Patience is of the essence

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 17:13 #24377

• Jon
  • Novice
  • ID: 1798
In today's fast-paced culture, can patience really still be something good? Modern times provides us with high speed Internet, the instant gratification of emails and the convenience of even shopping online. But these modern conveniences and the life styles have their price. The more we pack into our lives, the more we seem to be loosing patience in the process. Time has become so compact that we can feel every single second which ticks by. We`ve come to a point where at fitness centres you can surf on the net and pedal at the same time etc. Where technology was initialy ment as a time saver it has become a commodity or addiction encouraging the need for more. And where there is no time, there is no time to reflect or communicate with others. It is difficult to appreciate life when your mind is racing miles and years ahead. The experiences we make cannot have any connection with the inner emotional world, this makes any quality, lasting memories difficult and ultimately encourages Demenz. A typical symptom of demenz is anxiety and frustration. Although or great great grandparent had to work har and long they did not need regular holidays like we do today in order to recover from a stress filled and compact timetable.

Patience is a word which calls each one of us to calm down, wait before taking action and accept things which cannot be changed. It is not some abstract ideal but a chance for each of to experience happiness on a long term basis. With patience we make more room to be free and make choices. We can become more sovereign and not loose control over what we do and what happens as a result. It is a necessary pre-requisit to become emotional and spiritualy mature. It shifts our view into the future and makes us aware of what is actually going on at the moment.

Our multi-task and control culture sees patience, in its generosity of time, as being a waste of time. Patience cannot be confused however with the fear, innactivity or lack of disciplne as found in the docile. Patience is very much active. In its steadfastness lies its ability to feel compassion and tame anger. What we really value in life we take more time for and we become more effective in. A message for all bussinesses of the world. Quality time for quality work! Breathe when you breathe, \"look at the small print\" in life, appreciate the changes of the seasons, eat when it is dinner time... .
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy & Theology

Ordained Roman Catholic Deacon

Certificate of Social Sciences

Examined in Mahayana Tibetan Buddhism - The joyful path of good fortune- Gesche Kelsang Gyatso

Grand Master of Jediism (Certificate) - Master Twsoundsoff

Ordained Bishop of Jediism (Certificate) - Cardinal Twsoundsoff

Doctor of Divinity (Certificate) - TOTJO

Ex member of Council & board of directors

Master of Sithism

Re:Patience is of the essence 09 Jul 2009 21:09 #24382

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
It is from patience that we learn understanding that allows us to assess the situation and make decisions based on that evaluations.

When we lose patience we lose that foresight that alerts us to dangers, cautions, warning bells that in a normal situation we would come to hear and take the steps to find the reasonings for this. Also when we lose patience we also lose control of emotions due to the frustrations of not getting something quick enough. From this we learn that a person in a rush never sees the cliff's edge until it is too late.

Take the time to use patience to complete things. Yes it might take slower but in this regards you will know that it is done right and not just half way.

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 07:51 #24421

Think of life as a journey

You take the journey by jet - what do you see? - only the sky and clouds and not much else

You take the journey by high speed train - what do you see ? the world zips past in a blur - only in the far distance does the view become clearer but it doesnt stay in sight for long to take it in.

You take the journey by steam train - what do you see? - things still move quickly but you have more time to take in the view

You take the journey by foot - what do you see? - Anything n everything you wish to - you can stop when ever the mood takes - you can admire the scenery - sure you dont get as far in the same time - but you can take everything in along the way - you make the journey under your own power and you choose your own route.

Which is the most rewarding journey?

The computer was designed to be a labour saving device yet nowadays most people are the slaves and servants to the computers

Here is a thought - make a diary of an average week, make notes of the time you sepnd doing things such as 'watching tv' 'on the computer for work (necessary use)' 'computer (for leisure) that sort of thing - and finally - time spent with family friends in the real world.

Sure computers allow us to 'talk' with peple around the world as if they were next to us - but is this a good thing when it means we actually neglect those next to us?

Re:Patience is of the essence 10 Jul 2009 18:10 #24474

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is of the essence because it is a virtue which helps us to grow. One definition of the word is to tolerate delay. This means self control and forbearance as opposed to wanting the world to revolve around us. How many times have we \"jumped the gun\" only to find out that it may have been better to tolerate delay or exercise self control? What did we miss out on? Did we hurt someone because of lack of patience? Did our lives just change completely just because we couldn't control ourselves? Patience is not only a virtue but a necessity for a happy existence.

Examined in Mahayana Tibetan Buddhism - The joyful path of good fortune- Gesche Kelsang Gyatso

Master of Sithism

Re:Patience is of the essence 18 Jul 2009 00:39 #24838

• Jon
  • Novice
Patience is most definitely a Jedi virtue as it is intimately tied to our trust in the Force. Yet, for many of us, patience is a quality more admired than desired. Why do you think businesses came up with the concept of \"Instant Noodles,\" \"3-in-1 Coffee/Shampoo,\" \"Fast Food Restaurants,\" etc? It is because we are living in an \"Instant World,\" and we have to cope with today's fast pace environment. How is this \"instant mania\" affecting our spiritual lives? Do we expect \"instant answers\" from the Force when we pray or meditate on something?

Master of Sithism
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2009 00:40 by Jon.

Re:Patience is of the essence 19 Jul 2009 21:56 #24898

• Tiamat
  • Master
  • ID: 1369
I feel that the generation coming up behind me is more of the instant variety than me. I do enjoy having some instant things, but also have learned that there are times that they must take its course. That is where patience has come in and allowed me to allow things to unfold in its course. There are times I want it now, but then realize that \"instant\" does not mean earned.

Patience comes with all things from school, family, TRAFFIC (in which I lose about 90% dealing with Houston traffic), meditation, work, and life. Without patience, we would not have gained an understanding of what is respected, earned, or learned.

Re:Patience is of the essence 20 Jul 2009 09:15 #24910

I want I want don't get is the old saying yet it seems 'I demand' seems to get and gets it now.

But where is the reward? or indeed honour in instant gratification.

Surely if the life expectancy of humans is increasing - then we have more time to take our time.

Just a thought

MTFBWY - A
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • A Problem. (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: This being said it'd be nice to see knights and above contribute to "doctrinal discussions". Can't argue there, lol... Quote: Yup! Best way to break something down and help rebuild it is from within Can't argue with this either....:) Quote: Quote: Cabur, I am a member here and My Son Aiden-Gabriel is being raised, in a way through this community. Sounds great. My son will turn one this Saturday. In twenty years, if either of them is involved in Jedi culture, they will be part of a very interesting community. They have their work cut out as well Can't agrue with that, whoops.... My son is 15.. Been on the Jedi path for a few years now...:)
    • Strict adherence to doctrine. (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • Quote: If I do not adhere to the doctrine strictly, am I still a Jedi? Well I'm just a guest but reading the FAQ you are a Jedi (as defined by TOTJO) only if you submit an application and take the Simple Oath. Thus no Jedi (as defined by TOTJO) is under the age of 13 and only TOTJO's Oath is seen as legally binding in their eyes. The Simple Oath states that you must do your "utmost to uphold the teachings of the Jedi". The definition of Doctrine includes the word teachings. So by deduction I'd submit that you can not be a Jedi (as defined by TOTJO) unless you strictly adhere to their doctrine.
    • Training to see the Positive (Last post by Arcade)
    • Interesting! Thanks for sharing this, Connor. I go immediately for the happy faces. :) It's rare that I'm not smiling, though I never thought about how that might affect my perceptions. The act of smiling seems to not only attract that same energy, but apparently also helps direct one toward others who extend positive vibes.
    • The Problem will Pass (Last post by Adder)
    • Our bodies are just really complex worm's anyway, everything is built up around a central channel which opens in the mouth and exits down below.... so to 'pass' implies a window or frame of reference of some sort, and for the aspirational 'ego' mind I guess that is the present moment plus zones extending out into the experienced past and expected future. Perhaps for the engaged 'id' mind the window might look different, but I still think it exists in some form - the challenge might be the transfer of information, and nature of alignment, between them!
    • Strict adherence to doctrine. (Last post by Brenna)
    • Sorry Rickie, I didnt think about the forum thing when I posted that topic, would you like it moved? Im happy to open it up....
    • The Death Penalty As Applied (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Quote: Should the race of the victim and the race of the defendant be a determining factor in the DP? Execution information accurate as of November 19, 2014 following an execution in Missouri. Persons Executed for Interracial Murders in the U.S. Since 1976 White Defendant / Black Victim (31) Black Defendant / White Victim (290) [attachment] and this is so so so wrong as well. That is one of the great f'uped things of life...it's not fair. I know I know that's life and life isn't fair...but I don't have to like it and I don't have to be that way or use it as an excuse to do the wrong thing like so many do just so to get their my way.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Anyanwu)
    • Day #1 (Check In) 10 minutes of yoga ----- All I could get in today (or more accurately what I felt like doing, but I'm starting small! Thanks @Exarchias)
    • Edan (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • I can't post on the other thread.... ;) ....I wish you well. You're a good person. :)
    • The Way of Jediism (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: YOINK! And out of appreciation for the text, give me an address in PM and I will send you a nice physical copy. (Thas TK768. I cannot afford, even at my discount, to print one and mail it for anyone who asks) What would be the cost if we wanted to pay for one? The information is out of date, but if you like work could begin on making an updated one. Is it the sort of thing that people are interested in having? I would also be interested in helping to update this.
    • Friendly weight loss challenge (Last post by Callan)
    • This is a great idea... for anyone who isn't considering celebrating Thanksgiving/Chanukkah/Midwinter Solstice/Christmas/New Year in the usual gluttonous manner. If you manage to pull off any weight loss at all over the proposed time-frame, I for one will stand in awe!
    • Jibo: Family Robot (Designer inspired by Star Wars... (Last post by Revan Falton)
    • Quote: Quote: That is amazing! Any news on price estimates for the releases? So far it's $600 for the home edition and $700 for the developer edition(where you can program your own skills and stuff) I plan on buying the developers kit. You can also upgrade you home edition with the sdk later for $125. So the developers edition is the top of the line then? I looked in their website. They are no longer accepting pre-orders... Gotta wait till 2016 I guess. :/

There are 342 visitors, 8 guests and 30 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jestor, ren, Kitsu Tails, Connor L., Wescli Wardest, Darren, Proteus, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, Arcade, Brenna, Llama Su, Archon, Diggitae, babyblueyes247, Zenchi, Mathew Erickson, Calanon, Cabur Senaar, SeventhSL, GalUnDrux, Jeffery Williams, Oneiros, Mos-An Hobel, Exarchias, Jung Faol, Rocda, Ryno, RaB, Geister, Anyanwu.

Follow Us