Healthy Whole Grains Are ANYTHING But Healthy

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192337 by

ren wrote: Something I don't understand about wholegrain, is how it's healthier than processed ones? I mean, they contain pretty much the same things as the processed stuff, plus insoluble fibre. And insoluble fibre is useful for.... passing stools (It doesn't get digested). May cause irritable bowel syndrome. It's not all of them though, oats are fine for instance as they contain soluble fibres which apparently are good for the heart and cholesterol levels.

Much of the beneficial oils, fatty acids and other nutrients are washed, stripped or bleached away from the grain inadvertently in the processing stage.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 11 months ago #192345 by ren

CryojenX wrote:

ren wrote: Something I don't understand about wholegrain, is how it's healthier than processed ones? I mean, they contain pretty much the same things as the processed stuff, plus insoluble fibre. And insoluble fibre is useful for.... passing stools (It doesn't get digested). May cause irritable bowel syndrome. It's not all of them though, oats are fine for instance as they contain soluble fibres which apparently are good for the heart and cholesterol levels.

Much of the beneficial oils, fatty acids and other nutrients are washed, stripped or bleached away from the grain inadvertently in the processing stage.

Doesn't the same thing happen when they process whole grain into things like bread though?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
8 years 11 months ago #192349 by Edan
I seem to remember that when processed some of the grain isn't used, where in whole grains the whole bit is used (hence the name).

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 11 months ago #192372 by
I agree it is about moderation. I think if we have a diverse diet with many different types of food we are on the safest ground. Think about all the times that foods have been good then bad then good for us. Even with GMO/ GMF I think there is a place for that in our diets.

More
8 years 7 months ago #201644 by Edan
Saw this today and remembered this thread... I haven't read the actual study.. but is food for thought at least

Study finds two-thirds of gluten-sensitive people had no ill effects when given gluten

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #201646 by

Edan wrote: Saw this today and remembered this thread... I haven't read the actual study.. but is food for thought at least

Study finds two-thirds of gluten-sensitive people had no ill effects when given gluten

Wow, good article, and DANG does this thread take me back, I don't even want to attempt to name all the logical fallacies that I was spouting a few months ago! :blush:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 7 months ago #201649 by RyuJin
my diet....mostly meat, whole grains/multi grains, very few vegetables (in fact i usually only eat veggies once or twice a week), and according to my last physical (done last friday) i'm in perfect health....other than the bursitis in my hip, which is not caused by diet/nutrition, but by impact or other physical damage....

everyone's body is different and has different needs...the basics remain the same; protein, fat, carbs, etc...the proportions needed vary....this is where it is beneficial to be able to listen to your body...it will tell you what it needs...trust me, mine never shuts up :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi