Listening to our bodies

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192608 by
Listening to our bodies was created by
I was thinking today about our eating choices and listening to what our body is telling us we need. Mostly I was thinking of this today because I am ill and crave Mt. Dew and Pizza. I had both and feel much better. Proper medication also helped. :laugh:

I was then reminded of a friend who has a diet that is super high in sodium and fatty foods. Watching him eat I can feel my own blood pressure go up and my artieries clog. Somehow, though, he always tests at a perfectly normal blood pressure leading us to believe that he may very well have naturally low blood pressure and his constant craving for salty, fatty foods is his body's way of trying to correct the problem.

I'm not a doctor or a dietician but does that seem feasible? If we really were to listen to our bodies do they tell us what we really need? Could they also lie to us? Finally, how do we tell what our body is telling us we need from what our mind is telling us we want?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192647 by
Replied by on topic Listening to our bodies
Too many variables left out here.

Of course you felt better after having pizza, you received a dopamine rush when you ate and drank the food.

Getting what you want does that.

Also, is it your body, or your mind telling you what you want in this instance?

You "feel" better, but that didnt mean you gave your body what it needed.

People who smoke say a cigarette after a meal makes it so much better, but no one is under the impression that cigarettes are good for you, in fact, they say everything to the contrary on the box.

There is a lot going on in the chemical cocktail that is the body.

You ate what you craved, and got a dopamine release. Now you understand what its like for an addict when he scores his fix.

Note, I am not comparing you to an addict, but the reactions within the body are the same when one achieves a craving.

In this, no one is different, aside from people with perhaps a dopamine deficit.

As for the high sodium diet, well, some peoples bodies are great at correcting the mistakes of there owners, as it were.

Only for so long though.

You can abuse a lot of things for a long time , but that doesnt mean it isnt abuse, or that everything doesnt have a breaking point.

Some people smoke for 50 years and die of natural causes, and there bodies are in fact telling them they need it, but again, you cannot make the case that smoking is a good idea.

Especial in my field of employment.

Also, you dont correct low blood pressure by eating crap.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 10 months ago #192667 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Listening to our bodies
something to think about....animals instinctively know not to eat a diseased carcass....humans are animals...so it's possible that at some primal level our instincts can guide us to eat things that contain what we're deficient of and to avoid eating things that will harm us...of course we still have the intellectual ability to override our instincts....i remember back before i joined the military i went to a cookout...they had bbq pork, chicken, beef....everyone was eating the pork...as i walked by i looked at it and something told me not to eat it so i skipped over it and had chicken and beef....a few hours later everyone that ate the pork had to go to the hospital....they all got botulism....i was the only one that didn't eat the pork and the only one that didn't get sick....all because i chose to listen to my body at that time....i've avoided food poisoning numerous times this way....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PatrickB,

More
8 years 10 months ago #192674 by PatrickB
Replied by PatrickB on topic Listening to our bodies
Back in the days I was really over weight . And slowly and just by thinking of what I need to eat my body turn up and tell me but with gesture in the groceries in front of vegetarian products. He says PAT :sick: take those instead of meat because it's meat replacement probably it will help you with your health .

And throughout the years I experience good results . I lost weight , plus energies came back And I've started training again by doing so I've lost 85 pound's . So I'm still in the right corner doing my fight to lose the rest . :woohoo:

The one that posses with a devices is responsible for others . Being at large is brought too my attention . An armor is the key to unarm devices .
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192709 by
Replied by on topic Listening to our bodies

If we really were to listen to our bodies do they tell us what we really need? Could they also lie to us? Finally, how do we tell what our body is telling us we need from what our mind is telling us we want?

Our bodies don't lie to us, our desires do and challenge your minds motives.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 10 months ago #192776 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Listening to our bodies
Sodium gives high blood pressure by first giving water retention. The rest of the time it is a necessary part of our diet. So are fats, by the way. What's really worrying are the carbs in the pizza dough and the sugar in the tomato base (both of which are just as addictive as the mtn dew). The cheese and pepperoni are harmless in comparison.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi