How Do Jedi View Waterboarding?

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:13 #57793

According to our temple doctrine, "Jedi Believe...In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment including the death penalty. 1"

I know that waterboarding is a very controversial issue (one that my dad and I always debate), and that the United States military has used waterboarding as a "advanced method of interrogation". I personally believe it is torture, but my dad always disagrees and says that it doesn't cause pain but merely "scares" the person (because he feels like he's drowning.

Moreover, as a Jedi (in training)...

1) I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
2) I think that waterboarding is torture because it does cause people pain and forces them to answer questions.

Therefore

3) I oppose waterboarding.

What's your position on this matter? How do other Jedi view waterboarding?

1) Do you oppose any type of torture and cruel and unusual punishment?
2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)
3) (Therefore) Do you oppose or support waterboarding?

Thanks for you opinions, in advance.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:17 #57795

One quick tidbit of perspective...

Some of you may ask why in the world would my dad think waterboarding isn't torture? (It seems a bit crazy to me.)

However, here is what I found on wikipedia: specifically about the Bush Administration's use of waterboarding and their justification for using it on suspected terrorists:

"During the presidency of George W. Bush, U.S. government officials at various times said they did not believe waterboarding to be a form of torture.[12][13][14][15] To justify its use of waterboarding, the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law, including the Bybee memo, which it later withdrew.[16][17][18]"

So, my point is, even though I think that waterboarding is definitely torture (and I'm sure a lot of you also agree), there are many significant people out there that support it and deny that is is torture.

So there are many perspectives. Life is not simple.
Sean Ching - Jedi Apprentice
Teaching Master: Senior Knight V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:21 #57796

• Darren
  • Knight
  • Deacon
  • ID: 8542
I oppose torture and cruel and unusual punishment.
To me, water-boarding is torture. Even if it doesn't cause physical pain, there is emotional and psychological pain involved.
Therefore, I oppose water-boarding.
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin OCP
Knight of Jediism
Deacon of TotJO/Ordained Minister of the Force
Masters: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu, Wescli Wardest, and Alexandre Orion

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:24 #57799

It is not a punishment... it is torture!

I openly oppose all torture.
Some forms of water boarding are extremely painful... and they not only damage the body, but the psyche. People are never the same afterwards, and people have died a very slow and terrifying death from it.

I believe that the ends never "justify" the means and that we should conduct ourselves accordingly.
I not only cherish human life, but hold a sanctity to all life.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:25 #57800

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
It would depend how you define torture, if its mental then yes waterboarding is mental torture but it is not physical. Its similar to the water torture of dripping water on someones head although that does cause more physical damage.
The issue is that many see torture as physical and not mental

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:28 #57802

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
I don't know that I would call it torture, but in my quickly formed opinion that is subject to change, I think I'm against it simply because it can be a slippery slope to other extreme forms of punishment.

Instead, ask the prisoner what his favorite foods and dessert are. Then just give the prisoner bread and water while you eat their favorite meals everyday in front of them. Do this until they crack. I'd crack on that kind of treatment in about a day.

See? You don't need "aggresive negotiations."

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:31 #57803

• V-Tog
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

2) Do you think waterboarding is torture? (Or just "an advanced form of interrogation"?)

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Harvestpaw

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 25 Apr 2012 18:42 #57805

Well, I think we can all agree that waterboarding is something we would not like to do or to be subject of. In my opinion it is clearly a form of torture.

From the linguistical point of view:

If we look the definition of torture up, in the spanish royal language academy dictionary (Real Academia Española de la Lengua), we find the following definition:
Grave dolor físico o psicológico infligido a alguien, con métodos y utensilios diversos, con el fin de obtener de él una confesión, o como medio de castigo. which means: serious physical or psicological pain inflicted to someone with diverse methods and tools, with the goal of obtaaining a confession or as a punishment. therefore wateboading would be a form of torture.

From the moral point of view:

From this point of view another controversy arises, ¿Is it justified in some situations to inflict pain on another person to obtain information which may save a life?. I say to save a life because I believe that the right to live is the highest one there is, and therefore the only one that may justify moraly wrong actions like forms of torture, or even terminating another life (self defence), when my right to live conflicts with the right to live of another.

Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

so:
1. I oppose forms of torture and unsusual punishment. The only exception I see is that as a result of it a life may be saved.
2.Yes, I think waterboarding is torture
3. I totally oppose this type of torturing. Appart from beeing a form of torture, it is also too aggressive, and may therefore cause not only permanent psicologycal damage (trauma) but also death if not done "right".

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:54 #57900

• Akkarin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
JORIZQUI wrote:
Any other situation where torture is applied for other reasons I cannot justify. For me only life is worth enough to corrupt our behaviour in such a way.

You think it's worth it when we corrupt our behaviour? How is it you think that it's possible to have larger ideals if the smaller ones get compromised?

It's like building a house without a foundation. Sooner or later it will collapse.
V-Tog wrote:

Yes. Who are we to grant ourselves the power to cause other people pain and suffering? My moral code finds the concept of torture abhorrent. And aside from that, what if the person turned out to be innocent?

Absolutely. It is supposed to simulate drowning, is it not? Imagine what it must feel like to drown - to feel as though your lungs are filling with water and you can't breathe. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Oppose. Very very strongly.

That is my view exactly
Sean Ching via Wikipedia wrote:
the Bush administration issued classified legal opinions that argued for a narrow definition of torture under U.S. law

That is simply using the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law
Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: V-Tog

Re: How Do Jedi View Waterboarding? 26 Apr 2012 15:59 #57901

Anyone that considers waterboarding not torturous should be waterboarded themselves- and I happen to like Bush (not getting into politics here, so don't start).

I am against waterboarding and torture- with the exception of withholding "treats" (soda, chai, tobacco, etc).
Alethea "Setanaoko" Thompson
Apprentice to Br. John

"Stop praying. Praying is a sense of false accomplishment, thus leading you to inaction. If you stop praying, you will be driven to take action, which in the end will prove more effective." - Nathan Thompson
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Exploring the Religious Naturalist Option (Last post by Adder)
    • II thought the link was going to be about nudity!! "Naturism, or nudism, is a cultural and political movement practicing, advocating and defending social nudity, most of which takes place on private property. " But seriously, yes it sounds familiar ;) You can probably guess I'm going to wonder if the 3 Pillars or 3 Tenets align with intepretive, spiritual and moral modalities :silly:
    • Conscription - Draft (Last post by Adder)
    • I don't think it is a good idea, but I think a nation should have a part-time component to its military to help provide supporting roles (non-combative), and this could be a good avenue to have some mandatory military service.... though I think it might be better achieved with some humanitarian service instead. It is though good as an option in case of serious dire straits, fighting off an invasion type of stuff, but if things got that bad I doubt they'd have the capacity to enforce it, rather the capacity would be to facilitate rapid mobilization, training and integration of civilians into a fighting capacity and anyone who decided to hide or run would just be left to their own devices - at least until it ended :whistle: So preferred would be perhaps an option to do a fulltime 2 year program of humanitarian training and perhaps do 2 deployments to the third world, run by the government to support the UN for example. Some (most) kids need help getting started in life and the training, wages, superannuation, and life experiences could help lead into all sorts of work opportunities.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 15 x 3 push ups 15 x 3 sit ups 15 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 10# day without coffee.
    • Thoughts of a simple man (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Wisdom of the warrior I live by choice, not by chance. I live to be motivated not manipulated. I live to be useful, not used. I live to make changes, not excuses. I live to excel, not to compete. I choose self esteem, not self pity. I choose to listen to my inner voice, Not to the random opinions of others. I choose to do things others will not do. I choose to live by ‘The Way’ I am everything, nothing and all that is in between, I am, Ki
    • Did You Know? (Last post by Proteus)
    • Welcome to the thread of interesting and mind blowing facts about our wondrous universe! Post an amazing uncommonly known fact here, whether significant or trivial... (Tip: Be sure to cite your sources) ___________________________________ To start us off: Fact: You replace every particle in your body every seven years. You are literally not the same person you were 7 years ago. science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-...lace-seven-years.htm
    • What makes a Jedi? (Last post by den385)
    • @Cyan - sure, I meant the crashing plane situation - first you put on a respirator yourself, than to the kid - that's official instruction for depressurization.
    • Etymology of the word "Jedi" (Last post by den385)
    • @steamboat28 - let us dream of the word Jedi coming from every language on this planet ) Sure, I, too, think jidaigeki is the only source - statement by Lucas is clear.
    • Military Jedi and conflict of interests, help nee... (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • So far, everyone here has talked about voluntary military service. There are many countries in the world (including my own) where draft is still enforced and every man (and sometimes woman) has to serve. I found my time in the military to be somewhat strange - Switzerland is neutral and our army is set up to defend the country, not to attack others. Everything about it felt somewhat surreal - you were ripped out of your peaceful life and thrown into a system that is built from the ground up to make killing feel "normal". over the last two decades, Switzerland has been involved in a series of foreign wars (mainly in the Balkans, we still have a presence in Kosovo), albeit as a non-fighting force. I was forced to join when I was 19 years old. I was handed a rifle and trained to kill, just like about 15'000 others that year. At that time, I considered myself a pacifist. I refused to shoot at human-shaped targets at the shooting range and was punished for that. I didn't mind the shooting itself - I still shoot guns for sports to this day, but I drew the line once they replaced the neutral aim with that containing the image of a bad guy. So again - Switzerland is neutral country and I'm grateful I was never placed in a situation where I actually needed to shoot at someone. If you look at this here, you'll see that almost half of the world still has mandatory military service: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription So while in the US and the UK, the decision of whether you're willing to kill someone for your country is made before you join up - and it's completely your personal choice - in other parts of the world you're forced to to prepare yourself for killing if you want to or not. So what would a Jedi do there? I believe that free will is the basis for being able to live the life of a Jedi. If that free will is taken from you, what is there left to do?
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Love the title lol. I have something to be very thankful for. On 10 Nov 2014 my daughter was born. Long labor short, the doctor discovered something that could/should have been a major major problem that would have resulted in her death before she was born. What I thought was a nearly painless pregnancy should have been classified as a high risk. I'm grateful all are doing well. I pray you will both be well and continue to be that way. Best thoughts for you both. You brought life into the would. That is sacred.

There are 314 visitors, 5 guests and 31 members online (none in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Angelus, Jestor, Nakis, Adder, Proteus, V-Tog, Reacher, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, Alan, Arcade, Brenna, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, SilverWolf, Jamie Stick, Cabur Senaar, SeventhSL, GalUnDrux, Exarchias, Rocda, Arkayik, Solipsis, Tk768, Anyanwu, Leora, dr.seiss.

Follow Us