Patience is of the essence

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 17:13 #24377

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
In today's fast-paced culture, can patience really still be something good? Modern times provides us with high speed Internet, the instant gratification of emails and the convenience of even shopping online. But these modern conveniences and the life styles have their price. The more we pack into our lives, the more we seem to be loosing patience in the process. Time has become so compact that we can feel every single second which ticks by. We`ve come to a point where at fitness centres you can surf on the net and pedal at the same time etc. Where technology was initialy ment as a time saver it has become a commodity or addiction encouraging the need for more. And where there is no time, there is no time to reflect or communicate with others. It is difficult to appreciate life when your mind is racing miles and years ahead. The experiences we make cannot have any connection with the inner emotional world, this makes any quality, lasting memories difficult and ultimately encourages Demenz. A typical symptom of demenz is anxiety and frustration. Although or great great grandparent had to work har and long they did not need regular holidays like we do today in order to recover from a stress filled and compact timetable.

Patience is a word which calls each one of us to calm down, wait before taking action and accept things which cannot be changed. It is not some abstract ideal but a chance for each of to experience happiness on a long term basis. With patience we make more room to be free and make choices. We can become more sovereign and not loose control over what we do and what happens as a result. It is a necessary pre-requisit to become emotional and spiritualy mature. It shifts our view into the future and makes us aware of what is actually going on at the moment.

Our multi-task and control culture sees patience, in its generosity of time, as being a waste of time. Patience cannot be confused however with the fear, innactivity or lack of disciplne as found in the docile. Patience is very much active. In its steadfastness lies its ability to feel compassion and tame anger. What we really value in life we take more time for and we become more effective in. A message for all bussinesses of the world. Quality time for quality work! Breathe when you breathe, \"look at the small print\" in life, appreciate the changes of the seasons, eat when it is dinner time... .
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy & Theology

Ordained Roman Catholic Deacon

Certificate of Social Sciences

Examined in Mahayana Tibetan Buddhism - The joyful path of good fortune- Gesche Kelsang Gyatso

Grand Master of Jediism (Certificate) - Master Twsoundsoff

Ordained Bishop of Jediism (Certificate) - Cardinal Twsoundsoff

Doctor of Divinity (Certificate) - TOTJO

Ex member of Council & board of directors

Master of Sithism

Re:Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 21:09 #24382

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
It is from patience that we learn understanding that allows us to assess the situation and make decisions based on that evaluations.

When we lose patience we lose that foresight that alerts us to dangers, cautions, warning bells that in a normal situation we would come to hear and take the steps to find the reasonings for this. Also when we lose patience we also lose control of emotions due to the frustrations of not getting something quick enough. From this we learn that a person in a rush never sees the cliff's edge until it is too late.

Take the time to use patience to complete things. Yes it might take slower but in this regards you will know that it is done right and not just half way.

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 07:51 #24421

Think of life as a journey

You take the journey by jet - what do you see? - only the sky and clouds and not much else

You take the journey by high speed train - what do you see ? the world zips past in a blur - only in the far distance does the view become clearer but it doesnt stay in sight for long to take it in.

You take the journey by steam train - what do you see? - things still move quickly but you have more time to take in the view

You take the journey by foot - what do you see? - Anything n everything you wish to - you can stop when ever the mood takes - you can admire the scenery - sure you dont get as far in the same time - but you can take everything in along the way - you make the journey under your own power and you choose your own route.

Which is the most rewarding journey?

The computer was designed to be a labour saving device yet nowadays most people are the slaves and servants to the computers

Here is a thought - make a diary of an average week, make notes of the time you sepnd doing things such as 'watching tv' 'on the computer for work (necessary use)' 'computer (for leisure) that sort of thing - and finally - time spent with family friends in the real world.

Sure computers allow us to 'talk' with peple around the world as if they were next to us - but is this a good thing when it means we actually neglect those next to us?

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 18:10 #24474

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is of the essence because it is a virtue which helps us to grow. One definition of the word is to tolerate delay. This means self control and forbearance as opposed to wanting the world to revolve around us. How many times have we \"jumped the gun\" only to find out that it may have been better to tolerate delay or exercise self control? What did we miss out on? Did we hurt someone because of lack of patience? Did our lives just change completely just because we couldn't control ourselves? Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity for a happy existence.

Examined in Mahayana Tibetan Buddhism - The joyful path of good fortune- Gesche Kelsang Gyatso

Master of Sithism

Re:Patience is of the essence 18 Jul 2009 00:39 #24838

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is most definitely a Jedi virtue as it is intimately tied to our trust in the Force. Yet, for many of us, patience is a quality more admired than desired. Why do you think businesses came up with the concept of \"Instant Noodles,\" \"3-in-1 Coffee/Shampoo,\" \"Fast Food Restaurants,\" etc? It is because we are living in an \"Instant World,\" and we have to cope with today's fast pace environment. How is this \"instant mania\" affecting our spiritual lives? Do we expect \"instant answers\" from the Force when we pray or meditate on something?

Master of Sithism
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009 00:40 by Jon.

Re:Patience is of the essence 19 Jul 2009 21:56 #24898

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
I feel that the generation coming up behind me is more of the instant variety than me. I do enjoy having some instant things, but also have learned that there are times that they must take its course. That is where patience has come in and allowed me to allow things to unfold in its course. There are times I want it now, but then realize that \"instant\" does not mean earned.

Patience comes with all things from school, family, TRAFFIC (in which I lose about 90% dealing with Houston traffic), meditation, work, and life. Without patience, we would not have gained an understanding of what is respected, earned, or learned.

Re:Patience is of the essence 20 Jul 2009 09:15 #24910

I want I want don't get is the old saying yet it seems 'I demand' seems to get and gets it now.

But where is the reward? or indeed honour in instant gratification.

Surely if the life expectancy of humans is increasing - then we have more time to take our time.

Just a thought

MTFBWY - A
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Hell Fire (Last post by Adder)
    • Both states as described above seem accessible while alive as experiences, perhaps only briefly, but I guess we'll never now if they exist as permanent strata's which some part of us join after death. I do notice they seem to conveniently represent the two polar extremes of physical existence, on one end a bliss so intense it tends to best compare almost as a type of fire, and on the other a pain so intense it dissolves ones very essence.... so I'm not sure it's anything more then a projection and fantasy from those who have tasted those extreme states of mind/spirit/body. Then again anything outside our capacity to experience might well be expected to be represented as those extremities - and need not mean they are not generated from something outside our sensory capacities. I guess an interesting question could be would you want to experience them both while alive, briefly, and why... what would you do with that knowledge!?
    • "The Interview" gets pulled (Last post by Adder)
    • There are quite a few movies out there with US Presidents being killed and/or attempted to be killed, usually not intended to be comedies, but each person viewing something can take different things from it. I thought the humour was in the manner of the attempt by the leading actors who are comedians, and I'm not even sure it portrays an actual successful assassination? I'd have to see it to make judgement on it.
    • From time to time a poem (Last post by Silvermane)
    • Play in the river, Until the moon comes out. Lay in the grass, Snout to snout. A tail of strength, Shining so bold. Wrapped with another, Soft and reddish gold. True lovers forever, With tails so grand. The Otter of the River, And The Fox of the Land.
    • 2014 New Year's Force Realist Meditation Relay (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Updated: OUR LIST SO FAR, STILL NEED HOURS COVERED. :) 31 DEC 2014 10-11AM UTC - 11-NOON UTC - NOON-1PM UTC - Chris Porter 1-2PM UTC - Jenna 2-3PM UTC - 3-4PM UTC - 4-5PM UTC - Silmerion 5-6PM UTC - 6-7PM UTC - 7-8PM UTC - Jacob 8-9PM UTC - Sinistra, Shlomit 9-10PM UTC - Simen 10-11PM UTC - 11-MIDNIGHT UTC - Jamie Easting 1 JAN 2014 MIDNIGHT-1AM UTC - Rick Laws 1-2AM UTC - 2-3AM UTC - 3-4AM UTC - 4-5AM UTC - Casper 5-6AM UTC - Lori 6-7AM UTC - 7-8AM UTC - 8-9AM UTC - 9-10AM UTC -
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Kaverael)
    • Quote: I am frustrated... Coming out is not as simple as telling people you're gay, bisexual, pansexual; transgender, genderqueer, genderfluid, or whatever the case may be. Coming out is an entire process of the people around you coming to terms with the implications of their assumptions about you being incorrect. Coming out is the painful process of being misgendered, having people ask inappropriate questions, and several other microaggressions that make everyday interactions painful. For this and many other reasons, coming out is a really scary experience that isn't at all as simple as what most of the media portrayals make it out to be. Last night I was reduced to terrified ugly sobbing when I realized that my Christmas would be spent either quietly being misgendered and misnamed or in intense conversations with relatives about what it means to be trans and pansexual. I don't do well with being quiet about being misgendered, I usually (at the very least) do something passive-aggressive in response. I had hoped that my Christmas would be at least somewhat relaxing, that I would get a break from the stresses of work and school, but I'm only going to have to trade one kind of stress for another. And I feel like it's all my fault, like I'm ruining my family's Christmas by being this difficult black sheep of the family. I know my mother wanted so badly for me to go to Minnesota for Christmas, but I'm regretting ever agreeing to go. My mother just informed me last night that I'd be spending Christmas Eve with someone from Uganda and I'm afraid that I'm going to have to explain all kinds of things to him, but additionally that Christmas Day will be spent with a bunch of children ranging from the ages of 2-17 and I'm not emotionally or mentally prepared to try to explain all this stuff to children, much less their parents. If it weren't for the fact that I'm not the kind of person to break promises, because I don't know what I am if people can't trust my word, I would just miss the flight to Minneapolis and that would be the end of it. I have enough groceries to make it through Christmas week. It's too late for that though, I've made promises and built up expectations about my arrival, therefore I cannot back out now. I regret it and I should have known. My apprenticeship studies included a lesson of meditation and contemplation about family relations, the answer was within me all along. I've spent my whole life trying to please my parents and with this Christmas thing I tried to please them then too. I've made a huge mistake and now I'm going to pay for it. Jamie, It sounds like your family is really looking forward to seeing you, so maybe they will just be happy you showed up. If you don't want to talk about your situation, try changing the subject, like "I know you have questions, but Mom/Aunt Lucy/Uncle Bob/whomever, is not comfortable hearing this stuff, especially during the holidays. Maybe we can get to get together and discuss it some other time. Let's focus on why we are all really here; to spend time with the ones we love," and just move on. You are who you are, so be that person, it's not like you are a leper. Show up with a smile, and a good attitude. I think that the more you stress about it, the more others will feed off of that stress, in a negative way. MTFBWY -Rick
    • Taoism (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Lessons Everyone you meet whether wise or foolish, has something to teach you. The sage appreciates everyone and everything, accepting the lessons offered by each in their own way. - Lao Fzu pg 7 www.taowoods.org/quote/index.htm?focus=7 :) Have a nice weekend.

There are 390 visitors, 5 guests and 23 members online (one in chat): Zanthan Storm, Priwen, Firewolf, Jestor, Connor L., Adder, Darren, Proteus, Reacher, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, J. K. Barger, Kamizu, Silvermane, SilverWolf, BeBe, Cabur Senaar, SeventhSL, Revan Falton, Tarran, Slebo, Cyan Sarden, Peej16870, Everett, Kameron, Veran_Seawolf, Coby.

Follow Us