How to stay dedicated to working out.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #162492 by
Hello, Haven't posted in a while. Like, a while. And I was wondering how people stay dedicated to exercise. I find it really hard. Especially as a lot has been going on lately. Does anyone have any tips to staying on top of your physical fitness. I find it really hard. I have flight lessons, exam's and a lot of hobbies that I enjoy doing. Obviously, I want to follow the Jedi way. But things keep getting in my way. Does anyone have any enlightenment on how to keep my exercise up as I tend to get "Bored" of it. After like, a week. It's a little sad really :(

Please can someone enlighten me on this subject,

MTFBWY!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #162494 by Edan
I am also terrible at finding the motivation to keep doing exercise, but so far I've found the best way is to have a goal.

At the moment, I am working towards being able to run 5 miles for a charity run in December. The thought of doing that and conking out half way because I didn't work hard enough or practice running enough is enough to keep me motivated.
Also, by telling everyone I'm doing this it means that I have others to help hold me to account. If I don't go running my lodger tells me off :P

So yeah... have an aim or goal :)

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #162502 by
Goals are a good way to stay dedicated. I have also found having someone go with you to the gym and work out with you is another good way, which is a role I have played in a few people's fitness life. Think of said person as the little angel figure in popular cartoon that you may see on a person's shoulder. lol ;)

More
9 years 6 months ago #162517 by Kit
Also something that helps some people is a reward system (preferably not food lol) perhaps say "if I do my workouts today, I get to do *insert hobby here* or you get to blow so much money for every mile or hour you work out. My husband and I use to bet chores on our workouts lol. Can I get through two miles before he gets his one in? Then he gets to make dinner and clean the dishes lol.

Making it a game makes it more enjoyable for me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #162547 by
I had a really hard time while I was deployed to Afghanistan. Put on enough weight to be right near my max, my cardio sucked and I just couldn't do anything. When I got back, I joined the rugby team. On top of PT with my shop I got better at being dedicated to fitness. I'm still not the best but I guess this is my advice:

Find something you WANT or LIKE to do.

Don't like lifting? Don't lift, run or ride a bike

Don't like running? Learn how to box or play a sport.

Don't like sports? Go for nature walks with a weighted backpack.

There's all kinds of options, you just have to find something you enjoy to do so you can just do it without it feeling like a chore. The rest will come with time

More
9 years 6 months ago #162576 by Adder
I've put my old Total Gym in the middle of the space between my dining and lounge room, and since I can sit on it.... I let my laziness work for me. All I needed from that was a routine workout plan which has a lot of lying down, and I'm GTG!!! I do leave a bodybuilding mag lying around the place too, to remind me what I am supposed to look like
:blink:
A nice tasting protein drink works as well. Make it a reward for working out, only having it post-workout, so you can see I've let my laziness, messiness and hunger all work for me!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 6 months ago #162591 by Brenna
There are a few common reasons why motivations flag.

Right goal - is the goal challenging enough so youre not bored? Too big that you're putting it off?

Right motivation - What is the real reason you want to work out? What are you really trying to achieve? When you go beyond the obvious and find what it is you really want from the end result, the motivation becomes a lot easier.

Right action plan - is your plan realistic? Does it have a time frame? does it fit with the rest of your life? Have you put in place things that will support you?

Just some thoughts.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi