So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer
Knight of Jediism

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Let's Negotiate the Jedi Code! (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Sure, Akkarin... but, the code is interpretable. Meaning that simple adherence will not save somebody. It has to be "solved", like a puzzle, to fit each person's needs in life... then, once personalized and adhered to, then it might be some salvation.
    • And here we are ... an address from the Pasteur (Last post by Connor L.)
    • I am happy to listen to concerns as per my capacity as a member of the clergy. I will say, though, that we have a forum that has "moods". There is a group mentality here, don't you think? We may have contrasting ideas, but the emotions of the forum are almost Oversoulesque, to steal from Thoreau. This week has been an adolescent period for us. We are experiencing bodily changes as a group, and as such we have to step back and not overreact. The teenager going through puberty might feel like these changes are the end of the world, but they are only the natural progression of life. Very common. So, relax, take a look at where you are, and feel free to voice your concerns. It's all about perspective.
    • Further Religious Structure (Last post by Streen)
    • Quote: Hello all, I'm interested in this temple. I feel it would benefit from further structure. As such, I propose a Jedi scripture constituted by doctrine, teachings, and stories meant to illustrate both. In this scripture the Jedi theology could be further elaborated. This scripture would easily be distributed to all members at a non-profit fee. I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree. As I think some have already alluded to, making things more rigid and defined only limits everything further. Where does this desire come from, for structure and definition and institutionalization? All that accomplishes is closing our minds rather than opening them. When the Jedi community was at its height, there was little to no structure. That freedom gave birth to great things. The Force flows freely, disobeys whatever rules we place on it, expands beyond any human comprehension. To think that we can write it out, include it all in a book is insulting to the Force (if such a thing is possible). Quote: Looking for answers.... All I keep finding are more questions, lol.... Well put Jestor :) Quote: If handled with care, I feel Jediism could yield a scripture that, in beauty and scope, could rival either the Dao De Jing, Bhagavat Gita, Upanishads, or even Qur'an. Not that I consider myself THAT great a writer, I have written something along those lines in an effort to pass on and inspire ideas about the Force: The 44
    • The Lessons of Jedi Manners & Etiquette (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Quote: I found what you have written interesting. Manners are useful, although sometimes I just want to scream lol wonder if I can do that in a polite way? Or would it loose its meaning? Haha Trust me, I sooooo understand the need to scream :laugh: It happens. I have always said that conflict can make relationships stronger if both parties involved are willing to see each of their own faults after the storm and come to terms and respect of each others wishes. *bows*
    • Songs that have Jedi Teachings, etc... (Last post by Proteus)
    • Megadeth - I Thought I Knew It All Lyrics: Somewhere there's a reason Why things go like they do Somewhere there's a reason Why somethings just fall through We don't always see them For what they really are But I know there's a reason, Just can't see it from this far Maybe I don't like it, but I have no choice I know that somewhere, someone hears my voice I thought I knew it all I thought I had it made How could it end this way? I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason Why things don't go my way Somewhere there's a reason That I cannot explain Just like the change of season, Just may not be my turn But I know there's a reason, The lesson's mine to learn
    • American men, American media, and the villificatio... (Last post by ren)
    • I don't mean from the book itself but from the article. My experience of TV tells me it's rubbish, with the only guy on TV that looks normal to me being norm from "new yankee workshop". though I'm sure there are other instances of men not being mis-represented. I know of at least one show that makes fun of women ("real housewives of some town"), but i find it particularly distasteful, my wife is the one who watches this sort of rubbish (This stuff genuinely makes me feel like after 10 years free of TV I should never have hooked it up to an aerial)
    • What is TOTJO? (Last post by Oneiros)
    • Well I do believe I've made a friend :) Unintended consequences: the pitfall of nearly every action and precisely why I zeroed in on your metaphor of a very slow boil. With proper time and application of energy devoted to an action, unintended consequences can be minimized to the most manageable amount possible. I am always grateful when people bring up unintended consequences because it keeps others from just jumping on a bandwagon and riding it off a cliff. So, with caution in mind, do you see the Jedi serving in a larger capacity? If so, what does that look like to you? In an ideal situation, what practical steps do we take to get there? Finally, I very appreciate your kind words. They mean a lot to someone who is just starting his path here.
    • Personal 'Codes' (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Not the code Alexandre Orion requested... that is still in the works. More like, "What I've noticed is.." * Everything eats. * Every system is in the act of becoming something else. Extra energy can only hold one way so long. * You can pay up front or you can pay out back, but you always pay. Generally, up front is cheaper. * The universe abides life, but does not favor one over another. * There is no justice. It’s just us. * Love and kindness are indispensable. * They all talk. It is, admittedly, a very personal shorthand.
    • Pimp my Snail (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: now thats funny but thats so bad for them.... painting shells is always a bad idea lol but funny! Im hoping that they used non toxic paint. But in the article he mentions that one snail was still going 2 months later.. so maybe. But they are pretty damn cool snails!
    • Hugs (Last post by Puerh)
    • If I need 4 hugs a day to be alive I must be some kind of zombie u.u :laugh:
    • Meditation and Dissociation (Last post by Proteus)
    • Quote: One major lesson I learned from Taoism is the idea of the "middle path". Basically, when you're faced with a choice, you stick with the option that doesn't lean too far one way or the other. It's worked wonders in my life. You must mean Buddhism, from which the Middle Path comes from. :)
    • Philosophy and the Sciences class (Last post by Desolous)
    • Most definitely the cognitive science route, as that is more in line with my mental health bafkground. It will be a challenge to knock this out, but I'm sure you're up to it.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Day 38 checking 45 minute run today (40 run + 5 cooldown).. was a good run today, didn't feel tired really at all until the very end. Best track of the run was 'Playing with Fire' by Plan B. The whole album was pretty intense to be honest and I probably looked unduly serious while I was running but it helped with the focus. Definitely getting fitter.

There are 196 visitors, 9 guests and 33 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, steamboat28, Jon, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Kitsu Tails, Joe, Nakis, Connor L., Learn_To_Know, Trose , Darren, Red Lila, Proteus, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Archon, Kamizu, zeronycon, Edan, Silvermane, tzb, Kaverael, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, SeventhSL, Acheron, Tarran, Oneiros, Exarchias, Json, Fox, Jung Faol, soldmysoul4wifi, WRThore.

Follow Us