ichange wrote:
Good and evil exist in nature.
They exist as one.
Thinking separates.

Interesting concept because I believe:

Good and Evil do not exist in nature...
Neither Exist,
Thinking Creates Them!

Let me add - Humans thinking creates them!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentices: Jedi_Roz
Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!
Phortis Nespin
"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker
“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 09:18 by Phortis Nespin.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 10:26 #47261

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Phortis Nespin wrote:
Let me add - Humans thinking creates them!

Do you exclude other animals because you think they cannot comprehend the suffering of others or do you think they are incapable of evil?

I wonder because I dont think its just humans... I extend a capacity for evil to all animals. I'm not sure about insects yet. My cat (and dogs I've known) can be what I consider evil. I know it's instinct is to hunt to eat, but it routinely tries to practise hunting for fun. Training is good to an extent, but it doesnt really care between the pain and suffering of its victim and so for me that selfishness is comparible to evil. Many animals cause pain and suffering for their own amusement because its a challenge and I think instinctually predators sense the need to kill prey at every opportunity to avoid periods when no prey is available. The key is I think they are smart enough to control themselves and decide not too.
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 10:29 by Adder.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:00 #47264

I know that animals have feelings; and, I am certain all intelligent life perceives at least some array of emotion. But I do not feel that all animals perceive good and evil.

These are concepts of morality are based on a dualistic structure. Free will has been accredited with the creation of concepts associated with positive and negative influences. Social acceptance governs the terms that regulate the combining of actions into the moral structure of what is good and what is evil. And what is good in one culture is sometimes not in another.

All life has free will. All life has intelligence. But a complete understanding of each creatures social structure is still foreign to us. So, I believe it is a bit presumptuous for us to associate human characteristics to things we do not fully comprehend.

Yes, there are events which to us seem to cause emotional responses in the behavior of animals; both positive and negative. And I believe the animals understand the difference between joy and sadness, love and hate. But do they see certain events, behaviors and actions as good or evil... probably not. And not because they are not capable of such a level of experience but because they are most likely not experiencing life with the same social structures as us.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:04 #47265

I have pondered the question of whether animals are good or evil and have come to the conclusion that they are not. Animals are capable of so many "emotions" that are similar to that of humans. Dolphins are a prime example of extending emotion towards humans who have had emergencies while in the ocean. And although other animals, especially dogs and cats, have what seem to be human type emotions, I believe they are more instinctual than learned.

I believe what seems like emotion is just a response to a set of circumstances that trigger a instinctual response to display "happy", "sad", "anger", or "fear". I do not believe that nature can be evil or good because they are what they are. It is the human intervention that causes the basic animal to change its response to its surroundings or environment. Besides, if we believe that the Force is not good or evil, and it is our human nature to put labels to things, than???

Believe me, I am on a shaky ledge on this issue so don't beat me up too bad on it. But if I understand what I have been reading, I side with animals are just doing what they do.
Jedi Knight

Phortis Nespin
"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker
“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:16 #47267

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
Yeah I wouldnt be so presumptious to call any particular animal 'evil' as that sort of judgement would have to be an exageration, but I do have the personal opinion many (possibly all) animals have the capacity for evil behaviours - certainly not all types of evil behaviours, but things like my example above of unnecessarily causing pain and suffering to another creature. I guess you could say I think animals have a light or dark path to choose from just like us!

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:32 #47271

I think that all the points discussed are valid. And I agree that animals do things that we consider to be good or evil. And I know that an animal senses when it has done what others perceive as bad. I have seen this every time my dog has an accident in the floor and I give her the “evil eye” :P

I was merely saying that I don't think animals perceive their own actions as good or bad, or the actions of other animals as good or bad; because, I view those as human inventions.

But hey, I could be completely wrong! I am just drawing from what I have experienced. And I would love to set down and discus philosophy with an animal or insect or plant. And I'm not being sarcastic. I would love to know just what does go on in their minds. And maybe someday we will be able to!

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:41 #47272

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
Wescli Wardest wrote:
I was merely saying that I don't think animals perceive their own actions as good or bad, or the actions of other animals as good or bad; because, I view those as human inventions.

Ahh ok, interesting. I guess I view concepts of evil as objective (if thats the right word) and linked to spirituality through physical welfare, wheras good and bad are more subjective, for me evil is at another level and any living creature would (might) have the ability to have a connection to it (the Force) by virtue of being sentient. I do feel though that animals have a harder time reaching a level of understanding of the Force because they are seemingly so much more driven by instinct then humans.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 12:08 #47275

Why is it that every time I think of good and evil, it draws me back to the Dungeons and Dragons game? Good, Evil, Neutral Good, Neutral evil, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil, etc.

Then another though occurred, good vs bad is different from GOOD vs EVIL.

Some children are bad and some are good, but an evil child gets exorcized.:P
Jedi Knight

Phortis Nespin
Luke Skywalker
Corran Horn

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 19:37 #47291

Lmao!! That's clever!
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Why Do People Believe Stupid Stuff, Even When They... (Last post by Adder)
    • Maybe they've reacted strongly to experiences where trust was broken and now they do not care so much about anything which they directly have not experienced themselves. This rejection might isolate them in such a way that they do prefer to rely on constructed worldviews which suit their circumstances but importantly for them that which does not share control outwards to others so much. Imagination is a powerful thing, but perhaps choosing to be close-minded could also be to fit into specific peer groups and simply not caring about the true nature of something - especially if it doesn't impact them in any confronting way. It feels very un-Jedi to me :ohmy: :blush:
    • 5 rights women have that men don't (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • @brenna i dig it what im refering to is the original discovery of the behavior which would likely have been before the couple even met its basically the autopilot/script behavior you mentioned in the STUPID/TRUTH thread except the benefit of the doubt is given to everybody based on the accompanying presupposition "we are all doing the best we can with the internal resources we have" from this perspective, dysfunctional and inappropriate behavior is seen to be the result of applying an old solution to a new circumstance for instance a person who feels the need to control all the time i would have to see a specific instance to be able to offer a specific response but IN GENERAL people seek to control because they have had the experience of having been made to suffer for their lack of control or more accurately somwhere along the line they were convinced that it was appropriate for them to assume control and usually these things happened with the intent of preservation - first SELF preservation but also preservation of things outside of but imortant to the self, such as the marriage im not defending abuse and i admit that you give an example of the person who is really just acting out in frusteration is more difficult to place but if we give the benefit of the doubt to this one lady who is always saying something demeaning about men and instead of saying "shes just a mean man hater" and instead say "she lashes out because its the most effective mechanism she relates to at the internal level for expressing her frustration and preserving her own sense of internal integrity" then we open the door for the possibility that she would change her behavior if she could be lead to the ability to relate to a more effectige mechanism by giving her the benefit of the doubt that she constantly demeans and insults men because she feels inadequate and insecure and/or is stuck in a script where demeaning men is the most workable tools she understands for preserving her own sense of well being then we ALL have the opportunity to facilitate change, both with each other and in ourselves, becaus this type of thinking applies equally to us all where to just say she hates men and shes a snow queen leaves the situation stuck in the old script and therefore makes change seem impossible lastly im no psychogist ive watched a few youtube videos and downloaded a couple PDF's on NLP and read a few books here and there but in case im presenting myself as if i think im an expert on behavior change in general i want to correct that im excited to hear from others who are also genuinely interested in greater understanding of what makes us tick as people and i at least tell myself im open to new views
    • Is questioning one's faith inevitable? (Last post by Gisteron)
    • The point is that no amount of faith actually helps to protect you from being mistaken. If anything, it helps you to insist that you aren't when really you are. At the very least it helps you over that tiny gap still needed to absolute certainty which in my humble opinion is undesirable both in the sense that it is unnecessary and in the sense that I'd actually positively rather not have it. It is not difficult to be wrong and change your mind once you find out if you are not bound to your sources by an unreasonable conviction. No part of the rationalist's ego suffers from their argument being defeated. There is no cost in questioning beliefs but it reportedly is difficult to question one's faith. So if you have no faith, it cannot be shaken, whereas what can be shaken pains you not even once it breaks.
    • Should 'justice' treat children like adults? (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: Quote: We have created a society that is keeping children as children for longer Honestly, I feel like the opposite is the true. We force adult expectations on children from younger and younger an age... blame media, society, schools, whatever. ~ A 12 year old asked my missus if she wanted a shag when she was obviously pregnant (29 y.o). Not adult-like, not child-like. Typical robbed childhood. Children and young adults nowadays are morons who it would seem only know what the corporations and lobbies want them to know. I was 12 and definitely up to no good in the neighborhood, not once did i even think of saying something like this... Not to mention it would have earned me an instant punch in the face, fully endorsed by mom and dad too. Now it's all about being "cool" or "hip" or whatever they call it now, and i really wonder who decides what that is going to be.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by rugadd)
    • People who say "meh" when they see someone do something that took a lot of practice and hard work because they saw a professional do it better in a video. Even worse, when they have done nothing even close to it, nor could they if they tried (without the hard work that is). That is being dismissive and it is hurtful and insulting.
    • Moral Fact (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: But what exactly are these moral truths? And why are those moral truths true instead of another set of moral truths? i know this was not directed at me i would like to respond i dont expect my answer to be equally true for everyone else even though i know that it actually is equally true for all of us :-) in a moment of danger or challenge the body and the mind can kick into a kind of overdrive which empowers us to survive and to overcome within this context fear is a healthy and useful feature of our psycho-physiology in fact it is a powerful stimlant with extraordinary potential for our betterment however without attempting to get in to how or why i want to submit that people often allow unhealthy fear to be the foundation for a large percentage of their/our decisions for clarity i consider fear to be unhealthy if it is centered around the conviction that one is inadequate for facing the circumstances of ones life its foolish to think that i can count on my ability to defeat a grizzly bear in a boxing match or a tiger shark in a swimming competition but it is an unhealthy fear to refuse the forests and the oceans because i know that grizzly bears and tiger sharks exist a healthy fear is to acknowledge the risks of whatever activity i aspire to and take responsibility for my own safety by understanding them and being prepared to face them and determined that i will overcome them if i am required to. this is the kind of fear that that propels us into excellence because it encourages us to follow our dreams and desires while demanding that we do so with open eyes and alert minds in juxtapositoon to this the kind of fear that comes from the conviction that we are somehow lacking this is the fear which keeps us timid about life and makes us insecure in each others presence which is the source of much violence and injury to one another as it results in a constant sense of having to be more powerful or more in charge or feeling that one is being insulted or attacked when there is no attack or insult intended this is the source imo of unhealthy self fixation to have a sense of ones inherent worth and power as a living consciousness is natural and healthy and the desire to sustain and to expand and to grow and to achieve things and to do and to experience things is a wholesome and healthy characteristic of life of all life imo from human beings to armadillos to redwoods each in its own context but the fear of personal insufficiency leads to people warping and distorting the innate drives to acheive and to actualize into a self fixated impulse to win and to dominate over others and to be dependent on things exterior to the self for well being or acknowledgement or validation this fear invariably results in distorted relationships with the self and from there with all others which are intrinsically less meaningfull, less nourishing, and less reliable than they would be if the fear of insufficiency were not so prevalent this is a moral truth which each of us can attest to in some degree by simply looking at our own lives and while i am not familiar enough with the fiction of star wars to speak in a cannonically accurate manner, i am familiar enough with life to say that this is the essencial distinction between Jedi and the "dark side" in real life there is no dark side of the force there is only the force but there are and will always be people who have yet to reach that place internally where they/we recognise the difference between self actualization and self fixated ego power games its as simple and as challenging as being able to stay grounded in self confidence and love for both the self and the other and it is the loss of this confidence and love which is at the heart of every single act which can be objectively agreed upon to be morally wrong
    • Questions (Last post by Adder)
    • Well for me its like stirring soup, you work the handle but all the action goes on underneath the surface. So how a day is managed represents the nature of ones path but since we try to be almost the opposite of cloistered, its going to be dictated by external conditions mostly I'd guess. In my quiet moments I can knuckle down and focus on specific topics which help me grow and perhaps develop some new ideas or learning. What do you do for your meditations? How long? It varies, mostly forms of yoga to connect to perception of a higher spiritual energy. I originally used periodic calm abiding and compassion meditations (they were always about an hour long) to generate a form of continuous meditation, which I punctuate with emptiness meditations and with deity and structural yogas, much like mandalas. During your week, how often do you do things that pertain to your religion? I'm a Forum Moderator so there is that... but otherwise for the physical side, just exercising of the body side of things. Internally its pretty much ongoing as much as possible. Are there any celebrations unique to your religion? If so, what is it and what do you do for it? How often? I find astronomical things useful to connect outside of my own routine perception, such as planetary alignments, significant transition points (solstices, equinoxes) and phenomena (eclipses)... not in an astrological sense though (which I have no opinion on). Seeing the Moon is always a celebration for me. Dreaming is also important so I try to view them as internal celebrations. The other more conventional celebrations I tend respect and participate in as well, but they seem more cultural and so less about my Jedi path and more about those who it means a lot too. Does one gender have a responsibility that the other does not? No. For me, Jediism transcends concepts like gender, sex, race, or even species!!! I tend to view all life as equal in spirit, but that has some practical problems when it comes to other species of life... while its obvious not all things are equal in capabilities - I don't think we should define someones responsibilities based just on their capabilities, as Jediism is much more about growth and creativity wherever that might be found. What do you do to become higher ranked? If your active within the various systems here then the systems can recognize this and provide you opportunities to extend that activity to better help others. I'm not sure rank offers any benefit though to self but it can help other know a little about the person, as its just an indication of progress, commitment and often duties here. Do you have a right of passage? The Temple has levels of commitment. When I joined it was an Oath to 'be' a 'Jedi' as loosely outlined by the doctrine but open to the individual variations, and later a Vow to be a representation of the doctrine and Temple, as a Temple 'Knight'. But saying that, all this is just my own path and in my opinion of course!!! Good luck with your assignment.
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Cyan Sarden)
    • An einem offenen Paradiesgärtchen geht der Mensch gleichgültig vorbei und wird erst traurig, wenn es verschlossen ist. (Gottfried Keller) ("Man walks by the open paradise garden and doesn't care. Only then does he get sad when said garden is closed.)

There are 192 visitors, 6 guests and 23 members online (one in chat): Akkarin, Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, Jestor, ren, Joe, Nakis, Adder, Proteus, Reacher, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Elemental Harmony, Brenna, Llama Su, Vesha, Archon, Kamizu, Silvermane, Ratcliffe, focone oceanlast, GalUnDrux, Rocda, OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo, Atticus509, PJT, Thefireguru.

Follow Us