wikipedia

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:14 #44016

I noticed that the Wikipedia information on Jediism is very scant and insufficient, I think someone should add more information. I still am not able to do it well (my writing is chaotic, my English is my third language only, and I don't trust google translate entirely :), so I ask (only humbly asking the question) if someone will be willing to take over this task in the interest of the community?

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:41 #44017

If people want to know more about us, they can find information on this site. We don't have any affiliation with Wikipedia, I believe.

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:51 #44018

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The article on Jediism at Wikipedia is horrible. In theory anyone can edit it but navigating through all their incredible rules is somewhat more difficult than levitating a car with The Force.

So many people have attempted to make it a good article. For awhile, not too long back, it was getting better.

Now it's almost worse than having no article at all.

I've come to realize that until there are actual published books about Jediism written by real Jedi we going to get nowhere with Wikipedia. Once there are references to point too we'll have a fighting chance.

Go to the article and look at how the page was at various times in the past and you'll see what I mean.
Founder of The Order

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 16:25 #44033

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ID: 4418
We need to check the rules on primary sources, as they make more sense than secondary ones on religion articles. (in fact other religion articles use primary sources a lot).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PSTS#Pri...and_tertiary_sources

Could be good to check with wikiproject religion and NRMs as to what their policies are, if they give a green light, admins shouldn't complain and we would be able to easily revert any edits which dont comply with the policies (and therefore ruin the article).

I'd like to point out that technically, discussing the editing of articles outside wikipedia is against the rules.

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 18:09 #44034

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
We are not "discussing editing", other than to say it needs done....

But you can't tell me other people don't do it... lol...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan

"If you think it is important to know about yourself only because I or someone else has told you it is important, then I am afraid all communication between us comes to an end. But if we agree that it is vital that we understand ourselves completely, then you and I have quite a different relationship, then we can explore together with a happy, careful and intelligent enquiry.

I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

Re: wikipedia 01 Nov 2011 04:08 #44044

• ren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • ID: 4418
I don't care about the rule, what I care about is not being caught as it would be highly counterproductive.

Just a reminder that if you add a link to totjo on that wiki page, you should first make sure this thread doesn't appear in the latest posts...
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Prophetic Dreams (Last post by Edan)
    • I only had one once a few years ago.. but I'm still not sure it wasn't just coincidence..
    • Lucid Dreams (Last post by Edan)
    • Unfortunately, despite many attempts, I only manage a few seconds of lucidity. I can remember many dreams from one night, in colour, with sound, and yet lucid dreams seem out of my grasp :( As for flying in dreams... don't get me started. People say, you know you're in a dream when you can fly.. I tried flying, I failed.
    • Recurring Dreams (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • [/quote] However, you didnt answer my question in the PM either. You explained why the thread, but not why recurring dreams. You didnt ask about peoples lucid dreams or prophetic, but recurring ones in particular. Im curious as to what the interest in recurring dreams is.[/quote] I think, at least for me, recurring dreams are telling me something very fundimental about me. Maybe it's good, maybe it's bad but it about me and there is something to be learned. Fascinating stuff. I suspect others may feel the same way and I'd like to here about their dreams. People sharing their dreams and any related nontangent honest open discussion may help us all understand ourselves/others better and may help connect us &or bring us closer? I hope.
    • Is Consciousness A State Of Matter, Like a Solid, ... (Last post by Targeran Arynal)
    • Quote: Since this isn't a study I shouldn't really count that. But I might as well, considering what it says. You might want to read it, too, it is reasonably informative. Busted! I did only skim it to make sure there were reasonably thought out approaches to the principles I referenced in my earlier post. It definitely seemed like it would cover many of the overarching principles of the subject. Quote: Either way, falsifiability is not a matter of our current understanding or technology. Is a display of capacity for a choice a requirement to identify a conscious being? Well, I don't know about that. I mean, if we're working with conceivable hypotheticals as far as deciding what is falsifiable or not than I would say that we can conceive of a means to instantaneously measure all the way to the ends of the universe. I mean, I can conceive the idea of it, anyway. (Edit: There have been experiments and studies taking different approaches to trying to falsify consciousness as a field. I will refer you to one Cambridge scientist in particular: www.sheldrake.org/. Keep in mind that Dr Sheldrake, while he is a very accomplished developmental biologist, posits theories that are very much outside of current popular mainstream science; then again, so have many of our greatest scientists in the past been considered such in their own day.) I think this would bring us back to the question of giving a more concrete definition of what consciousness is, or what reference we think the word 'consciousness' points to. And I am feeling more and more as this conversation goes on that it would behoove me greatly to spend time pondering the notion whether an answer would ever come or not. I've not considered if choice is a requirement for identifying a conscious being, it is a very interesting notion. I would however say by way of the other side of that coin that where choice is observed it is indicative of the presence of consciousness.
    • Art as Meditation? (Last post by Streen)
    • Very cool, Jamie :). Yes, it is safe to say that that is meditation. It doesn't have to be about sitting still, breathing a particular way, or emptying your mind. In a sense, in your drawing, you are doing all of that anyway, just not consciously. I'm a landscape painter, and I can definitely confirm that it has the same effect as "ordinary" meditation. It could be anything. Art, music, exercise, washing dishes, etc. Whatever focuses your mind. Chinese calligraphy was considered a form of meditation because it took time to create the ink. You had to rub a block in water a certain number of times, and this act would create the meditative state that was necessary for good calligraphy.
    • Jedi Badges (?) (Last post by Streen)
    • I agree on all points :). Seems silly, but then, I guess it's too bad we live in a world where such things are silly. :silly:
    • military strain (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Thought I'd start this for our military members to discuss some of the stresses,strains,anxieties, etc that they face on a regular basis. The only ones that can really understand what military members go/have gone through are other military members. Military service does affect behaviour, mood, and health but not only in positive ways, negative as well. First there is the culture shock of bootcamp where they break you down and build you back up. I've seen my share of people crack under the pressure, to the point of receiving a discharge (we called them section 8's). Those that make it through then have to get through the strain of their chosen training school. From there it's into service...that presents a whole new mess of stresses depending upon where you're stationed...there's isolation from family, foreign opposition, and countless other stressors. When I served I did many things I never did prior, nor since...most of us do, it's one of many coping methods servicemen use...some get reckless(like me), some get violent, some use alcohol,some drugs, some combine methods...and then we find ourselves facing the stress of returning to civilian life which has become an alien world to us...the lack of structure and organization is enough to set us off...some of us(most of us) take years to readjust, some need help ,some don't...for all, time, understanding, and patience are needed.... So yeah I figured I'd park this post for our other military members to discuss the some of the challenges they have faced or are currently facing...
    • Ebola (Last post by Reacher)
    • I might be over there in 6 months or so. It's definitely a concern. I won't be in any areas directly affected right now, but in 6 months quite a bit could happen.
    • Books for Free (Public Domain) (Last post by Zenchi)
    • The site to this link provides horror (Lovecraft) and a broad selection of the Occult... darkbooks.org/collection/categories.html
    • a little toilet humor (Last post by RyuJin)
    • This first one is for wes and our other texans :lol: Spoiler: [attachment] This one is for our married members Spoiler: [attachment] This is for any apple/mac users Spoiler: [attachment] And for everyone that admires admiral ackbar Spoiler: [attachment]
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Creating plasma using a grape and a microwave is one of the great home science experiments. In this video Veritasium shows you how and discusses the science. For the confused, the plasma made here is the fourth state of matter, after solids, liquids and gas. It shouldn’t be confused with blood plasma, which is actually a liquid and something you probably shouldn't be experimenting with at home. That leaves the question, why grapes? As Derek and Steve note, lots of things will work, and you can have plenty of fun finding out which ones do. However, a typical large grape is about a quarter the wavelength of the microwaves your oven produces, which is the perfect size to act as an antenna. The grape needs to be cut so that the joining section heats up to the point where it vaporizes while the rest of the grape is still intact. Read more at www.iflscience.com/physics/how-make-plas...#xkuCJJWBJMVQozAA.99

There are 161 visitors, 11 guests and 33 members online (12  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Jon, Jestor, ren, Connor L., Brian, Adhara, Desolous, Reliah, discordor, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, MCSH, Khaos, Rickie The Grey, Whyte Horse, Gallileo Oortael, Arcade, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, elizabeth, Edan, Avalonslight, tzb, Senan, WithTheForce, jadedbehan, filament, Knigma, Chadius4, Goken, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Ilyowh Eclipseblast, James Antonius, Aqua.

Follow Us