Sleep Habits

Moderators: Adder, Desolous
  • Page:

Sleep Habits 03 Apr 2012 15:02 #55159

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
This morning, while searching for things to do in the morning when everyone else is still asleep, I ran across this article I thought I would share: 17 Ways to Wake Up Feeling Fresh in the Morning.

Yes, it has a long name, but it made me realize (even more) the importance of having a regular schedule and healthy habits.

I would love to hear your thoughts about any/all of these and any other suggestions that have worked for you to have a restful sleep and wake up feeling good. :)

May the Force be with you all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akkarin, Aceboizor, Darren, Desolous, Harvestpaw, Falo

Sleep Habits 03 Apr 2012 22:50 #55253

I've had sleep issues for many years now. I'm a light sleeper and I frequently awaken during the night. On top of that I am also a heavy snorer (my fiancee loves this) and suffer from sleep apnea. The fact that I have to get up at 5 am doesn't help either. So I'm usually always tired to some extent.

Nobody should underestimate what a good night's rest could do for you. It's not only beneficial physically but emotionally and mentally as well.

Thanks for posting this. I hope some of these can prove helpful to me.
Love Is My Religion
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 05:11 #55944

• LTK
  • Knight
  • ID: 8277
That's a good article and there are a few pointers I definitely need to be better at:

1) Get up straight away (no snoozing)

2) Go to bed and get up at the same times each day (something I'm failing at as I type this, haha)

----

On the other hand, I am definitely a night exerciser; if I exercise in the morning, it seriously tires me out the rest of the day. I exercise at night and am usually exhausted and fall right to sleep.

Anyway, thanks for posting the article!

I think I'm going to bed now, haha.

MTFBWY,
LTK
Master: Jestor
“I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them" -- Baruch Spinoza.

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 05:35 #55945

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
The other person in the bed can be a distraction if they toss and turn. We tried getting rid of the big mattress but kept its base and got 2 single mattresses onto the larger base... and it was enough difference to not notice the other person rolling around. Pillow top mattresses seem to make the edge borders, which would otherwise stuck up in the middle, almost unnoticeable - so its just as big, but better buffered being technically separate. Works good!

PS: King base + 2 Long-size Single mattresses fit perfectly, so 2 long singles beds next to each other must be the same as a King size bed but probably cheaper!!

Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 15:13 #55987

• Reliah
  • Knight
  • ID: 8859
What about sleep number beds? That's what I have. It's a king and it's on the ground on the bases.. There are two bases..?

Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 20:47 #56016

That's a really good idea Adder. I'm a fitful sleeper, constantly kicking and tossing and turning. I think my fiancée would like the idea of two separate mattresses on one frame.
Love Is My Religion

Re: Sleep Habits 11 Apr 2012 21:50 #56021

• Adder
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
Yes your right Reliah, the King is on two seperate frames, but we have the little hook thing connecting them so a it tends to behave like a single unit. Its also really easy to move the bed if you move houses!!!! Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't seen sleep numbers, looks interesting thanks.

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 02:14 #58342

• Jerriko
  • Novice
  • ID: 10270
I've always had trouble sleeping, there are times where I lay in bed and can't feel tired or even drift into sleep at all, or constantly awaken. Then there are days in which I sleep perfectly, wish I could pinpoint whats going on. But I might have to look into changing up my sleep habits even if it might be a tad difficult :P
“The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 05:24 #58351

• NickCB
  • Novice
  • ID: 10295
There's an app I got on my HTC called SleepBot and basically it tracks how long you sleep for each night and then shows how much debt you have. So if you need to sleep more or less. Its been really useful recently

Re: Sleep Habits 30 Apr 2012 07:01 #58353

• Jerriko
  • Novice
  • ID: 10270
I like it >:3
“The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”
  • Page:
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Questions (Last post by RyuJin)
    • welcome to totjo, we get many students coming with similar objectives for various classes (sociology,theology,psychology, etc), and as always we enjoy teaching and answering questions so feel free to submit them. i'm sure many, many, many more members will be by. we do not need or require any specific paraphernalia, such things could inspire attachment. however we do not forbid such things as they can aid some members in their study, training, and practice. a good amount of the information can be found in our faq, and in some of the links at the bottom of the site. many of the other answers you will receive will vary from member to member. me personally, i'm sort of a minimalist. being ex military i tend to pay more tribute to military related holidays and rituals. it is their sacrifice that allows the freedom of religion that we enjoy. i can't really describe a "typical" day since each day is unique, however most days contain some form of physical exercise, meditation, and learning... if you'd like it may be easier to post a list of questions in this thread and they'll most definitely get answers B)
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Ratcliffe)
    • I am grateful for today or perhaps more to the point I am grateful that, thanks to the temple, I finally get that all I have is now. The peace that brings me is perhaps the first I have ever know and for that I am not able to language my appreciation.
    • Your meditation routine (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Quote: I'm interested to discover what routines others here have for meditation Step One: Put the Kids to bed Step Two: Plug up the Tub and turn the hot water on to....as hot as possible. Step Three: Go get a towel, candle, book and bottle of water Step Four: Dump a bunch of Bath Salts into tub Step Five: Get in, adding cold water until water is comfortable Step Six: Take off my glasses and sink under the water until ears and eyes are covered (But still able to breathe above the surface Step Seven: breath in deeply Step Eight: Breath out completely Repeat until relaxed and content Step Nine: Read a book and drink the full bottle of water (Completely) Step ten: get out when the water is too cold to be comfortable anymore :laugh:
    • TotJO Programming Thread (Last post by Adder)
    • Unsure, depends on what your working on perhaps, but whatever it is we might be doing you'll find it has a generally defined 'system' and you could see the relationships within that system as opportunities to mimick a more synergistic architecture of system. Though I probably wouldn't completely associate work to my spirituality.... because they are different things, that can work together to some extent. So another option, if you wanted to use fiction references to connect your work time to your path, is to see work as 'trials' and the Jedi Knight Trials were Skill, Courage, Spirit, Flesh, and Insight - so you could associate them to something like the DMAIC or DFSS project methodologies for example, or look at what the job requires and check out the Doctrine to see if any translations can become some new 'Jedi' context for your work effort. For me, I like to think of simulations to represent complex/useful/human relationships, and so programming is the structural relationships of useful relationships. But that is not so much about programming but rather how I relate to programs perhaps :blink:
    • "Soteriology" within the Jedi Path (Last post by J. K. Barger)
    • Well made points gents. I like what you have brought forth. We all seem to be familiar with the idea of a reward for our actions, and how we can be motivated (or not- maybe even downright anti-authoritarian :evil: ) based on a future idea of what is to come. I also like how we've mentioned the contrast between "salvation" in the Abrahamic sense and "enlightenment" in the Dharmic sense. While both share the noble aim of making our immediate lives better, they both have slightly differing orientations- after embodiment and during embodiment. As a Zen practitioner, Death is often employed as the "Great Matter" to teach us how to make the whole of Zen applicable to ourselves now- IMMEDIATELY. Aligning with the Taoist tendencies in Zen, we could almost say (in hindsight it seems), that "we are already enlightened" or that we "are already saved"; but this begs the question, just as Dogen himself asked, "If we are already enlightened/saved, what is the point/purpose of 'practice'"? If we already ARE..., why would we...? (You fill in the blanks according to your preference) Now seeing how the Jedi Path holds both of these as valid soteriological goals (that is, Enlightenment and Salvation), do we use the respective traditional terms of "suffering and enlightenment" / "Sin and Salvation" to expound the Jedi Path, or do we use different language? How do the Jedi in fiction describe their path? What is the Point, the Great Matter of the Jedi/the Force? ----- On a persoanl note, I tend to follow a non-dualist stance. While soteriology looks like it is an introspective method for Dualists, as a non-dualist, I still see its value in a "catch-22" way; that is, both "salvation" and "already saved" are essential unified and that one informs the other. Take Dzogchen teachings for example; it initial teaches you about the innate luminosity of mind (we are already enlightened), but "further training" is used if you miss this fundamental teaching, i.e., the subsequent teachings are more gross, tangible, and 'further' from the truth, but nonetheless ARE the truth and it's path. This method of training recognizes the limits of soteriology and its methods while simultaneously valuing its contributions as a necessary part of the Path. As a Jedi, I think this helps us identify what we are working "towards" in our tradition as a whole Order and as individuals working out our own paths. I think if we can answer this in distinctly "Jedi terms" (whatever those come to be or are), we have the nuts and bolts of both Jedi training and the clerical imperative- both of which are closely related. MTFBWY
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Luthien)
    • 5x5 Squats 5x5 Overhead press 5x5 Deadlift 1x30 Calf raise 1x20 Abdominal crunch 1x20 Back extension 1x20 In-and-out
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • "Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognise our shared humanity." ~ Pema Chödrön
    • Bad Dreams (Last post by Burn_Phoenix)
    • Though it is just reiterating what many others have said, dreams tend to be messages from your subconscious putting your fears into scenarios so you can understand them and possibly confront them (though it doesn't realise that you can't infact easily understand them lol!) I would try and view the dreams objectively, don't focus on one aspect such as the actual acts but see it in conjunction with how it makes you feel in both the dream and reality and what is happening in your life at that point in time. Give it full context and layer it with as much information as you can. A friend of mine had a recurring dream that she was running from someone with a baby in her arms, she never seemed to be able to completely escape and was never able to get a signal on her phone to call the police. To now give it context, she was in an abusive relationship and had a daughter. A common feeling with those in that kind of situation is helplessness. It makes sense that, metaphorically, the person she was running from could be her husband, the baby her daughter. Yet she feels trapped and that she is having to deal with it on her own (not being able to escape or call for help). Personally, one that haunts me to this day is a nightmare I had where my daughter died during child birth (her child). It was horrific and traumatic and gave me a few sleepless nights and if I think about it before going to bed it takes me a while to settle enough to go to sleep. The context is I was going through a custody battle, my children were at risk from their mother (who had custody at the time) and I had no proof of this, so despite testimony after testimony all authorities said that there was no risk and the children were to remain in her care. I was essentially powerless to protect my children from harm. Apply that to the dream: as a man there is no more a helpless position to be in that when a woman you care about is giving birth, because you can't really help and are unlikely to effect the outcome. so that powerlessness manifested in the dream scenario, but that scenario had no real life basis. (unless of course it does turn out to be a premonition just years in advance in which case my life will fall apart on many levels!)
    • Real World Jedi (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • "we become what we think about" "people with goals succeed because they know where theyre going, its that simple"

There are 249 visitors, 8 guests and 26 members online (one in chat): Br. John, Zanthan Storm, steamboat28, RyuJin, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Joe, Nakis, Connor L., Adder, Proteus, Luthien, Rosalyn J, Elemental Harmony, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, Jamie Stick, blindbat84, SeventhSL, GalUnDrux, Rocda, Fenton, Sha Karn, Topher, CooperJaq, smirq, Atticus509, Dee, GreySong.

Follow Us