The Force and Consciousness

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 17:11 #117398

If your question is, "Does the Force have consciousness?" I would interpret that as, "Is there consciousness within the Force?" to which I would reply that the answer is quite obviously yes. I am a part of the Force and I have consciousness so therefore the Force has consciousness.

If the question intended however was, "Is the Force a consciousness?" I might hesitate to answer. The Force in my belief is not a single consciousness, it is however a collective consciousness. There are billions of consciousnesses all coming together and there are forms of consciousness we cannot explain. I feel that there is no simple answer to this question as posed because consciousness is not an exact science, and mayhaps it never will be. It all comes down to belief and in the end neither side can "win" in the consciousness vs. non-consciousness debate because there is not definitive proof.

So, does the Force have consciousness or does it not?
I must agree with Proteus in saying both and neither.

It is similar to the study of light.
When you test light to see if it acts as a particle, it does.
However when you test light to see if it acts like a wave, it also does.
Is light a particle or a wave?
It is simultaneously both and neither.

It is important to remember that what is observed corresponds directly to how it is being observed.

May the Force be with you,
Rai
The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant;

It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

Apprentice under Training Master Ryujin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Wescli Wardest, Proteus, Lykeios

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 19:18 #117415

JohnsonMD wrote:
Let me pose the following question for discussion:

Does the Force have Consciousness?

For the purposes of this discussion, let us assume:
  • Consciousness is defined as: the quality or state of being aware of an external object or something within oneself; Sentience, awareness, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness, having a sense of selfhood, and the executive control system of the mind.

If possible, please provide some foundation to your answer - so as to help define what that may be (or not be) and provide insight for those also seeking such knowledge.

Nope The force is a sum but not the whole. Made up of all living forces but is not life or a life as defined above. If it were it would be beyond us anyway and beyond our ability to understand it but that doesn't mean we can know of it.

Don't over/deep think or try too hard to define this stuff this stuff. Just live it. :)

Does a small child deep think or define how to walk? Nope, it just gets up and learns how to walk. :)

Good question though.

Qi "The more general probllem of impeded qi flow is experiencing yourself as a passive victim of circumstances that cause the conditions of your life. By contrast, in qigong we learn to exprience ourselves as empowered participants in our health and self development." Kevin D. Schoeninger

The Force and Consciousness 05 Sep 2013 22:06 #117424

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Some of the thoughts provided I can find common ground with, some of them I cannot.

However, said discussion has brought up topics and other aspects that didn't cross my mind prior, or served to either support or deny what I had already thought.

In the end...I have found this productive and worthwhile.

Thanks!
"There are attempts, and there are accomplishments. Histories only praise one."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raikoutenshi
Last Edit: 05 Sep 2013 22:06 by JohnsonMD.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 06:39 #118261

JohnsonMD wrote:
sidvkili wrote:
JohnsonMD wrote:
Can you expand on the why/how of that Alexandre?

does everything need deep thought?

I could just respond to that by stating, "yes," but wouldn't be helpful now would it. ;)

Everything needs deep thought so that it can be understood, especially those things which are not self evident. The alternative is to know blindly, which imo is folly.

For example; the boots that I just put on my feet and laced up. They at one point required deep thought(s) so that I could come to understand that:
- They protect my feet,
- they are made out of this and that material,
- they are not water-proof! :(
- they are within the regulations (Army)

etc, etc

That level of thinking isn't too complicated, but it does require that I think about it further than just putting something on my feet and calling it a boot.

Things such as the Force, or God, or dogmatic approaches to life and the great mysteries therein require deep thought. Now, maybe that deep thought is not so deep for other people - however, it is necessary for me to have this understanding. Thus, if I ask for clarification, it is so that I can think more deeply upon what is said to me and thusly apply it to my line of thinking. Answers like, "yes" etc, are not helpful in that cause and only serve to complicate an already complicated issue (regardless of the ease at which the one who states such finds the issue complicated for them or not).

Hope that helps to explain where I am coming from.

yeah, it proves my point.
everything doesn't need deep thought. You need or want deep thought.

I stole my friends lunch a few days ago. Why? because I was hungry and I wanted what he had. Did you understand why I did it? Did it have deep thought?

Nope
forget about your sin!

give the audience a grin!

hahahahahahaha

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 11:17 #118270

A hypothetical scenario:

Premise 1: I define the Force as an existing, transcendental, conscious, eternal, interactive being. A being that fits not this description is not the Force.
Premise 2: The being we talk about is the Force.
Conclusion: Therefore, the being has consciousness i.e. the Force has consciousness.

This is a form of the ontological argument for the existence of God - by defining an entity in a certain way it becomes impossible for any entity under the same label in the course of the given discussion to be anything else. That way you can prove any property the entity might have like consciousness or existence: If it had not the property, the label would no longer fit.

Now the flaw is, of course, that it can prove everything and therefore is useless in proving anything.
You define the Force as something conscious (or not), and it is conscious (or not) so long as it is the Force.
You define it as existing and it exists so long as it is the Force (or not).
You define it as both invisible and pink and so it becomes. You can see where I'm going here.

Since we haven't observed an entity that we agreed to call the Force, our only way to speak of its properties is in defining it as whatever each of us wants it to be. That's a fun exercise but utterly useless in the end for its only potential is to create disagreements which can not be resolved - while it helps us no bit in learning anything about the Force.

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 13:08 #118275

• Alan
  • Knight
  • ID: 10670
A discussion regarding definitions is a helpful beginning to understanding, especially for us as we seek wisdom about the nature of the Force.

Some forms of consciousness are highly cognitive while others are less so, and still other forms (meditation, for example) lack that aspect of consciousness that we might call thinking (that is, thinking as an inner dialogue of words and images about some particular idea or object, cognition as problem-solving, and the like). It has been helpful for me to blur the distinctions that traditionally separate feeling and thinking. Think with the body. Eventually, as Alexander suggests, the cognitive activity of thinking about the Force fades as one lives it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 14:05 #118280

• Streen
  • ID: 2215
JohnsonMD wrote:
Does the Force have Consciousness?

Well, the way I see it, we have consciousness, and we are one with the Force, so by extension the Force has consciousness.
Whatever we experience as existing,
as continuing in time,
is not so much persistent stuff
as repetitive rhythm or vibration.

—Alan Watts

The Force and Consciousness 14 Sep 2013 14:48 #118290

Alan wrote:
A discussion regarding definitions is a helpful beginning to understanding, especially for us as we seek wisdom about the nature of the Force.
Bull. If one wishes to learn something about a topic, one better starts studying it and not making things up. Interestingly, if the subject is something real, the observations usually can be confirmed intersubjectively. Now, reality, of course, is in some areas a rather blurry term, but let's not go down that track just yet. Saying that defining a thing helps you understand it, is an admission that the thing in question is not real. Conversely, if it is real, whatever time we spend defining its properties on our own rather than observing them on the object, will be wasted.

Either way, the Force was never too clearly defined here so what the OP ends up with after this thread, is being alone left to make his own opinion on the subject - something he might as well have gotten without this thread altogether.

Also, noone is doing the entirety of the Jedi community any service by defining the Force in his own way. Its not that there haven't been way too well defined gods before and have we not seen enough of where that usually leads? And yet, leaving it undefined leaves the question unanswered... Tough dilemma, isn't it? :D

However, I also realize that this question is more about opinions and less asking for a definite answer, so I should take this a bit easier, I suppose... :blush:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Coincidence and Synchronicity (Last post by Arcade)
    • Expanding on what Khaos wrote, this is one of my favorite pages on the 23 enigma: yiri.maniac.com/23.html I observe synchronicity in my life regularly and use it as a gauge for (among other things) whether or not I'm moving in a direction that's right for me at a particular time. The number 23 (in contrast to the common interpretation) signifies a positive direction for me. The way synchronicity works for me is as a sort of language that allows me to communicate with my subconscious mind and other mental, emotional, or physical aspects of myself to which I don't always have direct (or immediate) access. I believe there's an additional element to synchronicity that isn't currently scientifically verifiable, but I don't think a belief in anything other than the psychology of synchronicity is necessary to utilize it as an effective tool. For me, the line that separates the truth of synchronicity and its fiction isn't relevant. Synchronicity has been immeasurably beneficial and useful over the years. My feeling is that it's pointless to concern yourself with whether or not your encounters with synchronicity are simple coincidences. It's not likely coincidental that your mind chose to focus on specific signs or symbols, and there is often something meaningful to take from that realization alone. These are just my thoughts and opinions. You are welcome to PM me if you'd like to share some of your own ideas or experiences or want me to go into detail about mine. :)
    • Article: What if Marriage were Temporary? (Last post by Targeran Arynal)
    • Quote: We're still together because we're in love, not because we're married. Marriage is just a ceremony and a sign of commitment. Experience the love you have for your partner NOW whether you're married or not. I've never been married but this has always seemed the way of it to me in the successful marriages I have seen. I think that there is a real reason why marriage in almost all the traditional societies was enforced social obligation; it wasn't until around the middle ages in Europe that the idea of making a personal choice about who your spouse would be came onto the scene. It's why 'true love' is always talked about as being a 'magical' happening and in fairy tales - it is very very rare. I think it is also a shame that people are brought up to believe that marriage is something that should be a part of a normal life experience. Far from it I think. I mean, if you're lucky enough to have caring parents or even just one true friend you've got more going for you in the relationships department than most people in the world and throughout history. Expecting a fulfilling spousal relationship is setting yourself up for disappointment. Maybe more marriages would be successful if people saw it as more of a job than a picnic, at least you would start out building on honesty that way. Some people get married in order to create a situation that will be helpful for child rearing, I think this can be a successful way to go about things if both spouses are open and honest about the fact that the kids and not their own relationship with each other is the priority. Ultimately marriage is what you make or don't make of it. It is only as real as you and your partner say that it is. Every person is different, every relationship is different, every marriage is different, 100% unique from all others. The rule is that there are no rules, no way it is 'supposed to be.' Make of it what you will, or not. I hope everyone here is lucky enough to have someone special in their lives, whether it's a spouse or a child or a friend or family member or a Temple ( ;) ) or whatever. I really believe more and more every day that the whole point of all this living we are given to do is to be there for each other, in whatever context that may express itself. :cheer:
    • The Shadow (Last post by RyuJin)
    • I had to figure all that out the long difficult way, a long time ago, and it's what I've been telling others ever since... We do have a lesson in the degree forums that uses shamanic practices to find you shadow self and your inner child...
    • FAQ Update (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Finished merging all of the offices into one section: www.templeofthejediorder.org/faq#Offices Also removed lots of redundant words, there was a lot of "The current [insert office title] is: [name]" changed to "[insert office title]: [name]"
    • Books for Free (Public Domain) (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: I've posted some of these on my wall previously, but I think they deserve a thread, and as an avid book collector this is quite close to my heart. There are a lot of books out there that are now in the public domain but you might find sites like Amazon still charging for printed or kindle copies of them. Below are some websites where you can find these public domain books: Books Should Be Free Project Gutenberg Global Grey (This one is a bit easier to look through than the first two and has some interesting stuff, especially for religion, philosophy, history and occult subjects) Feedbooks Authorama (Perhaps a nice mod could sticky this?.... maybe, maybe :) ) Each of those links was added to the library: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/library Thank you.
    • Dream job? (Last post by Adder)
    • So intel is your preferred, but you'd rather avoid military and do not want to do a degree straight out of school... Police could be an entry point for getting a grounding in working with people in gathering intelligence (about criminal activities), and after a while you could do some part-time study in intelligence type of Uni degree's which would then give you a good angle to get a desk job in the departments intelligence areas. I'm not sure it is at all physical as an intel analyst, but perhaps a bit as an intel collector. There are also other departments within Policing which you might be attracted to once you've been on the beat for awhile. From there perhaps get a post graduate degree (employer paying for it is ideal, else part time online/distance are options these days) in international relations and try to angle into some secret squirrel government job or just switch to the public service more generally. Reality probably will be you will have to compete with degree qualified jobseekers for most jobs these days (and promotions once in), so while you don't need to get a degree straight out of school it is something to consider - after all, learning is a life long experience!!
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Renewables Now Produce 22 Percent Of The Worlds Energy. Last year, renewable power capacity expanded at its fastest pace yet, reaching nearly 22 percent of the global mix. Up from 21 percent in 2012 and 18 percent in 2007, that puts renewable electricity generation—from wind, solar, and hydro—on par with that of natural gas. But with uncertainty over policy support, the expansion of renewable energy will slow over the next five years, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency. Renewable energy could make up over a quarter of global electricity generation by 2020, according to the agency, but annual growth is expected to slow and stabilize after 2014—putting renewables at risk of falling short of global climate change goals. “Renewables are a necessary part of energy security. However, just when they are becoming a cost-competitive option in an increasing number of cases, policy and regulatory uncertainty is rising in some key markets. This stems from concerns about the costs of deploying renewables,” IEA’s Maria van der Hoeven says in a news release. “Governments must distinguish more clearly between the past, present and future, as costs are falling over time.” The report also provided a renewable power investment outlook. Through 2020, investment in new renewable power could average over $230 billion a year—though that’s lower than the $250 billion invested around the world in 2013. The decline is because unit costs are expected to fall, but also due to expectations that global capacity growth will slow. However, with the focus on electricity and transportation sectors, the contribution of renewables to heating and cooling remains underdeveloped. Although renewable energy sources are expected to grow by almost 25 percent in 2020, their share in energy use for heat rises to only 9 percent—up from 8 percent in 2013. [Via International Energy Agency] Read more at www.iflscience.com/environment/renewable...#C1dqdqFVQ7YpJtrO.99
    • The Code(s) (Last post by Gisteron)
    • What always troubled me about the revised "yet"-code, was, that, and you guys know me by now - I love me some precision - it always sounded like somebody is having trouble making up their mind. Yes, I hear them saying, it is about balance, middle path, zen, yadda-yadda-yadda... So what does that accomplish? We already know there are two sides to most issues, thanks for the info. Of course, short of the Force line, everything else in the orthodox code would resemble classical stoic teachings though, and the "yet"-framing is at best just failing to represent that and arguably speaks of the opposite instead. That's why the new pattern of displaying the codes as parallel and giving different views on "the same teaching" sounds discretely iffy to me, though I suppose that'd be a discussion all on its own, and with some brain spine breaking mental gymnastics there sure will be some apologetic to talk the elephant back out of the room when it didn't have to be brought in the first place... To be frank, and this is my opinion only, I think the "orthodox" code is by far the more useful one. Where the "yet" version only tells you that there just are some opposites here and there, it barely makes a judgement or prescription. It tells you nothing about what to strive for nor gives you insight into anything you hadn't already internalized by the time you read it. On the other hand, the "orthodox" code is way more judgemental and strict. That may not always be a good thing (the Temple has had its share of newcomers who needed that explained and smoothed out for them), and I also understand everyone who ever gets confused by the parallelistic format when the lines are so different (and please, someone, push me to finally write my complete essay/treatise of the orthodox code), but at least it makes a statement, which is, again, more than can be said of the "yet" version. Sorry if I was being harsh again :unsure:

There are 182 visitors, 9 guests and 28 members online (2  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, steamboat28, Shadouness, RyuJin, ren, Lightstrider, Adder, Proteus, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Clone_Warrior, Khaos, Gallileo Oortael, Arcade, Llama Su, Kamizu, elizabeth, Cyrith, wesleycook74, Edan, tzb, Senan, Zenchi, jadedbehan, carlos.martinez3, Chadius4, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Ilyowh Eclipseblast, Aqua, Sahyu.

Follow Us