Sleep Habits

Moderators: Adder, Desolous
  • Page:

Sleep Habits 03 Apr 2012 15:02 #55159

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
This morning, while searching for things to do in the morning when everyone else is still asleep, I ran across this article I thought I would share: 17 Ways to Wake Up Feeling Fresh in the Morning.

Yes, it has a long name, but it made me realize (even more) the importance of having a regular schedule and healthy habits.

I would love to hear your thoughts about any/all of these and any other suggestions that have worked for you to have a restful sleep and wake up feeling good. :)

May the Force be with you all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Aceboizor, Darren, Desolous, Harvestpaw, Falo

Sleep Habits 03 Apr 2012 22:50 #55253

I've had sleep issues for many years now. I'm a light sleeper and I frequently awaken during the night. On top of that I am also a heavy snorer (my fiancee loves this) and suffer from sleep apnea. The fact that I have to get up at 5 am doesn't help either. So I'm usually always tired to some extent.

Nobody should underestimate what a good night's rest could do for you. It's not only beneficial physically but emotionally and mentally as well.

Thanks for posting this. I hope some of these can prove helpful to me.
Love Is My Religion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 05:11 #55944

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
That's a good article and there are a few pointers I definitely need to be better at:

1) Get up straight away (no snoozing)

2) Go to bed and get up at the same times each day (something I'm failing at as I type this, haha)

----

On the other hand, I am definitely a night exerciser; if I exercise in the morning, it seriously tires me out the rest of the day. I exercise at night and am usually exhausted and fall right to sleep.

Anyway, thanks for posting the article!

I think I'm going to bed now, haha.

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 05:35 #55945

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
The other person in the bed can be a distraction if they toss and turn. We tried getting rid of the big mattress but kept its base and got 2 single mattresses onto the larger base... and it was enough difference to not notice the other person rolling around. Pillow top mattresses seem to make the edge borders, which would otherwise stuck up in the middle, almost unnoticeable - so its just as big, but better buffered being technically separate. Works good!

PS: King base + 2 Long-size Single mattresses fit perfectly, so 2 long singles beds next to each other must be the same as a King size bed but probably cheaper!!

Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 15:13 #55987

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
What about sleep number beds? That's what I have. It's a king and it's on the ground on the bases.. There are two bases..?

Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 20:47 #56016

That's a really good idea Adder. I'm a fitful sleeper, constantly kicking and tossing and turning. I think my fiancée would like the idea of two separate mattresses on one frame.
Love Is My Religion

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 21:50 #56021

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Yes your right Reliah, the King is on two seperate frames, but we have the little hook thing connecting them so a it tends to behave like a single unit. Its also really easy to move the bed if you move houses!!!! Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't seen sleep numbers, looks interesting thanks.

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 02:14 #58342

• Jerriko
  • Novice
  • ID: 10270
I've always had trouble sleeping, there are times where I lay in bed and can't feel tired or even drift into sleep at all, or constantly awaken. Then there are days in which I sleep perfectly, wish I could pinpoint whats going on. But I might have to look into changing up my sleep habits even if it might be a tad difficult :P
“The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 05:24 #58351

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
There's an app I got on my HTC called SleepBot and basically it tracks how long you sleep for each night and then shows how much debt you have. So if you need to sleep more or less. Its been really useful recently

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 07:01 #58353

• Jerriko
  • Novice
  • ID: 10270
I like it >:3
“The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”
  • Page:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • The Poem: The art of writing without words (Last post by Aqua)
    • Thank you for your reaction, It is quite helpfull indeed, and I will use the thread. I have seen multiple poems all over the forum, I think that it would be handy to assign a spesiffic place for them. I am already happy that you could help me with finding a suitable thread! Thank you!!
    • School of Life Short lessons (Last post by Vusuki)
    • We sometimes talk about mediation. While there is a risk and even danger in complicating (or ruining) matters by offering various different systems of 'meditation' here is a different system that I'm not sure I would even call meditation by the School of Life. It might however be useful to those more interested in hearing their own thoughts and perhaps to some extent accepting them... Enjoy!
    • The Sixth Extinction (Last post by Adder)
    • Another view of the most recent mass extinction event is climate change from Volcanic 'Traps' en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_Traps If one were to consider us creations of Earth, then it could be viewed as the natural course of evolution :pinch: Population growth is going to speed species extinctions up one way or the other, so I often wonder what we do with what we've got is more important then pretending the impact of population growth is going to stop and think harm minimization is going to achieve any difference in isolation to the full range of problems. All species are going to be vulnerable to something. I guess in a few hundred years colonization of the Moon has caused havoc with the tides so much that its killing types of marine life!! Should we leave? What sort of impact would it have!? For me the biggest problem with staying is the population growth. I read yesterday a disturbing article about limiting families to one child, for how it might not be the best idea; China's one-child policy breeds 'little emperors with skewed values', writer Xinran Xue says www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-25/chinas-on...-writer-says/6495666 Spoilt single child syndrome to the nth degree :blink:
    • Live Service : Monday, 25 May - 18:00 UTC (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: My apologies for missing it at the last moment. :( A small poem to let go, have no worries ;) ~Aqua ______________________ I am nobody! Who are you? Are you - Nobody - Too? Then there is a pair of us! Do not Tell! advertice - you know! How dreary - to be - Somebody! How public - like a Frog - To tell one his name - the livelong June - To an admiring Bog! - Emily Dickinson ______________________ [image]
    • Nature - Animals (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • oh thats just awesome! oatmeal is new to me and very cool mucho gracias amigo and mantis shrimps are like dc comics answer to sponge bob square pants
    • Higher Education (Last post by LuCrae Jiddu)
    • Morning Locksley, I attended one of the top public universities in the US, often calling itself a public ivy. I transferred in after attending two junior/community colleges and found the studying to be of a much higher quality, yet still not living up to the navel gazing standards claimed. Some of my classes did not seem worth the thousands of dollars I was spending for each credit. However, many of my classes expanded my horizons giving me new perspectives on life or new life skills I now apply at work. Ultimately, I think most of us would agree that college seems too expensive for the material gained, but with that said, would also agree that college has opened many doors previously closed off. Be mindful of your purpose for attending; some attend for careers, others for personal growth. The cost/benefit may come down to your choice of subject area, depending on your reason for attending. It sounds like you are in the same situation I was with little outside money to help, and the majority of payment coming from grants, scholarships, and financial aid (debt). That is ok, repayment is based on income and often gives 20-30 to repay. Don't squander your time, enjoy your studies, broaden your horizon, and for the love of God try to study abroad or get a good internship and you'll do great things. EDIT: As far as grad school, is the school you are thinking of attending accredited? This plus your GRE, GMAT, LSAT etc (depending on area of study and school applying to) are the most important factors in the grad school accepting your undergraduate studies. I wouldn't worry too much about the grad school 'respecting' your undergraduate school of choice. Here is some anecdotal evidence. My cousin, a beautiful mind to say the least, knew he wanted to get into theoretical physics in high school. So, his dad being a teacher connected him with one of the better schools in the area's physics department for a guidance discussion. While talking with the professor, my cousin was told, "don't worry about where you get your BS, just worry about how well you do." He took this to heart, stayed close to his family so he could focus on studying, got through Calc 5 (a foreign language I'm pretty sure) and graduate with top honors; this all from a smaller school in Bellingham WA that hardly anyone outside of the PNW has heard of. Upon graduation my cousin was offered a few job opportunities, but decided to forego them for the all expenses paid graduate program at OSU where he know studies and researches high level nano physics. He didn't go to MIT or Standford, but still ended up doing what he loves because he focused on the important aspects of his education, the quality, his grades.
    • Ratcliffe, Adder, Apprenticeship, 2015 (Last post by Aqua)
    • May the joy of learning strengthen your bond, I hope that the lessons you two will discover will strengthen the temple. So may the force be with us. Congratulations Ratcliffe and Adder. ~ Aqua
    • To the Fatty on the Track (Last post by ren)
    • "baking soda" is sodium bicarbonate, and as the name suggests, it's high in sodium. Only people on a very tightly controlled diet can possibly benefit from it, and then again it could only possibly be in small quantities, and the people in question would be athletes under the supervision of a doctor. Most people (including the fat ones who need a machine to breathe at night) do not need such a strong acidity regulator. You're better off using it as a fire extinguisher or to clean the toilet. Swimming is an excellent way of building lean muscle. Eat fruit/veg/meats. Need to bulk up? Farmers use steroids on their livestock. You could add weights to that. Thing is though, fat people already are quite strong, and already burn more calories than their slimmer counterparts in everyday activities. A 70 kg guy lifting 20kg weights on barbell squats is doing a significantly weaker workout than a 120kg fatty doing plain squats.
    • Best martial art? (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: As a general rule I try to stay out of these discussions, but this one has dragged on and on for quite a while now. There is no best martial art. The problems people have with any art of this nature, lies within their own understanding of the arts. The art is not the problem, the way they use it is. The amount of training they actually put into it is. It doesn't matter if you have a blackbelt in any of these systems of fighting, if you don't actually know how to defend yourself. There is a huge differemce between a mat and a bunch of rules designed to keep people safe, and an actual fight. I'm worthless on a mat in a tournament, but I can hold my own and often protect myself out on the streets better than most people who have any kind of rank in any system. You can always learn from everyone, on any thing, and when it comes to fighting, the whole reason for martial arts, is to not fight. That is the ultimate aim of the study of these arts. ~Calanon If I may be so free, why would someone learn marterial arts, if he/she is learning to never use it? It sounds like a contradiction. I feel confused.. :blush: All the founders of the arts taught them as a method to keep peace. They train to reach the point where they don't have to fight. They are taught for self discipline, self respect, respect of others, health, etc.. I do not take pride in my ability to be violent. I'm really good at it. But The only reason I have ever felt the need to use it is for defense of myself and my family. I abhor violence, and wish for peace, but you can't just have peace by avoiding violence. Sometimes you have to use it. It is a sad day when you have to. But sometimes it is necessary. Read The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba. I have trained for many years in several arts of budo and kobudo, but the more I learned the more emotional I developed.. I do not wish to fight or hit anyone ever again. Fighting gives me not so happy feelings, makes me a feeling like hurting people for selfish reasons. I have respect for you that you are capable to do it, not every person is the same. And I guess the world needs a little bit of everything.. :unsure: Thank you for your explanation.

There are 653 visitors, 8 guests and 38 members online (none in chat): Daniel L., Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Shadouness, Jestor, Adder, Adhara, Proteus, V-Tog, Locksley, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Zenchi, Pyrus Erath, Calanon, Goken, Matsukaze, Aqua, focone oceanlast, GalUnDrux, Jeffery Williams, Faol, Rocda, Tk768, Loudzoo, Atticus509, Krieger, Howl, MaGnA CrYsTaL, WayneTec, Protonix, CryojenX, Wolf43, Plasmawiz, Ana Karen Po, TheGreyRabbit.

Follow Us