• Adder
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • 7 minds, 5 trials and 3 pillars.
More
8 years 8 months ago #199513 by Adder
I learnt a lot from this documentary, it was on TV recently and found a copy on Youtube;

It covers how the body uses energy sources, and which ones trick the brain to create conditions conducive to obesity;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nT-vACI-jg

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #199522 by
That's an interesting video and it literally mimics what the dietician I went to see has been teaching me. Interestingly enough I don't really miss the processed food that I used to eat like cookies and cakes. Well, at least not much. I can even pass up all the desserts the cafeteria has these days they are good, but not as good as the fresh melon, grapes, and berries that I am eating now. I replaced them with fruit and now that's what I crave instead. I've lost 8 pounds in a little over a month. I didn't give up chocolate though instead I replaced it with very dark chocolate, and not an entire bar at a time. I don't know if this diet would work for everyone, but it's working for me. I have lost 8 pounds in a little over a month and I can eat this diet and not be unhappy or not satisfied.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by .

More
8 years 8 months ago #199669 by Cyan Sarden
I recently changed my diet to low-carb - for exactly this reason. The combination of carbs and fat is likely the reason for the fact that I've gained almost 20 pounds over the last 3 years. The interesting thing is that I'm not actually hungry - before that, when I simply reduced my sugar-intake, I was always hungry like crazy.

I basically upped my vegetable intake, reduced carbs to a minimum (I still have a piece of chocolate or a gummy bear once in a while and have no regrets) and upped fat and protein intake a bit. Lost 2 pounds over the last 10 days without feeling hungry at all.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #200992 by
I've found that the "meat 'n' veggies" diet is great. Add in some fruit for sugar and subtract low-quality fried foods (or altogether) and you get a sustainable diet that doesn't leave you hungry. Fats are actually quite good for you and essential to healthy organ function, but, like anything else, fine in moderation.

Found this article helpful: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christiane-northrup/saturated-fat_b_4914235.html

More
8 years 7 months ago #201000 by Edan
I think I saw that tv show.... I cut out sugar from my diet, both from cakes, biscuits etc, and straight sugar from my tea, as well as sugar heavy foods and drinks that aren't chocolate based (I'm looking at you orange juice).

Since then I have lost 7 pounds without changing anything else in my diet (which is not always the best).

Everything in moderation is still probably a good rule for eating, but I will admit, I feel a lot better for not having all that sugar in my life. And no doubt some of that sugar came from fat from the chocolatey food I was eating.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, , Cyan Sarden

More
8 years 7 months ago #201041 by Cyan Sarden

Edan wrote: Everything in moderation is still probably a good rule for eating, but I will admit, I feel a lot better for not having all that sugar in my life. And no doubt some of that sugar came from fat from the chocolatey food I was eating.

I completely agree with that - and if you have cravings for chocolate, try the 85% cocoa variants. They're an acquired taste because they contain much less sugar than normal milk chocolate, but once you've gotten used to them, they taste great.

More
8 years 7 months ago #201045 by Edan

Cyan Sarden wrote:

Edan wrote: Everything in moderation is still probably a good rule for eating, but I will admit, I feel a lot better for not having all that sugar in my life. And no doubt some of that sugar came from fat from the chocolatey food I was eating.

I completely agree with that - and if you have cravings for chocolate, try the 85% cocoa variants. They're an acquired taste because they contain much less sugar than normal milk chocolate, but once you've gotten used to them, they taste great.

I do love dark chocolate.... especially the weird stuff with fruit in it (well, it seems weird to me because as a kid we only ever got it from the hypermarkets in Calais!). But maybe I can be tempted to buy some...

More
8 years 7 months ago #201046 by Whyte Horse
Actually sugar is bad for you. It makes your teeth decay so then you have to brush with fluoride twice a day. It also causes diabetes. It can give you cancer. It's highly addictive. It causes obesity. But hey go ahead and eat it anyway ;)

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
8 years 7 months ago #201047 by Edan

Whyte Horse wrote: Actually sugar is bad for you. It makes your teeth decay so then you have to brush with fluoride twice a day. It also causes diabetes. It can give you cancer. It's highly addictive. It causes obesity. But hey go ahead and eat it anyway ;)

That's why everything in moderation..... if you're gonna eat it at all.

More
8 years 7 months ago #201048 by Cyan Sarden

Edan wrote:
I do love dark chocolate.... especially the weird stuff with fruit in it (well, it seems weird to me because as a kid we only ever got it from the hypermarkets in Calais!). But maybe I can be tempted to buy some...

Yeah - same here, it used to be only available in specialty shops (and I live in the land of chocolate and watches :-). Now Lindt and some other major manufacturers have started mass-manufacturing it and most supermarket chains carry it. You can get it all the way up to 98% cocoa (which doesn't contain much sugar, if any, but tastes very bitter)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi