Bad Dreams

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #179969 by
Bad Dreams was created by
Lately I've been having trouble sleeping at night. I usually wake up from a bad dream and I usually just go downstairs and drink some water and go back to bed and then I sleep the rest of the night. My dreams are usually of people that I know being in pain and suffering. I had a dream where one of my good friends got in a car accident and just yesterday, she got in a car accident and had to be taken to the ER. I just want to know if there is something wrong with me or if there is something I can do to prevent these bad dreams/visions from occurring. I would greatly appreciate it if I got some feedback.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #179971 by
Replied by on topic Bad Dreams
I'm certainly not a doctor or psychologist, but dreams are most often associated with something your mind is interacting with on a subconscious level. It could be that your subconscious is grappling with a fear of loss and your conscious mind is trying to rationalize that fear. This disconnect will cause conflict that is contrary to harmonious rest.

Then again, there are some that would say that the Force is speaking through your dreams and you are experiencing a much stronger connection to it currently. I've participated in discussions here at the Temple that have included the idea that these types of dreams are actually prophetic in nature and the Force is "trying to tell you something" or warn you of impending danger.

As for suggestions, I'm afraid I'm probably not much help, but I'll leave you with this. Sometimes you just need to let things be what they are without obsessing or worrying about them. This too, shall pass. We often increase our anxiety by focusing on being anxious. Accept these dreams for what they are. An exercise of your subconscious mind. When you let them go, your mind will seek other ways to be entertained while you rest at night.

More
9 years 2 months ago #179976 by a67
Replied by a67 on topic Bad Dreams
Dreams are special. and if we think a little bit we sleep the third part of our lives. we can found a lot of wisdom by dreams. for the knowledge there scientific facts on dream and the types of dream. also you can induce dream with your subcouncious and we dream more than once in a night.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 2 months ago #179984 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Bad Dreams
Dreams can just be our subconscious mind trying to make sense of the mass of information we take in during the day. They can be a way of clearing the clutter..
They can also be in my opinion a warning that something is wrong, especially if the dream is repeated, or as your mind is more open during sleep a more easy communication with the all.
Dreams are fascinating and there are so many different opinions about them. You could try keeping a dream journal and try to understand what your mind is telling you, paying attention to personal meanings for things seen or heard within the dream.

just my personal opinion :)

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #179999 by
I agree with Senan. Your dreams could very well be your subconcious dealing with some issue such as fear of loss. For example. One weekend my fiance was taking care of a friends dog and it got sick. Through odd circumstances I couldn't go with her to take the dog to the nearest surgeon, which was two hours away. We spent the night apart and during what little sleep I got I had a dream that someone was trying to break into my apartment and when I tried to yell out (to warn them that I was armed) my voice wouldn't work. Neither would my gun.

Later my fiance said that it seemed like I was feeling helpless, so I had a dream in which I was helpless. That makes sense to me. The next time we spent the night apart I slept just fine even though I was sure that the seperation was what had caused it. She was right, I was wrong.

In a way your dreams are telling you something, you just need to figure out what they're trying to tell you. I recommend keeping some paper and a pen/pencil by your bed. As soon as you wake up from a dream write it down along with how it made you feel upon waking. Search for clues in that.

Now, I'm not a psycologist or a doctor of any sorts but that seems like the logical thing to do. Hope I helped. :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #180073 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Bad Dreams
If they return you could view them as being unresolved to your subconscious. I tend to modify the way I react to them to assist this process. Initially its about dealing with accepting the resultant emotional footprint they leave, but if you can get into your dreams then you can further change the way you react within the dream - which will start to reduce that waking footprint. To completely stop it I find I must change the dream, not to stop it, but to modify it... then they do away I find.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #180080 by
The are some current views that dreams may have an evolutionary advantage in that we can practice certain possible scenarios in order to prepare ourselves, without being in any danger. Rather than lament over the fact you have been having some bad or disturbing dreams, look on the bright side: you are now more mentally prepared should that event ever occur in real life, and could possibly do a better job at it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #180086 by

Adder wrote: If they return you could view them as being unresolved to your subconscious. I tend to modify the way I react to them to assist this process. Initially its about dealing with accepting the resultant emotional footprint they leave, but if you can get into your dreams then you can further change the way you react within the dream - which will start to reduce that waking footprint. To completely stop it I find I must change the dream, not to stop it, but to modify it... then they do away I find.

That is exactly right. It is how we help people with chronic repeated nightmares to stop them. We ask them to think about how they would like to modify the dream before going to sleep and then ask them to implement this change in the dream state. It is incredibly helpful to empower people to stop the nightmares and get over the feeling of helplessness associated with nightmares.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #180150 by
Got the same views as Senan and Goken (and pretty much everyone else, here actually hah).

If we're having recurring dreams (in your case, it's not recurrent, but the THEME seems recurrent), I've read a tip where you could write about how you'd WANT your dream to proceed. (haven't tried it, though)
I think what this activity [writing about a dream] does is it's telling your brain what to think about.

Your mind's focus is manifested in your dreams.
What do you want to dream about? Focus on those. :)
It won't happen instantly, but keep focusing on the dreams or dream themes (genre? :) ) that you want.

Dreams also help us solve problems... even mental experiments (hypothetical, philosophical stuff) have happened in my dreams :')
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 2 months ago #180152 by
If your dreaming of bad things you must find out what it is your afraid of and confront it if there coming true that's another matter sombody already said that is the force warning you

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi