• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154406 by Brenna
Ive been doing some research for a university paper on psychological patterns and diet, and I've been increasingly fascinated by soda drinking habits. (full disclosure, I think soda is the devil and I dont touch it) but I couldnt get my head around how people of varying weights and eating habits could drink up to 6L of soda a day!!

In my searching, I found this

http://documentaryaddict.com/Sugar+The+Bitter+Truth+Lecture-2833-doc.html

The over all lecture is really interesting, but at around 14min, he mentions something I didnt actually know about coke. It contains salt. Which in addition to the caffeine creates both a dehydrating AND diuretic effect.

yeah, coke is designed to make you thirsty, go figure.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Brenna.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154408 by
My mother, after her cancer, was told by a doctor that soda drinks were like cancer in a can (maybe he was being a bit hyperbolic) but the effect stuck with me. I rarely drink it.

I'd much rather have water. :cheer:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154409 by
A coffee in the morning, a cup of tea or two throughout the day, a whiskey at night (all for medicinal reasons) and water the rest of the time. I try to avoid all soda drinks.

• Brenna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #154410 by Brenna
Cancer in a can.... Well there is certainly a growing amount of evidence to suggest that. That and potential links to neurological issues.

The sugar issue and that fact that people are vastly underestimating their caloric intake because of soda has always been a bug bear for me, but I start to get a bit militant over the "diet" versions. Artificial sweeteners are bad enough, combine them with caffeine and you have a chemical shit storm on your hands.

If you have a chance to watch the lecture, something that is very clear is how extremely accessible soda makes excess sugar, and excess calories. Certainly a big part of the problem.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Brenna.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #154417 by
I don't know how they can do it but I've known several people who get their entire fluid intake via soft drink. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. I feel bad enough if I have more than glass of juice a day. Just love my water. :)

More
9 years 7 months ago #154428 by Kit
Ask my husband LOL Before I met him he was downing that much in Dr. Pepper a day. I've got him down to three cans or less a day now.

I love soda but I don't like feeling like crap so I don't drink a whole lot of it. And I lost my craving for it after getting pregnant anyways. I just want water most of the time :D Which is probably a very good thing XD

More
9 years 7 months ago #154434 by Edan
If I'm completely honest...I drink the (diet) stuff.. not every day though, and usually only a can.. but I like it so... can't say much more than that!

I hate the taste of water (don't tell me there's no taste!) and squash is full of sugar so I've kind of trapped myself there. At the moment I'm putting lemon in my water.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 7 months ago #154442 by ren
I'm completely addicted to pepsi max and drink very little water. I reckon aspartame is [strike]better than[/strike] not as bad as high fructose corn syrup though.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 7 months ago #154447 by RyuJin
We've all got to die of something sometime, might as well die happy :lol:

6liters a day?....can the stomach hold that much? Can the bladder? Can the toilet handle that much flushing? :woohoo:

I drink 2 sodas a day both of which are citrus based, the rest of the time I drink gatorade,water,fruit juice, green tea, sweet tea, etc...

Coke used to be made with coca as in the main ingredient in cocaine and was used as a health tonic...to transport the syrup for coke you have to have a hazmat (hazardous materials) endorsement on your license...

If you live long enough everything causes cancer...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 7 months ago #154449 by ren
Most kinds of concentrates of anything are hazardous... breakdown water (what firemen use to put fires out) to its bare components and you've got a highly explosive mix on your hands....

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi