Yoga

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #152396 by
Yoga was created by
Who does it? Which style do you practice?

I did Hatha for about six years as a teenager and am hoping to resume with twice-weekly Iyengar sessions which take place at my workplace. I hear Iyengar uses the same poses as Hatha but is more focused on precision and sequences of poses.

I still run through the sun salutation every once in a while as a form of moving meditation/mindfulness.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #152398 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Yoga
I practise Hatha yoga at home when my brain is in overdrive as it helps to shut my mind up.
I used to go to classes but I quit when a new teacher started and I could never keep up.

Admittedly I should do more.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

More
9 years 9 months ago #152402 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Yoga
I have this one issue with yoga...

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 9 months ago #152411 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Yoga
I do some....don't know the name of it, got the poses out of a yoga book...

I do love the wardrobe women seem to feel obligated to wear while doing yoga....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 9 months ago #152483 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Yoga
I do salutation to the sun every few days, and some of the seated asana's to help with my seated meditation. I do like the sleeping abdominal pose (Supta Udarakarshansana), and anything else which I can fall asleep in!!

So no not really, but Ms Adder spent some time learning from a female disciple of Satyananda Saraswati so sometimes I'll join in with her, its good fun but I'm not very 'stretched' so its no competition unfortunately.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #152590 by
Replied by on topic Yoga
I love yoga :)
I completed teacher training for it about a year ago.
I'm going to be obnoxious and say that there aren't many forms I don't like. I've done several different ones but find most people are interested in learning Vinyasa, so that's what I teach. Of course, sometimes I'll sneak some Yin and Kundalini in with it :)

My own practice is based on my need at the time. My favorites are lunar salutations, back bends, and inversions. :silly:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by .

More
9 years 9 months ago #152592 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Yoga
I have a favorite Yoga…
It was hard at first!
And you have to have certain equipment to do it.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

But I think I got it down pretty good. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, , Amaya, Edan

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 9 months ago #152646 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Yoga
Lol Wes.

I do something of a personalised version of Vinyasa. In other words, Ive taken what I want from it and do what feels right for me. I tend to use it now days as a pre meditation practice, and to be more aware of how my body is responding to other forms of activity. Sort of like a check in to see whats going on.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Edan

More
9 years 8 months ago #156165 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Yoga
I have a yoga question... perhaps someone here can answer it...

Whenever I take classes the teacher always makes us hold the poses for ages, but when I do videos or see others do it on youtube etc, everything is a lot more fluid and less stiff. Which is right? Or are both right?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156166 by
Replied by on topic Yoga
Hi
I have a theory but I'm not sure this is totally correct .
I have been doing yoga for about 6 months and when I do them in a beginners class with a teacher, we stand in the poses for a while, and then there is a more advanced class, and there we do it with more of a flow but I think that the answer to your question is, that there are many different kinds of yoga, and that the different kinds are for different situations, and I think that the beginners class is more standing in a pose is to get all the posses right before you move on to the flowing yoga, but again it's only a theory. ;P

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi