28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!!

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Re:28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 20 May 2010 21:33 #30795

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
Well I am finally back! Got my internet hooked up, woot!
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism

Re:28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 20 May 2010 22:14 #30797

• Jestor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 3682
Sarus wrote:
Well I am finally back! Got my internet hooked up, woot!

Great, nice to see you back!!.....
Rite: PureLand
Master: Master Jasper_Ward
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Elizabeth, Edan, Brenna, Llama Su

"I do not demand your faith; I am not setting myself up as an authority. I have nothing to teach you - no new philosophy, no new system, no new path to reality; there is no path to reality any more than to truth. All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."~Krishnamurti~

"My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions." ~Dr. Alfred Lanning (I, Robot)

"Wherever this leads, I DO like the idea of semi-nomadic symbolism. In truth, it speaks more from the heart of our decentralized culture.
We have no Pontiff, we have no Prophet...we have a loose confederation of independent people who agree upon fundamental symbols that we interpret in our own way according to our philosophy and spirituality.
Moreover, that is not a weakness - it remains our singular strength." ~Reacher~

Re:28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 21 May 2010 18:33 #30818

Glad you are back!

The only true failure is to not even try

Re:28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 23 May 2010 15:40 #30871

• Aetius
  • Novice
  • ID: 433
I am a member of the Pure Land Rite. :)

Re:28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 23 May 2010 21:58 #30873

• Sarus
  • Master
  • ID: 956
Welcome welcome to all! Thanks for showin up ;)

Another post incoming, on the Pure Land Rite. be there in a sec.
Master Knight of Jediism
Bishop of Jediism

Re: 28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 12 Jan 2012 18:19 #47600

Hello to all. Of the best known religions Buddhism is the one I identify with most but I have never felt completely at one with all aspects of it and it's various schools of thought. After only a few days as a member of TOTJO and having only dipped my toe in the initiates program I already know I have finally found the right path for me. I would like to declare myself a member of the Pure Land Rite and look forward to learning more from this community.

Re: 28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 23 Jan 2012 11:02 #48328

• Leena
  • Apprentice
  • ID: 1965
After much reflection, I am a member of the Pure Land Rite, AKA Jediism Special Interest Group. Smile.
Leena
“In times of change the learners will inherit the earth, while the knowers will find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists. ” Eric Hoffer
Master: Mark Anjuu

Re: 28 April 2010 Pure Land Roll call!!! 23 Jan 2012 20:05 #48350

You can add my name to the Pure Land rolls as well.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Ethics - Stop just saying the word (Last post by Adder)
    • I thought this was well written. Quote: In the Australian Army today, the word 'ethical' has become a cover-all that effectively means behaving lawfully. To describe any person, course of action or organisation as ethical is like describing Australia as 'national'. It is correct, but utterly meaningless. The word used as an adjective means nothing, because it is really a process that describes a complex examination of competing values and intentions. Our use of the word is symptomatic of the Army’s failure to develop a coherent system for exploring and teaching the third, much neglected component of land power – the moral aspect. An understanding of ethics allows a person or organisation to evaluate complex problems and competing values. Ethical considerations apply to the use of power, the understanding of justice and the qualities that determine whether an action is 'good' or 'right'. Naturally, none of these definitions are ever fixed, or even certain, but neither are their applications purely philosophical. Ethical questions underlie the laws of armed combat. In order to understand the fundamental aspects of conflict or the Army’s place in society, the ethical considerations surrounding them must be explored in a free manner. Failure to do so results in parochial, closed-minded military professionals. Army must provide a space where they can be explored. Without ethics (in the exploratory sense), values cannot be understood beyond a command to behave in a certain manner. Without values, morals cannot exist. Yet the moral component is a fundamental aspect of land power. Values must be understood inherently, otherwise adherence to them is simply by command – hardly moral behaviour. One has to choose to do right. To choose, one must understand. Those who cannot make the choice are merely obedient, not moral. More here and here
    • NO CHLORINE IN POOLS? CRAZY! (Last post by Adder)
    • I gotta salt water pool, and unfortunately it still has chlorine in it. It's got a widget thingamebob attached to the pump and filter which chlorinates the salt water as it pumps water through. It's much better then physically keeping chlorine levels high in a pool, because the salt seems to do most of the work, and the chlorination just adds a bit to kill the algae. So its not as bad as a chlorine pool, but not chlorine free. At least as far as my experience of them goes. When I"m too lazy to use it (like through winter) and don't want to spend a fortune running the pump every day I will just throw in a chlorine tablet and treat it like a chlorine pool until summer rocks up and then let the chlorine levels drop and start using the pump and chlorinator again for reduced chlorine swimming (or floating around as I prefer). Love the link in the OP!!! Wow, add fish for company :silly:
    • "The Death of Expertise" (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: @Gisteron Interesting, thank you! I value your opinion. Also, I'm just going to point out that I previously mentioned appeals to authority being logical fallacies, and this point is in fact addressed in the article, which I would have known had I read the article before responding! :D Appeals to authority are only fallacies in certain situations and contexts, most of which involve using such appeals to attempt to negate opposing evidence, or when cited with no supporting evidence of their own.
    • Watch what happens when regular people try to use ... (Last post by Goken)
    • I would like to point out that it repeatedly stated that people without firearms training were the issue. They said that they used people with varying degrees of training but then only compared people with no training to police officers. What about the citizens with a good amount of training? People like myself, who carry a gun on a regular basis but also have years of training not only in using the firearm but in handling those kinds of situations, would most likely react more like the officers. Of course throwing someone with no training into that situation would be bad. The same thing would happen if you threw someone with no experience driving into a high speed chase then compared them to a cop in a high speed pursuit. Also, many cities with strict hand gun laws (including entire bans) have loads of gun related violence. Then when guns are allowed in those cities the gun violence seems to go down. Here are some articles about the decrease in violence in Chicago since enacting a concealed carry law: http://www.illinoismirror.com/one-year-after-concealed-carry-chicago-homicide-rate-plunges-to-56-year-low/ http://truthinmedia.com/crime-rates-in-chicago-plummet-after-il-implements-concealed-carry/ The idea always seems to be that if someone is pro-gun they are pro-buy-as-many-guns-as-you-want-and-don't-register-them-or-bother-training-with-them. That's not true. The average person who wants to carry a gun wants to train with it and know how to use it. If a person isn't willing to train with a gun then they shouldn't be allowed to carry it. That is what I got out of that article and I couldn't agree more.
    • Today I.... (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Today, I watched a co-worker's heart break for a patient with a progressive, terminal neurological condition and I figured out a graceful way to express my gratitude for the depth of compassion expressed in her grief. I made her smile and feel less alone. And I felt less alone.
    • TotJO on Vice (French) (Last post by mdk)
    • Merci Alex. Belle representation. On peut se sentir fier d'être Jedi ;) (bien que ça ne soit pas le but, bien sûr)
    • Terrance McKenna - Reclaim your mind (Last post by Connor L.)
    • I think you're definitely right. That's why I listed out my Hierarchy of Creative Achievement above. We have to have foundations, fulfillment, a sense of purpose, a compassionate mind (toward the self and others), a connective spirit and attitude of service, and then be able to have a feeling of Artistic Achievement. Without foundations, we are lost in our inability to stay alive. Without fulfillment, we are forever searching for something we don't have. Without a sense of purpose (notice: I didn't say actually having a purpose), we continue to try and fill a void which does not exist. Without compassion, we only seek to fulfill the self, therefore the art is not reaching out... only pulling in. Without a spirit of service, the art is cold and unfeeling. But, with all those in place, the art is magical. We can be an artistic Engineer. An artistic Blacksmith. An artistic Janitor. Or, even, yes, an artistic Painter, poet, writer, etc. Art must be supported by the rest of the foundational material. Which, I think, must come from having a good relationship with our mind and spirit. Which, is the point I think McKenna is trying to make.
    • online education and e-learning (Last post by Adder)
    • Do you have much experience with different e-learning websites? I've done heaps (too many am burnt out lol) at Coursera, and had a look at various other MOOCs such as EdX. I think the Uni I did postgrad at used an early version of Moodle but that was awhile ago now. What qualities in an online class do you like? What do you "not like"? Video lectures, and the speed up playback option of Coursera was great as some lecturers speak a little slow sometimes. I like a tight assessment process such as a timer - as without the pressure it does not forge learning IMO. I liked provision of lecture content such as text and images available as separate downloads to assist self study. The forum mediated participation has potential but would need to be much more structured, perhaps like more like a live lecture in 'text' form but over 24 hours and not actually live. I was never able to participate in live video lectures due to timezones so unable to comment on that. I don't like self paced stuff so much... the internet is big enough already for me to self pace in basically anything, so I think an online class should push the student through a body of material as a supported process of mental exercise. What sites rise to the top? Coursera was my fav, of those few I tried. Has anyone used google classroom? Nope, I had not heard of it, will have a look though, thanks!
    • Conscientious Objection to Military Taxation(COMT)... (Last post by Adder)
    • The Cold War was not the invention of US foreign policy though, US foreign policy was a reaction to the Cold War. It's a complex topic that's for sure. If people didn't fight we wouldn't need a military, or at least anything as large. I'm with you on the peace as ideal. Some might say its an illusion which needs conflict to contrast it, but I disagree. I think the contrast can be achieved within the individual enough without it being carried on externally in society.

There are 575 visitors, 10 guests and 32 members online (2  in chat): Br. John, Grom Fett, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Adhara, isisinabi, tomb539, PatrickB, J. K. Barger, Archon, Kamizu, Cyrith, Avalonslight, Pyrus Erath, Keladry, Cabur Senaar, Ratcliffe, Cristris_Jons, Dessel761, Logahan, Rocda, Krieger, Jayden the 2nd, Xhaiden, Protonix, CryojenX, Tellahane, herbalc, adventureexcitement242, Phenix, Eynar, Spartanmeup, 6h057, ZenJo, Thade.

Follow Us