wikipedia

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:14 #44016

I noticed that the Wikipedia information on Jediism is very scant and insufficient, I think someone should add more information. I still am not able to do it well (my writing is chaotic, my English is my third language only, and I don't trust google translate entirely :), so I ask (only humbly asking the question) if someone will be willing to take over this task in the interest of the community?

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:41 #44017

• Angelus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 1783
If people want to know more about us, they can find information on this site. We don't have any affiliation with Wikipedia, I believe.

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:51 #44018

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The article on Jediism at Wikipedia is horrible. In theory anyone can edit it but navigating through all their incredible rules is somewhat more difficult than levitating a car with The Force.

So many people have attempted to make it a good article. For awhile, not too long back, it was getting better.

Now it's almost worse than having no article at all.

I've come to realize that until there are actual published books about Jediism written by real Jedi we going to get nowhere with Wikipedia. Once there are references to point too we'll have a fighting chance.

Go to the article and look at how the page was at various times in the past and you'll see what I mean.
Founder of The Order

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 16:25 #44033

• ren
  • ID: 4418
We need to check the rules on primary sources, as they make more sense than secondary ones on religion articles. (in fact other religion articles use primary sources a lot).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PSTS#Pri...and_tertiary_sources

Could be good to check with wikiproject religion and NRMs as to what their policies are, if they give a green light, admins shouldn't complain and we would be able to easily revert any edits which dont comply with the policies (and therefore ruin the article).

I'd like to point out that technically, discussing the editing of articles outside wikipedia is against the rules.
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

"your problems with me are not my problems, those are your problems" -- Azealia Banks

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 18:09 #44034

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
We are not "discussing editing", other than to say it needs done....

But you can't tell me other people don't do it... lol...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna, Llama Su

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions." ~Dr. Alfred Lanning (I, Robot)

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

Re: wikipedia 01 Nov 2011 04:08 #44044

• ren
  • ID: 4418
I don't care about the rule, what I care about is not being caught as it would be highly counterproductive.

Just a reminder that if you add a link to totjo on that wiki page, you should first make sure this thread doesn't appear in the latest posts...
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

"your problems with me are not my problems, those are your problems" -- Azealia Banks
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Why should we have "fear of God"? (Last post by Kamizu)
    • Quote: Quote: Why are they saying that you should fear God? Isn't the idea that God is just and kind and compassionate? Why have a religion based entirely around fear? The etymology of the word means to frighten or terrify, but also means to revere, or regard with awe. It's one of those situations where English speakers use an archaic phrase where a portion's meaning has changed over time. It's not actual, literal fear, it's respect. This is what I was taught in growing up in church. It was also explained that it's like the way a child should 'fear' a parent in a loving and proper relationship. The child is afraid of doing anything to disappoint the parents they love so much.
    • Today I.... (Last post by Garm)
    • Today I paid off a loan for a struggling in-law. -no strings attached, only hope for his future betterment (writing this feels very strange, it seems tooting ones own horn does not come easily)
    • Irritated by an individual, and changing my perspe... (Last post by DanielJ)
    • This may be a somewhat incohesive train of thought, forgive me if this post lacks structure. I share a house with two housemates, one of them I get on very well with though I wouldn't quite call us friends. Nothing he does really annoys me at all our personalities seem to get on fine. My other housemate is a source of near constant irritation for me. She is quite self absorbed, talks at me constantly about herself and her problems and her day, and you try to reply with any sort of solution to her problems she will brush it away with some feeble excuse like 'oh that wouldn't work for me I'm different to you'. She shows no interest at all when you talk about anything, never asks how your day was. She is also extremely loud about the house though she seems compleatly unaware of it, constantly banging doors, cupboards, running up and down the stairs in heels having her tv on in her room loud until early in the morning. She is also in many ways a huge hypocrite, loudly complaining if the TV in the living room is slightly loud at a reasonable hour and other such things. She is not in any way though a bad person, she is polite, occasionally thoughtful and generally quite pleasent, if irritating to me. Now in the past I have contemplated revenge upon her in rather childish ways, banging the doors on purpose, playing loud music, slowly hiding all the forks over a period of weeks so she thinks she's going mad. But I have done none of them, Ive realised that revenge either large or small would not make me feel any better. It seems to much effort to even annoy her. Neither I think now would trying to get her to change yield any relief, direct confrontation would only make dig in and become stubborn. Asking her to be quieter about the house for example wouldn't work, even if she agreed she is always so in her own mind that she would forget very quickly. I don't believe that people really change by being pushed, and I don't like pushing anyway. The only way I see therfore of being irritated by her is to change the way I perceive her actions. I know logically that she isn't doing anything on purpose to irritate me or the other housemate, but I find it very hard to remember that when it happens, it's as if a switch is flipped in my mind when she does these things that turns on my irritability, like a conditioned response. I have tried litirally suppressing it, biting my tongue as it were to not let it bother me but it's difficult. In no way do I want to be anoyed with her, I'd love to get on with her like a house on fire because she is a nice person. I suppose what I'm trying to ask is, from the Jedi point of view, or any point of view, can I change the way I perceive her actions and words, to not have that switch flipped? Can anyone think how I might achieve this? Thank you, and MTFBWY
    • FAQ Update (Last post by Akkarin)
    • This slipped by but has now been updated properly: Rosalyn J is Secretary for the Clergy. Cabur Senaar is Secretary for the Synod. www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#OfficesSecretaryfortheClergy www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#OfficesSecretaryfortheSynod And here: www.templeofthejediorder.org/component/c...n/2154-synod-charter
    • Thoughts of a simple man (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each FOCUS "High in the Himalayan mountains, lived a wise old man. Periodically, he ventured down into the local village to entertain the villagers with his special knowledge and talents. One of his skills was to "psychically" tell the villagers the contents in their pockets, boxes, or minds. A few young boys from the village decided to play a joke on the wise old man and discredit his special abilities. One boy came up with the idea to capture a bird and hide it in his hands. He knew of course, the wise old man would know the object in his hands was a bird. The boy devised a plan. Knowing the wise old man would correctly state the object in his hands was a bird, the boy would ask the old man if the bird was dead or alive. If the wise man said the bird was alive, the boy would crush the bird in his hands, so that when he opened his hands the bird would be dead; if the wise man said the bird was dead, the boy would open his hands and let the bird fly free. So not matter what the old man said, the boy would prove the old man a fraud. The following week, the wise old man came down from the mountain into the village. The boy quickly caught a bird and cupping it out of sight in his hands, walked up to the wise old man and asked, " Old man, old man, what is it that I have in my hands?" The wise old man said, "You have a bird." and he was right. The boy then asked, "Old man, old man tell me, is the bird alive or is it dead?" The wise old man looked at the boy and said, "The bird is as you choose it." And so it is with your life."
    • Windows 10 (Last post by Dessel761)
    • I ended up going into the screen where you can troubleshoot and go to safe mode. I clicked 'reset this PC' and it reinstalled windows 10 and deleted all the apps that didn't come on the laptop. Works great now!
    • Logic Puzzles (Last post by Akkarin)
    • embed.theguardian.com/embed/video/scienc...uzzle-question-video (Includes solution to first puzzle) Area maze: Answers are never fractions, the only equation you need is: Area of rectangle = width x height Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image] Spoiler: [image]
    • How to speak so that people want to listen (Last post by Akkarin)
    • www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_how_to...o_listen?language=en Don't: Seven deadly sins of speaking Gossip, don't talk ill of people Judging, it's hard to listen if you know you're being judged Negativity Complaining, it's viral misery Excuses Penultimate, exaggeration and lying Dogmatism, the confusion of facts with opinions Do: HAIL Honesty, stand in your own truth Authenticity, be yourself Integrity, be your word Love, wish others well Consider: Register - deeper voices are listened to more and have more weight Timbre - people prefer rich/smooth/warm voices Prosody - the metalanguage used to impart meaning, don't be monotonous, don't end sentences like they're questions Pace - don't say things too quickly, take things slower rather than faster, use silence Pitch - Try adjusting your pitch for emphasis Volume - Adjusting your volume for emphasis, don't "sod-cast" loudly imposing your sound all the time
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Edan)
    • I don't feel I can openly rant about what I want to rant about. So I'm going to rant that I can't rant about it. :angry:
    • What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Last post by Hyrum Tigerprice)
    • Great album that, CryojenX. I listened to it a lot in 93 when I went through a bit. The last song is bliss. Was listening to Alice Cooper last night when I was in the temple before. I have a KISS cd on in the car. Will probably pick up a guitar soon and give myself some music to get the soul cool again.

There are 771 visitors, 12 guests and 56 members online (4  in chat): Garm, Akkarin, Br. John, Sarus, Grom Fett, steamboat28, Angelus, Aharon, RyuJin, Jestor, Kitsu Tails, tyler, Adhara, LTK, V-Tog, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, Elemental Harmony, Alan, PatrickB, Archon, Kamizu, Cyrith, Edan, Dak, Avalonslight, Janice, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, Boi Ronin, Cristris_Jons, Goken, Tarran, Rocda, den385, GriMarkz, Loudzoo, EthanLoveridge123, Lestaut, Competent, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, WRRPhoto, Eynar, Spartanmeup, TheToonMerc, ZenJo, HeirOfLight, Mikhael, DanielJ.

Follow Us