Patience is of the essence

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 17:13 #24377

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
In today's fast-paced culture, can patience really still be something good? Modern times provides us with high speed Internet, the instant gratification of emails and the convenience of even shopping online. But these modern conveniences and the life styles have their price. The more we pack into our lives, the more we seem to be loosing patience in the process. Time has become so compact that we can feel every single second which ticks by. We`ve come to a point where at fitness centres you can surf on the net and pedal at the same time etc. Where technology was initialy ment as a time saver it has become a commodity or addiction encouraging the need for more. And where there is no time, there is no time to reflect or communicate with others. It is difficult to appreciate life when your mind is racing miles and years ahead. The experiences we make cannot have any connection with the inner emotional world, this makes any quality, lasting memories difficult and ultimately encourages Demenz. A typical symptom of demenz is anxiety and frustration. Although or great great grandparent had to work har and long they did not need regular holidays like we do today in order to recover from a stress filled and compact timetable.

Patience is a word which calls each one of us to calm down, wait before taking action and accept things which cannot be changed. It is not some abstract ideal but a chance for each of to experience happiness on a long term basis. With patience we make more room to be free and make choices. We can become more sovereign and not loose control over what we do and what happens as a result. It is a necessary pre-requisit to become emotional and spiritualy mature. It shifts our view into the future and makes us aware of what is actually going on at the moment.

Our multi-task and control culture sees patience, in its generosity of time, as being a waste of time. Patience cannot be confused however with the fear, innactivity or lack of disciplne as found in the docile. Patience is very much active. In its steadfastness lies its ability to feel compassion and tame anger. What we really value in life we take more time for and we become more effective in. A message for all bussinesses of the world. Quality time for quality work! Breathe when you breathe, \"look at the small print\" in life, appreciate the changes of the seasons, eat when it is dinner time... .
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy & Theology

Ordained Roman Catholic Deacon

Certificate of Social Sciences

Examined in Mahayana Tibetan Buddhism - The joyful path of good fortune- Gesche Kelsang Gyatso

Grand Master of Jediism (Certificate) - Master Twsoundsoff

Ordained Bishop of Jediism (Certificate) - Cardinal Twsoundsoff

Doctor of Divinity (Certificate) - TOTJO

Ex member of Council & board of directors

Master of Sithism

Re:Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 21:09 #24382

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
It is from patience that we learn understanding that allows us to assess the situation and make decisions based on that evaluations.

When we lose patience we lose that foresight that alerts us to dangers, cautions, warning bells that in a normal situation we would come to hear and take the steps to find the reasonings for this. Also when we lose patience we also lose control of emotions due to the frustrations of not getting something quick enough. From this we learn that a person in a rush never sees the cliff's edge until it is too late.

Take the time to use patience to complete things. Yes it might take slower but in this regards you will know that it is done right and not just half way.

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 07:51 #24421

Think of life as a journey

You take the journey by jet - what do you see? - only the sky and clouds and not much else

You take the journey by high speed train - what do you see ? the world zips past in a blur - only in the far distance does the view become clearer but it doesnt stay in sight for long to take it in.

You take the journey by steam train - what do you see? - things still move quickly but you have more time to take in the view

You take the journey by foot - what do you see? - Anything n everything you wish to - you can stop when ever the mood takes - you can admire the scenery - sure you dont get as far in the same time - but you can take everything in along the way - you make the journey under your own power and you choose your own route.

Which is the most rewarding journey?

The computer was designed to be a labour saving device yet nowadays most people are the slaves and servants to the computers

Here is a thought - make a diary of an average week, make notes of the time you sepnd doing things such as 'watching tv' 'on the computer for work (necessary use)' 'computer (for leisure) that sort of thing - and finally - time spent with family friends in the real world.

Sure computers allow us to 'talk' with peple around the world as if they were next to us - but is this a good thing when it means we actually neglect those next to us?
"If you don't like or agree with the way we do things here, you know where the door is"

" What we do in life - echoes an eternity!"

Pastor Emeritus - Apprentice To Br John

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 18:10 #24474

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is of the essence because it is a virtue which helps us to grow. One definition of the word is to tolerate delay. This means self control and forbearance as opposed to wanting the world to revolve around us. How many times have we \"jumped the gun\" only to find out that it may have been better to tolerate delay or exercise self control? What did we miss out on? Did we hurt someone because of lack of patience? Did our lives just change completely just because we couldn't control ourselves? Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity for a happy existence.

Examined in Mahayana Tibetan Buddhism - The joyful path of good fortune- Gesche Kelsang Gyatso

Master of Sithism

Re:Patience is of the essence 18 Jul 2009 00:39 #24838

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is most definitely a Jedi virtue as it is intimately tied to our trust in the Force. Yet, for many of us, patience is a quality more admired than desired. Why do you think businesses came up with the concept of \"Instant Noodles,\" \"3-in-1 Coffee/Shampoo,\" \"Fast Food Restaurants,\" etc? It is because we are living in an \"Instant World,\" and we have to cope with today's fast pace environment. How is this \"instant mania\" affecting our spiritual lives? Do we expect \"instant answers\" from the Force when we pray or meditate on something?

Master of Sithism
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009 00:40 by Jon.

Re:Patience is of the essence 19 Jul 2009 21:56 #24898

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
I feel that the generation coming up behind me is more of the instant variety than me. I do enjoy having some instant things, but also have learned that there are times that they must take its course. That is where patience has come in and allowed me to allow things to unfold in its course. There are times I want it now, but then realize that \"instant\" does not mean earned.

Patience comes with all things from school, family, TRAFFIC (in which I lose about 90% dealing with Houston traffic), meditation, work, and life. Without patience, we would not have gained an understanding of what is respected, earned, or learned.

Re:Patience is of the essence 20 Jul 2009 09:15 #24910

I want I want don't get is the old saying yet it seems 'I demand' seems to get and gets it now.

But where is the reward? or indeed honour in instant gratification.

Surely if the life expectancy of humans is increasing - then we have more time to take our time.

Just a thought

MTFBWY - A
"If you don't like or agree with the way we do things here, you know where the door is"

" What we do in life - echoes an eternity!"

Pastor Emeritus - Apprentice To Br John
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • unconditional love (Last post by baru)
    • Quote: I am sitting here thinking that you all have turned 2 words in something like 10-12. Here is how I would define unconditional love...MOM! Kind of says it all. ;) Motherly love is a unique type of love - is there a word for that? yes, since words are so limited and specific, I am looking for a specific word that expresses my sensation of eternal, complete, divine, Force, bound, binding, abundant love in one word. I do feel that confusion comes from the fact that there is one word for so many feelings that people attribute to this word. I am discovering the limitations of words in expressing feelings. I am discovering the importance of images for expressing emotional and universal sensings. This could be why Egyptians used Hieroglyphics in stead of "letters". Images hold so much more than a letter. This is why I prefer comic books and movies to traditional novels. I am finding this thread inspiring. I am enjoying that some many people are interested in exploring this concept.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Got a lot of grateful to get off my chest today.... I'm grateful to my parents and grandparents, who do more for me than they should, and more than I deserve, who taught me to work hard but be generous. I'm grateful to my fiance, who taught me say 'f*** it' and be myself. I'm grateful to my year ten history teacher, who taught me that one voice can change the world. I'm grateful for my record player... even though half the disks have been played to death, there's something more soulful in the music from a record than from any mp3 or cd.
    • Questions (Last post by Dee)
    • Jestor, Thank you for your response. And yes, belonging to a religion myself, I realize that to understand the full spectrum of the religion, beliefs, and reasons we do what we do and believe what we believe, we would have to experience it in fullness. I do appreciate you being open and blunt with your response. I do hope you realize that I am not trying to offend or in any way bring Jediism down. Simply trying to understand even a little bit of it and share that knowledge with my fellow classmates. Please, if you have anything else to share, do. Thank you!
    • Acording to ''TheVigilantChristian'' We are a part... (Last post by Gisteron)
    • I've been aware of the Vigilant Christian for a while now. There is nothing to him that isn't completely satanic, though, to be fair, he is one of the most laughable public spokesmen for that position. As far as I know he also has a severe untreated mental condition.
    • Beyond Carnism and towards Rational, Authentic Foo... (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: Besides, if we want to be logical about it, or values of compassion, justice and authenticity would treat plants equally to animals. This reminds me of a poster I saw once with Poison Ivy (as in the Batman villian) on it and it said "Eating plants is murder." :laugh:
    • baru, RyuJin, Apprenticeship, 2015 (Last post by baru)
    • Thank you all for your support in this process. I look forward to the growth and evolution that begins with this first single step. Blessings and love.
    • Let's Talk About Runes (Last post by Kamizu)
    • I was thinking of making a set from slices of antler of some kind, carving them in and maybe painting. Although I do like the pretty stones ones I think I like the idea of the antlers better. I have a friend of mine who makes dog chews from naturally shed antlers. She can slice some up for me :D I just have to decide what kind of antler I want to use hmm... I was worried about getting into them and getting distracted for a time lol. My Tarot deck doesn't like it much. They always give me attitude when I start using them after a long absence. :blush:
    • Is questioning one's faith inevitable? (Last post by Gisteron)
    • My objection was not so much with the content as it was with t he phrasing. Being a scepic I do not myself think that there is anything to guarantee one's being correct on a synthetic proposition, so I reckon we are on the same page here, Jestor. However, to boldly (both figuratively and in text format ;)) declare that "nothing" could ever do so I cannot. That is not something I can show to be true so I cannot assert that it is, even if I suspect so. If you wonder, the reason I asked for 'proof' in this case rather than evidence as I usually would is because no amount of things we can exclude as preventives against being wrong, we will never be able to conclude that we have covered an exhaustive list; therefore, the truth of the proposition can only be demonstrated by a logical analysis that concludes that it is not even in principle possible to prevent oneself from being wrong. Point in case, it was the power of the proclamation and the absoluteness of the statement, really... The wording, rather than the message was what I responded to, knowing you and understanding that what you meant wasn't quite exactly how you put it. On that note, lest I be rightfully called out on hypocricy, I must stress that absoluteness itself is not necessarily a problem. When for instance I say that "no amount of faith can prevent one from being wrong", I actually do mean "no amount" and assuming there is a way to map faith to something more quantifiable and maybe also monotony of the resulting function I can actually prove that. It was similar in the second response also. Since in the statement I quoted "any" can mean both any one thing and all things, it is, for someone who doesn't know you, not clear whether you mean that there are people who do grow in some areas despite their faith in it or in others or that there are people who grow in all areas despite their faith with some. My suspicion is, and as of yet I have no demonstration of it ready, that faith in the definition we ended up agreeing upon is a hindering factor to growth in everybody who has it; that is not to say people with faith don't grow, rather that there is for each a non-empty set of areas in which the faithful doesn't grow, grows slowly or only grows little in comparison with someone who has no faith pertaining to the considered areas. It's quantifiers I tried to add. Semantics. We are otherwise on very close pages on this one, it seems.
    • Why Do People Believe Stupid Stuff, Even When They... (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: We are force-fed distractions at every turn to keep us from looking behind the curtain. Most people can tell you who Kim Kardashian is, but how many people know who the Secretary of State is, or what is his job role. We hear on the news every day that the economy is getting better, and most believe it, because they want to; but how many people understand quantitative easing, or how it works? But which way around does it go? Are people fed this stuff to ensure that they are distracted? Or are people just distracted and so they want to watch this stuff? I do not think one can say that it is absolutely one way around to the other.
    • Avatar Discussion (Episode 1, TLA) (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Episode 5: The King of Omashu This may be one of the more difficult episodes to talk about because it is almost exclusively focusing on Aang. I think this may the first time Aang takes into consideration the fact that being the Avatar draws unwanted attention. After what happened in Kyoshi, it shouldn't surprise anyone that he would be more mindful, but Aang is still very much a child. The primary reason for Aang wanting to stop in Omashu is because it would be fun. I know it comes across as though I'm disparaging children, but I'm actually try to make a note of Aang's growth. He is still a child by the end of the series, but he's a very child from the one we're seeing right now. Let's talk about appearances and not just those of Bumi seemingly as an old man or of the deadly challenges. How about the fact that the Avatar is a boy even though he's something like 12 (biologically 112)? This has come up in the past couple of episodes and is in part why nobody believes he's actually the Avatar. There is very little about this episode that is exactly as it appears. Why? What can be taken away from this? Why is it important? I would humbly suggest that it is a reflection and simplification of life. That very few things in life are straightforward and that it requires discernment to understanding what is happening. What are your thoughts?
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • these old shoes are worn and ragged, smudged with stained unsightly tears night and day my feet have dragged these old shoes everywhere to wander in the wilderness to laugh and love the living night what terrors might an echo bring? or windy sighs of soft delight? to walk the ways of desperate days in a desperate daze of hurt and woe where streets are made of razors blades and glitter grin at broken soles to run faster than the wind that screams and mocks my failures as i fly to run so fast i catch the dreams that long ago had past me by these old shoes are worn and ragged by the march theyve made to here from there night and day my feet still drag these old shoes everywhere
    • Reddit on Motivations/Goals (Last post by Adder)
    • What is a House of Cards!!!! I'm still only up to Season 2 of that Winterfell dragon sword show whatever its called :pinch: :lol: But yea the message, made me think about when they tell you that 'you can do anything' its not exactly true, everything is not possible. But it doesn't mean you cannot chase an unreachable goal if you enjoy the chase. If striving for something in particular, you gotta re-assess progress and direction as much as possible though else you can get confused about effort versus outcome, as resilience should not be the same thing as being stubborn IMO. The pic also made me think that some things need the next step to be the focus to find the target, and some things need the target to be the focus to work backwards and find the next step. Dream big, but dream plenty perhaps!?
    • Should 'justice' treat children like adults? (Last post by Adder)
    • It should be why they have judges, to make individual intepretations and compensations to achieve the best possible outcome from a bad situation. Generally speaking, smaller crimes could have more potential for leniency with kids IMO, but the worse the crime is the less room there should probably be - because the impacts of the crime increase with the crime which might point to more and more requirement to recognize the victim's more and more in setting the punishment. I think this can still happen for adults, but to a lesser extent as adults should now be role models for children and fully cognizant of the law and the need for following it.... well the ones that make sense at least :whistle:

There are 227 visitors, 5 guests and 31 members online (2  in chat): Akkarin, RyuJin, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Joe, Lightstrider, Phortis Nespin, Adder, Desolous, Proteus, V-Tog, Reacher, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Brenna, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, peace, Goken, Tk768, Everett, Loudzoo, Aslyn, Albatross, smirq, Atticus509, Dee, GreySong, PJT.

Follow Us