love hurts: mental health

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186393 by rugadd
How do you stop loving someone when you realise you feel terrible whenever you talk to them?

rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186396 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic love hurts: mental health
find something or someone more worthy of your love...

or find a very good distraction...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: a67

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186398 by steamboat28
You don't have to.

You just have to make a commitment not to put yourself in a position to be hurt by them anymore. The people we love aren't always the people we're healthiest around. Start trying to love from a distance, and let your heart figure out if it wants to hold onto that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Brenna, a67, Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186401 by a67
Replied by a67 on topic love hurts: mental health
The things I say to myself it's do I love what she make me feel.
I love them anyway... But I listen to my heart. Like steamboat said... Love from distance.

Love always found a way so don't let be a passion but a harmony.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186407 by Alexandre Orion
Yes ...

As was said by Steam and a67, feel whatever you have to feel - in this case it is 'love' (maybe - only you can recognise that) ... "aimer de loin". There's nothing wrong about loving someone. There's nothing wrong about feeling any particular emotion. There are no 'wrong' feelings. Conversely, feelings do not require action, and they certainly do not create obligations for other people.

At any rate, don't try to go around it or ignore it or entertain yourself away from it : dive into it. If it is great, let it be great. If it sucks, let it suck ...

Neither lasts forever.

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J_Roz, a67, Breeze el Tierno

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #186414 by OB1Shinobi
i almost said something to you when i read your post in the rants thread, but it was a rant and not an request for input

here you are specifically requesting input

this is based on my experience and there is no guarantee youre going to like it or be able to do it

but i am speaking from experience and also with your interest at heart

first, because of what you said in the other thread and what youre saying now i have to tell you that the relationship youre in is unhealthy

i dont need to know anything more than what youve already said to make this statement

youve communicated your feelings to this person and they treated the situation as if your feelings are not worthy of their respect

in your own words they told you that your feelings are your fault

theres only two ways this can play out
either you are placing a higher expectation on them than is fair or realistic

or

youre expectations are fair but they refuse to ackowledge that they are fair because they dont want to have to meet them

either way the relationship is a drain on your emotional stability and they are not going to change their behavior to meet your desires

my last girl friend was a drug addict who would give my stuff away to other dudes
like she told me one time her daughter was coming over and asked me to leave so they could visit and this other dude showed up.wearing one of my jackets

thats one example of one moment with one guy

she would bring dudes around that she was fooling with and introduce me to them as if they were just friends and then sit there and flaunt the situation

she did these things because it entertained her, and because it entertained them

the more i was miserable the more she would turn the knife and she would then tell me it was my own fault

in my wish to believe in love i kept thinking that if i just explained it she will realize what shes doing is no good

or if i just showed her i was better than these other dudes who only wanted sex and didnt care about her as a person then she would realize that i was offering something that should be valued and would last and that she would change how she treated me

on the one hand the problem wasnt me it was her

she would lie constantly

and i would know she was lying about what she was doing but then i would tell myself that she was being honest when she told me she loved me

i seriously could not belive that anyone would be so blatantly disrespectful and hurtful, i thought there must be something she doesnt understand

and eventually i attached my sense self to the idea of getting her to recognise my value as a person

but she was not interested in my definition of my value

her valuation of me was not anything to do what i held to be my value and so i dedicated myself to something impossible

so on the one hand the problem wasnt me it was her, but on the other hand the real problem was me

i was fixated on this idea of getting her to see that i am a person with value and worth

since this time ive done some research and ive come to the conclusion based on what ive read that she is a textbook case of a sociopath

she simply does not relate to other people as having feelings which should be acknowledged

that may not be your situation, but how ive come to get passed it still applies to you

so the first thing you have to understand is that this is entirely a matter of attention and attachment

youre attention is fixated on this person
and your attention is fixated on the idea of being treated a certain way by them

but you are not going to get what you want

it does not matter of your expectations are fair or not fair

by what you have said it is clear that they will not be met regardless of fair or unfair

also, your emotions have attached the idea of love with the idea of them

you had an idea of love before you met them

but they maybe filled the role that love is supposed to hold in life

so the idea of love has become associated with the idea of them

what comes next is that you have to get to the understanding that its not a person you want, its a treatment

its a relationship

a certain type of relationship

it the role of "love" being filled

the real truth is that the person is expendable

totally expendable!

its not a person youre looking for, its an experience!

this is the way its SUPPOSED to work;

hi, im rugadd
hi rugadd, im cool pretty girl
awesome! ok cool pretty girl, this is what i want from a relationship and this is what i have to offer
you can reasonably expect me to act this way and treat you this way and this is what i expect from you, generally speaking
we both get some margin for error because we're both human but the standards are applied equally and the number one rule is honesty
how does that sound?

that sounds great rugadd thats exactly what im looking for too!
cool, lets make out
cool!

blah blah blah and rose colored glasses

does it ever actually play out this way?

well im still looking lol

but when people are honest about their expectations of each other and honest about what expectations they are willing to live up to then it can

also that margin for error thing is important

sometimes things happen that really test a relationship
forgiveness can be tough
but the process is still basically the same
its about honesty and expectations

we feel hurt when our expectations arent met

im not even going to get in to the issue of what are reasonable and what are unreasonable expectations because thats not what you asked about

the idea is to be upfront and honest and realistic about expectations

also to be able to review and work together on whats happened and where to go next

if that breaks down its either an issue of expectations being higher than the reality or of honesty being lower than reality

sometimes expectations and feeling are so high that its difficult to be honest
again thats not what youve asked but its important to understand
this is getting too wordy lol

the challenge you have is this

first you have to reclaim your attention

take back all that attention energy you gave to the person
and give back all the energy they gave to you

meditate on this every time you feel that pang of hurt

give them back their energy and reclaim the power youve given to them

feel your power filling you up as you breathe it back in

its YOUR power; INTEND it back!

feel yourself drawing your power from them and it returning to you, filling in your space

breath out their power over you
breath out all the energy theyve given to you or directed at you

give it back to them, they can have it - you dont need it

its not yours and it isnt doing you any good

its holding you back

it doesnt have to be any special feeling really, just have the intention that youre reclaiming your own power and your own attention and that youre releasing the other persons

and as you do this ask yourself who it is most important for you to love?

"who is it most important for me to love right now?

who am i GOING to love right now?

who do i want to love first?

who do i want to love more?

(hint, in this particular case, the answer should be YOUlol)

because the old adage about loving yourself before.you can really love someone else is true

do this earnestly and constantly - youll be surprised

next you have to disengage the idea of love from the idea of this person

a connection has been made that doesnt actually work

fortunately its a connection youve made and therefore its a connection you can unmake or remake somewhere else

love is not a person and it is not even simply a feeling

it is totally ok to be totally selfish in love (before you freak out let me explain what i mean)

you cannot comfortably give the best of yourself when you see that youre being treated like garbage

there comes a point where you become ashamed and afraid of every kindness and every tenderness towards the other person

this is not love
it is hell

so understand that the person does not matter

its an agreement you want

you agree to this and they agree to that and furthermore if some this or some that turns out to be too much you agree to be open about whats going on and to find a mutually agreeable way to handle it and work through it together or if it just cant be worked out then to call it quits and move on with as little poison thrown at each other as possible

every well intentioned adult agrees that this is basically the way its supposed to work - the way it should in the best world play out

and theres nothing wrong with breaking it off and being the one to walk away

if you cant walk away from a relationship then youre basically agreeing to accept whatever terms are imposed upon you by whoever lets you stick around

and whoever takes you up on that deal is not going to treat you well at all

thats not the relationship you want

so now you need something else to focus on

its sometimes easier to get over someone by getting involved with someone else

the downfall of this is that when it does work its usually just a repeat of the previous pattern

the pattern stays exactly what it was before

the attachment stays

the fixation stays

they just switch over to the new person

the healthy way is to stay focused on staying focused on yourself

im willing to bet that in the experience of fixating on this person that you sort of lost touch with your own path

thats what usually happens

if thats the case then the absolute most important thing which you must do is to reclaim your path

or redefine your path so that you have a new updated version which is more in line to who you are now

but no matter what, youve got to put your focus back where it needs to be

this is where it needs to be;

ARE YOU DOING WHAT YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO BE DOING WITH YOUR LIFE?

and if the answer is yes then the question is WHATS THE NEXT STEP?

if your answer has anything to do with some other person and most especially with some person treating you a certain way, then your answer is wrong lol

not to be rude about it but destiny as a force, is not romantic,

its between you and the universe

not you and a lover

there is a love destiny, ok

love is kind of the name of the game, in a real way

but love starts with living your own life in a way that fills you up

you have to fill yourself up so that you can give yourself out

thats what your life path is all about

and until youre moving towards THAT destiny, you wont be ready for the romantic love destiny

some people disagree, and thats ok

everyones got their own life

but if the answer to the above questions is "no" or "i dont know" then obviously thats the next step; finding something awesome to do with yourself and if youve already got the basic answer then now its time to figure out and recommit to the next step

if youd like some help figuring any of that out we can talk about it next

basically thats the task youve got on your plate

if what ive said is totally off base then i apologize

if it makes sense and youd like to talk more then we can talk here or you can PM me

no matter what i wish you the best and i can tell you that youll get through it in time

the hurt will hurt less eventually (and in my experience, the stuff i just said helps!)

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186427 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic love hurts: mental health
Steam beat me to it. Love is sadly no guarantee that its all going to go well. But love is not the problem. Its the expectation of what you want from loving them that's the issue.

And frankly, no matter how much you love someone, if you feel terrible when youre interacting, maybe you should stop interacting with them. You wouldnt keep walking on a broken leg if it hurt.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Ben, Edan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 weeks ago #186436 by
Replied by on topic love hurts: mental health
I find that you have to just endure it, you survived just fine without this individual before, so you just have to get used to not being around them, sure it hurts but surely it is better to endure pain for a little while than to endure the pain of sticking around? Alternatively finding something to distract you always helps! :)

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #186481 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic love hurts: mental health
Thank you, everyone. Shout out to TOTJO for being a supportive and caring community.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: a67, Breeze el Tierno

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi