Training to see the Positive

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170711 by
I totally failed at this game. lol. Even after studying each face, I couldn't find the happy one for a couple of minutes.

http://www.theemotionmachine.com/cognitive-bias-modification-train-your-mind-to-see-the-positive

interesting idea!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170713 by steamboat28
I discovered a couple of interesting things trying this.
  1. It's very easy on some levels to convince yourself that the smiling, happy face doesn't exist, even if your mouse is hovering over it. You search and search to find the happiness in the level, and you overlook it entirely while seeking it. I'm sure there's some kind of profound Zen b.s. at work there, but it was terribly frustrating to me once I realized it was right under my nose.
  2. It was harder for me to find new smiling faces. The first time I saw any particular person's face in that test smiling, it was harder to pick it out than subsequent times. I suppose this means that I look for markers and train myself to learn what individuals look like when they're happy, and that it's harder for me to find it if I'm unfamiliar with it. It also tells me that I have a hard time knowing when strangers are happy than I do people I know, even simply going off facial expressions.
  3. I found that, even in the case of #2 above, I found the smiling faces faster if I found the person attractive or aesthetically pleasing. It took me much longer to find the smiles on the faces I didn't find aesthetically pleasing, even if I was used to them.

More
9 years 5 months ago #170717 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Training to see the Positive
I tried doing it with and without a smile, no difference.... and I didn't speed up as it went on and on, until after what seemed like ages I did a deliberate scan pattern at just the right speed to see each face (cheating!!).

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #170718 by Proteus
I was able to find the smiles fastest when I stopped picking out individuals with my eyes, but instead, focused on the center of the grid and let my peripheral vision take the whole thing in at once. I was able to find most of them this way within 2 seconds each at the longest. It is an example of why I prefer to see things through unity rather than division.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Alexandre Orion

More
9 years 5 months ago #170727 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Training to see the Positive
I found this test changed difficulty depending on which face was smiling... some I got quickly every time, a few I was always slow finding. I'm not sure if it was actually helping to do what they were saying it's supposed to do. It felt more like an 'odd one out' activity.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 5 months ago #170775 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Training to see the Positive
FUN!

I tried it a couple ways. Just as is, with a big grin and deliberate happy feelings and then to different kinds of music.

Bouncy music worked best :)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #170870 by
Replied by on topic Training to see the Positive
Interesting! Thanks for sharing this, Connor.

I go immediately for the happy faces. :) It's rare that I'm not smiling, though I never thought about how that might affect my perceptions. The act of smiling seems to not only attract that same energy, but apparently also helps direct one toward others who extend positive vibes.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi