NUS Won't Condemn ISIS Because of "Islamophobia"

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165073 by
I've put this is the humour section, because I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry :P :unsure:

http://tab.co.uk/2014/10/14/nus-refuses-to-condemn-terrorists-because-its-islamophobic/

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Sadly the NUS (National Union of Students) is a complete and utter shambles I am ashamed to have "representing" me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165288 by

Akkarin wrote: I've put this is the humour section, because I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry :P :unsure:

http://tab.co.uk/2014/10/14/nus-refuses-to-condemn-terrorists-because-its-islamophobic/

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Sadly the NUS (National Union of Students) is a complete and utter shambles I am ashamed to have "representing" me.

Wow, I can not believe what I just read.

And as an American, and a former soldier in the US Military, our "attacks" are laughable at best. In my personal opinion its just used for political approval to make it look like to the voters that our Administration is doing something about the situation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #165523 by Alethea Thompson
....laugh...or cry....

I can see how that would be a difficult decision... What on earth... Is there a transcript of some sort documenting the discussion over this????

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #165529 by
I'm not sure why they feel it necessary to comment on matters of international conflict at all. Surely there are better things they could be doing with their time than debating the relative merits of making wholly pointless "condemnations" of terrorist groups?

I think you picked the right forum.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165531 by

tzb wrote: I'm not sure why they feel it necessary to comment on matters of international conflict at all. Surely there are better things they could be doing with their time than debating the relative merits of making wholly pointless "condemnations" of terrorist groups?

I think you picked the right forum.

The NUS sticks its nose in far too many places it shouldn't. A common criticism I've heard is that it is basically a clique of elitist individuals who actually have an interest in its functioning, while the vast majority of students neither care nor pay attention to anything our "union" ever does lol.

An interesting point is raised though about people being "scared" of intellectual discourse on particular subjects for fear of it being misinterpreted as racism (or another -ism).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #165532 by
In my experience many people get involved in the NUS in order to move into politics later on. At least, that's their plan.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi