and if I don’t intervene I might miss that same adventure and there for miss the lesson I was supposed to learn by it. So it is really about balance and as it says in the twentieth Maxim: “A Jedi intervenes only when a Jedi's intervention is required.”
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 17 checking in. Today was yoga, 40 minutes. My muscles are in that kind of achy state at the moment from the work I've been doing ( :) ) so it was hard, but actually it was the best one I've done so far. I attempted, and (bar a few failed attempts in which I fell on my face and laughed at myself), I managed to do Bakasana / Crow pose. For anyone that is interested, crow pose is where you lean forwards on your hands looking forward, and balance your knees on the back of your arms. It is not easy and I've failed previously, but the fact I managed it today means that I am definitely stronger than when I started, which is good.
    • Open Sermon Slots (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Twice now I've sent my sermon to someone on the day it's supposed to be published and I noticed that it's pretty much not enough turn around time so I'm wondering if anyone has a recommended amount of time prior to the day it's supposed to be published that open sermons should be submitted?
    • MJ Hannigan (Last post by tzb)
    • To knowingly allow the other gods to trick Fenrir, no less.
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...-refusal-of-the-call PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD

There are 108 visitors, 4 guests and 36 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, steamboat28, Shadouness, Firewolf, Jestor, jedi_roz, Karn, Lightstrider, Connor L., Adder, Wescli Wardest, Desolous, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Alan, Williamkaede, Arcade, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Kohadre, Silvermane, Kaverael, babyblueyes247, Venator Mortis, carlos.martinez3, Cabur Senaar, Revan Falton, ALFONSOLOT, Jeffery Williams, Oneiros, dkiefersu, Mos-An Hobel, Dessel761.

Follow Us