So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer
Knight of Jediism

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Drone Operators with PTSD (Last post by Revan Falton)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Let us also not forget when the rich wage war it is the poor who die, the other part to that is the rich win regardless of outcome... now please do not think me evil but if there is war and fights and skirmishes make no mistake some one is getting rich regardless of your views ...the tools for war are paid for in money..please dont forget that. Incorrect, it is religion agendas that are the big product of war. Every war resulted from either religion or agendas. Donald trump or Rockefeller are not out there starting wars. The rich use religion as a way to push people apart, and pit them against each other. Carlos is correct, if you study any major war, there is always some underlying organization getting rich. You don't think the Catholic church built the Vatican, or any of it's other exuberant holdings on the backs of the tithes of the poor do you? Study the works of US Marine Major General Smedley Butler. He has a much different take on war! Do organizations benefit from wars? Yes, some do. However, again, money was not the driving power in those wars, it was merely a beneficial outcome of the war.
    • The space inside your head (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • What I derive from that is that is distinction is being made between the objective occurrence of an event (subject to debate, sure, but not entirely germane) and the sensory experience and impression of the event. Sure, light will still issue from the sun, but the experience you have of visible light is mediated by gross senses as a way to make the experience of that radiation comprehensible and useful. Consider a strawberry. Lots of sugar. But sweetness is how our taste buds and brain classify that experience to make it pleasant. Is it inherently sweet? Can an impression be an essential quality of an object? What about the light spectrum you don't see. What if you saw less light? The radiation is present, but it is not part of your experience. What about the colors you can't see. You cannot imagine them. You cannot visualize them. Yet, there radiation at those frequencies. This is not a value statement as such. It does lead one to wonder how closely ones subjective experience mirrors external events.
    • Being connected via the Force (Last post by Streen)
    • Quote: You dont need a technique to experience this. Your already a part of it intricately. You exist, here, now. No getting around that. Reach out and run your hand along various surfaces. Smell the flowers, smell all there is to smell. Laugh with friends. Look at the stars and see where you come from. Live. Well said, Khaos! Personally, I always feel the Force moreso when I'm outside and can breathe fresh air, maybe walk in the woods, or just sit and listen to the world, whether you live in the city or the country.
    • Discussion 1 - The Call to Adventure (Last post by Kaverael)
    • I am still looking to do this assignment, but unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, adventure is calling me, and I have to answer, because sometimes you have to answer the Call to Adventure, whether you want to or not. I will try to get this in over the weekend and start #2 as well!
    • about Padawan (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Quote: I suggest that waterfall braid for Knight rank and fish tail + french braid for Master rank! :side: :woohoo: LOL Well this would be problematic for me. Ive never managed to get a handle on the water fall braid, but I wear mine is a fishtail almost daily. I have the hair for any of those... lol :lol: Probably should have taken a pic when my niece french braided mine....for some reason she put a really narrow braid down the middle....that bit got knotted up pretty good too, when I undid the braid a couple days later...
    • Keeping Calm and Centered (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Lots of annoying things irritate the hell out of me....when it gets to be too much I take a deep breath in through my nose and exhale slowly out my mouth and utter the word fah kit....mentally I attach the irritations to the word say they depart as the breath departs...
    • Discussion 2 - Refusal of the Call (Last post by jedi_roz)
    • Have you ever refused the call? Do you regret it? Can you think of a time where you refused the call and it turned out to be the right decision? Refused a call? Yes, in going to a different university. I ended up choosing one closer to home rather than one that was halfway across the country. I chose to be two hours from home rather than two days because my family was not in the best health and both my brothers were still in school, I felt responsible to help them if I needed to be home fast. However in the end it worked out because I fell in love, got married and am now teaching at my first college that I graduated from. What are the most common reasons people "refuse" adventure in their lives, and why? I think people get comfortable. They are afraid to take a chance, or can't take that chance due to personal circumstances. I couldn't leave tomorrow for another job across the country because we would have to sell our house, figure out our animals, the horses etc. Try and think of two reasons in addition to the ones listed above that someone might refuse the call, ideally one negative reason, and one positive reason. Do you think they are good reasons? In our instance my husband would have to quit his job for me to move but if I got a full time job in the teaching field it would be a good thing. I do think that's a great reason, and I'm actively hunting for just that. I'm 32 years old and have no future, nothing saved, no retirement to look forward to. I need to start looking to that future. Think of our doctrine. Are there any reasons one might refuse the call based on something listed there? If so what, and why? I refer to this line: We Believe; In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including the death penalty. I would certainly refuse a call to commit horrible acts on humans (or animals even) A great example in my area right now is just recently a small 4yr old boy was beaten to death by the mothers boyfriend. I will save the list of injuries except to say the child suffered for almost a day and half before he got medical attention and by that point the damage was done and he passed. Now there is darn near a lynch mob for the guy who did this and people are downright ready to kill him. Truthfully the mother in me is aghast, however we were talking about it at work and one of my coworkers friends is the father of this little boy. She is ready to commit murder to avenge this child's death. I couldn't follow her conversation. I agree punishment is in order, and certainly drastic but what people have threatened to do or even commit to this man is just wrong. Could I work in the jail where this man is at? Could I be in the jury to condemn this man? I don't think so. I don't feel I could treat this guy right, (not that I am going to do anything to him but I don't think I could stay neutral in this scenario, I wouldn't be able to do my job) I don't want to see what people describe doing either. I just try to stay as neutral as possible. This one is hard because passion runs high and people are angry.
    • Too Much Forgiveness: Is there such a thing? (Last post by Brenna)
    • When I was little the expression "forgive but never forget" seemed rather ominous and almost like an oxymoron. But I see it differently now. To forgive someone is to let go of the resentment, prejudice and hurt that you hold. Forgiveness is not a condoning of actions, nor is it an invitation to repeat the actions. And there comes a point where repeated offenses are little more than an abuse of trust. I believe you can forgive someone for what they have done, but still not allow them the opportunity to repeat it.
    • 'Mo'vember (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Spoiler: [attachment] Darn. Disqualified already. But seriously, anything to raise awareness, support, and money for a good cause is an awesome thing. I like the idea, though I may not personally reshape my face-fur for this particular endeavor.
    • Going on a Trip (Last post by Kaverael)
    • Quote: I just spent time in Saint Helens over the summer and we visited Seaside, Oregon. It's one of my favorite places in the world. I hope you have a great time! Travel safely! :) Glad you got out because it looks like it's starting to rumble back to life!

There are 465 visitors, 6 guests and 40 members online (2  are in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jon, Shadouness, Jestor, ren, Wescli Wardest, Adhara, Darren, Desolous, Gisteron, discordor, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, E-3_4L_Teeter, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, tzb, Senan, babyblueyes247, benedictveritas, Venator Mortis, Mathew Erickson, carlos.martinez3, Calanon, Goken, Targeran Arynal, Aqua, Revan Falton, Jeffery Williams, Oneiros, WhiteRabbit7991, Mos-An Hobel, skizm100, Alf Kristian.

Follow Us