So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Creating A Society (Last post by Hitira38)
    • Quote: I know I am really new, but I just wanted to say that this could actually be a lot easier than some may think(before my self imposed break ends). There are several fund raising websites: kickstarter, indiegogo(?), gofund me, and the like. also think about where Yoda was, which may just be a training ground. Some temples take not much more than people willing to construct them out of available resources. I'm sure there are numerous places that this could happen. Trust me, I know about financial barriers, but actually building a temple is a lot more practical than one might think. It doesn't have to be fancy. On the other hand with a successful kickstarter type fundage, the right vision, and people who are willing to do the work themselves something amazing is not out of reach. Again, I know I am just a newbie, but what I've seen so far is really resonating with presently. I agree the funds aren't simply impossible, if a plan was set I believe the people of Jediism would have enough to fund it entirely. Not only could the money be raised but it would easier to fund something actually planned. Though I am no Jedi Knight, I request this be put in motion by the Jedi Council.
    • 2014 New Year's Force Realist Meditation Relay (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Updated List 31 DEC 2014 10-11AM UTC - 11-NOON UTC - NOON-1PM UTC - Chris Porter 1-2PM UTC - Jenna 2-3PM UTC - 3-4PM UTC - 4-5PM UTC - Silmerion 5-6PM UTC - Baru 6-7PM UTC - 7-8PM UTC - Jacob 8-9PM UTC - Sinistra, Shlomit 9-10PM UTC - Simen 10-11PM UTC - 11-MIDNIGHT UTC - Jamie Easting 1 JAN 2014 MIDNIGHT-1AM UTC - Rick Laws 1-2AM UTC - 2-3AM UTC - 3-4AM UTC - 4-5AM UTC - Casper 5-6AM UTC - Lori 6-7AM UTC - 7-8AM UTC - 8-9AM UTC - 9-10AM UTC -
    • THE FOLLY OF PLEASING ALL (Last post by ParCandroon)
    • Learned this lesson the hard way in high school. You can't please everyone because of a few simple reasons. First, not everyone wants and agrees with all of the same things. If one person wants you to be blue you can't also be red for someone else. Second, there are, unfortunately, people in the world who want you to please them for the wrong reasons. They just want the attention, they want someone to take advantage of, whatever the case may be. Finally, even if you could please everyone, you would have spent your entire life doing so and never have done anything you wanted or that made you happy. And saying it makes you happy to make other people happy only goes so far. People need to focus on what makes them truly happy, but also balance it out with what they can do to help other people be happy. That way, you do please everyone to the best of your ability. Everyone who is you, and everyone you can who is not you.
    • The Sword as a Weapon of the Jedi (Last post by baru)
    • As a sword instruction, in the end - its all about style. What style do you like? Are you linear or circular? Do you thrusting or slashing? Do you like light or heavy swords? Are you strong or dexterous? Your attitude, personality, body type, and style preferences will determine the correct sword style. I blend them all into my own style: I have done Kendo, Aikido, fencing, Broadsword and other styles. I suggest going to the SCA - society of Creative Anacrinonms - SCA.org _ to explore all the different styles. Also, do what you will do all the time. Level of interest is the most important criteria when trying to pick a workout or martial art. If you like it, you will do it. And I do feel that knowing how to use a sword (or any weapon) is part of being a Jedi. And Lightsabers are cool. I like training with my "fake" lightsabers. And I like training with swords as if they are lightsabers. This helps me to be more evasive and to rely on my agility verses my armor.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by rugadd)
    • I'm frustrated that it is not okay get angry because I can never tell if I'm in the right to BE angry or if anger itself is something to be avoided entirely and the frustration of getting angry even knowing that.
    • "Not all Truth is true..." (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: They're is a perfectly fine abbreviation for they are, thank you very much. Indeed, it wasn't a correction, it was a variation for fun... just representing some other nature. Actually I'm terrible at mixing them up, but I actually do not think it matters most of the time because the purpose is not to be grammatically (semantically?) correct, but instead to experience some deeper understanding within oneself - unfortunately sometimes for me I tend to be thinking of a few things at once and that piece of language gets caught in the crossfire. Context is sufficient most of the time but I gotta watch when the mistake contradicts the context around it!!!
    • Advice needed: how to shut up. (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • Quote: Some tips and tools are: 1. Pause - just pause when you can. Focus on listening. Ponder more. Reflect on what was just said. Repeat what was just said so you show the other person that you are listening. 2. "Stop and Reset" - every chance you get to practice this, do it. As soon as you feel these things coming up for you - Stop. Stop it. Say, "Stop". Say, "I need to stop right now and reset". Then pause. breath at least three times. Let the emotions settle down and your judgements to wash away. From this clear space - speak. 3. Meditate more. start and end your day. Affirm your plans for the day. Affirm how you want to be - today. Take as many breaks as you need to meditate. focus on being Calm, Cool, and Collected. Visualize yourself in challenging situations being the person that you want to be - the person that you are under all of this. Reset your mental patterns. Fill your thoughts of affirmations of how you want to be. Replace old patterns with new healthy ones. Thank you - I've been adding self-conditioning phrases and mantras to my meditation practice. I regularly do metta meditation, and I will add CCC (good one to remember) to my routine. Making a point to take time to think before saying something I'd later regret has really helped me. I'm still developing the ideal strategy to go about this without looking weird, but I have to say that just contemplating the advice people here have given me has led to my not getting into any kind of confrontational situation over the last few weeks. Although I had an enormous amount of stress at work, I somehow managed to stay calm.
    • Grey Jedi Code Anyone? (Last post by AJGBlack)
    • I personally found the code as written to be a little messy. When you look at the two main versions of the Jedi code: Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge. Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony. Death, yet the Force. and There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no chaos, there is harmony. There is no death, there is the Force. Then you look at the Sith code: Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. The Grey code presented has no rhythm to it. I've actually been pondering and working on my own version for a while. It's meant to be used as a mantra or like the rosary as well. Through Darkness I know Light, Through Light I know Darkness, Through this Understanding I gain Balance Through Balance I gain Focus Through Focus I gain Discipline Through Discipline I gain Knowledge Knowledge is Power The Force shall free me I think similarly to Cabur, in that we all have passions and urges, what makes anything dark is what we do with them. Understanding and moving past one's darkness, accepting one's self and moving past these things. For me, that is the way of a Jedi. The Jedi code, for me, is something that denies our human nature. I created the above Grey code as a way of acknowledging that nature and using it instead of suppressing it. Two quotes that embody this line of thinking, one real world and the other fiction. :) "Emotion can be the enemy. If you give in to your emotion, you lose yourself. You must be at one with your emotions because the body always follows the mind." -Bruce Lee "Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you." ―Jolee Bindo

There are 312 visitors, 9 guests and 28 members online (2  in chat): Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, baru, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Sven One, Adder, Proteus, scott777ab, Corwinani, wacwi soman, Llama Su, zeronycon, Edan, Avalonslight, Silvermane, Pyrus Erath, Curst Saden, Frost, Cabur Senaar, Ratcliffe, SeventhSL, Tarran, Solipsis, Gregory, bjlea33, Hitira38, Keran Doshe, TheForceWithin, Everett, Esper, Jihad, ParCandroon, B.W.Vaughn.

Follow Us