Jedi diet

More
9 years 8 months ago #155962 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Jedi diet

Learn_To_Know wrote: It's not a requirement here either. My wife did a lot of research on the big food companies to figure out which ones use GMOs and which ones don't.

It's become somewhat of a trendy thing for companies to label if they are GMO free or not (and since you can't outright lie on the label) it helps a bit in choosing foods.

You wouldn't happen to have that information you could share with us would you? :D

I am not a fan of GMOs and do almost all the cooking in my house. I shop at the local market for growers and get what ever is in season, but I do still buy stuff (hard to call it food) from the grocer to supplement what I can't get from local growers.

PS, I will be so happy to be out of the city and back in the country with my own garden again. :P

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155964 by
Replied by on topic Jedi diet

RyuJin wrote: ...plus how many "healthy looking" vegans/vegetarians have you seen...most of the ones I've met were pale/pasty, underweight, they looked like their ribs were xylophones...

Wait a second :huh: lol
Pale, yes - I try to avoid prolonged sun exposure while also trying to get enough of it to be healthy, but I am quite pale.
Underweight? Not really haha I like weightlifting far too much to be underweight. ;)
Although I know you didn't say every vegetarian, I just had to chime in on that.
I've never felt better than I have doing what I'm doing now. I have more energy and just feel better over all. It really is such an individual thing after the basics are put in place. There are just too many different types of bodies for it to be that way. Thank goodness there are so many healthy foods for us to pick from :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155966 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: You wouldn't happen to have that information you could share with us would you? :D

She has that information somewhere, haha. I've been trying to get her to join the Temple for over a year now...maybe I can get her to join now so she can share that with us!

If not, I'll just ask her and then let you know. :)

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 8 months ago #155971 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Jedi diet

RyuJin wrote: plus how many "healthy looking" vegans/vegetarians have you seen...most of the ones I've met were pale/pasty, underweight, they looked like their ribs were xylophones...bony is not beautiful...and they were always getting sick from one thing or another...

Vegetarian for 8 years, vegan for almost 2. I was a good deal healthier, stronger and fitter than I am now. But, I ate well and huge variety in my diet. Then I started eating "normally" and have spent the last 2 years trying to undo the damage that "normal" has done to my health.

Interestingly, the majority of vegetarians I know are overweight, ironically, because they dont eat many vegetables. They eat processed crap or high cereal diets with very little "real" food. Much like most non vegetarians....

Vegetables are not meant to fill you up. Thats the role of protein and fats. They are however incredibly nutritionally dense. You eat them for nutrition, and variety, not satiety.

However, I dont eat GMOs in any form if I can avoid it. Thankfully food labeling is mandatory here (no thats to USA trying to change that in the current trade agreement negotiations... perhaps I shouldnt get started on that or we will be here all week!) and I eat as much organic/free range whole food as possible.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #155977 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi diet

... I was wondering what kind of diet the members here have.

I can give you my shopping list!! Freerange egg's, skinless organic chicken meat, organic millet powder, organic quinoa, organic corn, organic cacao, honey, organic sweet potato, organic broccoli, organic cauliflower...

... and the cheat's are bacon (just the meat, all fat removed), organic plain yoghurt, organic coffee, matcha tee, and chocolate flavoured whey protein powder.

That is it, quite literally. Spices are used to create sauces and this then also requires additionally coconut cream/milk. Oh and sometimes almond milk too.

There is a bottle of white rum in the fridge but that doesn't count, sometimes partnered with apple juice or pineapple juice, LOL.

I didn't start that way, but ended up there. Other foods are avoided due to causing irritation to the gut which in turn aggravates an immune response (results vary across individuals). I do have some vitamin supplements to cover any weak areas.

I'm also very pale but I've always been like that, its just my skin color, being told consistently to avoid sun cancer, and didn't change when I ate lots of meat or take-away. Vitamin D3 supplementation might help if one thinks they are not getting enough sunlight exposure.

Edit Update: I've switched out Millet flour for Buckwheat flour.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #155983 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Jedi diet
Wow, remind me to bring/hunt/kill my own food if I come for a visit :lol: ....most of that list doesn't sound very tasty or appetizing :sick:

And I'm the type that would eat canned dog/cat food in an apocalypse Lol :lol:

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya,

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 8 months ago #155987 by Brenna
My diet looks a good deal like yours Adder. Except that I eat small amounts red meat. I also have a much bigger variety of veg. and i'm a little addicted to green smoothies and avocados :D

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
9 years 8 months ago #155988 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi diet

RyuJin wrote: Wow, remind me to bring/hunt/kill my own food if I come for a visit :lol: ....most of that list doesn't sound very tasty or appetizing :sick:

And I'm the type that would eat canned dog/cat food in an apocalypse Lol :lol:

Lol, yea well I'll eat anything (if it tastes good) for a special occasion... but that's my normal daily/weekly boring food routine. All this talk of food is making me hungry...

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #155994 by
Most any food is generically modified in a myriad of ways for a looong time.

Breeding the best stock.

Keeping the seeds from the best vegetables.

Selective breeding is but one way, but keep in mind humans have been selectively breeding for so long that anything your eating is GMO

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #155995 by Brenna

Khaos wrote: Most any food is generically modified in a myriad of ways for a looong time.

Breeding the best stock.

Keeping the seeds from the best vegetables.

Selective breeding is but one way, but keep in mind humans have been selectively breeding for so long that anything your eating is GMO

genetic modification and selective breeding or hybridization are not quite the same thing. When we talk about genetic modification, we are generally referring to plants that are deliberately altered on a genetic level to have completely unnatural traits. With Monsonto seeds for example, they are modified to withstand high levels of pesticide use (also manufactured by them, conveniently). Plants that have been hybridized or selectively saved cannot be patented because they are still "natural". A GMO is a product designed and created by means that are impossible in nature.

Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Brenna.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi