ichange wrote:
Good and evil exist in nature.
They exist as one.
Thinking separates.

Interesting concept because I believe:

Good and Evil do not exist in nature...
Neither Exist,
Thinking Creates Them!

Let me add - Humans thinking creates them!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentice:Mathew Erickson

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 09:18 by Phortis Nespin.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 10:26 #47261

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Phortis Nespin wrote:
Let me add - Humans thinking creates them!

Do you exclude other animals because you think they cannot comprehend the suffering of others or do you think they are incapable of evil?

I wonder because I dont think its just humans... I extend a capacity for evil to all animals. I'm not sure about insects yet. My cat (and dogs I've known) can be what I consider evil. I know it's instinct is to hunt to eat, but it routinely tries to practise hunting for fun. Training is good to an extent, but it doesnt really care between the pain and suffering of its victim and so for me that selfishness is comparible to evil. Many animals cause pain and suffering for their own amusement because its a challenge and I think instinctually predators sense the need to kill prey at every opportunity to avoid periods when no prey is available. The key is I think they are smart enough to control themselves and decide not too.
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 10:29 by Adder.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:00 #47264

I know that animals have feelings; and, I am certain all intelligent life perceives at least some array of emotion. But I do not feel that all animals perceive good and evil.

These are concepts of morality are based on a dualistic structure. Free will has been accredited with the creation of concepts associated with positive and negative influences. Social acceptance governs the terms that regulate the combining of actions into the moral structure of what is good and what is evil. And what is good in one culture is sometimes not in another.

All life has free will. All life has intelligence. But a complete understanding of each creatures social structure is still foreign to us. So, I believe it is a bit presumptuous for us to associate human characteristics to things we do not fully comprehend.

Yes, there are events which to us seem to cause emotional responses in the behavior of animals; both positive and negative. And I believe the animals understand the difference between joy and sadness, love and hate. But do they see certain events, behaviors and actions as good or evil... probably not. And not because they are not capable of such a level of experience but because they are most likely not experiencing life with the same social structures as us.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:04 #47265

I have pondered the question of whether animals are good or evil and have come to the conclusion that they are not. Animals are capable of so many "emotions" that are similar to that of humans. Dolphins are a prime example of extending emotion towards humans who have had emergencies while in the ocean. And although other animals, especially dogs and cats, have what seem to be human type emotions, I believe they are more instinctual than learned.

I believe what seems like emotion is just a response to a set of circumstances that trigger a instinctual response to display "happy", "sad", "anger", or "fear". I do not believe that nature can be evil or good because they are what they are. It is the human intervention that causes the basic animal to change its response to its surroundings or environment. Besides, if we believe that the Force is not good or evil, and it is our human nature to put labels to things, than???

Believe me, I am on a shaky ledge on this issue so don't beat me up too bad on it. But if I understand what I have been reading, I side with animals are just doing what they do.
Jedi Knight

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:16 #47267

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
Yeah I wouldnt be so presumptious to call any particular animal 'evil' as that sort of judgement would have to be an exageration, but I do have the personal opinion many (possibly all) animals have the capacity for evil behaviours - certainly not all types of evil behaviours, but things like my example above of unnecessarily causing pain and suffering to another creature. I guess you could say I think animals have a light or dark path to choose from just like us!

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:32 #47271

I think that all the points discussed are valid. And I agree that animals do things that we consider to be good or evil. And I know that an animal senses when it has done what others perceive as bad. I have seen this every time my dog has an accident in the floor and I give her the “evil eye” :P

I was merely saying that I don't think animals perceive their own actions as good or bad, or the actions of other animals as good or bad; because, I view those as human inventions.

But hey, I could be completely wrong! I am just drawing from what I have experienced. And I would love to set down and discus philosophy with an animal or insect or plant. And I'm not being sarcastic. I would love to know just what does go on in their minds. And maybe someday we will be able to!

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:41 #47272

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
Wescli Wardest wrote:
I was merely saying that I don't think animals perceive their own actions as good or bad, or the actions of other animals as good or bad; because, I view those as human inventions.

Ahh ok, interesting. I guess I view concepts of evil as objective (if thats the right word) and linked to spirituality through physical welfare, wheras good and bad are more subjective, for me evil is at another level and any living creature would (might) have the ability to have a connection to it (the Force) by virtue of being sentient. I do feel though that animals have a harder time reaching a level of understanding of the Force because they are seemingly so much more driven by instinct then humans.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 12:08 #47275

Why is it that every time I think of good and evil, it draws me back to the Dungeons and Dragons game? Good, Evil, Neutral Good, Neutral evil, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil, etc.

Then another though occurred, good vs bad is different from GOOD vs EVIL.

Some children are bad and some are good, but an evil child gets exorcized.:P
Jedi Knight

Luke Skywalker

Corran Horn

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 19:37 #47291

Lmao!! That's clever!
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • HAPPINESS (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings each On the other side is the Dark but we should not ignore it . I took this from a friend of mine. :) Those who shun their dark side will learn very little. Polarity is a crucial learning tool, it is there for our education. Without examining our dark side, we live in a foolish state of bliss not based in real understanding, but imagined states of enlightenment.
    • Where Do You a Draw the Line? (Last post by Khaos)
    • At a dinner party one night, a drunk Churchill asked an attractive woman whether she would sleep with him for a million pounds. “Maybe,” the woman said coyly. “Would you sleep with me for one pound?” Churchill then asked. “Of course not, what kind of woman do you think I am?” the woman responded indignantly. “Madam, we’ve already established what kind of woman you are,” said Churchill, “now we’re just negotiating the price.” I wouldn't draw any lines. Decisions come after negotiations, since it is established I have the ability to refuse, I also imagine I have the ability to haggle. I imagine a deity would he able to make it worth my while. Do not tempt the Lord. Fine. I however have no such reservations.
    • Sea Lions (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Source: Me Complaint: you Sea Lions disturb my sleep when it's my night for watch...and you will undoubtedly do so again tonight... Lol- I've got an entire pier of them just outside the cutter right now... I hate sea lions... Lol
    • A Serious Question for Those Seeking "Unifica... (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Speaking to Brenna's last point, that may be all the unity we need. The community is not immune to infighting, feuds, or the like. I'd like to think, however, that we could put our nonsense aside and stick up for each other in a pinch.
    • Where is the line between freedom of speech... (Last post by Alan)
    • The working definition of a religion in my World Religions college course is from Invitations to World Religions, Brodd, Little, et al, Oxford University Press. "Religion is a cultural system integrating teachings, practices, modes of experience, institutions, and artistic expression that relates people to what they perceive to be transcendent" (page 9). There are very many other definitions of religion, and the first chapter of the textbook covers a variety of them. In general, each definition is an attempt to describe a system of symbols that inform practices and motivations. The consistent question from which the most controversy arises is what one means by transcendent? For many of us here, members of this Order, in this 21st century digital temple (i.e. website) the Force is transcendent. And therein we begin our discussion. We share our thoughts and experiences regarding the meaning and subsequent practices regarding this transcendent symbol. To assert that what we do here does not exhibit the characteristics of a religion is erroneous. That this Temple chooses to restrict and regulate some kinds of posts is not a denial of free speech nor an infringement on the principle of free speech. Free speech still exists even if this Order encourages and enforces decorum.
    • How to stay dedicated to working out. (Last post by Brenna)
    • There are a few common reasons why motivations flag. Right goal - is the goal challenging enough so youre not bored? Too big that you're putting it off? Right motivation - What is the real reason you want to work out? What are you really trying to achieve? When you go beyond the obvious and find what it is you really want from the end result, the motivation becomes a lot easier. Right action plan - is your plan realistic? Does it have a time frame? does it fit with the rest of your life? Have you put in place things that will support you? Just some thoughts.
    • Non-attachment (Last post by Doomeniek)
    • Quote: Below is the contents of a document I ran into years ago. I lost the only hard copy I had, but recently recovered one. Very pleased! The document is part of the sober support literature. AA and the sort. In my professional life, I have worked with a number of addicts, so being conversant in the literature is helpful. Non-attachment is a challenging topic, I think. I regard it as useful food for thought, though some I prefer to others. I have included the list in its entirety, save for grammatical corrections. I do not regard the list as necessarily definitive, but certainly a clarifying piece. I hope you find it useful. I invite useful comment. Letting Go * To let go doesn't mean to stop caring. It means I can’t do it for someone else. * To let go is not to cut myself off. It’s the realization that I can’t control another. * To let go is not to enable, but to allow learning from natural consequences. * To let go is to admit powerlessness, which means the outcome is not in my hands. * To let go is not to try to change or blame another. I can only change myself. * To let go is not to care for, but to care about. * To let go is not to fix, but to be supportive. * To let go is not to judge, but to allow another to be a human being. * To let go is not to be in the middle, arranging all the outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own outcomes. * To let go is not to be protective. It is to permit another to face reality. * To let go is not to deny, but to accept. * To let go is not to nag, scold, or argue, but to search out my own shortcomings and correct them. * To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires, but to take each day as it comes, and to cherish the moment. * To let go is not to criticize or regulate anyone, but to try to become whatever I dream I can be. * To let go is not to regret the past, but to grow and live for the future. * To let go is to fear less and love more. Thank you for this
    • Being connected via the Force (Last post by Adder)
    • What they said ^^ :lol: The relaxation from mindfulness training is only one part of the possible results - you could also eventually develop a higher sensitivity/awareness of the senses as the training turns off distractions and narrows your awareness into a more conscious 'now'. I think it's why Buddhists focus so much on compassion, as compassion is a directed manifestation of excess sensitivity to ones environment. So I'd go as far as to say the more one meditates etc, the more they can achieve that connection your asking about. Beyond that, once you've got a good connection accessible to you, I use visualizations of logical structures and relationships, and an understanding of science to develop a depth of awareness beyond my senses - so in my mind I can overlay extra information on what I otherwise perceive. Start simple and slowly build up complexity remembering the basis of your path to keep from falling off the path and getting distracted. For specific techniques, part of the journey is finding what works best for you at any moment, and what I do ends up being determined by circumstance... though I am trying to formulate a concrete path to use and reflect upon - but it changes every day!!!!
    • Real Jedi vs Fictional Jedi (Last post by rugadd)
    • Also, I love finding reasons to quote the opening of "Soul Eater": "A sound spirit dwells within a sound mind and sound body."
    • Better than Netflix (Last post by Christiandorian)
    • very true . Focus on what makes you happy. seeing good things.. watching happy people , watching happy things . bring that into ones life. So when you watch and see and learn of good happy ideas..nice places, people smiling , laughing having a good time, Sunshine shining , learn of what makes you happier and power that. brings more happiness into your life now
    • Cultural Stories Which Involve The Force from Cult... (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: Some aspects can be found in Christianity, among those who are non-trinitarian, and see the "Holy Spirit" as an impersonal active force... *waves* Christian here, checking in. Though I'm mostly an armchair theologian and part-time mystic, I do feel the need to point out in discussions like this that there is not a 1:1 direct analogue to the Force in Christianity. (potentially off-topic slightly) Spoiler: Let me elaborate, slightly. Almost every time this discussion comes up (seeing the Force in Christianity), the focus is turned on the Holy Spirit as an impersonal force with little thought given to other possibilities. This may actually work wonderfully for non-trinitarian messianic Abrahamists, and I have no doubt that many of them consider this their personal response. However, among trinitarians, who believe the Holy Spirit is a very intelligent, very personal being, other possibilities to recognize the Force at work do present themselves. One of these is the idea that Sophia, the feminine personification of Wisdom so spoken of in Proverbs, also possesses a motive nature that would allow us to exert the force of our "wisdom" (or our will) upon the world. Another is the idea that our rauch, our very spirit and "wind", emanating from the breath of God given to Adam, imbues us with a bit of the divine ourselves, allowing us to affect changes upon the world (distinct from Ruach HaKodesh, the Holy Spirit of Divine God). Some might consider it to be a manifestation of the shekinah in our daily lives, the manifestation of the Divine Presence allowing us to be capable of these things. Others might think it is a function of the Law Universal; that since we are given dominion over the Earth, the earth does its part to obey us at times. It could be seen as an object lesson, that our minds and bodies are the microcosm that affects the macrocosm of creation. It could be the echoes of God, or our power as His heralds. There really are many options. I, personally, prefer to view it as an underlying thread; a tool placed by the Creator to allow for a greater understanding of the reality in which we live, but is ultimately distinct from Him, as the voice is separate from its speaker. I like the idea of this thread. I can't wait to see some responses.
    • MJ Hannigan (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: Just to clarify, this wasn't so much about what he said about the Temple but rather about the way he treated individual people, wasn't it? I'm asking because I'm right there on the edge, too, and in order to know when I've cross some lines I need to know approximately where they are. I know Akkarin responded, but, let me quote a fairly new document that I added a while back for people making accounts, and some here may not have seen it... Quote: www.templeofthejediorder.org/component/c...ice-for-registration Rules, written in black and white, feel like a challenge to many, and those folks like to see how far things can be pushed. By being able to search the internet to find us, we assume each individual to have an average intelligence (or better), and to understand that the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law" are different. We are a "spirit of the law" community. We do not remove folks for one offence, for five offences, or for fifty offences. There is no set number. When the burden of a persons membership outweighs their benefit, they will be removed. As you are about to sign up, two rules, in particular, are of importance. You are fine Gisteron.... Your actions, and that of others, was not directly insulting or belittling... Perhaps overzealousness in search of the truth, :lol:... Truth as seen by you...;) The 'line' you are looking for is invisible, and never quite in the same place twice... I hope that answers your question...:)
    • Its been a punny kind of day (Last post by DavidMikky)
    • I want some friends I can go level with or take some ops. Hard to find people on during my play time because I'm in the USA. I am currently Protopharma but I can switch on my own to whichever faction. I prefer anti-city.

There are 161 visitors, 7 guests and 25 members online (one is in chat): Br. John, steamboat28, Jon, Shadouness, Jestor, Nakis, Adder, Adhara, Garwa Mayharr, Desolous, Proteus, Reacher, Rosalyn J, Vusuki, E-3_4L_Teeter, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, Silvermane, tzb, Kaverael, khrinosimmortali, SeventhSL, Chadius4, Revan Falton, Quae-Do Lumen, Oneiros, JackMS, Sonor Zodaan, Invictus, Mos-An Hobel.

Follow Us