Patience is of the essence

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 17:13 #24377

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
In today's fast-paced culture, can patience really still be something good? Modern times provides us with high speed Internet, the instant gratification of emails and the convenience of even shopping online. But these modern conveniences and the life styles have their price. The more we pack into our lives, the more we seem to be loosing patience in the process. Time has become so compact that we can feel every single second which ticks by. We`ve come to a point where at fitness centres you can surf on the net and pedal at the same time etc. Where technology was initialy ment as a time saver it has become a commodity or addiction encouraging the need for more. And where there is no time, there is no time to reflect or communicate with others. It is difficult to appreciate life when your mind is racing miles and years ahead. The experiences we make cannot have any connection with the inner emotional world, this makes any quality, lasting memories difficult and ultimately encourages Demenz. A typical symptom of demenz is anxiety and frustration. Although or great great grandparent had to work har and long they did not need regular holidays like we do today in order to recover from a stress filled and compact timetable.

Patience is a word which calls each one of us to calm down, wait before taking action and accept things which cannot be changed. It is not some abstract ideal but a chance for each of to experience happiness on a long term basis. With patience we make more room to be free and make choices. We can become more sovereign and not loose control over what we do and what happens as a result. It is a necessary pre-requisit to become emotional and spiritualy mature. It shifts our view into the future and makes us aware of what is actually going on at the moment.

Our multi-task and control culture sees patience, in its generosity of time, as being a waste of time. Patience cannot be confused however with the fear, innactivity or lack of disciplne as found in the docile. Patience is very much active. In its steadfastness lies its ability to feel compassion and tame anger. What we really value in life we take more time for and we become more effective in. A message for all bussinesses of the world. Quality time for quality work! Breathe when you breathe, \"look at the small print\" in life, appreciate the changes of the seasons, eat when it is dinner time... .
Jediism - "Without religion, we'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Stephen Weinburg

Re:Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 21:09 #24382

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
It is from patience that we learn understanding that allows us to assess the situation and make decisions based on that evaluations.

When we lose patience we lose that foresight that alerts us to dangers, cautions, warning bells that in a normal situation we would come to hear and take the steps to find the reasonings for this. Also when we lose patience we also lose control of emotions due to the frustrations of not getting something quick enough. From this we learn that a person in a rush never sees the cliff's edge until it is too late.

Take the time to use patience to complete things. Yes it might take slower but in this regards you will know that it is done right and not just half way.

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 07:51 #24421

Think of life as a journey

You take the journey by jet - what do you see? - only the sky and clouds and not much else

You take the journey by high speed train - what do you see ? the world zips past in a blur - only in the far distance does the view become clearer but it doesnt stay in sight for long to take it in.

You take the journey by steam train - what do you see? - things still move quickly but you have more time to take in the view

You take the journey by foot - what do you see? - Anything n everything you wish to - you can stop when ever the mood takes - you can admire the scenery - sure you dont get as far in the same time - but you can take everything in along the way - you make the journey under your own power and you choose your own route.

Which is the most rewarding journey?

The computer was designed to be a labour saving device yet nowadays most people are the slaves and servants to the computers

Here is a thought - make a diary of an average week, make notes of the time you sepnd doing things such as 'watching tv' 'on the computer for work (necessary use)' 'computer (for leisure) that sort of thing - and finally - time spent with family friends in the real world.

Sure computers allow us to 'talk' with peple around the world as if they were next to us - but is this a good thing when it means we actually neglect those next to us?
"If you don't like or agree with the way we do things here, you know where the door is"

" What we do in life - echoes an eternity!"

Pastor Emeritus - Apprentice To Br John

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 18:10 #24474

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is of the essence because it is a virtue which helps us to grow. One definition of the word is to tolerate delay. This means self control and forbearance as opposed to wanting the world to revolve around us. How many times have we \"jumped the gun\" only to find out that it may have been better to tolerate delay or exercise self control? What did we miss out on? Did we hurt someone because of lack of patience? Did our lives just change completely just because we couldn't control ourselves? Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity for a happy existence.
Jediism - "Without religion, we'd have good people doing good things, and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Stephen Weinburg

Re:Patience is of the essence 18 Jul 2009 00:39 #24838

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is most definitely a Jedi virtue as it is intimately tied to our trust in the Force. Yet, for many of us, patience is a quality more admired than desired. Why do you think businesses came up with the concept of \"Instant Noodles,\" \"3-in-1 Coffee/Shampoo,\" \"Fast Food Restaurants,\" etc? It is because we are living in an \"Instant World,\" and we have to cope with today's fast pace environment. How is this \"instant mania\" affecting our spiritual lives? Do we expect \"instant answers\" from the Force when we pray or meditate on something?
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009 00:40 by Jon.

Re:Patience is of the essence 19 Jul 2009 21:56 #24898

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
I feel that the generation coming up behind me is more of the instant variety than me. I do enjoy having some instant things, but also have learned that there are times that they must take its course. That is where patience has come in and allowed me to allow things to unfold in its course. There are times I want it now, but then realize that \"instant\" does not mean earned.

Patience comes with all things from school, family, TRAFFIC (in which I lose about 90% dealing with Houston traffic), meditation, work, and life. Without patience, we would not have gained an understanding of what is respected, earned, or learned.

Re:Patience is of the essence 20 Jul 2009 09:15 #24910

I want I want don't get is the old saying yet it seems 'I demand' seems to get and gets it now.

But where is the reward? or indeed honour in instant gratification.

Surely if the life expectancy of humans is increasing - then we have more time to take our time.

Just a thought

MTFBWY - A
"If you don't like or agree with the way we do things here, you know where the door is"

" What we do in life - echoes an eternity!"

Pastor Emeritus - Apprentice To Br John
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Conscientious Objection to Military Taxation(COMT)... (Last post by Whyte Horse)
    • Spoiler: Quote: Well, with things as they are, the government goes into wars that I don't support, benefits certain people and companies for reasons that I don't support, lets the wrong people off the hook, creates laws that I don't support, and generally does things that I don't support all across the board, right down to toll roads. (Seriously, whose idea was toll roads? It's awful. Get rid of it.) Since that's the case, and since I think my money will be poorly invested if I pay my taxes, what obligation do I have to pay the government money? Just for the privilege of living in the country and working for someone else who happens to own a business in this particular country? And I have to pay you taxes JUST BECAUSE I have an income, really? Then you take it a step further. Even after I've paid your unfair taxes which go to support things that I don't want to support, whenever I go to buy something, even online, you charge me more taxes. So now you're charging me for making money and you're charging me for spending money. But now, due to HR-4646, I'm even being charged money for saving money. So I can't acquire, save, or spend money without the government stealing it from me unjustly and using it to fund whatever they feel like funding. As it stands, the only reason that I'd pay taxes is the government taking part in actively making this country a better place. That, and the threat of punishment. The government is a bit like a mugger, who comes up to you on the street, puts a knife to your throat, and tells you to give them your wallet. In an ideal system, you would choose where your tax money goes. But we're not going to see that happen, realistically. We're supposed to have democracy but we have oligarchy. It's called taxation without representation. I think everyone should join the tax protest but they won't because they're scared that the gov't will come take away their bank-owned house.
    • "The Death of Expertise" (Last post by adventureexcitement242)
    • Quote: I would agree that all parts of the political spectrum can be guilty of anti-academia behavior, but for different reasons. Some may fear academia because it generates new information that flies directly in the face of their strongly held beliefs. Others may fear it because it makes them feel inferior. Still others may disagree with experts because they have access to google and wikipedia and this access to information makes them believe they are equally qualified. In my opinion, people need to stop trying to one-up each other and accept that some people are just better than others at certain things. There's nothing wrong with that. What do you think about the inevitable fact that "the experts" are frequently wrong? For years the FDA told us that saturated fats are bad for our arteries, and a whole industry popped up selling FDA-approved food replacements like margarine that have no saturated fat yet are even worse for the body. Or, taking another tact, what about the fact that homosexual behavior has only recently been removed from the DSMV as indicators of mental illness? Today the experts have reversed themselves. I'm thinking that our society has blown up examples like these to discredit the notion of expertise. It's an example of the unmooring of the average person from any steady mental grips to hold and orient themselves. Sort of like the mental distress that comes from a loss of myth? What do you think? One final note, I'm recalling that "appeal to authority" is a formal logical fallacy.
    • Live Sermon August 1 1900 UTC (Last post by Rosalyn J)
    • Hi everyone I will be delivering a live sermon on August 1, 2015 at 1900 UTC entitled Jedi Justice to open up this months theme: Inequity Yet Justice. I look forward to seeing some of you there and assure you that a written counterpart will be made available to those who cannot make it :) Ros
    • Once Again, Scientists Conclude That There's No Ev... (Last post by Luthien)
    • Quote: I've got to disagree with that. Let's take alcohol for example. www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nut...alcohol/art-20044551 In small amounts, it will: Reduce your risk of developing and dying from heart disease Possibly reduce your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow) Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes. But in large amounts, whether you're healthy or sick, alcohol can kill you. Is that not what homeopathy is? Small doses of a substance producing good effects while large doses of the same substance produces bad effects? No. Homeopathy would be more like: * Too much alcohol is deadly. * If I dilute it by a factor of 10−12 (one part in one trillion or 1/1,000,000,000,000), one can get the body used to the alcohol with each dosage. * The higher the dilution factor, the more potent the dosage. Now, aside from the first assertion, which part makes sense? An oversimplification, I know, but pretty close, imo.
    • Rosalyn J, Deacon, Ceremony, 2015 (Last post by CryojenX)
    • Quote: Since we'd planned to be there anyway, we'll carry on with a live service -- it will be presented by Edan. So, if anyone was planning on coming, we'll still be there .... Hope to see you all there. ;) Bummer! I had to bow out before the decision was made due to migraine leftovers. I hope the service will at some point be posted for those who weren't there. :)
    • Leave of Absence, Extended. (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Until further notice, I am taking an extended leave of absence from my status and position as a Licensed Minister. If, upon further reflection, I still feel that the issues that prompted this leave will remain in effect beyond my ability to affect them, I will renounce said position. We'll see what the future holds. -M. W.
    • Does "love" work? (Last post by baru)
    • I am discovering that my ultimate purpose is to allow experiences to flow through me and to radiate love into the world. I feel that if all I did (with all that I do) was allow the force to express itself through me in a loving way, I would be "saving the world". I do feel that this world needs as much love as it can to help heal all of the wounding that leads to the "trauma" that is perpetuating it. We are creating our own monsters with how we treat each other. If we want to sooth the beast, we need to take the thorn out of our own paw so we can see the light in all things. I have discovered that "gratitude" is an amazingly powerful healing practice.
    • alternatives to Facebook? (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: Please tell me more about this?? :D EDIT: I feel like such a boob - Gathered Force Community is in FB :P lol And here I thought it was a Jedi social media thing all on its own :D ahahahaha Umm.....It is....it's own thing....all on its own ;) The Facebook Page is just a platform of connectivity....much like TOTJO's very own facebook page ;) Try putting the words together.....and a .com at the end of those words ;) maybe even add a http://www. before the words.....Warning<-- Kit is being silly gatheredforcecommunity.com/ Hey John! I just got a surprise last night (Like...literally at 1am in the morning....) So I will be focusing on the map again, see if I can't figure out the problem. It's sadly expired on some of the perks so....we shall see. I will figure this out Rawr!!!
    • Jedi Pyramid (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: This thread is like......almost 3 years old. ah, so it is, lol....i never look at the dates on posts...just saw something that caught my attention....

There are 574 visitors, 13 guests and 41 members online (3  in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Sarus, Grom Fett, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Joe, Connor L., Adder, Burn_Phoenix, V-Tog, Reacher, isisinabi, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Whyte Horse, Kamizu, Cyrith, Avalonslight, theroguepigeon, Cabur Senaar, Goken, Rocda, Cyan Sarden, Krieger, Adi Vas, CryojenX, Tellahane, herbalc, Corsair Gorscue, adventureexcitement242, Jamho Thaber, Spartanmeup, 6h057, Trazyn4211, TheToonMerc, WyldwoodNymph, yeltneb, ZenJo, Phanos, NavonSavir.

Follow Us