Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN??

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 11:20 #46481

Learn_to_Know wrote:
However, I'm not ready to subscribe to the idea that Jedi should have children. There is much that a Jedi can do in their service and compassion to others that doesn't have to involve raising their own. Perhaps even seeking out those children that are in a less fortunate position and helping them in some way?

As a matter of semantics, should and must are not the same. Jedi should have children but not all have the capacity or capability at this time in their life. I would also point out that working with any child is a form of parenting. If you have a desire to help other children that is wonderful. As a past PTA member I worked with many children in the school. I was also a Scout Master for several years.

In any one of these cases, you are raising children, you just are not paying for their cloths so to speak. Your influence on a child has an effect on them that lasts a lifetime. I have children I worked with 10 years ago saying hi to me in the grocery store. I wish I could remember all their names. They remember me because of the time I took to teach them how to read, or make paper, or chalk. I, in a very real sense, took an active part in raising that child.

So...raise your own or raise others? Either way be a positive role model!
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentices: Jedi_Roz

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK, Desolous

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 12:16 #46484

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
Sapadu wrote:
'HAH!' Kendalina guffawed. Immediately, Jack should have known the Vader quote would upset her, 'Redemption for killing, what, THOUSANDS of people, just because he got that stupid b**** senator from Naboo knocked up and she popped out TWO kids? How is that redeeming in the SLIGHTEST?'

"Kendalina, you're not helping your case when I try to defend you as a pro-feminist model." Jack mumbled.

'No, I'm serious. The mother is the one who did all the work, Vader didn't play ANY role in how they grew up -- what with never BEING there or even being AWARE the children had been born or survived -- and he didn't get his head out of his @$$ until the very last second.' Kendalina fumed. Triclops didn't say a word, merely sitting by and knitting, 'And your children being the best of you? KARK THAT! That's just lazy, relying on a kid to justify your existence. You should be a good person on your OWN! Lookit Jango Fett! Having Boba Fett didn't redeem him. Or the Emperor for that matter -- 'cuz, y'know, HE was such a great person because of Trike!'

'The Emperor didn't have kids!' Interrupted Kakeru, in a very Star Trek-not-knowing-Star-Wars-lore sort of voice.

'Sure he did -- but it was in cloning experiments kinda like the Jango/Boba Fett crossed with Frankenstein way.' James snapped back, fanboy to the core. Tired of the argument, Triclops sighed.

'Maybe the real lesson is Vader's ability to love.' It certainly shut everyone up, 'He turned to the Dark Side because the obsessive, violent part of his love for his wife turned into possessiveness. What redeems him is the fact that he loves his son enough to save that son.'

"I like her passion, but I think we disagree on the word redeem," LTK said quietly.

His Force Conscience paused momentarily before prompting softly, "What does redeem mean to you?"

LTK contemplated carefully, debating within himself how to best phrase it. Not being entirely sure of his choice of words, he proceeded cautiously.

"I look at redeem in this scenario with Vader as simply a desire to not repeat the same mistakes again." LTK paused a moment, feeling like he wasn't being as clear as he desired. "He finally turned his back on the darkness, and it was because of the suffering of his son, what he was witnessing that spurred him on. His child may not have redeemed him from his past evils, but he certainly effected a huge change on Vader as he turned against the embodiment of evil. That is kind of like redemption, isn't?"

His Force Conscience nodded sagely, but was somewhat disappointed at LTK's struggling to explain a concept that should be clear and concise. "What about her comment about using a kid to justify your existence. I believe she said you should be a good person on your own, not just because you have a kid."

LTK quickly replied, "I agree with her there. We should be a good person on our own. To have to rely on children to be good would be an attachment a Jedi shouldn't have."

His Force Conscience smiled delightedly. "She is definitely right. And you are on your way to understanding this, possibly as well as she already does. But one thing shouldn't be forgotten: understand that you should be a good person on your own, you should strive to be an even better person when guarding and training a light that comes from the Force."
Master: Jestor
Apprentice: Psyddhattha
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 14:41 #46488

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
I must say I like the question a lot. I agree with Phortis Nespin on this as far as the answer. I would love to have children and plan to when I find the right man to have them with. Now, aside from work, I have taught kids, mentored, and other things. It's so important to be a positive role model.

As for redeeming, that's an interesting point. Can that act of saving his son redeem Vader? Well, acording to some religions, yes. In Islam, I believe Muhammad said that if you do a bad deed followed by a good deed, the good deed will wipe out the bad one. In Christianity, Jesus' sacrifice redeems any who accept him and repent. Is everyone redeemed by their children, no. I think perhaps Vader was. Honestly, their mother didn't do all the work. She had the children and died. They were each raised by different people. It is a testament to Anakin Skywalker that even after he became Darth Vader and didn't know his kids, he still saved Luke's life and, ultimately, sacrificed his own.
Leena
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 23 Dec 2011 23:20 #46494

• RyuJin
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 3037
i say, let things happen as they must... if one is meant to have children it will happen (whether they plan to or not). whether we have children or not we should still provide a positive rolemodel to all(adult and children alike).
I do not need a cloak of darkness, I am darkness and I am light. I am both because the universe is both.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

J.l.lawson, knight, b.div, o.c.p
Intake officer, Eastern Studies S.I.G advisor
Former masters: GM KanaSeikoHaruki, Br.John
Current apprentices: Kalkho, Raikoutenshi, Zenchi, Jacen Solo(on hiatus)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LTK

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:24 #46495

I have 3 daughters and a gran daughter, they are my life!!!

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 03:59 #46496

I have three fantastic children, I can't think of life without them now.

When my 1st one was on the way I was so very worried as I was not sure I was ready to be a dad, but when are we ever ready ???

Re: Should Jedi (when of age) have CHILDREN?? 24 Dec 2011 16:33 #46502

I don't really agree with Lucas that the point of life is having children- that's what a virus does, not more complex living things. We are more than our children.

However, I am a father myself, and can see the arguments for and against it in my own experiences. Parenting is a valuable teaching experience, and can be a great joy and fulfillment. However, your own body and mind does attempt to betray you and cause you to instinctively center on them. It has proven genetically valuable, but may not be the wisest course of action for a Jedi.

Through application of will, I have gotten to a place where I love my children, but feel no attachment to them, and do not revolve my life around them. Not many parents do all three of those things.

Saying Jedi should have children is something of a loaded statement to something that has advantages and disadvantages. I would say Jedi should be allowed to have children.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Charity Coding (Last post by Connor L.)
    • No but we totally should! I really want to learn how to code... I should make that my new year's resolution!
    • The Force Explained (Last post by Hitira38)
    • When you create the mind as internal and the rest of the world as external, you has disconnected yourself from your environment, as it is the starting point of dysfunctional labeling.
    • Ethics of the Jedi Mind Trick (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: we can't eliminate manipulation. In any interaction between two or more people, there will be some sort of manipulation, even if a minimal one. Its inherent in human psychology. What counts is the motivation and the end result. My wife will use subtle positive manipulation to get me to do chores around he house i'd rather not do. I view that as not a bad thing. My son in law lacks subtle means of manipulation. He will use yelling and other intimidation to exercise dominance over my daughter simply to satisfy his need to dominate his environment. I consider that to be an evil form of manipulation because it has selfish intent and harms the other person's self esteem. I still don't think motivation is a good enough reason... you're right, we can't eliminate manipulation entirely, but when a person is purposely manipulative... their good intentions might not be what I believe to be good or right. I don't believe the end justifies the means.
    • The Lady of the Night and Jediism. (Last post by Hitira38)
    • I do believe that "there is no death, there is force" refers to the grand scheme of things. As there isn't death but the lack of force, there isn't emotions but peace of conflict. It is taking about the very direction of life on a time and space fabric. In the force.
    • "Not all Truth is true..." (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: I left the faith because its deity requires the murder of many millions of gays and adulterers as a part of his worship. I don't think this is to do with the deity... I think it is more down to the people that believe in the deity and how they act. There are enough conflicting comments in the bible to satisfy the ideas of anyone.
    • Advice needed: how to shut up. (Last post by Hitira38)
    • Surly you understand why you acted the way you did. With this in mind it is important to move past it, one shouldn't dwell on the past for too long.
    • Merry Yule!!! (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • The following is a pretty good article on Yule. :) www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk/the_wheel_of_t..._winter_solstice.asp I pray that you find the hope, love and care that this holiday is meant to inspire. *hugs* If you get a chance, I'd love to hear what you did for this year's Yule celebration ^^
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: :angry: :angry: :angry: I'm not very pissed off today ... :angry: :angry: :angry: Hang on... are you ranting because you're not angry? No, I'm still angry ... just not as much. :unsure: Ah... please, rant away then
    • Grey Jedi Code Anyone? (Last post by den385)
    • Logically, white-hat and grey-hat do the same when the world is shifted towards dark. Isn't this the current state?
    • The 'Real Me' (Last post by den385)
    • I think, by 'real me' it's helpful to define the motivation behind decisions that shaped person's character. That is why to know someone is impossible without compassion.
    • Korra and Spirituality (Last post by den385)
    • Hey! Amazed how things coincide. Only this friday and yesterday I've been watching season 4. Maybe it's funny, but it helped me with some things I'm going through. Actually, the episodes S04E01-03 helped, when *SPOILER!* Korra is disabled and out-of-the-game. Then it became more like an ordinary good story, it stopped talking to me on me-related-stuff. It's incredible that tv can actually guide you through some stuff, isn't it? Like Ariadne's thread, Campbell spoke of.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • Vacations in Germany 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 5 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 20 x 3 x (2 hands) 5 kg biceps
    • Avatar Discussion (Episode 1, TLA) (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Quote: "Why don't you enjoy a cup of calming Jasmine tea?" "I don't need any calming tea!" Here we see the beginning of Iroh's wisdom and the foil to Zuko's determination. Zuko has been long searching for the Avatar. I want to make these discussions work with the timeline, so let's not assume we know WHY he's looking for the Avatar other than that he's attempting to regain his honor. Iroh, a seemingly worldly man, tries very hard to give Zuko a way to relax and accept his current position. We talk about this so much with the Tao and the Force. Living "in" the moment is a staple saying of new age Westerners. We like to think that staying present and grounded is a healing property for our lives as it reduces the stresses of the future and the nightmares of the past. Iroh sees Zuko troubled by both so his motivations are clear and consistent with how a Jedi Master might advise his hot headed apprentice. Let's discuss the benefits of living Iroh's way. Relaxed, content with tea and Pai Sho paisho.pbworks.com/w/page/11167060/FrontPage, we can see that Iroh is well-adjusted, even in his retired status. Little do we know, right now, the depth of Iroh's wisdom. Let's not spoil that journey yet! Parallel to the Monomyth: Quote: "No, I didn't know him. I mean... I knew people that knew him.." Aang refuses the call in this episode. He spends his whole time trying to get away from his responsibilities as an Avatar. We will find out later why this is. But, for now, let's discuss what it means to refuse the call. What could Aang do right now to change his position? Wisdom = ADD? Quote: "But first, I need to finish my roast duck!" "PENGUINS!!!!" I just thought this was funny. You see it as a trope in many movies showing off "wise" characters. Oftentimes, they are silly and a little attention deficit disorder. Thoughts on why this might be? Quote: "If you want to be a Bender, you have to let go of fear."
    • Rape Culture (Last post by Star Forge)
    • Quote: Quote: I would just offer that the US is a mostly Christian country, so it is not an American thing, but a Christian doctrine which is prevalent in the US due to religious majority. ? Jews do it for religious reasons, as do muslims. Wherever they may live, whichever nationality they may hold. In north america, you guys do it because the holistic enema-loving masturbation-hating vegetarian guy who invented corn flakes told your great grand parents they should. He failed to produce any offspring and was chucked out of his church. There are far more christians outside the US than within it, and they do not practise male genital mutilation. In the US it has to do with national culture, not religion. The majority of those who practise it there merely happen to be christian. The bulk of christianity today sees its roots in ancient europe, and the ancient europeans found circumcision abominable. Only very few christians (with african roots) pratice it religiously. Quote: The question I pose is this... Do you think that the proliferation of violent games, the use of sex in advertising, the long overdue acceptance of gay and lesbian relations, the isolation and disconnect of people caused by the internet and other social media, has in any way affected the increase in rape crimes based on feelings of desperation, perceived empowerment, manipulation of the opposite sex or same sex? Could this be a reason for Rape Cultures? If statistics on this were in anyway not completely made up, i'd say gender equality is to blame. Just compare sweden with the united arab emirates. To be fair, though, I am sure there are some Christian Zionists who look highly upon it due to their EXTREME Philo-Semitism. Circumcision pisses me off, but can you imagine the uproar if we ever got it banned here? "Dose anti-Semitic BASTIDS!!!!!"

There are 254 visitors, 7 guests and 24 members online (2  in chat): Zanthan Storm, Firewolf, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Nakis, Connor L., Adhara, Gisteron, Proteus, Llama Su, elizabeth, cpjh, Edan, Silvermane, shane thames, B_Ritter, taidavrikaurvan, Revan Falton, Rocda, Gregory, MrBruno, Stormhunter, Darling Harbour, Hitira38, marco, Everett, Esper, Jihad, ParCandroon.

Follow Us