Martial Arts: Your interest?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #212580 by
Replied by on topic Martial Arts: Your interest?

OB1Shinobi wrote: thanks for you good wishes :-)

how much can you move around? like if you had to really run for your life would you be able to do that without risk to your eyes? ... if you COULD run track then theres no reason you couldnt do a careful jiu jitsu or even a no contact boxing or kick boxing ...

Those are good ideas, and I thank you. While I also cope with pain from an old foot injury, an activity like running poses no threat to my vision (and there's some evidence that the aerobic component may be very good for the long-term health of my eyes). I'm working on expanding what I'm able to do in spite of foot pain, and regularly am doing some kind of cardio at a local gym (biking, rowing, elliptical trainer, and stair climbing mostly).

I'm going to keep these options in mind. I'm planning a move again next year, and it'd be a thrill to find a school teaching one of these disciplines.

Many thanks!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215871 by
In college, I studied Krav Maga for two years, since graduating and my instructor there moved back to Florida, and his (i guess you could say his apprentice instructor) joined the Army, I have been unable to attend formal training. Now it's mostly recall previous training and watch instructional videos online. Since my friend (the apprentice) was also trained in Judo, he incorporated some of that in our techniques. In our group, we had people with backgrounds in Judo, Tai Kwon Do, and Muy Tai and were able to incorporate many of those styles in our training, though the primary focus was Krav.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #216371 by
Hey guys. I'm one of the newer members and this topic caught my attention.
Turns out, I'm actually a well-versed martial artist. Having ten years of Muay Thai, ten years kickboxing (Simultaneously learned with Muay Thai), four years Hagakure, three years Jeet Kun Do, and a splash of multiple martial arts I picked up while on Deployment in the Navy, I know quite a bit.
I'm actually about to start taking Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and start learning Qi Gong to add into my repertoire. If anyone would like any information of perfecting techniques or how to control your breathing while fighting, let me know. I'm always happy to help out when it comes to... well... just about anything I have knowledge in.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #216787 by
I'll only address those I have ranks in as opposed to the ones I also dabbled in for the heck of it (which would be a lot)....

Let's see, about 18 months of TKD and American Kickboxing, three years of Kung Fu, a bit over a year of competitive BJJ. That all was when I was younger.

Now I study Xing Yi, Tai Chi, Qi Gong for health purposes.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #217181 by
I have studied Shotokan Karate for the past thirteen years and I don't plan on stopping. I am currently a third degree black belt and qualified to teach. In a couple months I'll be living in San Diego again if anyone's interested. My goal in life is to own my own successful martial arts school.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #217191 by
Greetings,
Its seems an interest in Martial Arts would be a part of the interest of some who see value in this community. When I was younger, I trained in Iado and Karate for seven years. Iado became a regular part of my workouts and I still practice it today - almost 20 years later. Thanks for sharing your own experiences.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #217195 by
Replied by on topic Re:Martial Arts: Your interest?
I currently hold a first degree black belt in TKD with a wish to go back and further my training, and a yellow belt in traditional Jujutsu (not to be confused with the more competition-oriented Jujitsu practiced by many MMA fighters). If stage combat and competitive fencing are martial arts, I have some experience in those as well. I would like to learn tai chi and lightsaber combat as a method of meditation next.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #230019 by
I have practised aikido for a couple of years, along with karate since I was 12 (my base style even now), thai boxing for 6 months and krav maga for other 6 or 8 months.

I have also had almost fully free sparring with some friends using helmet, gloves (not boxing, but MMA gloves) and shin guards and at thai boxing and krav maga my teachers taught us some grappling and ground fighting so I have some basis in that and in fighting with and without rules.

Finally, I have gone to a couple of courses of bujinkan taijutsu (misscalled ninjutsu here) and xanda, and I practice self-taught kenjutsu with the base learned at aikido, along with bojutsu.

I think of martial arts as a whole, something that once was all united, complete, that during the years have been severed, separated, divided. So, I don't really think there is one better martial art, I just think there are lot of parts of the same and that a martial artist must do his/her best to take all the parts that better suit him/her and become a more complete and better martial artist, so that's why I practice several and different styles.

My next target is to practice MMA, so I can apply everything I know in a fully "free" sparring and learn more.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi