Vegetarianism

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192201 by
Replied by on topic Vegetarianism
I'm not a vegetarian myself but have friends that made the shift and the one "mistake" they all made was keep thinking the same way about meals. In the sense that something needed to substitute for meat. Their thought pattern remained "meat-centric". My advice would be to start by looking at cultures that has a rich vegetarian culture already rather than starting from scratch. India is a good place to start. Their cuisine is already packed with flavour and there are an insane plethora of dishes for all tastes to choose from.
That'll lead the way for more creative ways of cooking veggies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192212 by
I have a degree in Human Physiology. The most difficult nutrient to get for a vegetarian is vitamin B12. You body can store about a years worth of it ,so a lot of vegetarians quiet after a year as a b12 deficiency is quite noticeable. It makes you tired all the time.

Soy can be a problem as it contains fido estrogen. A lot of people don't know that and it's a really bad idea to give children soy.

When consulting food experts remember in the United States anyone can call themselves a Nutritionist ,but the title Dietitian is regulated ,so try to listen to a Dietitian over a Nutritionist.

Human Beings are naturally omnivore, breaking this requires special care and it's general a lot more difficult to stay healthy. There are some people who are going to argue that being a vegetarian is healther, it's not. It is the general consensus of the scientific community that it is not because it is very difficult to eat all the right foods to supplement the nutrients from eating meat. Sure it can be done and do what you want.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192220 by
Hmm... vegetarians don't tend to have much problem with B12 actually, since it's present in animal products such as milk, cheese and eggs. Vegans will have difficulty getting it, but if someone is going vegan I always recommend that they take supplements. Nowadays, most dairy alternatives such as soya milk are fortified with B12 and D vitamins to aid vegan nutrition. There's also Marmite (yeah, I know it's not for everyone!) or nutritional yeast which are both full of B vitamins including B12. Nutritional yeast is pretty tasty too, especially on pasta.

Why isn't it a good idea to give soy to children? You mean phytoestrogens, I think. I've studied phytochemistry, and honestly the molecules are so small compared to human oestrogen that they don't really do much. I honestly don't see how it can be problematic.

Arguing that humans are naturally omnivores. Well, we are, but that's an argument from nature, which is a logical fallacy. Be careful with that! After all, natural doesn't equate to better. As for vegetarianism not being healthier... that depends what you mean. Some people don't take time to consider what they're doing, and enter into a large shift in dietary habit uninformed. In that case, no, it's no healthier than any other diet given no thought. When done correctly, vegetarians have lower incidence of cardiovascular diseases and bowel cancer, as well as certain other illnesses. There is evidence to support that for certain outcomes, a vegetarian or vegan diet is healthier. It's up to the individual to decide what it is they wish to get from their diet though.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #192223 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Vegetarianism
I once noticed this on Wikipedia about Creatine;

In humans and animals, approximately half of stored creatine originates from food (about 1 g/day, mainly from meat).[5] A study involving 18 vegetarians and 24 non-vegetarians on the effect of creatine in vegetarians showed that total creatine was significantly lower than in non-vegetarians. Since vegetables are not the primary source of creatine, vegetarians can be expected to show lower levels of directly derived muscle creatine. However, the subjects happened to show the same levels after using supplements.[7] Given the fact that creatine can be synthesized from the above-mentioned amino acids, protein sources rich in these amino acids can be expected to provide adequate capability of native biosynthesis in the human body.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

Something perhaps to watch, but I guess non-meat diets have to deliberately ensure more then adequate replacement 'complete' protein sources... which probably cover it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 10 months ago #192226 by

Vesha wrote: I have a degree in Human Physiology. The most difficult nutrient to get for a vegetarian is vitamin B12. You body can store about a years worth of it ,so a lot of vegetarians quiet after a year as a b12 deficiency is quite noticeable. It makes you tired all the time.

Almond milk has B12 in it (and some brands will also have Vit.D). Not sure about Hazlenut milk (since I only buy almond), but that might have some in it too.

From what I've read non-vegetarian/vegans ought to drink non-animal milk anyway since its not particularly healthy for you. Animal milk leads to your bones becoming brittle - despite it's calcium content! It's slightly acidic which lowers the body's PH so to neutralise the acid the body takes an alkaline substance and the biggest and most readily available source of an alkaline substance is... calcium!

More
8 years 10 months ago #192229 by PatrickB
Replied by PatrickB on topic Vegetarianism
I think making the switch to be vegetarian is good . Recipes are all over internet, library's and a recipe book . Making sure you got all the ingredient an vitamin's for a meal or two per week . getting use to eat vegetarian is worth to try . and building a habit around vegetarian ways . ;)

The one that posses with a devices is responsible for others . Being at large is brought too my attention . An armor is the key to unarm devices .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi