Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Anyone see this? (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • Satanists? There's bound to be a few. Jedi who practice magick? There are several. Is this important, beyond the needs of idle curiosity? I have yet to make it through the whole film. It is painful to watch. But I do not think it really warrants a significant response. Not from each of us, and certainly not from the Temple as an organization. Or, we send them flowers and ask them out for pizza.
    • Jediism Book (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: So yeah... There's this... www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205300072483603 Printed as a thank you for Brother John sharing the file. Don't worry TK768, its going in the mail soon! An excellent piece of work!
    • Jediism and non Jediism, (Last post by Cabur Senaar)
    • One might argue that a Jedi would think a bit differently because they think in Jedi terms, use Jedi language. But that would be about it. Identifying as a Jedi does not grant insight right off top. It does not guarantee that one treats people well or makes good choices. To better or worse, Jedi are subject to the same set of human failings as anyone else. What makes a human being insightful is work, experience, and the ability to reflect. Jedi do not have a trademark on that in any way. Nor do I think it is necessary to be a Jedi in order to live well. I figure Jedi that are insightful and live a good life do it in a way that aligns with their approach to the Jedi path. This may not address your question precisely, but it needs saying now and again: being a Jedi doesn't make you better.
    • here's a thought. (Last post by ren)
    • Steam as I said before there is indeed no formal classification system for humans. It does not exist, the subject became taboo before geneticists existed. So no, I can't use formal taxonomic terms, THEY DO NOT EXIST. There has never been a proper genetic classsification of humans, the only species that seems exempt. Only very few fields have been studied because they are linked to health issues, and when categories are created they usually carry the name of the particular gene being studied. Why you keep on pushing this on even though there are pretty good grounds for you to have guessed by now that this very probably affects my family is beyond me. You keep mentioning this social race nonsense, which I consider racist because it links genetic heritage to culture and social status. I have zero interest in it and plan on continuing to have zero interest in it. Why you seem so worked up about it is beyond understanding. Maybe you ought to read about what "phenotype" actually means, and how genotype is actually part of it. Quote: So that example is not a good example I don't think for gender discrimination of that type being introduced in part by OP, also especially not the breast example specifically, as in western societies female breasts are usually considered private. Quite a few men only club's had to close up or allow women, but I notice there are women only gym's etc. I always thought it was only religious institutions that were allowed to bypass certain anti-discrimination law. So on reflection 'health' must have an angle in there also.... I do not mind a bit of positive discrimination so long as it's transparent and available to both genders to meet the same types of need. I consider all parts of my body private, and would normally be pretty pissed off if random people touched me the way a doctor touches my neck, puts stuff in my ears, my mouth, etc. But the way I see it doctors can do it because I trust them as professionals doing professional things. What about putting needles inside people? Isn't that supposed to be a BDSM thing? The same goes for people who have little or no training. Those healthcare assistants havent been through 10 years of medical training and have no PhDs, but still wipe bums for perfectly reasonable reasons and should be respected as such. I mean, if it' all about making the patients feeling comfortable, why don't we always get sexy hot nurses? If sexy barmaids cause patrons to drink more, surely recovery times could be improved by sexy nurses, right? :D Etc lol I digress. Men get mammograms also. Excellent point about the women-only gyms, though apparently women don't like them this much. Those who go to my gym (private health club) often clearly are there to show off. Someone mentioned lululemons in another thread, I swear some people stacked up on those "faulty" transparent ones as they never seem to run out. We have more women than men during the day and some clearly are competing. All of this of course is excellent news for men, as apparently staring at breasts for 10 minutes is just as good for men's health as a 30 minute workout.
    • Missing the Holidays? (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • So far this year, this is the first holiday (Thanksgiving) that I have been home. But for the members of my cutter, this is the first holiday they have been home for most of the year. I remember mentioning that I planned on still celebrating my son’s birthday when I got off patrol a few weeks back, and I got the response of: "It’s already past and gone. Mommy joined the Coast Guard, she’s going to miss special days.” Why they feel like holidays have to be static is beyond me. I’ve been with a few different families that find holidays are flexible. They might celebrate it more than once in the week/month because they are sharing it with different members of their family (biological and extended). So this is sort of a message for those of you that cannot be home for the holidays, but will be able to make it home within reason- holidays like Thanksgiving, Easter, Birthdays, Christmas and other such “big” days do not need to be static. You can still enjoy them with the ones you love if you are in a position where you have to work. Even in history the dates (save really Birthdays) have changed to fit where they are today. Why not allow a bit of flexibility in your own schedule? To the world of all those that have to work this holiday season: Happy Holidays, you are appreciated.
    • Chat "Irony". (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: (08:10:57) Axiom_Eleven: One logs in, one logs out. Another logs in, another logs out. Such is the way of the force. (08:29:16) Temple Bot: steamboat28 logs into the Chat. (08:29:19) Temple Bot: Axiom_Eleven has been logged out (Timeout).
    • The Role of Logic (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Every argument has a bias. There is no "cold logic." It exists in theory, but anytime logic is put into practice there is a bias. Whether that's a bias toward the known (facts) or a bias toward the unknown (ignorance) or the unproveable (emotion) doesn't really matter. Even what most people might perceive as a coldly logical decision (ordering the death of one to save five hundred, for example) is still rooted in a bias toward those 500 based on some intuition or information. That infomation could be as factual as "There is a greater potential for continued survival and good in these 500 than in that 1", or it could be a personal emotional bias, such as "I would feel personally responsible either way, and I can live with murdering one easier than I could live with murdering five-hundred." The premise "All Jedi are cool" can still be true as a subjective "truth"; I think that all Jedi are cool. (I don't, incidentally, but that's another discussion for another thread.) The reason that subjective truths can work here occasionally is that when you look at whether or not an argument is logical, you must first discern validity, which requires you to presuppose the premises to be true, giving you an insight into the reasoning behind the reasoning of others. Everyone does think differently, and logic further helps us break down these subjective truths into more managable chunks: Quote: "Well, since I believe that all Jedi are cool..." "Do you, though?" "What?" "Do you believe that all Jedi are cool?" "Well...I guess not. I met this one guy and he was kind of a jerk. His name was steamboat28, and he came off really arrogant. Forget that guy." "Okay. Now that we've established that not all Jedi are cool, and that was part of the basis of your argument, would you like to restate your premise in a more truthful way, or abandon your conclusion?" "Alright, alright. Most Jedi are cool." As much as I rail against the idea of subjective truth in concrete, objective situations, subjective truths are extremely important in establishing or supporting personal bias, as well as every decision a person makes. We each form our own opinions about the "truth" of the world, and those subjective truths color our perceptions. It is through logical discourse that we may examine them, lay them bare, and discard them if we find them lacking. Furthermore, everyone does use logic, to one degree or another. If you don't believe me, find someone who says they don't and ask them to prove it. "Please explain how you reached the conclusion that you are not a logical person." They'll either give you premises to support their belief, or they'll realize they don't have any premises to support their believe (knowing, subconsciously, that they are necessary) and abandon it. That's how thought works. The question is whether or not people use correctly informed logic, which is where the study of Logic itself comes into play.
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by Tk768)
    • Check out The Custom Saber Shop. They have the MHS ( modular hilt system), where all the parts screw together. Even install electronics without soldering. And they can be changed down the road.
    • Thankful for you and winter travel tips (Last post by Jedi_Roz)
    • To those of you that celebrate Thanksgiving, in whatever form have a wonderful day today. If you do not I, still thankful you are here. I really do consider the temple here a second home. Last night I helped assist in an accident that really brought into focus for me being prepared. My family are all ham radio operators for exactly what happend last night. Our area has been pounded nonstop with snow for weeks. Last. Night was no exception and as I was coming home from teaching at the college (30 miles) in the middle of a area with no cell reception was a car in the ditch. Without getting into many details she was injured and needed help calling 911. Roads were terrible with at least a foot of snow on them and very slick. Thankfully I did have my radio and was able to call for help and stayed talking to the person until EMS did show up. In bad weather there are a few things people can be prepared for. 1. Always carry an emergency first aid kit. Not for the ten reasons I can think of but the hundreds I can not. Include extra batteries too for your flashlight and such. 2. Winter conditions require extra precautions, have extra clothes, sweatshirts, pants, socks, etc. blankets, hand and foot warmers, even extra boots if it's going to be bad. 3. Have something to eat, such as a few candy bars, my husband is diabetic so I carry them anyway but just add to the kit for the winter, some granola bars. Just basic stuff. 4. Always allow extra time. The last two weeks it's taken me two hours to go 30 miles To go home. Don't ride brakes either, pump gently, slamming brakes equals ditch. 5. If you go off the road, remain calm. Nothing causes more trouble than someone freaking out. That goes for someone you check to see if they are okay. You can't help them if you are scared too. 6. Check out the Jedi Bystander thread. Phortis has some great information here, and nothing can replace training for sure, but knowing what you can, are capable of and cannot do are also valuable in situations like this. 7. Understand that sometimes there really isn't anything you can do physically but like last night, just keeping her company till EMS got there was a great comfort, she was safe warm and had someone to talk to. Average response time in the UP to an accident is about 40 minutes, because everyone is volunteer and have to get out of where ever they are to get mobilized. If anyone else has anything to add please do. It's a hard time of year when weather conditions makes travel difficult, especially in the Midwest. Please take your time, stay safe, eat lots of turkey and have a great day, Love you all, Happy Thanksgiving Roz
    • Padawan (Last post by steamboat28)
    • Quote: How come we call new members "member", or "novice" instead of Padawan? A New member of the Jedi order was referred to as a Padawan until he/she became an apprentice. Because the term "padawan" appears exclusively after the theatrical release of Episode I, when the depiction of the Jedi focused less on what made the path applicable to us and more on midichlorians and Ray Park doing wushu in face paint. Before that, they were just apprentices, a term more friendly and accessible to the non-SW-inclined.
    • Who's responsibility? (Last post by Tk768)
    • Not to step on any toes but for most people Social Security is not a charity. It was a savings account that earns interest, so that when one retired or can no longer work, they have some money to help support themselves. I hat SS being called a welfare or a charity, or a government handout. To use references like that is like saying money you've put into your private savings is welfare. Our government broke the law when they started dipping their hands into our SS accounts, and like a bunch of uneducated cowards we sat back and let them continue to do it.
    • Rape Culture (Last post by ChaosMerdy)
    • After having read some (though admittedly not all) comments on this thread, there is something I feel must be clarified. Now, when I say this, I want you all to know that I am by no means a blind follower of feminism or of any other socio-political movement, as I feel its important to be a free and critical thinker in all things. That being said, I caution my fellow Jedi here on the danger of falling down the slippery slope that states that all feminists are extremists intent on oppressing men. I completely agree with the OP that gender discrimination flows both ways and that it is dangerous to paint all men as oppressors and all women as victims. Men and women both get raped, assaulted and discriminated against based on their specific sex parts. Even so, however, it seems that the vast majority of human cultures on Earth, whether subtly or overtly, grant men more privilege than women in society. There are of course exceptions (traditional aboriginal cultures for one, among others) and there are many cases where women have official equality with men (such as under the laws of most western democratic nations). The problem is, we still however live in a society where rape is normalized. The example given of gamers using phrases such as "I got raped!" or "I raped you!" to describe defeat or victory in video games is a dangerous example of that. Society and the media find excuses for rape and downplay or demonize movements like feminism which oppose rape culture. I'm from Canada, and recently a prominent host from one of the CBC's radio shows, Jian Ghomeshi, was accused of raping a coworker. My first reaction was caution and a desire to see more evidence and a fair trial ensue since, whatever else he may have done, the man is still a Canadian citizen and deserves that much. I was very much shot down by several extremists for this opinion, so I get the concern that men's opinions are trivialized. Even so, however, more testimony has since come out, and its becoming clearer by the day that Ghomeshi is guilty. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that while there is truth to the fact that sexism happens to both women and men, rape culture is very much wrong and must be opposed. To do so, I feel Jedi and Feminists and every other decent member of Homo Sapiens Sapiens is going to need to make a conscious effort to change things. Education is the first step on this path. Anyway, just my two cents! May the Force be with you all! :)
    • Fear Leads to Anger... (Last post by Brenna)
    • Disclaimer: Expressed the views of Yoda only are hmmm, yeees. Not necessarily do they represent the views of council, no they do not. Guidelines only are the teaching and words of Yoda. Individual results may vary.

There are 356 visitors, 5 guests and 30 members online (3  in chat): Akkarin, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, ren, Joe, Adhara, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, PatrickB, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, SilverWolf, babyblueyes247, Frost, Jamie Stick, Kanto, Cabur Senaar, Aqua, Revan Falton, Exarchias, Dragonspeakerz, almosteasy69, Tk768, dr.seiss, MrBruno, LinaLightbringer, seshanaga.

Follow Us