Bad Dreams

More
9 years 2 months ago #180214 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Bad Dreams
There's nothing wrong with you :)

Sometimes bad dreams are just bad dreams. But I found that when I'm utterly exhausted, my dreams tend to turn sour for me lately. But I've also been working on some stress so it could be it too (or both!).

Most of the time I'll just roll with the bad dreams but if I find a common theme between a few I take note and do some thinking on it. It seems like once I've come to a realization on them, they stop. I consider it a message/lesson learned from my spirit guides but it could easily be my subconscious resolving itself.

I recently had a daughter and I had three dreams over the course of a week where she was left behind in some kind of disaster. In one, I had entrusted her to my mom. My mother evacuated without her and I couldn't find her when I went back. I always woke up upset because of what I had done, what had happened, or what someone else had done in the dream to hurt my daughter. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized the whole thing was about abandonment. One of my greatest fears is to be abandoned and I discovered that I was terrified that my daughter may feel that way. My dreams weren't because I was GOING to abandon her, only that it was a fear.

Perhaps reflect on your dreams. I know you said your friend was hurt after your dreamt it, it may have simply been a coincidence. Or perhaps your dreams were preparing you for it. You'd have to take that up with your spiritual adviser/guide/deity if you put stock in that :)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #180221 by Loudzoo
Replied by Loudzoo on topic Bad Dreams
Agree with all the good advice above. Also have a look into the literature (and websites) on Lucid Dreaming. With practice you will quickly be able to stop the dream, wake-up or change the dream if you follow the well-researched techniques. There's a thread here: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/open-discussions/107795-lucid-dreams

Arcade and tzb have some links to good Lucid Dreaming books in their posts. With a little application you will look forward to the wonderful adventures and experiences that sleep/dreams can bring.

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #180233 by
Replied by on topic Bad Dreams
Thank you all for the great information! I greatly appreciate it! I will definitely take all of your advice and try some of your ideas! Once again thank you all!

MTFBWYA

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #182861 by
You could also ask a doctor about Prazosin, I've recently started taking it for my own nightmares.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #182863 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Bad Dreams
sometimes dreams are messages from the universe, sometimes messages from our subconscious, sometimes just plain fantasy from our imaginations...once you learn to identify them you can then learn from them or take control of them...bend the dreamworld as you see fit...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #182886 by
Though it is just reiterating what many others have said, dreams tend to be messages from your subconscious putting your fears into scenarios so you can understand them and possibly confront them (though it doesn't realise that you can't infact easily understand them lol!)

I would try and view the dreams objectively, don't focus on one aspect such as the actual acts but see it in conjunction with how it makes you feel in both the dream and reality and what is happening in your life at that point in time. Give it full context and layer it with as much information as you can.

A friend of mine had a recurring dream that she was running from someone with a baby in her arms, she never seemed to be able to completely escape and was never able to get a signal on her phone to call the police. To now give it context, she was in an abusive relationship and had a daughter. A common feeling with those in that kind of situation is helplessness. It makes sense that, metaphorically, the person she was running from could be her husband, the baby her daughter. Yet she feels trapped and that she is having to deal with it on her own (not being able to escape or call for help).

Personally, one that haunts me to this day is a nightmare I had where my daughter died during child birth (her child). It was horrific and traumatic and gave me a few sleepless nights and if I think about it before going to bed it takes me a while to settle enough to go to sleep. The context is I was going through a custody battle, my children were at risk from their mother (who had custody at the time) and I had no proof of this, so despite testimony after testimony all authorities said that there was no risk and the children were to remain in her care. I was essentially powerless to protect my children from harm. Apply that to the dream: as a man there is no more a helpless position to be in that when a woman you care about is giving birth, because you can't really help and are unlikely to effect the outcome. so that powerlessness manifested in the dream scenario, but that scenario had no real life basis. (unless of course it does turn out to be a premonition just years in advance in which case my life will fall apart on many levels!)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi