Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN??

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 11:20 #46481

Learn_to_Know wrote:
However, I'm not ready to subscribe to the idea that Jedi should have children. There is much that a Jedi can do in their service and compassion to others that doesn't have to involve raising their own. Perhaps even seeking out those children that are in a less fortunate position and helping them in some way?

As a matter of semantics, should and must are not the same. Jedi should have children but not all have the capacity or capability at this time in their life. I would also point out that working with any child is a form of parenting. If you have a desire to help other children that is wonderful. As a past PTA member I worked with many children in the school. I was also a Scout Master for several years.

In any one of these cases, you are raising children, you just are not paying for their cloths so to speak. Your influence on a child has an effect on them that lasts a lifetime. I have children I worked with 10 years ago saying hi to me in the grocery store. I wish I could remember all their names. They remember me because of the time I took to teach them how to read, or make paper, or chalk. I, in a very real sense, took an active part in raising that child.

So...raise your own or raise others? Either way be a positive role model!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentices: Mathew Erickson & Jedi_Roz

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 12:16 #46484

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
Sapadu wrote:
'HAH!' Kendalina guffawed. Immediately, Jack should have known the Vader quote would upset her, 'Redemption for killing, what, THOUSANDS of people, just because he got that stupid b**** senator from Naboo knocked up and she popped out TWO kids? How is that redeeming in the SLIGHTEST?'

"Kendalina, you're not helping your case when I try to defend you as a pro-feminist model." Jack mumbled.

'No, I'm serious. The mother is the one who did all the work, Vader didn't play ANY role in how they grew up -- what with never BEING there or even being AWARE the children had been born or survived -- and he didn't get his head out of his @$$ until the very last second.' Kendalina fumed. Triclops didn't say a word, merely sitting by and knitting, 'And your children being the best of you? KARK THAT! That's just lazy, relying on a kid to justify your existence. You should be a good person on your OWN! Lookit Jango Fett! Having Boba Fett didn't redeem him. Or the Emperor for that matter -- 'cuz, y'know, HE was such a great person because of Trike!'

'The Emperor didn't have kids!' Interrupted Kakeru, in a very Star Trek-not-knowing-Star-Wars-lore sort of voice.

'Sure he did -- but it was in cloning experiments kinda like the Jango/Boba Fett crossed with Frankenstein way.' James snapped back, fanboy to the core. Tired of the argument, Triclops sighed.

'Maybe the real lesson is Vader's ability to love.' It certainly shut everyone up, 'He turned to the Dark Side because the obsessive, violent part of his love for his wife turned into possessiveness. What redeems him is the fact that he loves his son enough to save that son.'

"I like her passion, but I think we disagree on the word redeem," LTK said quietly.

His Force Conscience paused momentarily before prompting softly, "What does redeem mean to you?"

LTK contemplated carefully, debating within himself how to best phrase it. Not being entirely sure of his choice of words, he proceeded cautiously.

"I look at redeem in this scenario with Vader as simply a desire to not repeat the same mistakes again." LTK paused a moment, feeling like he wasn't being as clear as he desired. "He finally turned his back on the darkness, and it was because of the suffering of his son, what he was witnessing that spurred him on. His child may not have redeemed him from his past evils, but he certainly effected a huge change on Vader as he turned against the embodiment of evil. That is kind of like redemption, isn't?"

His Force Conscience nodded sagely, but was somewhat disappointed at LTK's struggling to explain a concept that should be clear and concise. "What about her comment about using a kid to justify your existence. I believe she said you should be a good person on your own, not just because you have a kid."

LTK quickly replied, "I agree with her there. We should be a good person on our own. To have to rely on children to be good would be an attachment a Jedi shouldn't have."

His Force Conscience smiled delightedly. "She is definitely right. And you are on your way to understanding this, possibly as well as she already does. But one thing shouldn't be forgotten: understand that you should be a good person on your own, you should strive to be an even better person when guarding and training a light that comes from the Force."
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 14:41 #46488

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
I must say I like the question a lot. I agree with Phortis Nespin on this as far as the answer. I would love to have children and plan to when I find the right man to have them with. Now, aside from work, I have taught kids, mentored, and other things. It's so important to be a positive role model.

As for redeeming, that's an interesting point. Can that act of saving his son redeem Vader? Well, acording to some religions, yes. In Islam, I believe Muhammad said that if you do a bad deed followed by a good deed, the good deed will wipe out the bad one. In Christianity, Jesus' sacrifice redeems any who accept him and repent. Is everyone redeemed by their children, no. I think perhaps Vader was. Honestly, their mother didn't do all the work. She had the children and died. They were each raised by different people. It is a testament to Anakin Skywalker that even after he became Darth Vader and didn't know his kids, he still saved Luke's life and, ultimately, sacrificed his own.
Leena
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 23:20 #46494

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
i say, let things happen as they must... if one is meant to have children it will happen (whether they plan to or not). whether we have children or not we should still provide a positive rolemodel to all(adult and children alike).
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:24 #46495

I have 3 daughters and a gran daughter, they are my life!!!

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:59 #46496

I have three fantastic children, I can't think of life without them now.

When my 1st one was on the way I was so very worried as I was not sure I was ready to be a dad, but when are we ever ready ???

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 16:33 #46502

I don't really agree with Lucas that the point of life is having children- that's what a virus does, not more complex living things. We are more than our children.

However, I am a father myself, and can see the arguments for and against it in my own experiences. Parenting is a valuable teaching experience, and can be a great joy and fulfillment. However, your own body and mind does attempt to betray you and cause you to instinctively center on them. It has proven genetically valuable, but may not be the wisest course of action for a Jedi.

Through application of will, I have gotten to a place where I love my children, but feel no attachment to them, and do not revolve my life around them. Not many parents do all three of those things.

Saying Jedi should have children is something of a loaded statement to something that has advantages and disadvantages. I would say Jedi should be allowed to have children.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Fear Leads to Anger... (Last post by steamboat28)
    • I, personally, think it's very well established at this point that every Jedi teacher in the film canon was the absolute perfect Hermit archetypes, complete with selfish, dangerous behavior hidden with "sage wisdom." Jedi are freakin' jerks in the films.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Desolous)
    • bunch of tricep dips, pullups, upper back rows, roman chair situps, ropes, push a heavy sled around, situps.
    • Thanksgiving Origins- Does it Matter? (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • Quote: Yes, European settlers did bad things to the natives of this land, and visa-versa, but that is the nature of this world - we are a conquering species. You don't see the gazelle suing the lions for reparations. As my master says "deep breath" I have thought a lot about this exact quote the last day. I'm not going to deny that tribal groups could certainly be very viscous to each other, and yes we are a conquering species, but there is still a difference between living in harmony in a world for 10,000+ years and destroying it in less than 400. Tribes are suing not because they hate lions it's because the USA murdered, raped, and pillaged their way through the entire US. Trails of broken treaties and lies are what the blood of millions of innocent lives were strained through as America became a country. They were given rights promised them in their treaties for the land that was stolen from them despite everything they did to prevent it. Those rights are guaranteed to them to help them as a people and the U.S. continues policies that are damaging and downright murderous to those who are left. They are not begging for scraps or anything of the like, they are asking for what has been promised them so we can all shop at Walmart. Things that have happened have been terrible. Many people with tribal backgrounds are still trying to heal many thousands of wounds. A bit of cultural sensitivity to that is all we are asking. My grandmother went through the Assimilation Period, it was something that stayed with her her entire life. She was taken from her family in North Dakota and adopted to a white family in Missouri, forced to to go school beaten for speaking her language, etc. That's in my family history, many of us have similar ones. It's a sharp reminder of the "conquerors". Yes let us remember what Thanksgiving was, however let us also take a day to be thankful for life around us and the blessings we do have, because some people, even gazelles are not so fortunate. Okay breathe...
    • Conscription - Draft (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • I have always said I thought two years of service would be excellent for majority of 18 year olds today. Most have no idea what the real world is about and thought it would be a good building block for a lot of people. I had never thought about the comments of people not wanting to join and how you in the military wouldn't want them in beside you. Thank you for saying that, I had never considered that. I'm from a military family, and even tried to join myself but was denied due to too many bonks on the head. Seriously it was because of my extensive injuries by the time I was 18. So perhaps instead something like the CC? Places where people would be of value, help our communities and grow themselves, take pride in their area, and their country and learn to value everything around them, just not bitch on Facebook all day. Thank you for a great discussion, it has been eye opening.
    • The Role of Logic (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: I used to find the vast majority of people relatively illogical but this opinion changed for me when I started to study Myer Briggs personality types. I'm an Analyst personality so I deal in cold hard unemotional facts and draw conclusion from them. This is why the vast majority of other personality types seem to be illogical to me. It was this bias that turned out to be my biggest obstacle when trying to understand other people's logic. Myer Briggs is all about preferences. No preference is greater than another so no personality type is greater than another. People that seemed illogical to me simply had different preferences for information gathering and decision making. What was obvious to one was not obvious to the other given the same information. After learning the strengths of the different preferences and personalities I discovered that my own logic was flawed far more than I imagined and what seems like utterly illogical thought was far more logical than I could have ever believed. It became truly humbling to see personalities constantly make the right logical choices without any conscious analysis or logical process that they could recount. Do I still find some people illogical? Yes I do but in general people are far more logical and predicable than I ever imagined. This thread isn't about logic as a preferential thought process or subjective idea. It's about Logic, the study and science of valid reasoning. Logic, the study, the science of what makes reasoning valid or invalid, transcends personality types and can be taught to anyone who is neurotypical in regards to having functioning reasoning capacity.
    • School of Life Short lessons (Last post by Vusuki)
    • Why some countries are poor and others rich. Are we not lucky to be where we are? It sucks a little less thinking about your country when one knows that there's someone else in a much more corrupt country that suffers more than you...
    • A Jedi Career choice: making a living thats helps ... (Last post by ChaosMerdy)
    • I have to say I agree with steamboat. I went to school to be a teacher, but when the only option to ply my trade was to work for a Catholic school, I politely declined and sought my career elsewhere. My reason for this is that I do not believe in indoctrinating young people. I feel like students should be given the chance to discover their own paths, and if I had taken a job as a teacher in such a school, I would be essentially doing harm to the development of future members of humanity. It has nothing to do with disrespect for Catholics but rather my overabundance of respect for critical thinking. This led me to work in sales and management at a local telecom company where I work while I also pursue my two loves; creative writing and technology. I too write prolifically and am currently working on my CompTIA A+ Technician certification so that I can get into a field I love, where I'll be helping others and doing something I enjoy. I do believe in the ideal of striving to live a moral and ethical life; Buddhism led me to being a Jedi in part, and right livelihood is one of the steps on the Noble Eightfold Path. Sometimes, however, pragmatic realities force us to work at jobs that may be morally questionable. In my opinion there are two important things to remember in such cases: 1) you can exert a moral power over your work (as a salesman, I strive to be an ethical one and look out for my customers and only sell them things they need while not taking advantage), and 2) you are no more defined by your job than anyone else. Other things can and should be your passions on the side, and these are the things you should pursue with fervor. I hope this helps and may the Force be with you! :)
    • What do you worship? (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • Wow that was very powerful. Learn to ask the right question, exactly this. Thank you so much for sharing.
    • Should Jedi carry weapons? (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: I believe firearms are quite simply a tool of killing and destruction so it should be our greatest desire to avoid their use. To quote the great American philosopher Ronnie van Zant, "Handguns are made for killin', they ain't no good for nothin' else." That puts them up there wtih swords (which so many people worship and idealize and romanticize) as the only two weapons ever created solely to end human life. Every other weapon humans use has another purpose, including other firearms. So, guns are the swords of this era, and if one is willing to glorify the carry of a smallsword, rapier, or basket-hilt and not the carry of a handgun, they need to look after their cognitive dissonance. Quote: There is an issue though with somewhere such as the USA where gun ownership is so high that trying to collect all civilian fire arms in the first place would be dam near impossible and for several years would certainly at least cause serious worry and unrest. No, not "serious unrest." A second civil war, at best. A complete revolution at worst. Anyone who even suggests that rounding up all the guns in America from law-abiding citizens is even remotely possible, even over a long period of time, has (as I told another Jedi) a certain level of ignorance about America and her culture. Quote: If you choose to carry though you must make sure you do everything you can to not use lethal force and keep a hold of your emotions to ensure you never fire in fear. For that is when mistakes are made and innocent people are killed. This is the most important rule of carry, and it's something that is taught very, very young in my country (and my locality) among families with a generational history of firearm ownership. ----- Quote: I've never had to physically use it on anyone but I have had to brandish it ones or twice ... No offense, but that is a very, very effective way to get yourself killed quickly. I know a lot of you think I blow smoke about a lot of things. You think I argue too much, or I start trouble here, or I stir the pot, or I think too highly of intellectual reasoning and logic, or you don't like that I think "Words Mean Things", but if you never ever ever ever ever listen to me any other time, if you only choose one thing I say to believe, please let it be this: NEVER DRAW A WEAPON YOU WILL NOT IMMEDIATELY USE. Ever. If you "brandish" a weapon instead of using it immediately, it shows that you have both a great fear of the attacker and a fundamental misunderstanding of how animal combat works, and you will. be. sorry. It may work for you once or twice, but eventually it will get you shot, stabbed, strangled, or otherwise released from your mortal coil. Do. Not. Brandish. Weapons. unless you are prepared for the possibility that someone may die as a result of your actions.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Proteus)
    • As much as my patience is constantly tested by them, I am grateful to have a neighbor who helps me get certain important things done. For that, I do my best to set aside my differences. Not dependence... Interdependence.

There are 607 visitors, 4 guests and 34 members online (none in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, steamboat28, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Connor L., Adhara, Desolous, Proteus, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Elemental Harmony, Clone_Warrior, Llama Su, Kamizu, Kohadre, Edan, microft, Zenchi, a67, Frost, Jamie Stick, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, porkapon763, Revan Falton, Exarchias, Cyan Sarden, den385, RaB, Dragonspeakerz, almosteasy69, a.wolfe, Aoshiemma.

Follow Us