So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer
Knight of Jediism

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Course Comms (Last post by tzb)
    • Discussion 8 - Woman as Temptress now available: www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/the-h...8-woman-as-temptress PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE COURSE COMMS THREAD
    • Discussion 8 - Woman as Temptress (Last post by tzb)
    • [image] We left our hero... meeting with the goddess, a powerful feminine force which gives their quest new light and hope. But not all feminine forces are positive. Will the next figure on their road be a friend or foe? After the previous topic, where the feminine force was a power the hero admired (or feared), this stage presents a fairly typical lesson about human nature: the hero begins to desire the feminine and wishes to make it his own. The hero is tempted. Interestingly however the typical mythic cycle does not reflect this as a failing on the part of the hero; rather, they posit the woman (either the Goddess of the prior stage or another feminine presence) as a temptress, guilty for alluring our protagonist from the path of their quest. Therefore the female force is presented mythically as both powerful enough to raise the woman to the position of a goddess, and insidious enough to lower her to the position of a temptress. [image] The most familiar example of this archetype is what we now refer to as the Femme Fatale. Present in much world literature (including the familiar figures of Lilith, the Sirens, Aphrodite, and Helen of Troy), Femme Fatales are seemingly wonderful figures who hide a dark secret - or perhaps reveal a darker side of the hero's nature. In modern storytelling the term Femme Fatale has become synonymous with the beautiful but conniving female leads of Film Noir stories, usually mysterious women who entrap, trick or otherwise manipulate the smitten hero. In Film Noir, Femme Fatales are often the cause of the hero's downfall. Often this is precisely because of the hero's good nature - they want to save the "damsel in distress", even to the point of committing atrocities. What they don't realise is she may not be as helpless as she appears. The narration of this video is sort of hilarious. The Hero's Journey is a transformative quest, as much about the growth of the hero as the situations they experience, or their underlying motive for acting. As such an experience of temptation is an essential "test" for the hero - a trial which reveals them as greater than their baser desires. Sometimes monomythic stories have no temptress as such, but merely place an item or idea in front of the hero which they want, badly. Temptation in general is a universal human theme - who among us hasn't been tempted by something we desire? When an adventure seems difficult or dark, who hasn't desired or been tempted to quit? The key lesson of this stage of the hero's journey is that not all enemies are dragons; they will have to battle their own flaws, their own weaknesses and their own demons. This transforming understanding of the obstacles they face is a crucial part of the hero's journey towards maturity. Sometimes the obstacle is our own selves - and other times it will look too good to be true. [image] It usually is. Quote: Generally we refuse to admit within ourselves, or within our friends, the fullness of that pushing, self-protective, malodorous, carnivorous, lecherous fever which is the very nature of the organic cell. Rather, we tend to perfume, whitewash, and reinterpret; meanwhile imagining that all the flies in the ointment, all the hairs in the soup, are the faults of some unpleasant someone else. But when it suddenly dawns on us, or is forced to our attention, that everything we think or do is necessarily tainted with the odor of the flesh, then, not uncommonly, there is experienced a moment of revulsion: life, the acts of life, the organs of life, woman in particular as the great symbol of life, become intolerable to the pure, the pure, pure soul. From The Hero with a Thousand Faces Examples Spoiler: * Gilgamesh: Siduri tries to tempt Gilgamesh away from his journey, telling him it is futile * The Odyssey: Calpso protects Odysseus but forces him to stay on her island. Circe also fits this mould somewhat * The Enlightenment of Buddha: Buddha faces continual temptation whilst beneath the bodhi tree, including "three voluptuous women" * The Crucifixion of Jesus: Mary Magdelene is present at Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. Through much of history she has been painted as a sinful influence in Jesus' life * Beowulf: Beowulf gains great praise for his deeds and Hrothgar warns him about being tempted to pride, rather than remembering the role of god in his victory * The Theft of Thor's Hammer: The appearance of Thrym's sister demanding a bridal fee is an example of a female presence nearly pulling an adventure off course * King Arthur: Guinevere's dalliance with Lancelot threatens to destroy the harmony of Arthur's kingdom * The Lord of the Rings: Galadriel considers taking the ring and using its power * Star Wars Episode IV: Han and Luke compete over Leia's affections, Luke and Leia kiss (ew) * The Karate Kid: Daniel sees Ali kissing Johnny and is hurt by it * The Lion King: Nala makes Simba act like a horny teenager * The Matrix: Cypher is tempted by Agent Smith's offer of reinsertion into the Matrix - a "new life" away from the hardships of the Nebuchadnezzar's quest * Harry Potter: Harry sees his parents in the Mirror of Erised (another interesting subversion of the convention) Questions Spoiler: * What have been some of the major temptations in your life? How did you overcome them? Did they affect the course of your adventures? * Women are specifically mentioned at this stage of the Monomyth, but not men. What does this imply? How do you feel about your answer? * "The female force is presented mythically as both powerful enough to raise the woman to the position of a goddess, and indsidious enough to lower her to the position of a temptress." Why do you think this is? * What are some of the temptations which may lead a Jedi off their chosen path? Think particularly of the reference to Femmes Fatales using the hero's good nature against them, presenting an image of helplessness whilst secretly controlling the hero. Can you think of examples of where this type of situation might befall Jedi? How do we guard against it? Can we? Next: Atonement with the Father (Available Wednesday 5th November)
    • Memorial day: a personal story (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • When I was a kid, my grandfather worked as a truck driver for a tiny local construction company. I was always mighty impressed when he parked his truck on the driveway during his lunch breaks. Sometimes he'd let me ride along in his truck when he took it back to the yard in the evening - he was my hero in those moments. Later, as I grew up, I inevtiably lost interest in his truck and his work. I always felt a strong connection with my grandfather, however, and was devastated when he died of cancer when I was about 15. A few months ago, as I was driving through a small stretch of forest on my way to work, I suddenly felt overcome by nostalgia and saddness as I, out of the blue, started reminiscing about my grandfather and his truck. The feeling would linger on. As I emerged from the forest road, I saw a large vehicle coming my way - it was my grandfather's old truck, driven by his former boss's son. I thought I'd share this with you on this Memorial Day. At that moment, just outside that stretch of forest, I was one with the Force.
    • Insight Timer app for meditation (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: Quote: Why do you all like this? For myself - Probably for all the wrong reasons....! I've typically just free-timed my meditation or used the timer on my watch or phone. However, I've not "journal-ed" my meditations. I'm curious if this will give me an impetus to track and provide a basis for journal-ing my meditation. Same reason for me - just like my fitness tracker gives me an incentive to do sports, I find using an app that keeps track of my practice to be an incentive to continue once my old habits try to re-establish themselves
    • Critical Thinking! (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • Its funny you should mention this topic because as a University faculty member, many of the students I teach are not prepared to be critical thinkers once they get to university, so the first year is sort of a boot camp of sorts and inevitably people fall through the cracks because they don't have the foundation. Current public education systems, at least in America, are places of indoctrination. Follow the rules, say the correct answer, get the reinforcement (good grades). This is an unfortunate reality and part and parcel why a world class university education still is by and large an elite endevour. Can't have the "masses" thinking critically.
    • Yoga (Last post by Dessel761)
    • I would like to start doing some yoga at home. That being said, does anyone know of any good apps or videos to help with this?
    • Tattoos and Jedi? (Last post by Learn_To_Know)
    • Quote: Quote: I would never want my wife or kids to gauge their ears! Looks nasty in my opinion, haha. But to each their own. If the kids want to do that someday, it's their ears! lol... "Gauge up" doesn't just mean those huge earring, lol.... Standard earrings are 16 or 14 gauge... Those are like the size you would pierce an ear with a starter stud... I think I'm at a 12 gauge right now... Just a little bigger.... eyeballing a 10...;) Picture a guy wearing little dainty gold hoops, and then one wearing a set a little bit thicker, lol.... Shows what I know, haha. When someone says "gauge their ears" I picture this: [attachment] [attachment] That just don't do it for me! haha.. To each their own!
    • Holy Place (Last post by Learn_To_Know)
    • This is an interesting topic to me. I fall along the "some things are holy". Being on the mountain, being in a library, being in the dark and quiet while staring at the stars, those are all holy places to me. I feel like going to the library now, haha.

There are 142 visitors, 11 guests and 22 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Jedi_Roz, ren, Nakis, roy1593, Adhara, Darren, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, elizabeth, Edan, Silvermane, tzb, babyblueyes247, Calanon, pauljsjr, Tarran, Mos-An Hobel, Logahan, Andrew Miller, Vanduul, firewalkerx, ThorlakurThor, Keasty, fredogaston, ChrisPeppas, Devcalner, Flynne.

Follow Us