Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN??

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 11:20 #46481

Learn_to_Know wrote:
However, I'm not ready to subscribe to the idea that Jedi should have children. There is much that a Jedi can do in their service and compassion to others that doesn't have to involve raising their own. Perhaps even seeking out those children that are in a less fortunate position and helping them in some way?

As a matter of semantics, should and must are not the same. Jedi should have children but not all have the capacity or capability at this time in their life. I would also point out that working with any child is a form of parenting. If you have a desire to help other children that is wonderful. As a past PTA member I worked with many children in the school. I was also a Scout Master for several years.

In any one of these cases, you are raising children, you just are not paying for their cloths so to speak. Your influence on a child has an effect on them that lasts a lifetime. I have children I worked with 10 years ago saying hi to me in the grocery store. I wish I could remember all their names. They remember me because of the time I took to teach them how to read, or make paper, or chalk. I, in a very real sense, took an active part in raising that child.

So...raise your own or raise others? Either way be a positive role model!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentice:Mathew Erickson

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 12:16 #46484

Sapadu wrote:
'HAH!' Kendalina guffawed. Immediately, Jack should have known the Vader quote would upset her, 'Redemption for killing, what, THOUSANDS of people, just because he got that stupid b**** senator from Naboo knocked up and she popped out TWO kids? How is that redeeming in the SLIGHTEST?'

"Kendalina, you're not helping your case when I try to defend you as a pro-feminist model." Jack mumbled.

'No, I'm serious. The mother is the one who did all the work, Vader didn't play ANY role in how they grew up -- what with never BEING there or even being AWARE the children had been born or survived -- and he didn't get his head out of his @$$ until the very last second.' Kendalina fumed. Triclops didn't say a word, merely sitting by and knitting, 'And your children being the best of you? KARK THAT! That's just lazy, relying on a kid to justify your existence. You should be a good person on your OWN! Lookit Jango Fett! Having Boba Fett didn't redeem him. Or the Emperor for that matter -- 'cuz, y'know, HE was such a great person because of Trike!'

'The Emperor didn't have kids!' Interrupted Kakeru, in a very Star Trek-not-knowing-Star-Wars-lore sort of voice.

'Sure he did -- but it was in cloning experiments kinda like the Jango/Boba Fett crossed with Frankenstein way.' James snapped back, fanboy to the core. Tired of the argument, Triclops sighed.

'Maybe the real lesson is Vader's ability to love.' It certainly shut everyone up, 'He turned to the Dark Side because the obsessive, violent part of his love for his wife turned into possessiveness. What redeems him is the fact that he loves his son enough to save that son.'

"I like her passion, but I think we disagree on the word redeem," LTK said quietly.

His Force Conscience paused momentarily before prompting softly, "What does redeem mean to you?"

LTK contemplated carefully, debating within himself how to best phrase it. Not being entirely sure of his choice of words, he proceeded cautiously.

"I look at redeem in this scenario with Vader as simply a desire to not repeat the same mistakes again." LTK paused a moment, feeling like he wasn't being as clear as he desired. "He finally turned his back on the darkness, and it was because of the suffering of his son, what he was witnessing that spurred him on. His child may not have redeemed him from his past evils, but he certainly effected a huge change on Vader as he turned against the embodiment of evil. That is kind of like redemption, isn't?"

His Force Conscience nodded sagely, but was somewhat disappointed at LTK's struggling to explain a concept that should be clear and concise. "What about her comment about using a kid to justify your existence. I believe she said you should be a good person on your own, not just because you have a kid."

LTK quickly replied, "I agree with her there. We should be a good person on our own. To have to rely on children to be good would be an attachment a Jedi shouldn't have."

His Force Conscience smiled delightedly. "She is definitely right. And you are on your way to understanding this, possibly as well as she already does. But one thing shouldn't be forgotten: understand that you should be a good person on your own, you should strive to be an even better person when guarding and training a light that comes from the Force."
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 14:41 #46488

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
I must say I like the question a lot. I agree with Phortis Nespin on this as far as the answer. I would love to have children and plan to when I find the right man to have them with. Now, aside from work, I have taught kids, mentored, and other things. It's so important to be a positive role model.

As for redeeming, that's an interesting point. Can that act of saving his son redeem Vader? Well, acording to some religions, yes. In Islam, I believe Muhammad said that if you do a bad deed followed by a good deed, the good deed will wipe out the bad one. In Christianity, Jesus' sacrifice redeems any who accept him and repent. Is everyone redeemed by their children, no. I think perhaps Vader was. Honestly, their mother didn't do all the work. She had the children and died. They were each raised by different people. It is a testament to Anakin Skywalker that even after he became Darth Vader and didn't know his kids, he still saved Luke's life and, ultimately, sacrificed his own.
Leena
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 23:20 #46494

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
i say, let things happen as they must... if one is meant to have children it will happen (whether they plan to or not). whether we have children or not we should still provide a positive rolemodel to all(adult and children alike).
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Learn_To_Know

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:24 #46495

I have 3 daughters and a gran daughter, they are my life!!!

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:59 #46496

I have three fantastic children, I can't think of life without them now.

When my 1st one was on the way I was so very worried as I was not sure I was ready to be a dad, but when are we ever ready ???

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 16:33 #46502

I don't really agree with Lucas that the point of life is having children- that's what a virus does, not more complex living things. We are more than our children.

However, I am a father myself, and can see the arguments for and against it in my own experiences. Parenting is a valuable teaching experience, and can be a great joy and fulfillment. However, your own body and mind does attempt to betray you and cause you to instinctively center on them. It has proven genetically valuable, but may not be the wisest course of action for a Jedi.

Through application of will, I have gotten to a place where I love my children, but feel no attachment to them, and do not revolve my life around them. Not many parents do all three of those things.

Saying Jedi should have children is something of a loaded statement to something that has advantages and disadvantages. I would say Jedi should be allowed to have children.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Books for Free (Public Domain) (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: I've posted some of these on my wall previously, but I think they deserve a thread, and as an avid book collector this is quite close to my heart. There are a lot of books out there that are now in the public domain but you might find sites like Amazon still charging for printed or kindle copies of them. Below are some websites where you can find these public domain books: Books Should Be Free Project Gutenberg Global Grey (This one is a bit easier to look through than the first two and has some interesting stuff, especially for religion, philosophy, history and occult subjects) Feedbooks Authorama (Perhaps a nice mod could sticky this?.... maybe, maybe :) ) Each of those links was added to the library: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/library Thank you.
    • The Shadow (Last post by Psyddhattha)
    • Quote: The Shadow by Jacquelyn Small, Eupsychia Institute SHADOW: The Deficient or Negative Ego. The shadow represents all our disowned, despised, and repressed traits. It lives buried in the closets of our subconscious minds safe from our judgments. The shadow is our "dark side." It acts out for us all those denied emotions and urges we wish we didn't have. For instance, if we're prudish about our sexuality, it acts out our "vamp" side behind our backs. If we insist on always being kind and loving for all the world to see, it will express our other side by sometimes taking over and harshly misbehaving. It is an emotion-based self, slippery and hard to catch. And it is grounded in fear, drama, and competitiveness; it can destroy our relationships if not tamed. Its sacred purpose in our transformation is to remind us of our emotional unfinished business, of what we're trying to skip over or leave behind. Jung called it "our sparring partner," the opponent who exposes our flaws and sharpens our skills. Whenever you repress an emotion, or deny an issue in your life–such as pretending an insult doesn't hurt, or insisting you're not having trouble with alcohol when it's obvious you're alcoholic–these repressed emotions or unresolved issues will go underground into the subconscious mind. Because it takes so much energy to repress disowned feelings, the shadow will eventually pop out and make a food of itself (you!), or in some other way bring the issue to the surface. The shadow is our awakener; it will eventually bring out of denial all our unconscious ways. Our codependence patterns come from the shadow's fears and illusions about how to love and be loved, and until we make them conscious (recognize and own them), we are likely to act out, manipulate, or otherwise behave co-dependently through this negative, non-purified ego. The shadow dissipates or lightens when we accept it. We may still swing from negative to positive states, but our lives will become manageable because the extremes will disappear. When our shadow does manifest, we'll know it is time to listen to its message rather than act on its impulses. We need to see that the shadow, too, can be our friend. [excerpt from AWAKENING IN TIME, pg. 19-20] ACCEPTING YOUR SHADOW AS A CONSCIOUS COMPANION (THE SHADOW AS 'SYMBOL' OR 'SYMPTOM') The shadow is our passionate response to life, our heart's intensities borne from the suffering taken on so that we might enter fully into the human predicament. It is the first archetype we meet along our journey to wholeness, the first we make "real." It acts out so terribly, we simply have to notice. Jung believed that we meet the shadow by going through a narrow door–one that many wish to avoid entering. But it isn't possible to avoid this, for until the shadow is accessed, brought into the "light of day" and accepted with love and forgiveness, i.e., integrated, it runs–or perhaps ruins–our lives. It distorts our human interactions in ways that keep us unclear, victims of our excesses and addictions. According to Jungian Jolande Jacobi, in psychic inner reality the archetypal Shadow is a symbol for an aspect of the self (1959). When we cannot find a way to work with our shadow through our dreams or in other ways, it becomes a symptom in our outer world. Until it is made conscious, the shadow causes us to create emotional explosions and catastrophe or to explode in emotionalism. It stands there at the threshold of our unconscious mind, reflecting back to us our blind side. We must learn to embrace the shadow without trying to win it over. It is our teacher. Often we aren't even able to hear the more kindly offerings from our friends, so to command our attention the shadow must pop out to remind us that it exists from time to time. The shadow is emotional in nature, not a "thing" or a certain "person" we can ever know concretely. It is often made up of our aggressive or sexual urges and promptings from the extremes, or some other "untamed" aspect of our human/animal nature. Since our rage and sexual desire are two aspects of human nature we have the hardest time integrating and respect the least, they are often the aspects of us that operate in shadowy ways. According to Jungian Marie-Louise von Franz, the shadow takes the form of laziness, greed, envy, jealousy, the desire for prestige, aggressions, and similar "tormenting spirits". When we ignore our shadow, it is like opening a door and allowing negative powers such as wrath, envy, lechery, or faintheartedness to step in. In ancient times, these were known as demons or bad spirits. When we try to deny the shadow it multiplies. When we choose to integrate it instead, we gain stability and expansion of consciousness, losing our one-sided self-righteousness and becoming flexible instead of defensive and rigid. If your shadow seems to you to be fairly hard to accept, or you're having trouble finding it all, you may want to ask for the help of a good therapist who is as at home in the shadow's domain as in the light, acquainted with the wilderness experience we humans must travel through if we are to realize our full potential. Jung writes: "Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual's conscious life, the blacker and denser it is. At all counts, it forms an unconscious snag, thwarting our most well-meant intentions." [excerpt from EMBODYING SPIRIT, pg. 131-133] Your Observer Self is the tamer of your shadow side, the dark, unloved, unlived part of your nature. Your shadow is a conglomeration of the traits you deplore and prefer to notice in others but never, of course, in yourself. It consists of parts of your psyche that were damaged or didn't mature and of which you are ashamed. You have disowned these parts of yourself. Your psyche has built up defense mechanisms to keep you from knowing these aspects of your nature. But this doesn't mean these traits disappear. When denied, they grow stronger–buried in closets of repression in your subconscious mind. This shadowy side of your nature –usually a form of aggressiveness, meanness, hysteria, or forbidden sexual fascination–hides out just below the surface of your awareness. It acts out when you are off-guard–when you have not eaten or slept enough, or when stress is making you feel frustrated or helpless. On these occasions it may burst out in an out-of-control overreaction and embarrass you. The more it is denied, the stronger its force. As though in a pressure cooker, your shadow chums with all those pent-up feelings you're denying or are too ashamed to explore in the light of day. But to be rounded out, we must make our shadow and all the fear and rejection associated with it conscious, or we'll be at its mercy forever. To heal, the shadow has to be exposed and accepted for exactly who and what it is. Then, paradoxically, it won't need to act out so dramatically, though it may still tug at you from time to time. It will always be your dark side. Your shadow is only the antithesis of the creative process–your "sparring partner" who makes your life exciting. It forces you to weed out anything wrong with your design and to look at what you're trying to ignore. Its sacred function is to force you to work through your dark side, so its energy can be released in appropriate ways. Then, it blesses you with its spiritual gift: it releases your elan vital. Your shadow is very much like managing and loving a hyperactive child. We learn to express our true feelings in safe settings, see them operate, forgive ourselves and others, and learn to accept it all, over and over...until all our energies are balanced and can be used for good. This is integration. When you feel yourself moving toward an overreaction, call on your Observer Self to watch you consciously. You can either do this symbolically in your mind, or you can act it out in the outer world. But be careful about the choice of acting out your shadow; doing so can cause you more problems. If you just can't stop yourself from acting out, then you need a lesson. In shadow work, we can learn to have an ongoing dialogue with the differing voices of the shadow, along with all the taunting images that challenge us when we're trying to stop a destructive habit. By clarifying our images and our energies, we will eventually integrate our shadow self enough so it will no longer threaten us. [excerpt from BECOMING A PRACTICAL MYSTIC, pg. 95-97]
    • Dream job? (Last post by Adder)
    • So intel is your preferred, but you'd rather avoid military and do not want to do a degree straight out of school... Police could be an entry point for getting a grounding in working with people in gathering intelligence (about criminal activities), and after a while you could do some part-time study in intelligence type of Uni degree's which would then give you a good angle to get a desk job in the departments intelligence areas. I'm not sure it is at all physical as an intel analyst, but perhaps a bit as an intel collector. There are also other departments within Policing which you might be attracted to once you've been on the beat for awhile. From there perhaps get a post graduate degree (employer paying for it is ideal, else part time online/distance are options these days) in international relations and try to angle into some secret squirrel government job or just switch to the public service more generally. Reality probably will be you will have to compete with degree qualified jobseekers for most jobs these days (and promotions once in), so while you don't need to get a degree straight out of school it is something to consider - after all, learning is a life long experience!!
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Renewables Now Produce 22 Percent Of The Worlds Energy. Last year, renewable power capacity expanded at its fastest pace yet, reaching nearly 22 percent of the global mix. Up from 21 percent in 2012 and 18 percent in 2007, that puts renewable electricity generation—from wind, solar, and hydro—on par with that of natural gas. But with uncertainty over policy support, the expansion of renewable energy will slow over the next five years, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency. Renewable energy could make up over a quarter of global electricity generation by 2020, according to the agency, but annual growth is expected to slow and stabilize after 2014—putting renewables at risk of falling short of global climate change goals. “Renewables are a necessary part of energy security. However, just when they are becoming a cost-competitive option in an increasing number of cases, policy and regulatory uncertainty is rising in some key markets. This stems from concerns about the costs of deploying renewables,” IEA’s Maria van der Hoeven says in a news release. “Governments must distinguish more clearly between the past, present and future, as costs are falling over time.” The report also provided a renewable power investment outlook. Through 2020, investment in new renewable power could average over $230 billion a year—though that’s lower than the $250 billion invested around the world in 2013. The decline is because unit costs are expected to fall, but also due to expectations that global capacity growth will slow. However, with the focus on electricity and transportation sectors, the contribution of renewables to heating and cooling remains underdeveloped. Although renewable energy sources are expected to grow by almost 25 percent in 2020, their share in energy use for heat rises to only 9 percent—up from 8 percent in 2013. [Via International Energy Agency] Read more at www.iflscience.com/environment/renewable...#C1dqdqFVQ7YpJtrO.99
    • The Code(s) (Last post by Gisteron)
    • What always troubled me about the revised "yet"-code, was, that, and you guys know me by now - I love me some precision - it always sounded like somebody is having trouble making up their mind. Yes, I hear them saying, it is about balance, middle path, zen, yadda-yadda-yadda... So what does that accomplish? We already know there are two sides to most issues, thanks for the info. Of course, short of the Force line, everything else in the orthodox code would resemble classical stoic teachings though, and the "yet"-framing is at best just failing to represent that and arguably speaks of the opposite instead. That's why the new pattern of displaying the codes as parallel and giving different views on "the same teaching" sounds discretely iffy to me, though I suppose that'd be a discussion all on its own, and with some brain spine breaking mental gymnastics there sure will be some apologetic to talk the elephant back out of the room when it didn't have to be brought in the first place... To be frank, and this is my opinion only, I think the "orthodox" code is by far the more useful one. Where the "yet" version only tells you that there just are some opposites here and there, it barely makes a judgement or prescription. It tells you nothing about what to strive for nor gives you insight into anything you hadn't already internalized by the time you read it. On the other hand, the "orthodox" code is way more judgemental and strict. That may not always be a good thing (the Temple has had its share of newcomers who needed that explained and smoothed out for them), and I also understand everyone who ever gets confused by the parallelistic format when the lines are so different (and please, someone, push me to finally write my complete essay/treatise of the orthodox code), but at least it makes a statement, which is, again, more than can be said of the "yet" version. Sorry if I was being harsh again :unsure:
    • What is spiritual welfare according to the pastor ... (Last post by Aqua)
    • People want to know more, sometimes it is better to know something not. I shall explain the riddle of this myth for you :) The reason he is lonely is because he wants more, mental materialism. The surprise was gone, knowing to much can remove the meaning of live. The the myth is to understand why we know things, en why we do not know things. Again full of live questions This myth points to one of the three temptations. * economic temptation * political temptation * spiritual temptation The hole point of the small story is: Do we need to know what spiritual welfare is? Do we need knowledge that is maybe not for us to know? This in order to come back to the thread point, I admit that I this was a bit puzzling to understand this myth :side:

There are 108 visitors, 12 guests and 25 members online (3  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Jon, Jestor, ren, Joe, Nakis, Gisteron, Psyddhattha, Proteus, samofdreams, Whyte Horse, Vusuki, Gallileo Oortael, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, zeronycon, Obi-Wan Lightheart, mdk, Edan, Senan, Zenchi, jadedbehan, Mathew Erickson, Knigma, SeventhSL, porkapon763, Chadius4, plazdrip, Korund Uku Luleko, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Ilyowh Eclipseblast, Fabtrek, Prog.

Follow Us