The Force and Consciousness

Moderators: Adder, Desolous

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 17:11 #117398

If your question is, "Does the Force have consciousness?" I would interpret that as, "Is there consciousness within the Force?" to which I would reply that the answer is quite obviously yes. I am a part of the Force and I have consciousness so therefore the Force has consciousness.

If the question intended however was, "Is the Force a consciousness?" I might hesitate to answer. The Force in my belief is not a single consciousness, it is however a collective consciousness. There are billions of consciousnesses all coming together and there are forms of consciousness we cannot explain. I feel that there is no simple answer to this question as posed because consciousness is not an exact science, and mayhaps it never will be. It all comes down to belief and in the end neither side can "win" in the consciousness vs. non-consciousness debate because there is not definitive proof.

So, does the Force have consciousness or does it not?
I must agree with Proteus in saying both and neither.

It is similar to the study of light.
When you test light to see if it acts as a particle, it does.
However when you test light to see if it acts like a wave, it also does.
Is light a particle or a wave?
It is simultaneously both and neither.

It is important to remember that what is observed corresponds directly to how it is being observed.

May the Force be with you,
Rai
The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant;

It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

Apprentice under Training Master Ryujin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Proteus, Lykeios

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 19:18 #117415

JohnsonMD wrote:
Let me pose the following question for discussion:

Does the Force have Consciousness?

For the purposes of this discussion, let us assume:
  • Consciousness is defined as: the quality or state of being aware of an external object or something within oneself; Sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood, and the executive control system of the mind.

If possible, please provide some foundation to your answer - so as to help define what that may be (or not be) and provide insight for those also seeking such knowledge.

Nope The force is a sum but not the whole. Made up of all living forces but is not life or a life as defined above. If it were it would be beyond us anyway and beyond our ability to understand it but that doesn't mean we can know of it.

Don't over/deep think or try too hard to define this stuff this stuff. Just live it. :)

Does a small child deep think or define how to walk? Nope, it just gets up and learns how to walk. :)

Good question though.

Qi "The more general probllem of impeded qi flow is experiencing yourself as a passive victim of circumstances that cause the conditions of your life. By contrast, in qigong we learn to exprience ourselves as empowered participants in our health and self development." Kevin D. Schoeninger

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 22:06 #117424

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Some of the thoughts provided I can find common ground with, some of them I cannot.

However, said discussion has brought up topics and other aspects that didn't cross my mind prior, or served to either support or deny what I had already thought.

In the end...I have found this productive and worthwhile.

Thanks!
"There are attempts, and there are accomplishments. Histories only praise one."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raikoutenshi
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2013 22:06 by JohnsonMD.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 06:39 #118261

JohnsonMD wrote:
sidvkili wrote:
JohnsonMD wrote:
Can you expand on the why/how of that Alexandre?

does everything need deep thought?

I could just respond to that by stating, "yes," but wouldn't be helpful now would it. ;)

Everything needs deep thought so that it can be understood, especially those things which are not self evident. The alternative is to know blindly, which imo is folly.

For example; the boots that I just put on my feet and laced up. They at one point required deep thought(s) so that I could come to understand that:
- They protect my feet,
- they are made out of this and that material,
- they are not water-proof! :(
- they are within the regulations (Army)

etc, etc

That level of thinking isn't too complicated, but it does require that I think about it further than just putting something on my feet and calling it a boot.

Things such as the Force, or God, or dogmatic approaches to life and the great mysteries therein require deep thought. Now, maybe that deep thought is not so deep for other people - however, it is necessary for me to have this understanding. Thus, if I ask for clarification, it is so that I can think more deeply upon what is said to me and thusly apply it to my line of thinking. Answers like, "yes" etc, are not helpful in that cause and only serve to complicate an already complicated issue (regardless of the ease at which the one who states such finds the issue complicated for them or not).

Hope that helps to explain where I am coming from.

yeah, it proves my point.
everything doesn't need deep thought. You need or want deep thought.

I stole my friends lunch a few days ago. Why? because I was hungry and I wanted what he had. Did you understand why I did it? Did it have deep thought?


Nope
I like the stars.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 11:17 #118270

A hypothetical scenario:

Premise 1: I define the Force as an existing, transcendental, conscious, eternal, interactive being. A being that fits not this description is not the Force.
Premise 2: The being we talk about is the Force.
Conclusion: Therefore, the being has consciousness i.e. the Force has consciousness.

This is a form of the ontological argument for the existence of God - by defining an entity in a certain way it becomes impossible for any entity under the same label in the course of the given discussion to be anything else. That way you can prove any property the entity might have like consciousness or existence: If it had not the property, the label would no longer fit.

Now the flaw is, of course, that it can prove everything and therefore is useless in proving anything.
You define the Force as something conscious (or not), and it is conscious (or not) so long as it is the Force.
You define it as existing and it exists so long as it is the Force (or not).
You define it as both invisible and pink and so it becomes. You can see where I'm going here.

Since we haven't observed an entity that we agreed to call the Force, our only way to speak of its properties is in defining it as whatever each of us wants it to be. That's a fun exercise but utterly useless in the end for its only potential is to create disagreements which can not be resolved - while it helps us no bit in learning anything about the Force.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 13:08 #118275

  • Alan
  • Alan's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 10670
A discussion regarding definitions is a helpful beginning to understanding, especially for us as we seek wisdom about the nature of the Force.

Some forms of consciousness are highly cognitive while others are less so, and still other forms (meditation, for example) lack that aspect of consciousness that we might call thinking (that is, thinking as an inner dialogue of words and images about some particular idea or object, cognition as problem-solving, and the like). It has been helpful for me to blur the distinctions that traditionally separate feeling and thinking. Think with the body. Eventually, as Alexander suggests, the cognitive activity of thinking about the Force fades as one lives it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 14:05 #118280

  • Streen
  • Streen's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Member
  • ID: 2215
JohnsonMD wrote:
Does the Force have Consciousness?

Well, the way I see it, we have consciousness, and we are one with the Force, so by extension the Force has consciousness.
You can travel for years, through mountains and deserts, and never find it. That is because it was always with you.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 14:48 #118290

Alan wrote:
A discussion regarding definitions is a helpful beginning to understanding, especially for us as we seek wisdom about the nature of the Force.
Bull. If one wishes to learn something about a topic, one better starts studying it and not making things up. Interestingly, if the subject is something real, the observations usually can be confirmed intersubjectively. Now, reality, of course, is in some areas a rather blurry term, but let's not go down that track just yet. Saying that defining a thing helps you understand it, is an admission that the thing in question is not real. Conversely, if it is real, whatever time we spend defining its properties on our own rather than observing them on the object, will be wasted.

Either way, the Force was never too clearly defined here so what the OP ends up with after this thread, is being alone left to make his own opinion on the subject - something he might as well have gotten without this thread altogether.

Also, noone is doing the entirety of the Jedi community any service by defining the Force in his own way. Its not that there haven't been way too well defined gods before and have we not seen enough of where that usually leads? And yet, leaving it undefined leaves the question unanswered... Tough dilemma, isn't it? :D

However, I also realize that this question is more about opinions and less asking for a definite answer, so I should take this a bit easier, I suppose... :blush:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Userpics and nicknames (Last post by Alan)
    • Even if I were to use nom de guerre it seems that folks like to use my full name. I'm often addressed by both first and last names. My students called me Mister or Professor (not a doctor yet). At my other spiritual community, many persons are known my other names: Richard is Aero, Eric is Eldritch, Ellen is Etain, etc. When I arrived here it seemed best to use my common name and a current picture.
    • Ikigai - "a reason for being" (Last post by Adder)
    • So the answer to that puzzle would be to be good at everything and love doing anything while doing what the world needs and getting paid for it!!!!
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 14# day without coffee.
    • Happy Thanksgiving! (Last post by SilverWolf)
    • Happy Thanksgiving Revan! I am thankful for you and all the Jedi of the Order, I am also thankful for my family and my life! Do not eat too much revan! Enjoy time with your family! May the Force be with you! SilverWolf
    • Jediism and non Jediism, (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: One might argue that a Jedi would think a bit differently because they think in Jedi terms, use Jedi language. But that would be about it. Identifying as a Jedi does not grant insight right off top. It does not guarantee that one treats people well or makes good choices. To better or worse, Jedi are subject to the same set of human failings as anyone else. What makes a human being insightful is work, experience, and the ability to reflect. Jedi do not have a trademark on that in any way. Nor do I think it is necessary to be a Jedi in order to live well. I figure Jedi that are insightful and live a good life do it in a way that aligns with their approach to the Jedi path. This may not address your question precisely, but it needs saying now and again: being a Jedi doesn't make you better. I am most sorry for my first post, I did not want to make topic with the intention to say Jedi are ''better'' I should hold my head in shame if I would believe Jedi are, I am just curious if there are differences in global way of speaking. Maybe I should ask the question in a different way.. :blush: If Jediism is a religion with a wide range of teachings. How to know the difference between Jedi and non Jedi?
    • Anyone see this? (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Satanists? There's bound to be a few. Jedi who practice magick? There are several. Is this important, beyond the needs of idle curiosity? I have yet to make it through the whole film. It is painful to watch. But I do not think it really warrants a significant response. Not from each of us, and certainly not from the Temple as an organization. Or, we send them flowers and ask them out for pizza.
    • Jediism Book (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: So yeah... There's this... www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205300072483603 Printed as a thank you for Brother John sharing the file. Don't worry TK768, its going in the mail soon! An excellent piece of work!
    • here's a thought. (Last post by ren)
    • Steam as I said before there is indeed no formal classification system for humans. It does not exist, the subject became taboo before geneticists existed. So no, I can't use formal taxonomic terms, THEY DO NOT EXIST. There has never been a proper genetic classsification of humans, the only species that seems exempt. Only very few fields have been studied because they are linked to health issues, and when categories are created they usually carry the name of the particular gene being studied. Why you keep on pushing this on even though there are pretty good grounds for you to have guessed by now that this very probably affects my family is beyond me. You keep mentioning this social race nonsense, which I consider racist because it links genetic heritage to culture and social status. I have zero interest in it and plan on continuing to have zero interest in it. Why you seem so worked up about it is beyond understanding. Maybe you ought to read about what "phenotype" actually means, and how genotype is actually part of it. Quote: So that example is not a good example I don't think for gender discrimination of that type being introduced in part by OP, also especially not the breast example specifically, as in western societies female breasts are usually considered private. Quite a few men only club's had to close up or allow women, but I notice there are women only gym's etc. I always thought it was only religious institutions that were allowed to bypass certain anti-discrimination law. So on reflection 'health' must have an angle in there also.... I do not mind a bit of positive discrimination so long as it's transparent and available to both genders to meet the same types of need. I consider all parts of my body private, and would normally be pretty pissed off if random people touched me the way a doctor touches my neck, puts stuff in my ears, my mouth, etc. But the way I see it doctors can do it because I trust them as professionals doing professional things. What about putting needles inside people? Isn't that supposed to be a BDSM thing? The same goes for people who have little or no training. Those healthcare assistants havent been through 10 years of medical training and have no PhDs, but still wipe bums for perfectly reasonable reasons and should be respected as such. I mean, if it' all about making the patients feeling comfortable, why don't we always get sexy hot nurses? If sexy barmaids cause patrons to drink more, surely recovery times could be improved by sexy nurses, right? :D Etc lol I digress. Men get mammograms also. Excellent point about the women-only gyms, though apparently women don't like them this much. Those who go to my gym (private health club) often clearly are there to show off. Someone mentioned lululemons in another thread, I swear some people stacked up on those "faulty" transparent ones as they never seem to run out. We have more women than men during the day and some clearly are competing. All of this of course is excellent news for men, as apparently staring at breasts for 10 minutes is just as good for men's health as a 30 minute workout.
    • Missing the Holidays? (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • So far this year, this is the first holiday (Thanksgiving) that I have been home. But for the members of my cutter, this is the first holiday they have been home for most of the year. I remember mentioning that I planned on still celebrating my son’s birthday when I got off patrol a few weeks back, and I got the response of: "It’s already past and gone. Mommy joined the Coast Guard, she’s going to miss special days.” Why they feel like holidays have to be static is beyond me. I’ve been with a few different families that find holidays are flexible. They might celebrate it more than once in the week/month because they are sharing it with different members of their family (biological and extended). So this is sort of a message for those of you that cannot be home for the holidays, but will be able to make it home within reason- holidays like Thanksgiving, Easter, Birthdays, Christmas and other such “big” days do not need to be static. You can still enjoy them with the ones you love if you are in a position where you have to work. Even in history the dates (save really Birthdays) have changed to fit where they are today. Why not allow a bit of flexibility in your own schedule? To the world of all those that have to work this holiday season: Happy Holidays, you are appreciated.
    • Chat "Irony". (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: (08:10:57) Axiom_Eleven: One logs in, one logs out. Another logs in, another logs out. Such is the way of the force. (08:29:16) Temple Bot: steamboat28 logs into the Chat. (08:29:19) Temple Bot: Axiom_Eleven has been logged out (Timeout).
    • The Role of Logic (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Every argument has a bias. There is no "cold logic." It exists in theory, but anytime logic is put into practice there is a bias. Whether that's a bias toward the known (facts) or a bias toward the unknown (ignorance) or the unproveable (emotion) doesn't really matter. Even what most people might perceive as a coldly logical decision (ordering the death of one to save five hundred, for example) is still rooted in a bias toward those 500 based on some intuition or information. That infomation could be as factual as "There is a greater potential for continued survival and good in these 500 than in that 1", or it could be a personal emotional bias, such as "I would feel personally responsible either way, and I can live with murdering one easier than I could live with murdering five-hundred." The premise "All Jedi are cool" can still be true as a subjective "truth"; I think that all Jedi are cool. (I don't, incidentally, but that's another discussion for another thread.) The reason that subjective truths can work here occasionally is that when you look at whether or not an argument is logical, you must first discern validity, which requires you to presuppose the premises to be true, giving you an insight into the reasoning behind the reasoning of others. Everyone does think differently, and logic further helps us break down these subjective truths into more managable chunks: Quote: "Well, since I believe that all Jedi are cool..." "Do you, though?" "What?" "Do you believe that all Jedi are cool?" "Well...I guess not. I met this one guy and he was kind of a jerk. His name was steamboat28, and he came off really arrogant. Forget that guy." "Okay. Now that we've established that not all Jedi are cool, and that was part of the basis of your argument, would you like to restate your premise in a more truthful way, or abandon your conclusion?" "Alright, alright. Most Jedi are cool." As much as I rail against the idea of subjective truth in concrete, objective situations, subjective truths are extremely important in establishing or supporting personal bias, as well as every decision a person makes. We each form our own opinions about the "truth" of the world, and those subjective truths color our perceptions. It is through logical discourse that we may examine them, lay them bare, and discard them if we find them lacking. Furthermore, everyone does use logic, to one degree or another. If you don't believe me, find someone who says they don't and ask them to prove it. "Please explain how you reached the conclusion that you are not a logical person." They'll either give you premises to support their belief, or they'll realize they don't have any premises to support their believe (knowing, subconsciously, that they are necessary) and abandon it. That's how thought works. The question is whether or not people use correctly informed logic, which is where the study of Logic itself comes into play.
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by Tk768)
    • Check out The Custom Saber Shop. They have the MHS ( modular hilt system), where all the parts screw together. Even install electronics without soldering. And they can be changed down the road.
    • Thankful for you and winter travel tips (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • To those of you that celebrate Thanksgiving, in whatever form have a wonderful day today. If you do not I, still thankful you are here. I really do consider the temple here a second home. Last night I helped assist in an accident that really brought into focus for me being prepared. My family are all ham radio operators for exactly what happend last night. Our area has been pounded nonstop with snow for weeks. Last. Night was no exception and as I was coming home from teaching at the college (30 miles) in the middle of a area with no cell reception was a car in the ditch. Without getting into many details she was injured and needed help calling 911. Roads were terrible with at least a foot of snow on them and very slick. Thankfully I did have my radio and was able to call for help and stayed talking to the person until EMS did show up. In bad weather there are a few things people can be prepared for. 1. Always carry an emergency first aid kit. Not for the ten reasons I can think of but the hundreds I can not. Include extra batteries too for your flashlight and such. 2. Winter conditions require extra precautions, have extra clothes, sweatshirts, pants, socks, etc. blankets, hand and foot warmers, even extra boots if it's going to be bad. 3. Have something to eat, such as a few candy bars, my husband is diabetic so I carry them anyway but just add to the kit for the winter, some granola bars. Just basic stuff. 4. Always allow extra time. The last two weeks it's taken me two hours to go 30 miles To go home. Don't ride brakes either, pump gently, slamming brakes equals ditch. 5. If you go off the road, remain calm. Nothing causes more trouble than someone freaking out. That goes for someone you check to see if they are okay. You can't help them if you are scared too. 6. Check out the Jedi Bystander thread. Phortis has some great information here, and nothing can replace training for sure, but knowing what you can, are capable of and cannot do are also valuable in situations like this. 7. Understand that sometimes there really isn't anything you can do physically but like last night, just keeping her company till EMS got there was a great comfort, she was safe warm and had someone to talk to. Average response time in the UP to an accident is about 40 minutes, because everyone is volunteer and have to get out of where ever they are to get mobilized. If anyone else has anything to add please do. It's a hard time of year when weather conditions makes travel difficult, especially in the Midwest. Please take your time, stay safe, eat lots of turkey and have a great day, Love you all, Happy Thanksgiving Roz
    • Padawan (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: How come we call new members "member", or "novice" instead of Padawan? A New member of the Jedi order was referred to as a Padawan until he/she became an apprentice. Because the term "padawan" appears exclusively after the theatrical release of Episode I, when the depiction of the Jedi focused less on what made the path applicable to us and more on midichlorians and Ray Park doing wushu in face paint. Before that, they were just apprentices, a term more friendly and accessible to the non-SW-inclined.

There are 472 visitors, 7 guests and 35 members online (none in chat): Br. John, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Connor L., Adder, Adhara, Desolous, Proteus, V-Tog, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, zeronycon, Edan, Silvermane, SilverWolf, babyblueyes247, Zenchi, Pyrus Erath, Jamie Stick, SeventhSL, Revan Falton, Exarchias, Culla, Rocda, RaB, almosteasy69, dr.seiss, LinaLightbringer, seshanaga.

Follow Us