Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN??

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 11:20 #46481

Learn_to_Know wrote:
However, I'm not ready to subscribe to the idea that Jedi should have children. There is much that a Jedi can do in their service and compassion to others that doesn't have to involve raising their own. Perhaps even seeking out those children that are in a less fortunate position and helping them in some way?

As a matter of semantics, should and must are not the same. Jedi should have children but not all have the capacity or capability at this time in their life. I would also point out that working with any child is a form of parenting. If you have a desire to help other children that is wonderful. As a past PTA member I worked with many children in the school. I was also a Scout Master for several years.

In any one of these cases, you are raising children, you just are not paying for their cloths so to speak. Your influence on a child has an effect on them that lasts a lifetime. I have children I worked with 10 years ago saying hi to me in the grocery store. I wish I could remember all their names. They remember me because of the time I took to teach them how to read, or make paper, or chalk. I, in a very real sense, took an active part in raising that child.

So...raise your own or raise others? Either way be a positive role model!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentices: Jedi_Roz
Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!
Phortis Nespin
"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker
“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 12:16 #46484

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
Sapadu wrote:
'HAH!' Kendalina guffawed. Immediately, Jack should have known the Vader quote would upset her, 'Redemption for killing, what, THOUSANDS of people, just because he got that stupid b**** senator from Naboo knocked up and she popped out TWO kids? How is that redeeming in the SLIGHTEST?'

"Kendalina, you're not helping your case when I try to defend you as a pro-feminist model." Jack mumbled.

'No, I'm serious. The mother is the one who did all the work, Vader didn't play ANY role in how they grew up -- what with never BEING there or even being AWARE the children had been born or survived -- and he didn't get his head out of his @$$ until the very last second.' Kendalina fumed. Triclops didn't say a word, merely sitting by and knitting, 'And your children being the best of you? KARK THAT! That's just lazy, relying on a kid to justify your existence. You should be a good person on your OWN! Lookit Jango Fett! Having Boba Fett didn't redeem him. Or the Emperor for that matter -- 'cuz, y'know, HE was such a great person because of Trike!'

'The Emperor didn't have kids!' Interrupted Kakeru, in a very Star Trek-not-knowing-Star-Wars-lore sort of voice.

'Sure he did -- but it was in cloning experiments kinda like the Jango/Boba Fett crossed with Frankenstein way.' James snapped back, fanboy to the core. Tired of the argument, Triclops sighed.

'Maybe the real lesson is Vader's ability to love.' It certainly shut everyone up, 'He turned to the Dark Side because the obsessive, violent part of his love for his wife turned into possessiveness. What redeems him is the fact that he loves his son enough to save that son.'

"I like her passion, but I think we disagree on the word redeem," LTK said quietly.

His Force Conscience paused momentarily before prompting softly, "What does redeem mean to you?"

LTK contemplated carefully, debating within himself how to best phrase it. Not being entirely sure of his choice of words, he proceeded cautiously.

"I look at redeem in this scenario with Vader as simply a desire to not repeat the same mistakes again." LTK paused a moment, feeling like he wasn't being as clear as he desired. "He finally turned his back on the darkness, and it was because of the suffering of his son, what he was witnessing that spurred him on. His child may not have redeemed him from his past evils, but he certainly effected a huge change on Vader as he turned against the embodiment of evil. That is kind of like redemption, isn't?"

His Force Conscience nodded sagely, but was somewhat disappointed at LTK's struggling to explain a concept that should be clear and concise. "What about her comment about using a kid to justify your existence. I believe she said you should be a good person on your own, not just because you have a kid."

LTK quickly replied, "I agree with her there. We should be a good person on our own. To have to rely on children to be good would be an attachment a Jedi shouldn't have."

His Force Conscience smiled delightedly. "She is definitely right. And you are on your way to understanding this, possibly as well as she already does. But one thing shouldn't be forgotten: understand that you should be a good person on your own, you should strive to be an even better person when guarding and training a light that comes from the Force."
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 14:41 #46488

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
I must say I like the question a lot. I agree with Phortis Nespin on this as far as the answer. I would love to have children and plan to when I find the right man to have them with. Now, aside from work, I have taught kids, mentored, and other things. It's so important to be a positive role model.

As for redeeming, that's an interesting point. Can that act of saving his son redeem Vader? Well, acording to some religions, yes. In Islam, I believe Muhammad said that if you do a bad deed followed by a good deed, the good deed will wipe out the bad one. In Christianity, Jesus' sacrifice redeems any who accept him and repent. Is everyone redeemed by their children, no. I think perhaps Vader was. Honestly, their mother didn't do all the work. She had the children and died. They were each raised by different people. It is a testament to Anakin Skywalker that even after he became Darth Vader and didn't know his kids, he still saved Luke's life and, ultimately, sacrificed his own.
Leena
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 23:20 #46494

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
i say, let things happen as they must... if one is meant to have children it will happen (whether they plan to or not). whether we have children or not we should still provide a positive rolemodel to all(adult and children alike).
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
sometimes you have to enter the darkness to save the light
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current Apprentices: Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Baru

The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:24 #46495

I have 3 daughters and a gran daughter, they are my life!!!

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:59 #46496

I have three fantastic children, I can't think of life without them now.

When my 1st one was on the way I was so very worried as I was not sure I was ready to be a dad, but when are we ever ready ???

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 16:33 #46502

I don't really agree with Lucas that the point of life is having children- that's what a virus does, not more complex living things. We are more than our children.

However, I am a father myself, and can see the arguments for and against it in my own experiences. Parenting is a valuable teaching experience, and can be a great joy and fulfillment. However, your own body and mind does attempt to betray you and cause you to instinctively center on them. It has proven genetically valuable, but may not be the wisest course of action for a Jedi.

Through application of will, I have gotten to a place where I love my children, but feel no attachment to them, and do not revolve my life around them. Not many parents do all three of those things.

Saying Jedi should have children is something of a loaded statement to something that has advantages and disadvantages. I would say Jedi should be allowed to have children.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • To the Fatty on the Track (Last post by ren)
    • I don't see what's so surprising about this. fatties know they're fatties, and everyone who made it to a human biology lesson in primary school knows it takes them 3 to 4 times the normal amount of energy just to keep their body weight, due to significantly higher energetic requirements of the simplest body functions like maintaining body temperature or breathing. What's stupid about this message is it encourages fat people to run. Running is great for losing weight, even better if your goal is to get new hips and knees. Fat people should swim.
    • Best martial art? (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • corrections; spelling is taekwondo not taikwondo and korean arts usually refer to their place of training as dojang not dojo since im writing this i may as well add krav maga is really good for weapon disarms "combat jujutsu" is awesome AND amazing and most things are neither so thats good capoeira also gets you ready to hit the clubs with some funky dance moves and there is a community of capoeirists who are fighting full contact events even though i think sd is best for most to start with boxing, if i had to choose between a striking system and a grappling system and there was no integration (except for what the system itself taught) ultimately i would choose a grappling system pankration is probably the best "mma" system because historical pankration is very very fragmented most of the original greek techniques and training was lost so jim arvantis, when he basically invented modern pankration (late 60s/early70s), borrowed heavily from other styles and effectively developed "MMA" into a single system - "MMA" would not be what it is today without Arvantis his original background was greco roman wrestling, western boxing, french savate, and judo so basically he was mma before mma existed
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 10 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg triceps 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 10 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg triceps
    • Does "love" work? (Last post by Adi Vas)
    • In Jorge Luis Borges' short story The Immortal, a Roman soldier quests for and attains immortality. At first glance, it might seem as though he has received a most precious gift, but he soon finds that because immortality grants one the ability to (eventually) live all possible lives, it eliminates the preciousness of life. Borges argues that our finite nature, that we only have so many years with which to live, is what gives our life such meaning. I tend to think of love, compassion and kindness in a similar way. We live in a world where instinct often urges us to be brutal, cold and unfeeling in the name of survival. Though I see great beauty in it, our world is often capable of being a very ugly one. And in that context, when the whole world is saying "look out for yourself, do what you must just to survive, at any cost," to love and have great compassion is a remarkable thing - something that I find takes great strength. Certainly I would like to live in a world where everyone loved one another and did good by one another, but in such a world, our love would be mundane and normal, and not the extraordinary force it can be. So how do *I* cope with the "crappiness that exists in the world"? By loving my fellow living beings and doing my very best to do right by everyone I meet, and recognizing how powerful it is when I encounter that love myself. Because in our world, it really is a precious thing.
    • The Dark (Last post by InsaneMind)
    • Quote: Bienvenu au Temple ... :cheer: The poem makes sense, but I'm not sure if it makes the sense that you wrote into it ~ The "Darkness" is our own lassitude and folly ; it is the 'Otherness' that lets us envy and want, it is Ignorance, Opinion and Laziness. The "Darkness" does indeed consume, but from the inside>out, and that ... quite slowly and imperceptibly if we do not bring it a serious attention when it is still a pale Shadow. Unfortunately, by the time we realise it is growing - to the point that we write poetry (or philosophical essai) about it - it is no longer a 'pale Shadow'. We cannot get rid of it, for wanting to do so is part of its own desire for conquest -- in such a pursuit, the Darkness would win and thus be all there is ... ... but, we can listen to it, converse and hold discourse with it, and learn from it. After all, the Darkness isn't Evil. It is just there where the light has to bend to clarify. Moreover, it is only from its heart that we can distinguish that which is truly illuminated. Keep writing ... ;) Thank you Alexandre. I greatly appreciate your kind words of wisdom. Tonight is late and my wit has left me for today. I truthfully hope to talk to you, Edan, and the rest of the temple. Till tomorrow, thank you.
    • Higher Education (Last post by efuller18)
    • Just some advice from a current masters student who's in the process of applying to phd programs. At least in my field and most other fields that I know of your GRE scores are like the SAT scores of graduate school. Unless your field has a subject GRE test then it might be weighted more i.e. chemistry has a subject GRE test. They are more like a way of weeding people out since graduate schools receive far more applications then they can ever accept. They might make a small amount of difference for masters programs though, but not really for phd programs so much as long as you meet that programs minimum requirements. In most cases the general advice for getting into good phd programs is to get as much experience doing research as you can during your undergraduate program or masters program, have a great gpa here the standards of the school you went to really matters, and make sure you get fantastic letters of reference.
    • What kind of man or women are you towards Jediisme... (Last post by PatrickB)
    • streen seriously , Alien Alien Alien haaaaa There are Alien look in the sky a space ship :lol: And you can say being too . Things not so sure . But there are known on earth as alien's . I give you that on other planet they have probably other name like eee tatooine or corusquand or naboo or togruta or kachik or mooner's :blink: . Event we just speaking about having what it's take's for receiving the alien's or " things" or probably people how look like us streen but I dough it that they are things . Thing are object . And by the way who seriously believe if we have a job too do or not here don't want to waste my time me .
    • LuCrae's Question in Another Thread (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • Quote: I may not be popular in this regard, but I don't think the code is necessary. I very rarely think about it, preferring the creed myself. i think the code is backwards - it only makes sense once youve reached a point where youre able to translate it "there is no emotion, there is only peace" well when your dog eats your girl friend and runs off with your homework if you are anything like me then i think you are going to feel some emotion; my teacher didnt belive me and the cops didnt belive me and my parents were ashamed of me and all my SO CALLED friends laughed at me constantly certain experiences are just very difficult and "there is no emotion" would not have helped me maybe it has helped others, and if so i am glad i dont say it has NO value only that I personally think there are BETTER a code imo is supposed to give you direction in times of uncertainty i think this is a little better Emotion, yet peace. Ignorance, yet knowledge. Passion, yet serenity. Chaos, yet harmony. Death, yet the Force. at least i felt it does offer some reassurance and insight in life situations - BUT - like you say Eden, the CREED is better (in my opinion as well) HOWEVER! while the Creed is very good, is still not distinctly jedi (for those unfamiliar with "the prayer of st francis" www.catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=134) wherever it began, this does give a real direction in most any circumstance, which is what codes and creeds are for it seems reasonable that an integral part of the JEDI WAY is to develop ones own code based on ones current best understanding of what works that doesnt mean we can never "standardize" it just means that the movement is still young and HOW to "standardize" without simultaneously stifling personal freedom is a big concern (rightly so)
    • a question about the value of human life (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • mom had an arterial bypass of the femoral artery and it was tense for a while - its a surgery with some risk she is home now the recovery takes a while but shes doing good so far thanks :-) about dictionaries; obviously i cant prove this but it was a little more than 15 yrs ago when i settled myself on the definition that i use and i referenced quite a few dictionaries in the process and more than one had a definition for the word which was essentially the same as i use here also a google will still get the following a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance. "consumerism is the new religion" something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice. "natural religion" a religion validated on the basis of human reason and experience apart from miraculous or supernatural revelation; specifically : a religion that is universally discernible by all men through the use of human reason apart from any special revelation so there are dictionary precedents which offer enough interpretive freedom even now to make a case for the definition that i use also i think that it would elevate the quality of the discussion to free the word "religion" from the religious extremists i also think that once that happens, the perception that intellectual integrity requires one to completely separate oneself from any hint of religion will be lessened - which is good imo obviously i dont feel that religion and intelligence are mutually exclusive about this Gisteron: while it may be immediately beneficial to promote these ideas, there is always something dark about promoting things we don't know are indeed true; this is even more important when the promoted idea raises more questions than it answers. ---- i agree with this what i would say is that people look at "religion" and often see only the past - its not ENTIRELY INACCURATE to say that we are creating/generating/influecing or at least helping to create/generate/influence, contemporary religious thought RIGHT NOW every honest discussion that people have about the topic helps to do this, especially online if you think about it, totjo, the jedi movement, and other similar, budding movements, are on the cutting edge of the global religious development the ideas we come up with here WILL have significant cultural influence in the area of personal religious development, simply because of the intellectual and spiritual freedom and openness inherent to the jedi path now, i do belive that there are certain things which are "right" about being spiritually healthy and certain things which are "wrong" and that these have not changed much in the last 150-2000 thousand years - but its up to every generation to acknowledge these things and to promote them in its own language otherwise they stagnate into what many modern thinkers associate with the word "religion", namely crusades and jihads and superstitious ignorance i think its well enough established that we have to develop our own religions for ourselves in the course of our lives - but this doesnt really mean that we just make it up, rather that we have the experiences which open us up to the value of religious thought without latching on to them in a way that alters the path from one of personal growth into societal control but then also i think we DO have a responsibility, especially us personally as jedi, but also everyone who would stand at the forefront of thought in most any influential field, to be aware of the consequences of the ideas we promote to my way of thinking it is perfectly reasonable to advance a sort of "faithful optimism" about our value we dont have to claim certainty - but that not claiming certainty can go both ways and rather than being certain that we DONT have inherent value simply on the grounds that we havent proven otherwise, we can hold out on the idea that the puzzle is still bigger than our eyes and that it JUST MIGHT BE REALLY AWESOME in a way that can best be described as "divine" and that JUST THE POSSIBILITY that this is so is enough to convince us to take care of it a best as we can i think thats the best articulation im going to come up with of my view at the moment

There are 762 visitors, 9 guests and 37 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, Shadouness, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Karn, ren, Connor L., Adhara, Proteus, Xaii, Alexandre Orion, Calem, Llama Su, Kamizu, LuCrae Jiddu, Edan, Radar6590, Aqua, GalUnDrux, Exarchias, Culla, Rocda, den385, Tk768, Hitira38, Atticus509, TheDude, Krieger, WayneTec, Protonix, Adi Vas, Blind, PH753, Stroke, Zander, theta, Elephrank, kaay.

Follow Us