wikipedia

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:14 #44016

I noticed that the Wikipedia information on Jediism is very scant and insufficient, I think someone should add more information. I still am not able to do it well (my writing is chaotic, my English is my third language only, and I don't trust google translate entirely :), so I ask (only humbly asking the question) if someone will be willing to take over this task in the interest of the community?

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:41 #44017

If people want to know more about us, they can find information on this site. We don't have any affiliation with Wikipedia, I believe.

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 02:51 #44018

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
The article on Jediism at Wikipedia is horrible. In theory anyone can edit it but navigating through all their incredible rules is somewhat more difficult than levitating a car with The Force.

So many people have attempted to make it a good article. For awhile, not too long back, it was getting better.

Now it's almost worse than having no article at all.

I've come to realize that until there are actual published books about Jediism written by real Jedi we going to get nowhere with Wikipedia. Once there are references to point too we'll have a fighting chance.

Go to the article and look at how the page was at various times in the past and you'll see what I mean.
Founder of The Order

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 16:25 #44033

• ren
  • ID: 4418
We need to check the rules on primary sources, as they make more sense than secondary ones on religion articles. (in fact other religion articles use primary sources a lot).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PSTS#Pri...and_tertiary_sources

Could be good to check with wikiproject religion and NRMs as to what their policies are, if they give a green light, admins shouldn't complain and we would be able to easily revert any edits which dont comply with the policies (and therefore ruin the article).

I'd like to point out that technically, discussing the editing of articles outside wikipedia is against the rules.
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

"your problems with me are not my problems, those are your problems" -- Azealia Banks

Re: wikipedia 31 Oct 2011 18:09 #44034

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
We are not "discussing editing", other than to say it needs done....

But you can't tell me other people don't do it... lol...
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

Re: wikipedia 01 Nov 2011 04:08 #44044

• ren
  • ID: 4418
I don't care about the rule, what I care about is not being caught as it would be highly counterproductive.

Just a reminder that if you add a link to totjo on that wiki page, you should first make sure this thread doesn't appear in the latest posts...
Former Councillor, librarian, and systems administrator.

"your problems with me are not my problems, those are your problems" -- Azealia Banks
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • unconditional love (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: in latin (the rootbase for many languages) there are several words for love....agape`(generosity/charity), storge`(loving attachment/deep friendship/nonsexual affection), eros (passion), and philia (friendship)... Generosity and charity are words of Latin origin. Generositas and caritas are their respective Latin counterparts meaning exactly the same they do in English. Agape is a Greek word and means love, affection and synonymous words. So is storge and represents natural affection like family bonds though it, too, means affection, fondness and the like. Eros, too is a Greek word, while passion comes from the latin passio. Literally it, like agape, eros refers to love but more of the courtship kind than of just dearness. Philia is also a Greek word and means friendship. The Latin counterpart is amicitia. There is also a three way latin distinction, describing more the extents than types in the way the Greek does. Concerning the topic at hand, pragma would arguably be conditional in that it is an affection stemming from reason as opposed to the playful and bodily ludus and the obsessive mania. It should be noted that none of these three words on their own refer to love at all.
    • Questions (Last post by Jestor)
    • Hello Dee... Questions like these always makes me laugh, like we are sideshow attractions because of our beliefs... Like we need to be analyzed to be understood and accepted, lol... "Bugs under glass for observation"... I cant help but think about this, every time questions get dropped on us... When these 'questionnaires' do happen, it is nice to take the time to re-evaluate our reasons... Re-question our stances, and look inside oursleves...:) I wish more would answer these things, and give themselves (the person answering) the thoughtfulness they need/deserve...:) Perhaps they do, I dont always post on these, lol... But, I do read and examine my beliefs...:) My turn...:) I may come across as a smart ass, but I promise I am smiling as I say this...:) Quote: O Describes a typical day and week for an active member Describe the active day for you, as a student... I get up, get dressed, and go to work... Weekends, I dont work, lol... I try to notice every minute that passes... Every NOW that I experience... Yea, thats pretty much it... Enjoying the journey...:) Quote: O Describes typical monthly and yearly religious events (holidays, traditions, rites of passage, etc.) My family are not Jedi, therefore, personally I dont celebrate anything but the moment to moment I am in... But, my family does enjoy the traditional holidays and such, and I do enjoy get togethers, so it works out well for us all, lol... Im not some jerk who demands that everyone respects my beliefs, that shows little respect for others, lol... Quote: Describe rituals you may perform, daily tasks you must do, any paraphernalia you need to wear or carry around with you, religious celebrations, or anything else you can think of. None... I am a pretty boring Jedi, unless you get me to talking about something, lol... Then my weirdness, er, uh, talkativeness comes out... lol... Quote: What do you do for your meditations? How long? Is it encourage or required to meditate every day? if not, how often? Depends on why I am meditating... I feel like I am in a pretty constant state of meditation... But, I will sometimes do the tradidional style, just to practice it, but usually only 5-15 minutes... No requirements set by TOTJO... But folks may have personal goals... Quote: During your week, how often do you do things that pertain to your religion? Every moment... Paying attention is constant... Quote: Are there any celebrations unique to your religion? If so, what is it and what do you do for it? How often? Eh, there have been attempts at holidays... But not too concrete yet, lol... Our group has ceremonies for Knighthoods and Ordinations, but thats it... Quote: Does one gender have a responsibility that the other does not? lol, no... How silly... Quote: What do you do to become higher ranked? Try not to look too stupid, try hard... Rank is stupid, but necessary, lol... Quote: Do you have a right of passage? Yes, we call it training though... Quote: This would help me out an incredible amount. Sure it will... And you are welcome.... The only other way to understand it is to live it, and that takes more time than you have available for an assignment... But, to be quite honest, you (anyone) will never fully understand what it is like by only asking questions... Its the whole "walk a mile in my shoes" thing...;) I could not understand being an adult student such as yourself, as I stopped the traditional schooling after high school... You might think you know, but, when you become, you realize... Tricky stuff, life is, lol...
    • Beyond Carnism and towards Rational, Authentic Foo... (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: Besides, if we want to be logical about it, or values of compassion, justice and authenticity would treat plants equally to animals. This reminds me of a poster I saw once with Poison Ivy (as in the Batman villian) on it and it said "Eating plants is murder." :laugh:
    • baru, RyuJin, Apprenticeship, 2015 (Last post by baru)
    • Thank you all for your support in this process. I look forward to the growth and evolution that begins with this first single step. Blessings and love.
    • Let's Talk About Runes (Last post by Kamizu)
    • I was thinking of making a set from slices of antler of some kind, carving them in and maybe painting. Although I do like the pretty stones ones I think I like the idea of the antlers better. I have a friend of mine who makes dog chews from naturally shed antlers. She can slice some up for me :D I just have to decide what kind of antler I want to use hmm... I was worried about getting into them and getting distracted for a time lol. My Tarot deck doesn't like it much. They always give me attitude when I start using them after a long absence. :blush:
    • Is questioning one's faith inevitable? (Last post by Gisteron)
    • My objection was not so much with the content as it was with t he phrasing. Being a scepic I do not myself think that there is anything to guarantee one's being correct on a synthetic proposition, so I reckon we are on the same page here, Jestor. However, to boldly (both figuratively and in text format ;)) declare that "nothing" could ever do so I cannot. That is not something I can show to be true so I cannot assert that it is, even if I suspect so. If you wonder, the reason I asked for 'proof' in this case rather than evidence as I usually would is because no amount of things we can exclude as preventives against being wrong, we will never be able to conclude that we have covered an exhaustive list; therefore, the truth of the proposition can only be demonstrated by a logical analysis that concludes that it is not even in principle possible to prevent oneself from being wrong. Point in case, it was the power of the proclamation and the absoluteness of the statement, really... The wording, rather than the message was what I responded to, knowing you and understanding that what you meant wasn't quite exactly how you put it. On that note, lest I be rightfully called out on hypocricy, I must stress that absoluteness itself is not necessarily a problem. When for instance I say that "no amount of faith can prevent one from being wrong", I actually do mean "no amount" and assuming there is a way to map faith to something more quantifiable and maybe also monotony of the resulting function I can actually prove that. It was similar in the second response also. Since in the statement I quoted "any" can mean both any one thing and all things, it is, for someone who doesn't know you, not clear whether you mean that there are people who do grow in some areas despite their faith in it or in others or that there are people who grow in all areas despite their faith with some. My suspicion is, and as of yet I have no demonstration of it ready, that faith in the definition we ended up agreeing upon is a hindering factor to growth in everybody who has it; that is not to say people with faith don't grow, rather that there is for each a non-empty set of areas in which the faithful doesn't grow, grows slowly or only grows little in comparison with someone who has no faith pertaining to the considered areas. It's quantifiers I tried to add. Semantics. We are otherwise on very close pages on this one, it seems.
    • Why Do People Believe Stupid Stuff, Even When They... (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: We are force-fed distractions at every turn to keep us from looking behind the curtain. Most people can tell you who Kim Kardashian is, but how many people know who the Secretary of State is, or what is his job role. We hear on the news every day that the economy is getting better, and most believe it, because they want to; but how many people understand quantitative easing, or how it works? But which way around does it go? Are people fed this stuff to ensure that they are distracted? Or are people just distracted and so they want to watch this stuff? I do not think one can say that it is absolutely one way around to the other.
    • Avatar Discussion (Episode 1, TLA) (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Episode 5: The King of Omashu This may be one of the more difficult episodes to talk about because it is almost exclusively focusing on Aang. I think this may the first time Aang takes into consideration the fact that being the Avatar draws unwanted attention. After what happened in Kyoshi, it shouldn't surprise anyone that he would be more mindful, but Aang is still very much a child. The primary reason for Aang wanting to stop in Omashu is because it would be fun. I know it comes across as though I'm disparaging children, but I'm actually try to make a note of Aang's growth. He is still a child by the end of the series, but he's a very child from the one we're seeing right now. Let's talk about appearances and not just those of Bumi seemingly as an old man or of the deadly challenges. How about the fact that the Avatar is a boy even though he's something like 12 (biologically 112)? This has come up in the past couple of episodes and is in part why nobody believes he's actually the Avatar. There is very little about this episode that is exactly as it appears. Why? What can be taken away from this? Why is it important? I would humbly suggest that it is a reflection and simplification of life. That very few things in life are straightforward and that it requires discernment to understanding what is happening. What are your thoughts?
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • these old shoes are worn and ragged, smudged with stained unsightly tears night and day my feet have dragged these old shoes everywhere to wander in the wilderness to laugh and love the living night what terrors might an echo bring? or windy sighs of soft delight? to walk the ways of desperate days in a desperate daze of hurt and woe where streets are made of razors blades and glitter grin at broken soles to run faster than the wind that screams and mocks my failures as i fly to run so fast i catch the dreams that long ago had past me by these old shoes are worn and ragged by the march theyve made to here from there night and day my feet still drag these old shoes everywhere
    • Reddit on Motivations/Goals (Last post by Adder)
    • What is a House of Cards!!!! I'm still only up to Season 2 of that Winterfell dragon sword show whatever its called :pinch: :lol: But yea the message, made me think about when they tell you that 'you can do anything' its not exactly true, everything is not possible. But it doesn't mean you cannot chase an unreachable goal if you enjoy the chase. If striving for something in particular, you gotta re-assess progress and direction as much as possible though else you can get confused about effort versus outcome, as resilience should not be the same thing as being stubborn IMO. The pic also made me think that some things need the next step to be the focus to find the target, and some things need the target to be the focus to work backwards and find the next step. Dream big, but dream plenty perhaps!?
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: suctioned the sandwich from his lungs. did anyone tell him he's supposed to chew his food not inhale it?
    • Should 'justice' treat children like adults? (Last post by Adder)
    • It should be why they have judges, to make individual intepretations and compensations to achieve the best possible outcome from a bad situation. Generally speaking, smaller crimes could have more potential for leniency with kids IMO, but the worse the crime is the less room there should probably be - because the impacts of the crime increase with the crime which might point to more and more requirement to recognize the victim's more and more in setting the punishment. I think this can still happen for adults, but to a lesser extent as adults should now be role models for children and fully cognizant of the law and the need for following it.... well the ones that make sense at least :whistle:

There are 187 visitors, 13 guests and 32 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, Shadouness, RyuJin, Jestor, Phortis Nespin, Adhara, Darren, Gisteron, Proteus, rugadd, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, Pyrus Erath, WithTheForce, Mathew Erickson, Cabur Senaar, Goken, focone oceanlast, den385, Tk768, MrBruno, Chocobo, Bàn Sionnach, Albatross, smirq, Atticus509, GreySong, IllumiNate, BensonHopeful, Doddy.

Follow Us