So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Caterpillars Blowing Smoke (Last post by Llama Su)
    • By the opposite of fake, real... Being real... keeping it real. I see this as an author who has rejected some of the outcome of their works.... I am not surprised. Is what it is.... :whistle:
    • The science of Rainbows (Last post by Brenna)
    • Where do you think you'd need to be standing to properly observe this rainbow? :woohoo: :silly: [attachment]
    • Healthcare Consumerism (Last post by Senan)
    • I believe a big part of the problem is in applying economic ideas to what should be a humanitarian issue. It is difficult to act like a consumer and effect the supply/demand of hospitals and quality care when often we have no power over when we will need that care. If the demand for care is always there, the hospitals can pretty much run however they want. If it's the difference between living or dying, I'll take a crappy hospital over no hospital. That allows for the existence of crappy hospitals. In fact, it encourages them because the cost to run them in a crappy way is much lower than doing it right. It is the patients who end up getting the shaft. We absolutely should demand quality service, but that doesn't mean anyone will listen to our demands. The money talks.
    • What Do We Mean By "Temple"? (Last post by Senan)
    • Quote: I just wanted to say I'm finding this a really interesting thread. Thanks to all of you for sharing your perspectives I agree completely! I'm seeing the experience of TOTJO from some completely different perspectives. We all ended up here for various reasons, and it seems we all use it for our own various reasons as well. And Brenna, I like the way you broke it down as Home, School, then Church... and sometimes playground. :laugh: That's a great way to look at it.
    • Favorite Art (Last post by Edan)
    • Outside of the Dali Universe exhibition, London [image] Photography from: foxphotographer.photoshelter.com/image/I00001pGwr5NZeac
    • What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice? (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: Everyone uses soap! Well, that's debatable. haha Quote: I really want to! It's a funding thing again. Understood. I think he got everything he needed for a reasonable price, also from an online source. Quote: How does your husband enjoy it? :D Loves it. He's a very hands-on kind of person, though. He works with everything from robotics to amigurumi. :) Quote: Hush you! I have enough projects to finish hahahahaha. Whoops! ;)
    • The Gallon Challenge (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Both times I deployed we were restricted to "Combat Showers". I've heard that refered to as using baby wipes but in this instance it was about turning the shower off between wetting yourself down. But I've gotta say, besides sidewalks, long showers and baths were right at the top of my list of things I miss while deployed....and on top of my list now that I'm pregnant XD Blousing at the ankle is a new one on me though. I prefer to tuck my ABUs into my boots anyways now that it's permitted. I thought this was going to be the milk challange too hahahaha. That's one I won't try...
    • Emotional Meditation (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: Has anyone else used this or other methods to explore their emotions and would you agree it can be beneficial? This is actually how I process most intense emotion. Unlike most people, who want something happy to take their mind off the sadness or anger, I kind of dive deeper into it. It's almost as if others tread water, and I swim to the bottom to pull the plug. I learned a long time ago that is best for me, personally, so I try to do it as often as I need to stay balanced, and to remember that emotions aren't bad--it's what we do with them that makes our lives difficult.
    • Best star wars movie/scene (Last post by tzb)
    • Quote: Anakin: From my point of view the Jedi are evil! Oh man, I'm sorry to do this after saying you were getting old the other day but... for me this is one of the worst lines in the whole saga. It's a perfect example of bad writing... it embodies the opposite of the classic advice "show, don't tell". It's Ep III's equivalent of the toe-curlingly awful "No, it's because I'm so in love with you!" The other ones you mentioned are all pretty great. Ep III is seriously underrated.
    • Steamboat (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: I don't know the guy but when someone says they're nice when you get to know them I always think that what they really mean is they're an ass but you get used to them! :laugh: In this case, that is precisely what it means.
    • Elite: Dangerous (Last post by Streen)
    • That's cool, Adder. Nothing wrong with jerry rigging your controls. I actually dusted off an old track-ball mouse to use for Head Look mode while I'm flying with the joystick, as long as I don't need my hand on the throttle. That's a really good question, as to pricing. From what I've gathered, no one has ever mentioned a monthly fee. I don't think the game is technically an MMO. I hope there isn't a subscription though. Now you've got me worried Adder! :huh: LOL
    • Gisteron and Khaos, (and everyone else..:)..) (Last post by Luthien)
    • Quote: Thats nowhere in the question though. The question was whether or not I had seen something pretty. Mmm... true. I jump ahead of myself, at times, because I move past what's asked and go into other avenues of thought. So, my own participation in this, though not specifically called for, is as so: I speculate, or come to the conclusion, that I think things are pretty or beautiful because of experiences that gave me positive feelings. I find disgust in things that gave me negative feelings. That's not to say that these things couldn't swap places in future experiences, because things that I used to find ugly or obscene are now marvelous, somehow. I choose to see beauty in things based on a particular aspect that I find pleasant. It could be caused by triggers, as you mentioned, created in my earlier experiences. But, as I grow in my walk with the Force, I've been examining every thought and feeling to try and understand why I feel these things. It hasn't been easy, though. Being mindful during a time of complacency is difficult when distractions come my way. There are obviously things that I need to think more about. Thanks, Jestor... :laugh:
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • INVENTOR DEVELOPS SYNTHETIC LEAF WHICH PRODUCES OXYGEN Julian Melchiorri, a graduate of the Royal College of Art, claims to have developed a silk leaf that could create oxygen for space travel as well as make the air nicer here on Earth. The leaf was developed in conjunction with a silk lab from Tufts University The leaf is created from a matrix of protein extracted from silk and chloroplasts, the organelle that allows plants and algae to perform photosynthesis. When provided with light and water, the synthetic leaf allegedly acts just like a real leaf and produces oxygen. “It’s very light, low energy-consuming,” he explains. “It’s completely biological and my idea was to use the efficiency of nature in a man-made environment. I created some lighting out of this material, using the light to illuminate the house but at the same time to create oxygen for us.” Malchiorri isn’t content to just think of a few small fixtures within the house as the only use for this product. His dreams for Silk Leaf are out of this world. "NASA is researching different ways to produce oxygen for long-distance space journeys to let us live in space,” he continued. “This material could allow us to explore space much further than we can now." In addition to meeting the breathing demands of astronauts and the first colonists of Mars and beyond, the material could be used on the facades of buildings and inside ventilation systems in order to generate fresh oxygen. All of this does sound pretty great, but does not account for photosynthesis in its entirety. Let’s take a look at the equation: 6CO2 + 6H2O + --(Sunlight Energy)--> C6H12O6 + 6O2 The Silk Leaf accounts for the input of carbon dioxide, water, and light as well as the oxygen product, but what about all the sugar? Plants don’t perform photosynthesis purely as a public service; it is done so they can create food for themselves. There isn’t an explanation as to what happens to the carbon and hydrogen that the leaf takes in. Silk Leaf lacks the vacuoles, stems, and roots that store food in plants. The video also claims that plants don’t grow in space, which isn’t true. There have been concerns in the past that roots require gravity in order to develop properly, but experiments from the ISS have shown that plants can grow in space. However, it would take a considerable amount of soil, water, and plants to generate enough oxygen for astronauts or a, so a lightweight alternative like Silk Leaf would be beneficial in that regard. Read more at www.iflscience.com/technology/inventor-d...#TgypDOj3fbYyIgB1.99

There are 156 visitors, 4 guests and 27 members online (none are in chat): Zanthan Storm, Octagon, ren, Nakis, Adder, Wescli Wardest, Proteus, Luthien, avner, PatrickB, Gallileo Oortael, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, wesleycook74, tzb, Senan, Zenchi, jamesjohnston1741, benedictveritas, Trice Corbel, Cabur Senaar, Ratcliffe, Knigma, TambelSadera, Omyioft Quarkpirate, Lilith Lindsey.

Follow Us