Insight Timer app for meditation

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167604 by
Replied by on topic Insight Timer app for meditation

Rickie The Grey wrote: Why do you all like this?

It's useful. Traditionally monks would meditate with someone to ring a gong or bell to tell them when it was time to finish, this is a modern, technological equivalent you can carry around in your pocket.

Also like anything else, tracking one's progress helps to build and reinforce the meditation habit. I have Meditation Helper set so if I haven't completed a meditation by a certain time of day, it notifies me as a reminder. Given the number of times before I had it I'd intend to meditate and then forget until I was too tired, that's pretty handy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167631 by steamboat28
In addition to that, prayers and mantras have been counted with beads for centuries--the beads don't help us pray, but they help us keep the habit of praying. (if anyone knows of a decent app purpose-built for those applications, do let me know. :P )

As to the Insight Timer app, there's also an email address one can contact to see about making guided meditations for the app. Perhaps, in the future, if we as a collective group came up with some in the course of TotJO activities or discussions, we could have someone (or a few someones) attempt to share them with our group on the app, too?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Llama Su, Zenchi, Carlos.Martinez3, Cyan Sarden

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167672 by

Cyan Sarden wrote: The group's now set up for those who wish to join

Cyan

I've joined it! Thx for setting it up!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #167706 by

steamboat28 wrote:

Rickie The Grey wrote: Why do you all like this?

Do you dislike the idea? If so, why?

Nope just curious.

More
9 years 5 months ago #167727 by J_Roz
thank you, I will give this a try as well.

"O Great Spirit, Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence"

Kaylee: How come you don't care where you're going?
Book: 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.
Firefly Series

Apprenticed to: Phortis Nespin
Apprentices: None Currently

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #168174 by Jestor
Cyan, I saw you on the timer this morning, I hope your meditation was good!!

I am in a constant state of meditation, and although I do slip out, its not to often...

I enjoyed the app this morning, and will probably upgradde my version for a new bell sound, :lol:...

5 minutes today for me, and hopefully I can get a longer than 3 day streak, lol...

I think that was my record on the other app, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Cyan Sarden

More
9 years 5 months ago #168194 by Cyan Sarden

Jestor wrote: Cyan, I saw you on the timer this morning, I hope your meditation was good!!

I am in a constant state of meditation, and although I do slip out, its not to often...

I enjoyed the app this morning, and will probably upgradde my version for a new bell sound, :lol:...

5 minutes today for me, and hopefully I can get a longer than 3 day streak, lol...

I think that was my record on the other app, lol...

:-) - I've been on my longest uninterrupted streak ever since I started using the app on a regular basis. Now I just hope I don't get thrown off again like last time - had bronchitis and was out of the game for two weeks, took me a month to get started again. I like the Shürong and the Dêngzê best - the Basu (just quoting the app for the names - I no absolutely nothing of bell types) almost gives me a heart attack if I don't turn down the volume.

I used to enjoy my 15-30 minutes (depending on how much time I have) tremendously, but lately, I've been too tired for the longer sessions (got a baby at home...) and if nothing else helps, I'll probably have to reduce time and try to focus a bit faster. I'd love to be able to get more out of shorter sessions, it just takes me forever to calm down initially.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 5 months ago #168209 by Jestor
I am very fortunate as I can "drop out" in a second or two...

And even be snoring in minutes, lol...

I do have times of restlessness of course, but they are more the exception than the rule!

Lucky me!!

My wife is jealous of my "drop out" ability, lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
9 years 5 months ago #168284 by Cyan Sarden

Jestor wrote: I am very fortunate as I can "drop out" in a second or two...

And even be snoring in minutes, lol...

I do have times of restlessness of course, but they are more the exception than the rule!

Lucky me!!

My wife is jealous of my "drop out" ability, lol...

I've noticed that my concentration during the day has considerably improved lately (a side-effect of meditation, and perhaps my studies here, which require me to actually concentrate once in a while :-) So my wife's now mentioned that I sometimes zone out completely (e.g. the other day when watching TV - I was watching something that caught my interest and caused myself to direct my total attention to it. Apparently, my wife was talking to me but I didn't hear a word). The same goes for other occasions - I start finding myself thinking about stuff and shut out everything else. It's not like a daydream - my mind doesn't just wander, I really do think during these moments :-) Anyway, I need to make sure this doesn't happen while driving.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 5 months ago #168654 by
I just started using the app yesterday. I've meditated using it three times so far, all different guided meditations. I love it. I found a few shorter ones so that I could get in a quick meditation between tasks or during my lunch brake. They've been wonderful and it really makes me want to meditate more often. This was a great suggestion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi