wikipedia

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:14 #44016

I noticed that the Wikipedia information on Jediism is very scant and insufficient, I think someone should add more information. I still am not able to do it well (my writing is chaotic, my English is my third language only, and I don't trust google translate entirely :), so I ask (only humbly asking the question) if someone will be willing to take over this task in the interest of the community?

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:41 #44017

If people want to know more about us, they can find information on this site. We don't have any affiliation with Wikipedia, I believe.

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:51 #44018

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The article on Jediism at Wikipedia is horrible. In theory anyone can edit it but navigating through all their incredible rules is somewhat more difficult than levitating a car with The Force.

So many people have attempted to make it a good article. For awhile, not too long back, it was getting better.

Now it's almost worse than having no article at all.

I've come to realize that until there are actual published books about Jediism written by real Jedi we going to get nowhere with Wikipedia. Once there are references to point too we'll have a fighting chance.

Go to the article and look at how the page was at various times in the past and you'll see what I mean.
Founder of The Order

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 16:25 #44033

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ID: 4418
We need to check the rules on primary sources, as they make more sense than secondary ones on religion articles. (in fact other religion articles use primary sources a lot).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PSTS#Pri...and_tertiary_sources

Could be good to check with wikiproject religion and NRMs as to what their policies are, if they give a green light, admins shouldn't complain and we would be able to easily revert any edits which dont comply with the policies (and therefore ruin the article).

I'd like to point out that technically, discussing the editing of articles outside wikipedia is against the rules.
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 18:09 #44034

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
We are not "discussing editing", other than to say it needs done....

But you can't tell me other people don't do it... lol...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Re: wikipedia 01 Nov 2011 04:08 #44044

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ID: 4418
I don't care about the rule, what I care about is not being caught as it would be highly counterproductive.

Just a reminder that if you add a link to totjo on that wiki page, you should first make sure this thread doesn't appear in the latest posts...
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Physical TOTJO Temple in Texas Project (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: The "thinking" definition seems rather limited tzb. There is imo far more thinking to do than problem solving. I guess when I use "worry" i mean, "think about something i care about being harmed in some way", whilst to me thinking could be "I wonder what the universe is made out of" sort of thing. How about concern? I'm sorry to do this, and it could break down to language differences, but generally, "worry" is seen as a fear of future results/actions... Concern/consideration is, to me, more what you are meaning...:unsure:... Quote: Akkarin I guess i meant "worry" in a stronger, more general way, not specific to anypotential splits (i don't think there's a way to predict/prevent that to be honest). But at the same time, I think people tend to make rash decisions... I can certainly think of a few instances since I resigned from my offices here where I thought things hadn't been thought through properly... Sure... And looking back, we can too, andcee will.learn from those decisions ... People do make rash decisions, and any decision made without all information will seem rash... Seriously, I think your resignation was rash, and done in haste.... Looking back, when we have more information, we can say that of almost anything... But, when you think you know all you can, or a decision is needed (or felt to be needed) NOW, then we make our decisions, and adjust as necessary... Quote: I guess I am "worried" about the whole "think in the now" train of thought. There is no point in this. What happens now is necessarily the result of the past, and this can't be changed. Whilst spending your "now" time thinking about what will happen in the future means you base your near-future actions on what its future implications will be (based on lessons from the past). Sure that means you are waisting time that could be spent doing other things right now.... But I just don't see a point in doing this without a particular future goal to reach. The value of any action now is what it actually achieves later, and not the intention behind it. You can't "think" anywhere BUT the now, its where you are... We can consider the past, of course... We can consider the possible future(s)... But a decision can only be made in the NOW.... You will make a decision NOW to steer toward the (one of an infinite number of) future, by basing it on past events, and current knowledge... Right?
    • Critical Thinking! (Last post by Connor L.)
    • www.schoolofthought.org/ Check out the ted talk. Critical thinking is one of the most important things we could possibly do. :lol: Let's increase some knowledge! Feel free to talk about the video above, the website's resources, or provide your own resources for critical thought.
    • Be water, my friend (Last post by Arkayik)
    • The Silent Flute, or as it was released, The Circle of Iron, was a wonderful movie with a few not so wonderful bits... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Iron I don't know the extent to which Bruce Lee wrote it, but its different in a mostly interesting way...
    • Here and Now (Last post by Arkayik)
    • One of my main meditation practices is "awareness" meditation (just follow each exhaled-breath). I'm trying to get better at "live in the moment", but it's and on-going challenge! I do tend to over-think things - what might happen - instead of just go with the flow... What grounds you to this moment? What insights have you found helpful to enjoy this moment. I often think of Rafiki from "the Lion King" and his joke about the past and present... “Life is a preparation for the future; and the best preparation for the future is to live as if there were none.” ― Albert Einstein
    • Conquering fear (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Quote: The code and the Doctrine state that fear can be conquered through faith in the Force. But how is it applied? It depends on the individual. All I can say is what it is for me. As one who has fought with anxiety and fear for as long as I can remember, I've come to understand a bit about it. I recently had a lesson on fear and I started it with this quote: Quote: I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain -Litany Against Fear (Dune by Frank Herbert) For me, conquering fear isn't about NOT fearing at all, simply not letting it rule me. Meditating to get over an active fear hasn't worked too well for me...it HELPS, it took the edge off, but I have trouble settling down during a panic attack. Meditating ON my fear brought a different result. I was approached by several Shamans who told me this: Quote: “Fear in itself is a healthy thing. It is what keeps the lion safe while hunting. But if the lion fears injury so much that she will not even go out to the hunt, she will die anyways. Fear is to be befriended and understood. Respected. He has the capabilities to keep you safe. But fear is fickle, and he likes to play tricks. And if he finds he can get away with it, he’ll control you. Befriend him, know him, understand him, love him, and he will help you.”
    • Holy Place (Last post by Senan)
    • I have always found it fascinating that throughout history there have always been people who seek to preserve the written word. The Greeks worked hard to collect all that was written by the Egyptians, and then the Romans worked to collect everything written by Greeks. Alexander The Great sought to collect every single book every written, and during his time he had the most extensive collection ever assembled. Celtic monks worked to preserve every book they could find during the Dark Ages by copying them word for word by hand. The dedication to preserving the written word speaks to the importance of preserving knowledge. It is also interesting that throughout history those who seek power and control over others often destroy the written word or restrict access to it. Why does the Vatican or the CIA keep information away from public view? Why did the Nazis burn books? Knowledge is power, and keeping the populace as a whole in the dark is an effective way to manipulate them. Literacy rates are an important indicator of both sophistication and level of equality in a society, and I believe libraries, whether brick and mortar buildings or electronic, are crucial to promoting literacy. Free and uncensored collections of knowledge should be a focal point of any civilized society. As a group seeking knowledge and wisdom and placing value in constant education, libraries should certainly hold a special place in the heart of any Jedi.
    • Jediism vs Jedi Realist (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • I think Rosalyn nailed it a few pages ago. Myself, I have never used the term Jediist. I just refer to the Path and i walk it as best as I am able. It strikes me as a question if emphasis, of how one sees the path in front if them. I think those differences are valuable. I think harping on them is worse than a waste of time. I am glad we have different groups. I am glad we have people that move freely between them. My sense is that to get too hung up on the variety of approaches to being a Jedi, the rightness of this one over that one, is not very Jedi. You might just be a Jerki.
    • Amen - and its possible "origin"? (Last post by steamboat28)
    • The hour has passed and I cannot edit my post directly, but I misspoke in one section of it. Quote: This is evidenced, at least in my mind, in that Arabic and Hebrew share their exonym of Egypt (tranliteratred as Mitzráyim in the former and Miṣr in the latter) should actually read: Quote: This is evidenced, at least in my mind, in that Arabic and Hebrew share their exonym of Egypt (tranliteratred as Mitzráyim in the latter and Miṣr in the former)
    • Live Service - Saturday 1st November 2014 at 20:00... (Last post by Tarran)
    • Quote: In North America, 20h00UTC is: * PST: 13h00 (1pm) * MST: 14h00 (2pm) * CST: 15h00 (3pm) * EST: 16h00 (4pm) * AST: 17h00 (5pm) * NST: 17h30 (530pm) If your area doesn't do Daylight Savings, this might be wrong (ie. Phoenix...)... Thanks! That helps out well, actually... so that means it will be 5 a.m. on Sunday morning, here in Nagoya... meh, it's a good enough reason for me! I'll set my alarm! :D
    • Antares Launch Failure (Last post by Adder)
    • Quote: I remember being late for work watching the last Mars landing, this one will be absolutely mind-blowing if they manage it! blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/10/29/cometwatch-26-october/ Seen this yet!? Nice way to advertise the mission, looks like they are using 'the Force' :woohoo: :side: I posted it on the wall yesterday, but couldnt resist posting it again here
    • Tattoos and Jedi? (Last post by den385)
    • I've made 4 tattoos and stopped - for that was the plan. It's the ~Phoenix-in-the-sun sigil from the SW on the left shoulder, then a sigil I carefully made up myself to represent the idea of the Prometheus fire on the right shoulder and two small encoded-text tattoos on wrists. Something like trigger-words for quick meditation.

There are 236 visitors, 12 guests and 36 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Shadouness, Jestor, ren, Kitsu Tails, Nakis, Connor L., Brian, Learn_To_Know, discordor, Proteus, rugadd, Angelus Kalen, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, tzb, Senan, babyblueyes247, Pyrus Erath, benedictveritas, carlos.martinez3, Calanon, Goken, Targeran Arynal, Revan Falton, GalUnDrux, Json, Moraljon14, Kumbricia, Andrew Miller, Rocda, Cyan Sarden, Tex, ThorlakurThor, Arkayik, ChrisPeppas, wargarble, levelupbilly.

Follow Us