ichange wrote:
Good and evil exist in nature.
They exist as one.
Thinking separates.

Interesting concept because I believe:

Good and Evil do not exist in nature...
Neither Exist,
Thinking Creates Them!

Let me add - Humans thinking creates them!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Arcade

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 09:18 by Phortis Nespin.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 10:26 #47261

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Phortis Nespin wrote:
Let me add - Humans thinking creates them!

Do you exclude other animals because you think they cannot comprehend the suffering of others or do you think they are incapable of evil?

I wonder because I dont think its just humans... I extend a capacity for evil to all animals. I'm not sure about insects yet. My cat (and dogs I've known) can be what I consider evil. I know it's instinct is to hunt to eat, but it routinely tries to practise hunting for fun. Training is good to an extent, but it doesnt really care between the pain and suffering of its victim and so for me that selfishness is comparible to evil. Many animals cause pain and suffering for their own amusement because its a challenge and I think instinctually predators sense the need to kill prey at every opportunity to avoid periods when no prey is available. The key is I think they are smart enough to control themselves and decide not too.
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 10:29 by Adder.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:00 #47264

I know that animals have feelings; and, I am certain all intelligent life perceives at least some array of emotion. But I do not feel that all animals perceive good and evil.

These are concepts of morality are based on a dualistic structure. Free will has been accredited with the creation of concepts associated with positive and negative influences. Social acceptance governs the terms that regulate the combining of actions into the moral structure of what is good and what is evil. And what is good in one culture is sometimes not in another.

All life has free will. All life has intelligence. But a complete understanding of each creatures social structure is still foreign to us. So, I believe it is a bit presumptuous for us to associate human characteristics to things we do not fully comprehend.

Yes, there are events which to us seem to cause emotional responses in the behavior of animals; both positive and negative. And I believe the animals understand the difference between joy and sadness, love and hate. But do they see certain events, behaviors and actions as good or evil... probably not. And not because they are not capable of such a level of experience but because they are most likely not experiencing life with the same social structures as us.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:04 #47265

I have pondered the question of whether animals are good or evil and have come to the conclusion that they are not. Animals are capable of so many "emotions" that are similar to that of humans. Dolphins are a prime example of extending emotion towards humans who have had emergencies while in the ocean. And although other animals, especially dogs and cats, have what seem to be human type emotions, I believe they are more instinctual than learned.

I believe what seems like emotion is just a response to a set of circumstances that trigger a instinctual response to display "happy", "sad", "anger", or "fear". I do not believe that nature can be evil or good because they are what they are. It is the human intervention that causes the basic animal to change its response to its surroundings or environment. Besides, if we believe that the Force is not good or evil, and it is our human nature to put labels to things, than???

Believe me, I am on a shaky ledge on this issue so don't beat me up too bad on it. But if I understand what I have been reading, I side with animals are just doing what they do.
Jedi Knight

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:16 #47267

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
Yeah I wouldnt be so presumptious to call any particular animal 'evil' as that sort of judgement would have to be an exageration, but I do have the personal opinion many (possibly all) animals have the capacity for evil behaviours - certainly not all types of evil behaviours, but things like my example above of unnecessarily causing pain and suffering to another creature. I guess you could say I think animals have a light or dark path to choose from just like us!

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:32 #47271

I think that all the points discussed are valid. And I agree that animals do things that we consider to be good or evil. And I know that an animal senses when it has done what others perceive as bad. I have seen this every time my dog has an accident in the floor and I give her the “evil eye” :P

I was merely saying that I don't think animals perceive their own actions as good or bad, or the actions of other animals as good or bad; because, I view those as human inventions.

But hey, I could be completely wrong! I am just drawing from what I have experienced. And I would love to set down and discus philosophy with an animal or insect or plant. And I'm not being sarcastic. I would love to know just what does go on in their minds. And maybe someday we will be able to!

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 11:41 #47272

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
Wescli Wardest wrote:
I was merely saying that I don't think animals perceive their own actions as good or bad, or the actions of other animals as good or bad; because, I view those as human inventions.

Ahh ok, interesting. I guess I view concepts of evil as objective (if thats the right word) and linked to spirituality through physical welfare, wheras good and bad are more subjective, for me evil is at another level and any living creature would (might) have the ability to have a connection to it (the Force) by virtue of being sentient. I do feel though that animals have a harder time reaching a level of understanding of the Force because they are seemingly so much more driven by instinct then humans.

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 12:08 #47275

Why is it that every time I think of good and evil, it draws me back to the Dungeons and Dragons game? Good, Evil, Neutral Good, Neutral evil, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil, etc.

Then another though occurred, good vs bad is different from GOOD vs EVIL.

Some children are bad and some are good, but an evil child gets exorcized.:P
Jedi Knight

Luke Skywalker

Corran Horn

Re: Good and Bad Exist? 06 Jan 2012 19:37 #47291

Lmao!! That's clever!
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Gallon Challenge (Last post by Psyddhattha)
    • Is the single sheet method where you tear a hole in the middle and keep that bit for cleaning your nail afterwards? :ohmy:
    • Caterpillars Blowing Smoke (Last post by Psyddhattha)
    • Quote: Quote: Personally I hope you don't end your time here Khaos. I enjoy reading your comments as your point of view seems very different to mine. You said the other day that you come here to learn and in my opinion you also teach. Yin yang anyone? I know we are all at different stages on our Jedi paths but the ego can really hinder learning. If people want to post their views without discussion then maybe it would be best to do this in their journal then others can simply thank them if they like it. I quite agree, I hope Khaos hangs around...:) But, let me ask, what about the timid person who finally gets up the nerve to post his/her thoughts? And wants input from many people, which can't happen in a journal... They most likely cannot stand pressure that the logical minded individual can apply... Even an innocent question can do this...:) So, how does someone not so, maybe not as strong (yet) as they need to be, engage the community, and make posts when they can't quite figure out the answers? Do we let them remain lost? Or, as seems to be our (totjo) style, try to help them figure it out, and maybe help ourselves along the way? I'm strong, Khaos and Gisteron, are strong, plenty of us here... But that's not everyone... Shoot, Khaos and Gisteron (not them alone, just our most recent people of topics, lol) often times speak, and I have trouble understanding everything they say because I didn't learn about all the stuff they did... And, lol, they have trouble understanding me... lol.. Cause I learned different stuff then them.... But, my point was, not everyone is ready for "critical logic", lol.... Don't get me wrong. I'm a "warm and fuzzy" type who has to look up every other word those guys (and others) use. I certainly don't advocate a lack of compassion. But as you said, even an innocent question could upset a timid person, so maybe there could be a specific section of the forum for timid people to post where their thoughts shouldn't be challenged but gently probed and encouraged or a spiritual section where science and logic is banned. There will always be those people who have a more aggressive discussion style and ultimately I guess the council has to decide whether or not they think it appropriate.
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • INVENTOR DEVELOPS SYNTHETIC LEAF WHICH PRODUCES OXYGEN Julian Melchiorri, a graduate of the Royal College of Art, claims to have developed a silk leaf that could create oxygen for space travel as well as make the air nicer here on Earth. The leaf was developed in conjunction with a silk lab from Tufts University The leaf is created from a matrix of protein extracted from silk and chloroplasts, the organelle that allows plants and algae to perform photosynthesis. When provided with light and water, the synthetic leaf allegedly acts just like a real leaf and produces oxygen. “It’s very light, low energy-consuming,” he explains. “It’s completely biological and my idea was to use the efficiency of nature in a man-made environment. I created some lighting out of this material, using the light to illuminate the house but at the same time to create oxygen for us.” Malchiorri isn’t content to just think of a few small fixtures within the house as the only use for this product. His dreams for Silk Leaf are out of this world. "NASA is researching different ways to produce oxygen for long-distance space journeys to let us live in space,” he continued. “This material could allow us to explore space much further than we can now." In addition to meeting the breathing demands of astronauts and the first colonists of Mars and beyond, the material could be used on the facades of buildings and inside ventilation systems in order to generate fresh oxygen. All of this does sound pretty great, but does not account for photosynthesis in its entirety. Let’s take a look at the equation: 6CO2 + 6H2O + --(Sunlight Energy)--> C6H12O6 + 6O2 The Silk Leaf accounts for the input of carbon dioxide, water, and light as well as the oxygen product, but what about all the sugar? Plants don’t perform photosynthesis purely as a public service; it is done so they can create food for themselves. There isn’t an explanation as to what happens to the carbon and hydrogen that the leaf takes in. Silk Leaf lacks the vacuoles, stems, and roots that store food in plants. The video also claims that plants don’t grow in space, which isn’t true. There have been concerns in the past that roots require gravity in order to develop properly, but experiments from the ISS have shown that plants can grow in space. However, it would take a considerable amount of soil, water, and plants to generate enough oxygen for astronauts or a, so a lightweight alternative like Silk Leaf would be beneficial in that regard. Read more at www.iflscience.com/technology/inventor-d...#TgypDOj3fbYyIgB1.99
    • Cathedrals of Utopia (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Why does all the cool stuff happen far from me....the first thought when I saw that pic alan was one day far in the future historians/archeologists will find this and try to figure out what it is and how it was done....much like current views of stonehenge...
    • First Milestone (Last post by RyuJin)
    • 2 Pounds a week is definitely a good/healthy amount...at most 3pounds a week, any more and the risk of health issues increases...especially if diabetic, really young or really old...remember to mix things up every few weeks to prevent plateauing....grats and continued success to you
    • What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice? (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: The thing with moxibustion is they are meant to be full of mugwort, which is referenced in witchcraft and wicca info sometimes I think? Commonly used in witchcraft and Pagan traditions, yes (also by some Native American tribes)... and for varied reasons with various applications.
    • Why I Believe in god(s) (Last post by Khaos)
    • Quote: I even wondered if god had parents I remember thinking this very thing at about seven. It was sort of like the multiverse, multi multiverse, thing Tyson talks about. As those parents had to have had parents, etc. Then. my head exploded. :laugh:
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Luthien)
    • 3x12; 1 min. rest between sets 1. Crunch 2A. Barbell Split Squat 2B. Chinup 3A. Barbell Deadlift 3B. Overhead Press (from behind the neck, carefully) I'm spent. I'll do cardio tomorrow.
    • Gisteron (Last post by scott777ab)
    • I've seen that word while reading. "Equivocation." But like I said I am taking the time to actually read up on this. I'm just asking questions of you as they come to my mind is all. Thanks for responding.
    • People Killing Each Other (Last post by Karn)
    • There is a lot of stuff going on, yes there is a lot of killing happening around the globe. Just remember, media sells ratings by such "news". Take what you hear, but I always do some research and try to get more than what the media is feeding us. Just like at accident scenes, it would appear that humans love to gawk. Which increases ratings for the media. There is a lot of good going on out there, it just does not make the news as often. There is hope.

There are 132 visitors, 3 guests and 16 members online (none are in chat): steamboat28, Shadouness, Adder, Learn_To_Know, Psyddhattha, Proteus, Luthien, PatrickB, Khaos, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, tzb, benedictveritas, Trice Corbel, Knigma, TambelSadera.

Follow Us