How Do Jedi View Waterboarding?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:13 #57793

According to our temple doctrine, "Jedi Believe...In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1"

I know that waterboarding is a very controversial issue (one that my dad and I always debate), and that the United States military has used waterboarding as a "advanced method of interrogation". I personally believe it is torture, but my dad always disagrees and says that it doesn't cause pain but merely "scares" the person (because he feels like he's drowning.

Moreover, as a Jedi (in training)...

1) I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
2) I think that waterboarding is torture because it does cause people pain and forces them to answer questions.

Therefore

3) I oppose waterboarding.

What's your position on this matter? How do other Jedi view waterboarding?

1) Do you oppose any type of torture and cruel and unusual punishment?
2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)
3) (Therefore) Do you oppose or support waterboarding?

Thanks for you opinions, in advance.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:17 #57795

One quick tidbit of perspective...

Some of you may ask why in the world would my dad think waterboarding isn't torture? (It seems a bit crazy to me.)

However, here is what I found on wikipedia: specifically about the Bush Administration's use of waterboarding and their justification for using it on suspected terrorists:

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, U.S. government officials at various times said they did not believe waterboarding to be a form of torture.[12][13][14][15] To justify its use of waterboarding, the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law, including the Bybee memo, which it later withdrew.[16][17][18]"

So, my point is, even though I think that waterboarding is definitely torture (and I'm sure a lot of you also agree), there are many significant people out there that support it and deny that is is torture.

So there are many perspectives. Life is not simple.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:21 #57796

• Darren
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 8542
I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
To me, water-boarding is torture. Even if it doesn't cause physical pain, there is emotional and psychological pain involved.
Therefore, I oppose water-boarding.
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin
Jedi Apprentice
Licensed Minister of the Force
Masters: Alexandre Orion and Wescli Wardest
Former Master: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:24 #57799

It is not a punishment... it is torture!

I openly oppose all torture.
Some forms of water boarding are extremely painful... and they not only damage the body, but the psyche. People are never the same afterwards, and people have died a very slow and terrifying death from it.

I believe that the ends never "justify" the means and that we should conduct ourselves accordingly.
I not only cherish human life, but hold a sanctity to all life.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:25 #57800

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
It would depend how you define torture, if its mental then yes waterboarding is mental torture but it is not physical. Its similar to the water torture of dripping water on someones head although that does cause more physical damage.
The issue is that many see torture as physical and not mental

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:28 #57802

I don't know that I would call it torture, but in my quickly formed opinion that is subject to change, I think I'm against it simply because it can be a slippery slope to other extreme forms of punishment.

Instead, ask the prisoner what his favorite foods and dessert are. Then just give the prisoner bread and water while you eat their favorite meals everyday in front of them. Do this until they crack. I'd crack on that kind of treatment in about a day.

See? You don't need "aggresive negotiations."

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:31 #57803

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Harvestpaw

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:42 #57805

Well, I think we can all agree that waterboarding is something we would not like to do or to be subject of. In my opinion it is clearly a form of torture.

From the linguistical point of view:

If we look the definition of torture up, in the spanish royal language academy dictionary (Real Academia Española de la Lengua), we find the following definition:
Grave dolor físico o psicológico infligido a alguien, con métodos y utensilios diversos, con el fin de obtener de él una confesión, o como medio de castigo. which means: serious physical or psicological pain inflicted to someone with diverse methods and tools, with the goal of obtaaining a confession or as a punishment. therefore wateboading would be a form of torture.

From the moral point of view:

From this point of view another controversy arises, ¿Is it justified in some situations to inflict pain on another person to obtain information which may save a life?. I say to save a life because I believe that the right to live is the highest one there is, and therefore the only one that may justify moraly wrong actions like forms of torture, or even terminating another life (self defence), when my right to live conflicts with the right to live of another.

Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

so:
1. I oppose forms of torture and unsusual punishment. The only exception I see is that as a result of it a life may be saved.
2.Yes, I think waterboarding is torture
3. I totally oppose this type of torturing. Appart from beeing a form of torture, it is also too aggressive, and may therefore cause not only permanent psicologycal damage (trauma) but also death if not done "right".

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:54 #57900

• Akkarin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
JORIZQUI wrote:
Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

You think it's worth it when we corrupt our behaviour? How is it you think that it's possible to have larger ideals if the smaller ones get compromised?

It's like building a house without a foundation. Sooner or later it will collapse.
V-Tog wrote:

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.

That is my view exactly
Sean Ching via Wikipedia wrote:
the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law

That is simply using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law
Apprentices: Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:59 #57901

Anyone that considers waterboarding not torturous should be waterboarded themselves- and I happen to like Bush (not getting into politics here, so don't start).

I am against waterboarding and torture- with the exception of withholding "treats" (soda, chai, tobacco, etc).
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

I am a Coast Guardsman,
I serve the People of the United States,
I will protect them,
I will defend them,
I will save them,
I am their shield,
For them I am Semper Paratus,
I live the Coast Guard Core Values,
I am proud to be a Coast Guardsman,
We are the United States Coast Guard!
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice? (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Quote: Quote: I have some dry loose leaf sage and lavender buds (flowers?) that I love burning together but I'm trying to be stingy until I can find a place (and the money!) to get more. That's probably one of the few reasons that I'm happy I can't use incense. It seems like it can get expensive! :) It depends on the type of incense. Where it comes from and how its created. Resins can get pricy and pure oil extracts are a little too. The sticks/oils/cones and other types of oil aren't too bad mostly because they're not a 'pure' form (either diluted or solids soaked in diluted oils). But since I like making my own stuff, I go back to the source and start with quality ingredients... I went a little crazy the last time I bought oils and spent $80 on a bunch of different kinds because I just 'had' to try them XD I haven't made anything out of them yet. Mostly I just stick them in our oil burner and enjoy XD I was chatting with a friend a few months back and he showed me some sites on how to make scented prayer/wish/spell paper. Totally want to do that but I'm short a few ingredients....and the funding....hehe. I'd love to make my own lavender extract but it requires a distillery and I REALLY don't have the money for that!! But mostly you can get the stick incense for about a buck a stick or less depending on quality. It's not too too bad but we've been down to one paycheck for four months and bills changed to over what I make so that makes buying even the little things something to think big on XD
    • Gisteron and Khaos, (and everyone else..:)..) (Last post by Khaos)
    • Sorry, threads move very, very fast here. I cannot keep up and didnt see this. Yes to the first, though it seems more rhetorical in any case. Now, on to the second, would you like the long answer? Or the short? The short would be neuro biology. The long will be very scientific, some simple, and some not, and no, I dont even understand all of it yet, so any further questioning in some instances will require your own independent research in those areas from people much more intelligent than me. I can only answer so far as I have worked through this myself. However, the limits of my ignorance does not mean that there is ignorance of the subject.
    • Why I Believe in god(s) (Last post by Khaos)
    • Quote: I even wondered if god had parents I remember thinking this very thing at about seven. It was sort of like the multiverse, multi multiverse, thing Tyson talks about. As those parents had to have had parents, etc. Then. my head exploded. :laugh:
    • Caterpillars Blowing Smoke (Last post by Llama Su)
    • I could say enlightening to say the least... Contemplative state... Took me back to the tenants... I agree energy was wasted, and feel in mutual regard the negativity was prevalent.. Lead me to focus... Focus on solutions as opposed to problems. Focus on answers as opposed to questions. Focus in hope, as opposed to doubt. Focus on love as opposed to hate. Focus on the positive as opposed to the negative Another test I feel I passed, another lesson in energy work... I have a better understanding as to where and how I want/need to express/impress the energy I provide/give and receive/take... We can only do so much. Depleting energy is not on my list. Unless it is negative energy I deplete within myself... So I choose wisely which debates/ arguments I engage myself in. How I conduct myself... Discern... Invest in the right... Maxims: #19, 20... [video] :whistle:
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • QUANTUM CHESHIRE CAT PHENOMENON OBSERVED FOR FIRST TIME Quantum mechanics is so weird, people often resort to Alice in Wonderland metaphors to explain it. Particle physicists have now gone one better, actually creating particles modeled on Lewis Carroll’s Cheshire Cat. The famous puss slowly disappeared leaving its grin behind, prompting Alice to say, "Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin, but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!" In Nature Communications this week, a team led by Tobias Denkmayr, a PhD student at the Vienna University of Technology announced something even physicists might call "curiouser and curiouser"; success in separating properties from the particles that normally possess them. In this case the particles were neutrons. The property was magnetic moment, the extent to which an object is susceptible to rotation by an external magnetic field. Although, as their name suggests, neutrons have no net electric charge, they do have a well established magnetic moments of - 0.97x10-26 JT-1, produced by an internal structure of one up and two down quarks. The negative sign is an indication of the neutrons align in the opposite direction to a magnetic field. In the classical world we are familiar with the idea that a property like magnetic moment cannot be separated from its object – it would be like taking the taste away from a chocolate bar so that the bar produced no sensation on the tongue, but a disembodied taste could be detected somewhere quite distinct. However, things work differently in the world of the very small. In the 1990s, Professor Yakir Aharonov of Tel Aviv University proposed the properties could indeed be detached from particles (his book explaining it is delightfully subtitled Quantum Theory for the Perplexed). The idea develops on Schredinger’s famous feline thought-experiment. However, instead of ending up with a live and dead cat, you have a cat without its properties, and properties without the cat. The naming after Carroll’s Cheshire moggy was inevitable. The idea of Cheshire cat particles has become a topic for an increasing number of papers in the last few years, but these have generally been about theory – just as no one actually puts Felis catus in boxes with poison vial and radioactive sources, for all the papers discussing what would happen if you did. Denkmayr and his co-authors, however, temporarily removed the magnetic moment from the neutrons using an interferometer. They used a silicon crystal to split a neutron beam and reported, “The experimental results suggest that the system behaves as if the neutrons go through one beam path, while their magnetic moment travels along the other.” The beams were then reunited, leaving no disembodied magnetic moments prowling the universe. The absence of moment from the neutrons was established by testing their spin in a magnetic field using Aharonov's concept of "weak measurement" which allows observations to take place without disturbing the system as usually occurs in quantum circumstances. The authors note, “The investigation of Schrödinger cats advanced the field of quantum information processing and communication.” They suggest the work could be useful in “a situation in which the magnetic moment of a particle overshadows another of the particle’s properties which one wants to measure very precisely. The Cheshire Cat effect might lead to a technology which allows one to separate the unwanted magnetic moment to a region where it causes no disturbance to the high-precision measurement of the other property.” Read more at www.iflscience.com/physics/%E2%80%9Cquan...#hgr01P4zi56FKKsb.99
    • Cathedrals of Utopia (Last post by Learn_To_Know)
    • This is a topic that's been on my mind for years now. I've found that any peace and calm I've found in man-made structures was exceeded by being out hiking or in the mountains. Trouble is, I'm a few hours from the cool of the mountains and it would be nice to have a beautiful structure, cathedral/temple or monument close by that I can visit and meditate in. I do like rugadds idea about a library and since I carry my Kindle with me almost everywhere I guess I should just find the shade of a tree in a park and I'll always have the temple with me. :)
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Luthien)
    • 3x12; 1 min. rest between sets 1. Crunch 2A. Barbell Split Squat 2B. Chinup 3A. Barbell Deadlift 3B. Overhead Press (from behind the neck, carefully) I'm spent. I'll do cardio tomorrow.
    • Gisteron (Last post by scott777ab)
    • I've seen that word while reading. "Equivocation." But like I said I am taking the time to actually read up on this. I'm just asking questions of you as they come to my mind is all. Thanks for responding.
    • People Killing Each Other (Last post by Karn)
    • There is a lot of stuff going on, yes there is a lot of killing happening around the globe. Just remember, media sells ratings by such "news". Take what you hear, but I always do some research and try to get more than what the media is feeding us. Just like at accident scenes, it would appear that humans love to gawk. Which increases ratings for the media. There is a lot of good going on out there, it just does not make the news as often. There is hope.
    • Loosing a Loved one (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • I've lost too many. Hang in there! If you were the one that passed on what would you want for those you left behind? I wouldn't want folks to grieve for very long, to be happy, to live life fully and to love. My thoughts are with you. Peace
    • Jedi Lightsaber (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: I would love to build my own lightsaber, I just don't even know where to start. I'm sure I could do it I just need to do some research on them. Start with a sketch of what you want, then visit the hardware store (lowe's or home depot have a large selection of parts)look for parts that closely resemble what you want, then go to work...you can also visit some sabersmith sites for ideas and browse the forums here for some of the saber pics already posted...even the internal electronics are fairly simple, just requires a bit of planning beforehand so you don't wire an internal switch externally :lol:
    • Quick Question (Last post by Jestor)
    • I've ask Akkarin, the Librarian, to use that link tzb provided, to make a text accompaniment for the audio...:)

There are 678 visitors, 8 guests and 28 members online (none are in chat): Akkarin, Octagon, Shadouness, Jestor, Joe, Brian, Learn_To_Know, Gisteron, Proteus, Luthien, Rosalyn J, scott777ab, PatrickB, Khaos, Gallileo Oortael, Arcade, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, zeronycon, wesleycook74, Edan, tzb, Zenchi, Pyrus Erath, benedictveritas, Trice Corbel, Knigma, TambelSadera, nexust, disciplet.

Follow Us