So, why are people so focused on a moral right....

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 13:09 #50980

There is a socially acceptable status quo in the world that tells people that they need to follow a code that is "acceptable to the masses". No one is the same as the person next to them, so why are people forced to follow the morals and morays of the general public, even if the majority of the public does not believe in them?

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:30 #51016

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
There's the ethic of reciprocity, the 'Golden Rule' that you do not treat others how you would not want to be treated yourself, and also to treat others how you want to be treated. That's a good starting point for considering a universal standard of morality.... but even that seems to make a bad assumption that others have comparible health, happiness and capabilities as yourself - and ignores the important point that we do not know what other people might be going through. So if morality means proper behavior, I'd be more inclined to have a more regimented approach based on maximum compassion while not creating vulnerabilities in your own self.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 14:46 #51026

What is right and what is wrong, that's the question!

I agree with the phrase "do unto others as you would have them do to you" but as Adder points out this only works when we consider the needs of each individual.

Generally I think that a person should be free to do as they wish as long as it does not harm anyone else in any way and in some way they contribute to the well-being of the society they live in if they are able.

The Force will be with you always.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 15:13 #51030

There are rules to everything. I believe they are designed to bring order and control. Regardless of whether an individual agrees with them these rules represent the moral right.

I would suppose that people focus on them because being unaware and/or non-compliant creates a huge margin for chaos.

Fawks84, what are some specific examples of those moral rights that the majority does not agree with? Maybe we can narrow the scope of this discussion a bit and identify the details.

Humbly,

Jax

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 17:08 #51037

• Proteus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 9105
I think its just part of a society's syndrome of trying to "dominate" itself like it tries to "dominate" the world around it, just part of the sherade of ideas about what "good" and "bad" is, ideas in which we've come to define with our limited perceptions, and we slowly begin to realize just how subjective the ideas of "good" and "bad" really are. What's good for me may certainly not be good for you. It's just our attempt at trying to grasp two polar ends of a reality in which we think good and bad is separate and in which we think one should win over the other. The subjectivity of good and bad, and thus, of moral ideas should come to show that this is and always will be impossible and that both sides are one in the same, interdependent, and that trying to constantly win one side over the other only strengthens the opposition, thus we serve ourselves up another plate of war and politics.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:08 by Proteus.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 20 Feb 2012 23:16 #51051

I seem to remember this conversation taking place somewhere before... strangest case of deja vu. :ohmy:

www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/Jedii...3-Good-and-Bad-Exist

Almost positive this question or one very similar comes up on a regular basis. Since we can't form an opinion to have a discussion with based on vague facts, please define some of these morals, or moral forays, that you are referring to Fawks.
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012 23:17 by Viskhard.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 02:09 #51065

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
In "The Book," we learn that there can be no morality with out immorality, for we cannot perceive one without the other. Both extremes are present in all people, and this is where one must make a choice.

The Hermetic principle of polarity states that these two extremes are the same thing differing only in degree, and rate of vibration. Therefore if you focus on increasing your own rate of vibration, you will be moral. If you focus on decreasing it, you will be immoral.

So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:25 #51072

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I've read people speaking of the "golden rule" and have been taught of a higher rule: treat others the way they desire to be treated. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about either of those rules, to be honest.
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer
Knight of Jediism

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right.... 21 Feb 2012 02:29 #51076

The fact of the matter remains, the real purpose of duality of that of balance. Everything we say we believe in as Jedi supports that. All that we do is to geared towards negating a polar opposite, the dark side. We know that we can't get rid of the dark side and we shouldn't want to. We need the dark side just as much as we need air to breathe. We do what we do to keep the dark side in check. I would agree that we should look at morality as trying to attune to a higher vibration. That would make the most sense.

Re: So, why are people so focused on a moral right 21 Feb 2012 03:01 #51083

• Macros
  • ID: 9552
The higher law is more in keeping with the jedi creed.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Cultural misappropriation (Last post by Wescli Wardest)
    • Quote: "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery." -Charles Caleb Colton If it were done in an attempt of mockery I could see how some might get offended; but seriously!?!?!?!? :huh: Of course, if any of the people with their panties in a wad knew any Native Americans they would already know that we don’t really care what the white man does so long as he does it somewhere else. :ohmy: Hahahhahahhha :P :woohoo: And that of course is just my opinion based on my limited knowledge of the subject. :P :woohoo: ;) :whistle:
    • Jedi Badges (?) (Last post by RyuJin)
    • I feel ya on the tat....just check the avatar...lol It does garner considerable attention...
    • ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) (Last post by tzb)
    • Here's my Star Wars themed vid: Another interesting point, when you donate to ALSA you can choose for the whole of your donation to go towards research: [image]
    • Volunteer Work (Last post by crystale)
    • I did post a topic on relationship with this,sorry my awkwardness :huh:
    • Volunteer Service (Last post by crystale)
    • Hello, in Brotherhood. Usually I not make new topics. I like to think that I can help,maybe with a small tip. I like to watch and preservate the nature of many things (without) ,or (in less) participation (mine) Maybe sound as contradiction that some times I like participate in some things that can create a trascendental change,this can to create my inner personal conmotion (as expression) I describe myself as a sensitive person This is my point: I want to offer some service,in relationship to help some people that (in middle of maybe a tiring,or some times violent society,some of us can to feel tired or confused... I have this behaviour of preocupation with people around many times. (But now is with brothers here) Is not about rank,degrees,or group/s. Can to be nice for me to listen, in private messages maybe,or in this thread, some personal concerns, trouble, or worry. Some times maybe technical needs ? I do not offer answers to all but I try to activate a mechanism of positive change. Also I need a one other volunteer,perhaps more preparated, or high ranked, to,some times... I express a general idea of general preocupations, as summary for him... sounds like policy? The idea also is about particular concerns (Is a trying.....(humble..... If my idea is not considered "good",or if this work actually is under treatment by other people... I offer my apologies. (I sure of course many people is helping in very organized way) This idea is maybe for other needs,maybe considered in minor urgency, or hard to express. (?) Or mediation in mid of two parts in conflict...? or other ? This is not strictly for new members. Some times we all feel in the need to drink a coffe (or tea)with someone ready to listen ...some times is just thats... "hey bro I was have a hard day today"....as example,or maybe other more complex In other way of expression I want to say: I am opened to listen. I don't sure how many people is needed for this kindly ocupation Is not my intention get a some functional or politic position Perhaps many people know /having how ...or who ...or where go. perhaps others, not. So.. this is my worry. If is not good idea, I use this topic to say I'm here. ;)
    • The Misuses of "Criticism" (Last post by Targeran Arynal)
    • NB 'The impreciseness of the paraphrase of this as 'I know that I know nothing' stems from the fact that the author is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that one cannot know anything with absolute certainty but can feel confident about certain things.' Stokes, Michael C. (1997). Apology of Socrates. Warminster: Aris & Phillips. p. 18. ISBN 0-85668-371-X.
    • Non-Conformity... (Last post by Runelunan)
    • Great point! If you look at it another way you could see it as: All is changing and therefore an illusion or not real; we are the gods, our essence is unchanging, therefore we are real. We need to heed the warnings of conformity because to do otherwise would result in our destruction, as the Universe is ever changing, we need to deal with it.
    • Live Service - Thursday 28th August - 19 UTC (Last post by RyuJin)
    • We really do need a phone friendly chat app...I get booted from chat frequently...and if I don't get booted I can't see what I'm typing...and the chat won't autoscroll so I have to keep manually scrolling which keeps changing the view.....
    • Ebola (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: Apparently there is an experimental treatment, and so far it seems to be working on the 2americans that have been treated with it...time will tell for certain though ZMapp, its not 100%, a Doctor who was infected had it but died anyway. Seems to make the odd's more favorable though. Apparently it takes months to produce!!! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMapp
    • Down's Syndrome... (Last post by Akkarin)
    • When considering having a child my motivations would be based on maximising the child's potential well-being. This comes in many different forms - being able to financially support the child, being mature enough to support the child are amongst those forms. The fact of the matter is that you ultimately do not know how your child's life will go, you will only know what it's like when it happens... which is why it is important to do your best to try and maximise the chances of their quality of life being as good as you can make it. This idea of maximising their chances gives an explanation for why, as one might expect, well-off people have decent lives, but also why less well-off people have decent lives. Money isn't everything, a close-knit family or some great friends can make up for other 'deficiencies' in your living standards (being poor etc). We cannot predict everything with a lot of accuracy, but we can try to maximise their chances. If a child were to be born with a debilitating condition then we can safely assume that, all things being equal, this is more likely to result in having a difficult life. Of course that child may end up greatly enjoying their life, but if the goal is to try and give your child the best possible start that you can then, in my opinion, adding a medical variable into the mix will likely make such a life more difficult for both the child, the parents, and the state that may have to support the child/family. If I had a child I would try my best to maximise the well-being of every factor in that child's life. The fact is that it can be difficult to maximise the well-being of factors such as medical conditions so I would likely request that any fetus likely to be born with a debilitating illness be aborted.
    • V-Tog, Assistant Pastor, Resignation, 2014 (Last post by MCSH)
    • The Clergy of the TotJO regretfully regretfully announce that Senior Knight V-Tog has resigned from her office of Assistant Pastor due to personal reasons. On behalf of our temple's members I thank you V-Tog for the service you've done while holding that office.‏ May the Force be with you.

There are 127 visitors, 8 guests and 20 members online (one is in chat): Dacs, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Shadouness, RyuJin, Jestor, ren, Joe, Adder, Wescli Wardest, Proteus, Lorian, Buvan, Llama Su, Zen1965, Archon, Kamizu, zeronycon, Edan, Zenchi, jadedbehan, Trice Corbel, SeventhSL, Targeran Arynal, Acheron.

Follow Us