Best martial art?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #142920 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?
I'm thinking about starting Kendo. Does anyone have any experiences with that or would you recommend it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #142934 by
Kendo is great if you like rules that will help you become more aware of chivalry in your everyday life. But it does tend to be rules heavy and doesn't lend itself to a free spirit type personality. I personally don't think it teaches one enough of swordplay to be effective in real combat. It's an external martial art with heavy emphasis on the internal.

If you are looking for something useable on the street while also training the spirit I would suggest Wing Chun. Depending on where you live it may be hard to find a lineage teacher.

And finally, if you just want the be the largest threat on the field you could try out Krav Maga. It is a medley of several martial arts. However the focus is on survival/winning so not much there for the spiritual seeker.

I don't know every martial art out there. But if you haven't already, rent some martial arts movies. IP Man series, anything with Sammo Hung, the Seven Samurai, The Protector, oh man the list could go on forever. Just watch the forms and see yourself doing them. Find a teacher for it and good luck. :-)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 3 weeks ago #142938 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Best martial art?
As Bruce Lee said " no one style has all the answers, you must seek out many styles, get many answers. Take what works for you and discard what doesn't."

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #142948 by
It's all about what you hope to take away from the style you learn. From Tai Chi, I learned patience because it was so slow and I wanted to learn everything and how it could be used in defense. When my teacher actually showed me the moves sped up, I was amazed. From Kung Fu, I learned to control my body because quite a lot of it requires certain postures and is very Confucian in nature as things have proper places and timings. Come to think of it, the name Confucianism comes from the original translation of K'ung-fu-tzu (pronounced 'gongfoodzuh'), so it only makes sense that Kung Fu takes this nature. As the Bruce Lee quote points out, learn all you can from as many styles as you can and use only that which suits your needs.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #142950 by

Frost wrote: I did karate for a year, about three years ago and I am therefore well aware that the instructor plays a huge role so suggesting a specific club could be the best way forward but any info is appreciated.

Anyway, I've decided I want to reach and then maintain a high level of fitness so I joined my local gym (finally making use of my student discount), I only managed to go for a week though before I sprained my ankle last weekend down at a local park. So whilst I'm bored waiting for the swelling to go down I'm just planning what I'll do when I get back and I am interested in starting a martial art again. Basically I'm looking for something that is focused on dexterity, endurance and mental strength. If it's any help I live in the South West of England.

Anyway I think this is my first proper post so, yeah, hello everybody :) and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Dexterity, endurance and mental strength you say? Why not give parkour a try. Urban free flow (if it still exists) has a pretty good write up on the philosophy of parkour. I am kinda knowledgeable on it so if you have any questions just ask or shoot me a pm.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #143058 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Best martial art?
Drunk style

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago #143059 by
The best martial art is the one you train in. Its going to be 1000 % more fun, useful, and beneficial than the ones you dont.

Check out some schools, take some free classes, and pick the one you like best.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #144890 by
I guess it depends on how you define, "best". If best just means the martial art that teaches you dexterity, endurance, and fitness then you may not be looking for a martial art at all (Aikido maybe). Yoga, Pilates (I have no idea how prevalent this is on your side of the pond), Kick-Boxing, or maybe join a jogger group?

I'm personally interested in Judo because it has always struck me as the least violent and most realistically helpful type of martial art (for someone like me). Lately, I've been wanting to get into it because it would help me get into shape, stay fit, and develop some physical discipline.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 days ago #144894 by

Ve-Lo-Zi wrote: I'm thinking about starting Kendo. Does anyone have any experiences with that or would you recommend it?

I have been practicing Niten Ichi Ryu style Hyoho (in Niten Institute, here in Brazil) since I was 17 (I am 22).
Try it! It will be a unique experience!
Attachments:

More
10 years 4 days ago #144910 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Best martial art?
Extreme thumb wrestling...

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi