So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." - Lao Tzu

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Windows 10 (Last post by CryojenX)
    • I'm just waiting for my lottery number to come up for the upgrade, specifically for the reasons people have been citing when installing via ISO - I figure in the end, a little patience will end up saving me a world of headaches.
    • Logic Puzzles (Last post by Akkarin)
    • embed.theguardian.com/embed/video/scienc...uzzle-question-video (Includes solution to first puzzle) Area maze: Answers are never fractions, the only equation you need is: Area of rectangle = width x height Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image]
    • How to speak so that people want to listen (Last post by Akkarin)
    • www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_how_to...o_listen?language=en Don't: Seven deadly sins of speaking Gossip, don't talk ill of people Judging, it's hard to listen if you know you're being judged Negativity Complaining, it's viral misery Excuses Penultimate, exaggeration and lying Dogmatism, the confusion of facts with opinions Do: HAIL Honesty, stand in your own truth Authenticity, be yourself Integrity, be your word Love, wish others well Consider: Register - deeper voices are listened to more and have more weight Timbre - people prefer rich/smooth/warm voices Prosody - the metalanguage used to impart meaning, don't be monotonous, don't end sentences like they're questions Pace - don't say things too quickly, take things slower rather than faster, use silence Pitch - Try adjusting your pitch for emphasis Volume - Adjusting your volume for emphasis, don't "sod-cast" loudly imposing your sound all the time
    • Today I.... (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Today I gave money to a friend of a friend to help with bills.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • I don't feel I can openly rant about what I want to rant about. So I'm going to rant that I can't rant about it. :angry:
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by Hyrum Tigerprice)
    • Great album that, CryojenX. I listened to it a lot in 93 when I went through a bit. The last song is bliss. Was listening to Alice Cooper last night when I was in the temple before. I have a KISS cd on in the car. Will probably pick up a guitar soon and give myself some music to get the soul cool again.
    • alternatives to Facebook? (Last post by Adder)
    • I don't use it much, but check it. I was the same with Myspace. Was good to see FB support VR at Oculus though, I'd love VR to have affordable market penetration and growth. I'm not sure what it's advantages are besides an evolved email contact list, to include all that other media and connectivity at the cost of real functionality. Yea a social platform, online, lol - a bit of a contradiction in terms but I get it. I just prefer things to based around functional output rather then face connection. The idea has some merit but eventually might be absorbed into the desktop of some OS :blink:
    • Copyright (Last post by 6h057)
    • Fascinating article about the affects of the digital paradigm on how artists are paid and the changing value of art in the new paradigm. www.linkedin.com/pulse/less-money-mo-mus...biz-jason-hirschhorn
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Keladry)
    • Trying to get in shape. My goal is to work out for at least 30 minutes everyday. My workout today was 45 minutes on the stair exercise machine.
    • IP discussion area (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • Like Steam said, just relax. Write your thoughts down as best you can. Another thing, this is not a one shot deal. In the years to come you will return to this material having gained in the areas of experience and knowledge and you will see things you didn't see before.
    • Fear of Ridicule (Last post by Tarran)
    • Quote: Also, I've been writing something up for the purpose of making a video to post on my Facebook page to tell all and everyone I am a Jedi. I've compiled what I feel should be said in such a way as to make clear and very plain exactly what it is to me, how it is a practical philosophy, etc., in such a way that I'm certain none would scoff - but in fact might become even quite interested themselves. It's not out of trying to proclaim anything so much, but more out of not wanting to have to watch what I post, say, write, etc., and end up making people think I'm being a geeky otaku as opposed to someone serious about his path (which might be difficult, since for different reasons, I'm a bit of both LOL). My friends see me online, doing whatever I do... I feel I should be mindful not to misrepresent things. I've been working on the script of it for quite a few weeks now (one of the things that's kept me busy - sorry I've been away so long) - I should have it all figured out sometime soon - will let y'all know, as I'd like to see what y'all think :D I seem to have hit a snag or two, but I'm undetered, for the most part... however, for consideration, here's the prob's; #1 - The major snag is that some of my old ASL friends (deaf/signing) from New England has gotten back in touch with me and are now in my FB friends list - which is wonderful, and they are totally awesome peeps - and had mentioned to me that in my existing FB vid's, they don't know what I'm on about, and asked me if I'd be signing in any vid's I make from now - I of course said yes, and I can still hack a fairly decent conversation in ASL, but for the video I wanna create, I'm gonna need my hands free (and let's face it, beef up some signs so that I don't have to constantly finger-spell concepts such as "Jedi" and "force", etc.)... so I thought of signing, "Hey everyone, I need my hands for this, my friends - but worry not, I'll have a link to a transcript... " etc. - I'm still not 100% sure on how I feel about this option. #2 - A teeny-tiny voice inside me (as well as much larger, more tangible voices from friends), tells me I should evolve into this deed by steps... perhaps first a post that all, including deaf friends, need only read... feel things out... then go from there. #3 - I mainly want to record something that shows who we are in a very respectable light, but I also realize that I'm certainly not some "spokesperson" who could presume to speak for the order, nor would I pretend to be. I'd *like* to post something on say, YouTube, so that others here (or elsewhere, in the overall Jedi community), if they feel it would be a smooth enough ice-breaker for them to "come out" with, among their peers, as a fellow Jedi, then they'd be welcome to share it in order to aid in explaining their involvement in Jediism, and I'd be happy to be of service - but whereas I can only speak from my very personal experience, not everyone might feel the same way as I might portray... although the general gist may well do the job well enough (perhaps). So it seems that I'm apparently still on the drawing board with this, but I am yet determined. Anyways, as a FIRST evolutionary step, among which may certainly become quite a few, in the transition towards said goal, I have this main blog post on my side journal, linked here. This is how I've explained it to a few of my closest friends. All who have seen it do give me their full and complete support, with nothing less than seriousness and respect. This may in some parts, though NOT necessarily all parts (particularly the first bits about my childhood lol), represent what may become involved in the future video... or not lol

There are 1560 visitors, 6 guests and 30 members online (none in chat): Grom Fett, Shadouness, Jestor, Kitsu Tails, Connor L., Adder, LTK, Desolous, isisinabi, MoistureFarmer, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, J. K. Barger, Archon, Kamizu, Cyrith, Avalonslight, Cabur Senaar, Ratcliffe, Rocda, Krieger, Protonix, CryojenX, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, WRRPhoto, Spartanmeup, 6h057, HeirOfLight, Mikhael.

Follow Us