Patience is of the essence

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 17:13 #24377

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
In today's fast-paced culture, can patience really still be something good? Modern times provides us with high speed Internet, the instant gratification of emails and the convenience of even shopping online. But these modern conveniences and the life styles have their price. The more we pack into our lives, the more we seem to be loosing patience in the process. Time has become so compact that we can feel every single second which ticks by. We`ve come to a point where at fitness centres you can surf on the net and pedal at the same time etc. Where technology was initialy ment as a time saver it has become a commodity or addiction encouraging the need for more. And where there is no time, there is no time to reflect or communicate with others. It is difficult to appreciate life when your mind is racing miles and years ahead. The experiences we make cannot have any connection with the inner emotional world, this makes any quality, lasting memories difficult and ultimately encourages Demenz. A typical symptom of demenz is anxiety and frustration. Although or great great grandparent had to work har and long they did not need regular holidays like we do today in order to recover from a stress filled and compact timetable.

Patience is a word which calls each one of us to calm down, wait before taking action and accept things which cannot be changed. It is not some abstract ideal but a chance for each of to experience happiness on a long term basis. With patience we make more room to be free and make choices. We can become more sovereign and not loose control over what we do and what happens as a result. It is a necessary pre-requisit to become emotional and spiritualy mature. It shifts our view into the future and makes us aware of what is actually going on at the moment.

Our multi-task and control culture sees patience, in its generosity of time, as being a waste of time. Patience cannot be confused however with the fear, innactivity or lack of disciplne as found in the docile. Patience is very much active. In its steadfastness lies its ability to feel compassion and tame anger. What we really value in life we take more time for and we become more effective in. A message for all bussinesses of the world. Quality time for quality work! Breathe when you breathe, \"look at the small print\" in life, appreciate the changes of the seasons, eat when it is dinner time... .
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Re:Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 21:09 #24382

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
It is from patience that we learn understanding that allows us to assess the situation and make decisions based on that evaluations.

When we lose patience we lose that foresight that alerts us to dangers, cautions, warning bells that in a normal situation we would come to hear and take the steps to find the reasonings for this. Also when we lose patience we also lose control of emotions due to the frustrations of not getting something quick enough. From this we learn that a person in a rush never sees the cliff's edge until it is too late.

Take the time to use patience to complete things. Yes it might take slower but in this regards you will know that it is done right and not just half way.

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 07:51 #24421

Think of life as a journey

You take the journey by jet - what do you see? - only the sky and clouds and not much else

You take the journey by high speed train - what do you see ? the world zips past in a blur - only in the far distance does the view become clearer but it doesnt stay in sight for long to take it in.

You take the journey by steam train - what do you see? - things still move quickly but you have more time to take in the view

You take the journey by foot - what do you see? - Anything n everything you wish to - you can stop when ever the mood takes - you can admire the scenery - sure you dont get as far in the same time - but you can take everything in along the way - you make the journey under your own power and you choose your own route.

Which is the most rewarding journey?

The computer was designed to be a labour saving device yet nowadays most people are the slaves and servants to the computers

Here is a thought - make a diary of an average week, make notes of the time you sepnd doing things such as 'watching tv' 'on the computer for work (necessary use)' 'computer (for leisure) that sort of thing - and finally - time spent with family friends in the real world.

Sure computers allow us to 'talk' with peple around the world as if they were next to us - but is this a good thing when it means we actually neglect those next to us?

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 18:10 #24474

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is of the essence because it is a virtue which helps us to grow. One definition of the word is to tolerate delay. This means self control and forbearance as opposed to wanting the world to revolve around us. How many times have we \"jumped the gun\" only to find out that it may have been better to tolerate delay or exercise self control? What did we miss out on? Did we hurt someone because of lack of patience? Did our lives just change completely just because we couldn't control ourselves? Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity for a happy existence.

Re:Patience is of the essence 18 Jul 2009 00:39 #24838

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is most definitely a Jedi virtue as it is intimately tied to our trust in the Force. Yet, for many of us, patience is a quality more admired than desired. Why do you think businesses came up with the concept of \"Instant Noodles,\" \"3-in-1 Coffee/Shampoo,\" \"Fast Food Restaurants,\" etc? It is because we are living in an \"Instant World,\" and we have to cope with today's fast pace environment. How is this \"instant mania\" affecting our spiritual lives? Do we expect \"instant answers\" from the Force when we pray or meditate on something?
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009 00:40 by Jon.

Re:Patience is of the essence 19 Jul 2009 21:56 #24898

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
I feel that the generation coming up behind me is more of the instant variety than me. I do enjoy having some instant things, but also have learned that there are times that they must take its course. That is where patience has come in and allowed me to allow things to unfold in its course. There are times I want it now, but then realize that \"instant\" does not mean earned.

Patience comes with all things from school, family, TRAFFIC (in which I lose about 90% dealing with Houston traffic), meditation, work, and life. Without patience, we would not have gained an understanding of what is respected, earned, or learned.

Re:Patience is of the essence 20 Jul 2009 09:15 #24910

I want I want don't get is the old saying yet it seems 'I demand' seems to get and gets it now.

But where is the reward? or indeed honour in instant gratification.

Surely if the life expectancy of humans is increasing - then we have more time to take our time.

Just a thought

MTFBWY - A
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • There is no Death (Last post by Degataga)
    • That is the next book that I planned to order, so I'm glad to hear that! Remember Be Here Now was a very eye opening book
    • The Order of the Good Death (Last post by Proteus)
    • What makes fear or lack of fear unnatural? Who is to say what is "not part of nature"? Is fear not a symptom of ignorance? And yet, death to this day is the biggest mystery in this world of "hard facts"... There were civilizations and eras where many people were rarely afraid of death, but instead, looked quite forward to it, due to setting aside some lack of facts for decided beliefs. That may sound dumb in common contexts, yet that empowering belief gave them incredible power over the life they did have, giving it a great meaning. The difference between the common person of today's society and one of them, is that they spent their life learning - not hard facts about the tangible world so much, but about matters of the spirit which taught them to be less attached to their physical bodies, and not so concerned with losing it in death - which is the common issue for us: attachment to the tangible experience of life, and not knowing (tangibly) what lies beyond it. "There is no death, there is the Force", is an affirmation, that the physical, tangible realm that we experience in this life is very likely but a grain of sand on a beach of further experiences beyond it.
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by JHolle3)
    • That is awesome! I love altars. Mine will most likely have several Buddhist items on it as well. I'd love to have one of those miniature zen gardens, with the little rake and sand.
    • Best martial art? (Last post by Locksley)
    • Like others have said: there really is no "best" martial art. It really just depends on what you're looking to get out of it and how well it suits you. Personally T'ai chi is one of my favorites. At the introductory levels its not about attacking or conflict at all; it's about learning to center yourself and build a powerful understanding of movement and form. Over time you begin to develop your form and your muscle memory becomes saturated with the art. It allows you to proactively respond in almost any physical condition better than you would without that training. In this way I'd suggest T'ai chi as a very powerful companion to any other martial art - it builds an excellent foundation that greatly improves your focus and progression in any martial arts form. I also study Aikido and saber fencing, and I'm looking to expand into WMA/HEMA (historical Western martial arts) one of these days as well. In both my fencing and Aikido however I've noticed an improvement from studying T'ai chi. Yoga behaves in much the same way as T'ai chi as well - by grounding you, building stamina and resistance, and helping you maintain a meditative presence under pressure. My suggestion? Study T'ai chi and yoga concurrently with whatever other martial art interests you the most, and you'll find that your training goes much smoother (though it will be a lot tougher if you're doing all three to begin with every week). Pace yourself. Don't reach for rank or anything, just settle in and practice a little every day. Ok, now I'm preaching, lol. :P
    • Jamie Hams It Up (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • This thread ... :huh: And I've been saying all along : "The Jedi do not have sin." :blink: ... until now. :laugh:
    • IP discussion area (Last post by J. K. Barger)
    • Bump :) I thought it was a pretty insightful book- I think I echo with Scott in that she makes no claims to any sort of certifying credential, and just presents the material in a chronological way that is, IMO, a decent enough baseline for folks to jump off and do their own research. I was also able to understand her pretty well, even in some of the denser mathematical and theoretical parts, which really helped me put together some of the bits and pieces of quantum physics research and pseudo-scientific literature into rounder context. She does insinuate, but I agree also with (I believe Desolous) there is something more to this, but does quite say what. And I think that perhaps is where she brings in her marketing skills and webinars. I wrote a post a little while back after reading it and was wondering if anyone had any experience with her online material, but it didn't seem like anyone had or was interested. Either way, the parts about information and how it is stored and transferred was fascinating and deepened the magical potential of Life as it ebbs and flows.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • I'll post some old poetry here, I guess. It's spoken word, so it won't have the same impact as when it's recited. Also, I don't agree with the entirety of the message or with way I expressed what I was feeling at that time. Spoiler: Phony Playing the fool for a nation of fools A nation caught up in misguided rules Invisible fault lines colliding And we to be blame, our fault Recognition is big step But not a giant leap Shamelessly we employ slaves Women kept in domestic graves A narrative against those who misbehave But who am I to stand here and speak? A genderqueer white person Middle-class and educated Can't see past my own pile of shit Phony And all I can do is admit that I don't get it Phony Trampling injustice with a lead foot Speeding with arrogance towards fire and soot Crash course in stupidity Trying to embrace humility Only to wind up without the ability To see the futility Of my own proximity With the destructive proclivity Incidentally, I drown out the real voice with my audibility Openly I demonstrate the best parts of Christianity Secretly I'm wondering if God could ever love me Phony I'm pretty proud that I'm Irish and German But the Irish decided to turn-in their heritage For white man's burden Phony And what does it mean to be straight? Can I be impressed by a man's gait Or do I have to walk a fine line between Insecurity and self-hate? Phony I'm a hypocrite Culturally illiterate Inconsiderate asshole Is what I'd call America whole Phony How do I navigate the intricate web of lies Cutting ties with my identity To demonstrate deference If history needs a context Then I must have missed the reference Incensed by America's ignorance While I claim innocence Phony
    • Local Orginizations (Last post by V-Tog)
    • Hello Baldorf, and welcome by the way :) I think that Jamie gave you some pretty sound advice there and there's not much that I can add to it. However, I can clarify - there is the potential to set up TOTJO Chapters. It has already been attempted in the past. But, we would prefer someone leading a Chapter to be a Knight, and we do not currently have the luxury of huge numbers of active Knights (and most of those of us who are Knights or Masters are pretty busy with family, work, hobbies, online TOTJO...). So in answer to your question, yes, it is possible that at some point we may have various physical Chapters, and I think that it would be really great if we did. It's just not very realistic at this moment in time... But, perhaps, if you stick around, get to know us and work hard, you might find yourself being at the forefront of a Chapter somewhere down the line... :)
    • No Emotion, eh? (Last post by Zeph)
    • I like to use that analogy about the reflex of the moon over the water surface. If the water is disturbed, the image will be reflected distorced. The “waves” that disturb the water are our emotions. The "moon" is the reality. The "moon reflex" is the reality as our mind see. If we are lucid, we can see trough this "waves", If we are not, we see a "fake reality" distorced by our emotions. The point is that we must train (analitic meditation) to observe this mental process naturally, and choose better reactions.
    • Visions (Last post by Connor L.)
    • I think we can easily put together the future if we knew all of the facts about everything. Many systems, such as emotions, thoughts, and other choices we make are HIGHLY predictable. Don't pretend humans are "surprising" in a any way. We can explain motivations behind almost anything. In dreams, we have all of the information there. It is synthesized in ways that our conscious minds cannot fathom. Our brain knows EVERYTHING, and has memories of important things. I'm sure everybody's familiar with simple brain mechanics. Stronger memories come from repeated signals that strengthen the synapses in our brain. I don't know exactly what happens when we dream, but I think our thoughts come together and synthesize into a non-coherent picture. If we remember them, and we remember the right one, often we can analyze a proper meaning from it. Just like a doctor notes the symptoms and makes a diagnosis, if we put enough factors together, we can tell the future. So, in dreams, you're basically being a "detective" and your finding out perspectives you didn't know you had. I doubt there's anything extra-normal about it.
    • Why a Jedi Knight ? (Last post by MikeBudo)
    • Greetings Each Bows I can't take to much credit for this as Some of it is based on the thoughts of a Martial Arts Instructor but some of what he said I thought applicable here in TOJO. Also the guide and philosophy I live by is not made up by me it s a combination of other works. To be honest I wasn't to sure what the reaction to the post would be. I am pleased and humbled by the responses so far. It would seem that the right balance has thus far been achieved. We are are individuals with our own views and if just one word makes a slight difference to just one person it would have still been worth wile doing. That was in fact something that Master Br John said to me quite some time ago :) Have a happy day :)

There are 422 visitors, 5 guests and 25 members online (one is in chat): Gaia Chi, RyuJin, Adder, discordor, Proteus, Luthien, Locksley, scott777ab, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kohadra, Cyrith, Degataga, wesleycook74, Edan, Zenchi, jamesjohnston1741, TheImpailerXx, RollFizzlebamf, Trice Corbel, kevinabdiel, Jamie Stick, blindbat84, Xan Montagu, ShrapnelX2, smipen.

Follow Us