• Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 7 months ago #157739 by RyuJin
military strain was created by RyuJin
Thought I'd start this for our military members to discuss some of the stresses,strains,anxieties, etc that they face on a regular basis.

The only ones that can really understand what military members go/have gone through are other military members.

Military service does affect behaviour, mood, and health but not only in positive ways, negative as well. First there is the culture shock of bootcamp where they break you down and build you back up. I've seen my share of people crack under the pressure, to the point of receiving a discharge (we called them section 8's). Those that make it through then have to get through the strain of their chosen training school. From there it's into service...that presents a whole new mess of stresses depending upon where you're stationed...there's isolation from family, foreign opposition, and countless other stressors.

When I served I did many things I never did prior, nor since...most of us do, it's one of many coping methods servicemen use...some get reckless(like me), some get violent, some use alcohol,some drugs, some combine methods...and then we find ourselves facing the stress of returning to civilian life which has become an alien world to us...the lack of structure and organization is enough to set us off...some of us(most of us) take years to readjust, some need help ,some don't...for all, time, understanding, and patience are needed....

So yeah I figured I'd park this post for our other military members to discuss the some of the challenges they have faced or are currently facing...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #157772 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic military strain
Culture shock re-entering the civilian world. Man you are not lying! Not only was it a culture shock, it shook me so much I found myself running to another service. Not having a clue what would come next, I found myself back in basic training- which got extended another 4 weeks due to an ankle injury from running down stairs (not really optional not to when you've got "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE" screaming in your ear every morning :laugh: ). Then off to my first unit. I've not even been here a month and unlike many of my XRAY shipmates, I've just gotten placed on an "A" School list, as the rate I want has gone critical since I graduated. Which means, my family will need to move in less than a year after I qualify, because my rate does not have a slot here in Monterey.

But you know, it sounds a lot worse than it actually is. I need this school so that I can advance as quickly as possible, or I'll find myself on a "Crispy List" (didn't make rank fast enough? Sorry, gotta go...) My situation is unique though. Only one other person from my class has the same pressure for time that I do, he and I have about 3.5-4 years to make our E5. But the Coast Guard has been great for me so far. I'm barely starting out, and all I can be is excited for what's around the river bend.

The first culture shock I got was Army Basic- and it wasn't too terrible. The second was becoming a civilian, and the third- that was reporting to my first unit and seeing how vastly different the two services are. Sometimes culture shock can be good experiences, that is definitely the truth of the USCG.

But there is another group that experience hardships in all of this. I've been both dual military, the spouse, and the military member, so I recognize that my husband and other spouses also experience difficulty as they deal with the military life. So, if it's not a problem, I'd like to extend this thread to also their family members?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #157808 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic military strain
That's fine...service takes its toll on them as well....I lost count of how many marriages collapsed while I was in the navy....some in very bad ways... being prior service you should make e5 in that time frame fairly easy...do they still acknowledge your rank from prior service or have they changed that policy since I've ben out?....

Because of the time I joined I qualified for early advancement (for the exams portion)...scored almost perfect on the e4 exam with only 2weeks of preparation due to my training officer being clueless about my eligibility (which meant I had to complete 3manuals in 2weeks)....

For a good while after my discharge whenever civvies did something that didn't make sense I wanted to smash their heads in the wall...a few months ago a met a seabee that had just been discharged and he was freaking out about civvies, part of me found it amusing because it was the same for me..

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by RyuJin.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 7 months ago #157809 by ren
Replied by ren on topic military strain

I lost count of how many marriages collapsed while I was in the navy

Funny how their recruitment folk will do everything to convince you you can have a very stable family life, yet every guy who's been in the unform more than a year you meet says otherwise... And don't even think about trying your luck with the female officers, commandment wants to keep them for themselves (but BS you that it's a matter of national security and whatnot)....

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
9 years 7 months ago #157861 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic military strain

ren wrote:

I lost count of how many marriages collapsed while I was in the navy

Funny how their recruitment folk will do everything to convince you you can have a very stable family life, yet every guy who's been in the unform more than a year you meet says otherwise... And don't even think about trying your luck with the female officers, commandment wants to keep them for themselves (but BS you that it's a matter of national security and whatnot)....

I can only speak from my experience. I've been in the military since 2001. I've been married since 2008. I've been a father since 2010. As a matter of fact, today is my oldest son's 4th birthday. I am deployed as I write this, but am lucky enough to be close to the internet on his special day. I saw him last over FaceTime, blonde hair tucked under one of my team hats, running around our back yard with half a dozen pals and climbing on his wooden jungle gym. My wife was calling after him and laughing because his little 1 year-old red-headed brother face-planted going head first down the slide. I look down at my iPad mini and realize I've got my own personal window into heaven. My wife and several of her friends are seated around a table on our back patio, sunglasses on and drinking lemonade. Every so often a mom will call out a warning to a wayward child, then get back to chatting. I'm not so much interested in what my wife is saying as I am her body language. I can read her like a book.

One thing you have to understand about her is that she is very expressive in her body language and has been since she was a child - she's hearing impaired. Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves...my wife wears everything. I can tell she's relieved to see me safe, thrilled that I could FaceTime today, and more than a little tired. Two boys and a 7-month pregnancy are tough on a woman during a deployment. I talk with my son for the entirety of his fifteen-second attention span. I wish him a happy birthday, ask him if he is having fun, and tell him I love him. He shows me the team hat he is wearing, cinched down for a child's head and says "See dad? I'm wearing a hat like you. Bye!" I wish I had more time with him, but he is already back in the mix. He is excited because he got his first pedal bike a few days ago, and transitioned from balance bike to pedal in about thirty minutes time. My wife sent me the video of him riding for the first time. I have watched it about a dozen times already. She rolls her eyes, shakes her head and asks after me. I shrug, tell her I'm a little tired and missing them today. She nods, watching my lips move and my body language. She smiles for me and tells me everything is good on their end - my younger son's bottom molar finally came in and he's sleeping well...the birthday boy already crashed his bike and skinned an elbow...our husky was back up to old tricks and escaped the yard earlier... She talks and signs because she doesn't ask about my day, she only asks how *I* am. We pass unspoken assurances to one another throughout the exchange, reading one another and spending intimate moments in common presence while the world tilts around us for a brief time. That is one of the plus things about my wife's impairment: When she looks at you, you are her world as long as you hold her eyes. I hear crying through the tablet and she looks over the top of the camera. The moment is over. She glances back, we exchange I-love-yous, and she holds her pinky, thumb and pointer fingers up in the sign for "I love you." I do the same and the picture freezes then disappears.

We have had countless similar exchanges - some longer, some shorter over the years. Like any relationship, we have our ups and downs. Mistakes, regrets, miscommunications. I would say that life in the military is apt to magnify things - the good and the bad. Weathering the absence, the uncertainty, and the fear takes quite a rare strength. It is not a job...it is a calling and a way of life. I signed up for this...she did not. But I guess she signed up for me, knowing she had no idea what she was in for and taking that leap into the unknown on good faith. If you ask either of us about our family life, we would agree that it is stable. Are we more the exception than the rule? Maybe. 13 years of continual deployments will fatigue ANY institution. But there are plenty of happy, healthy families out there. It takes work on everyone's part - including the children's - but it is something we all cherish. I could do many things in many walks of life, and some day it may be time to start a new adventure. For now, though, if I did anything else I would be less the man, father, and husband my family deserves. I am not saying anything is perfect, because it is not. Not by any definition of the word. I understand that failure is always a possibility somewhere on the horizon, and I can never take what I have for granted. Any success outside the home will never make up for failure within it. Perhaps we ARE more the exception, but then again turmoil is always loud - just like with people. Insecurities are loud and confidence is quiet. A collapsing relationship may be more public than those quiet couples who consistently work on the mundane commitments of everyday life together.

As for female officers, they run the spectrum of leadership just like men do. Some are shoulder to shoulder among the best officers I've ever seen. No one keeps them for anything.

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Edan

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 7 months ago #157891 by ren
Replied by ren on topic military strain
We couldn't touch them although that was special circumstances (and it's not like we'd get court martialled for it either), I don't know how it went for other officers... and the combat troops I knew of plain didn't have women in them, sometimes would have to leave without a word to anyone and only be able to contact their gf months afterwards.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #157908 by RyuJin
Video chat/facetime I think certainly helps...face to face visual communication can say more than words...I enjoy seeing/hearing things like that reacher, it shows that if you work at it things work out...it takes work and understanding for any relationship to last...

Glad you chose to share that :)

As to female officers..when I served they were very few and far between...I only met 3, the dr that initially diagnosed my appendicitis, the dr assigned for my follow up, and the j.a.g(judge advocate general) lawyer I had for my s.c.m.(special court martial)...all 3 seemed as though they were miles away in any interactions with junior enlisted...

Quotes:

Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by RyuJin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #158224 by
Replied by on topic military strain
Being prior military, and a 4th generation soldier, I can attest to most of these strains. I am still having trouble readjusting to civilian life after receiving my discharge. I feel as if the civilian world is in constant chaos, there is no order, peace, no organization or structure. It has ultimately caused a lot of stress and anxiety in my life, and I have found after the separation that finding my inner peace through meditation has gotten even harder.

And a off note, who all remembers hospital corners? lol! I will be the first to admit, I am still in the habit of doing them. :blush:
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 7 months ago #158229 by RyuJin
Lol...I use fitted sheets and still occasionally find myself doing hospital corners....and I've been out for 16 years....I still watch the disorganized chaos that are civilians and try to figure them out...

Like you I'm a "legacy" serviceman, meaning multi-generational...with the exception of my parents generation, every generation has had members that served militarily going back to the 11th century....recently I found my family coat of arms on a list of templar grandmasters ca1149-1152.....

I think family histories like that can put added strain to servicemen since there's that desire to live up to the legacy, and that disappointment if you fail to do so (a disappointment I know well)...

Quotes:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #158233 by
Replied by on topic military strain
I assume the struggle is different for others. My father has been retired for around 3 years now, and has no trouble adjusting.

I fully understand the burden of the legacy service. So far my lineage has been traced back to the Battle of Hastings which was fought on 14 October 1066. I have had family in every major military war known to man kind. So, I can relate to the disappointment that is present, especially in my family of where almost everyone has retired from military service.

As to the Templars family discovery, that is very interesting. I have always wanted to study more on the Templars. I have heard several different theories on them, but so far have not been able to distinguished fact from fiction. (Many of the fictitious stories I believe come from fantasy and speculation evolving from the Assassin Creed franchise. lol)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi