Best martial art?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #141370 by
Best martial art? was created by
I did karate for a year, about three years ago and I am therefore well aware that the instructor plays a huge role so suggesting a specific club could be the best way forward but any info is appreciated.

Anyway, I've decided I want to reach and then maintain a high level of fitness so I joined my local gym (finally making use of my student discount), I only managed to go for a week though before I sprained my ankle last weekend down at a local park. So whilst I'm bored waiting for the swelling to go down I'm just planning what I'll do when I get back and I am interested in starting a martial art again. Basically I'm looking for something that is focused on dexterity, endurance and mental strength. If it's any help I live in the South West of England.

Anyway I think this is my first proper post so, yeah, hello everybody :) and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #141393 by
Replied by on topic Best martial art?
Greetings Frost San Oss .

I'm across country from you South East . As am sure you are aware there are a great may Martial art clubs and societies around these days practicing the traditional arts as well as the 'modern' art forms.

From my own experience I think you just have to visit one or two and make up your own mind which one will benefit you as an individual.

If you ever find yourself over n Kent please drop by. I have a friend you has contacts all over the country so I will ask him f he knows of any down your way. a location would be helpful my friend :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #141396 by
When I was a teenager, we had a place in town called Police Athletic League, and they had 2 or 3 martial arts classes every day of the week. I got to participate in just about everyone of them over a 6 year period, and by the end I had developed in essence my own unique style. I recommend anyone take a class regardless of what it is, because you can always find some use in it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #141397 by
It's not a martial art but have you ever considered doing yoga (of a more intense style)? For endurance I think that can work, and it's great for flexibility and generally shaping up. It's also soft enough you could probably do it with a sprained ankle, just do the exercises and balancing more on one side if need be! I personally sometimes do PX90 Yoga with a video online which is fairly difficult.

Otherwise- I agree that the instructor makes a lot of difference. Have you ever thought about doing Jiu Jitsu? I live in England as well but up north (family lives down south-west though) so I know from experience and there is actually quite a large number of people and clubs across the country who do Jiu Jitsu. Depending on which group you join- it's intense, mentally and physically, punching and getting thrown so many times in 2 hours generally tires you out, and as you progress, you start practising for numerous opponents and have to disarm and "finish" them as quickly as possible before the next person comes (This is called a V- two lines of people like in a V, and an instructor at the front who taps for the next person to go and try to punch you). It's a self-defence martial art but it can get rather aggressive or so I've found. And each time you grade and get the next belt, more throws, wrist/arm (and eventually head) locks are introduced and more weapons. Mostly safe weapons like plastic bottles and rubber knives, but at least you'll know the basics if you're in the bar and someone loses it and comes at you with one!

Good luck and enjoy your journey wherever you go

More
10 years 1 week ago #141398 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Best martial art?
From my experience, there is no one single application of martial arts which is so far elevated above other forms as to be called "The best". Each form has it's own unique advantages and disadvantages, which is why so many professional fighters know multiple forms of martial arts. One particularly useful yet overlooked martial art however is parkour, which is essentially the art of running away as quickly, and efficiently from a hostile situation.

Just my two cents.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28,

More
10 years 1 week ago #141412 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Best martial art?
Krav Maga, not saying it's "the best," but it's definitely up there....
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/07/10/a-primer-on-krav-maga-the-combative-system-of-the-israeli-defense-forces/

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 1 week ago #141414 by

Vusuki wrote: It's not a martial art but have you ever considered doing yoga (of a more intense style)? For endurance I think that can work, and it's great for flexibility and generally shaping up. It's also soft enough you could probably do it with a sprained ankle, just do the exercises and balancing more on one side if need be! I personally sometimes do PX90 Yoga with a video online which is fairly difficult.

Otherwise- I agree that the instructor makes a lot of difference. Have you ever thought about doing Jiu Jitsu? I live in England as well but up north (family lives down south-west though) so I know from experience and there is actually quite a large number of people and clubs across the country who do Jiu Jitsu. Depending on which group you join- it's intense, mentally and physically, punching and getting thrown so many times in 2 hours generally tires you out, and as you progress, you start practising for numerous opponents and have to disarm and "finish" them as quickly as possible before the next person comes (This is called a V- two lines of people like in a V, and an instructor at the front who taps for the next person to go and try to punch you). It's a self-defence martial art but it can get rather aggressive or so I've found. And each time you grade and get the next belt, more throws, wrist/arm (and eventually head) locks are introduced and more weapons. Mostly safe weapons like plastic bottles and rubber knives, but at least you'll know the basics if you're in the bar and someone loses it and comes at you with one!

Good luck and enjoy your journey wherever you go

I might give some Yoga a go this afternoon if my ankle can take it thanks :).

Also you've really sold Jiu Jitso to me, I'll definitely looking into that!

Zenchi wrote: Krav Maga, not saying it's "the best," but it's definitely up there....
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/07/10/a-primer-on-krav-maga-the-combative-system-of-the-israeli-defense-forces/

Krav Maga was the one that interested me most from my own research, it's just the only local class is inconveniently timed and well not really that local. Still though, I will look into it more, thanks.

Kohadra wrote: From my experience, there is no one single application of martial arts which is so far elevated above other forms as to be called "The best". Each form has it's own unique advantages and disadvantages, which is why so many professional fighters know multiple forms of martial arts. One particularly useful yet overlooked martial art however is parkour, which is essentially the art of running away as quickly, and efficiently from a hostile situation.

Just my two cents.

Interesting idea and though it's not something I suspect I'll start with, it's certainly something I'll keep in mind for the future. :)

Thanks a lot all of you

More
10 years 1 week ago #141449 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Best martial art?
I'm forever singing the praises of t'ai chi, as its one of the best internal arts for me, but there's no such thing as a "best" martial art. Each art's effectiveness is judged solely on the way your body is structured and the task to which you put it. I think t'ai chi is best for me in the circumstances you're discussing because it does a world of good for my balance, flexibility, and joints, at a gentle pace. Still, it's combat-effective if you fully realize what your body is doing.

Might work for you, might not. It's more move-y than Yoga, which is better on my poor knees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, rugadd

More
10 years 1 week ago #141450 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Best martial art?

steamboat28 wrote: I'm forever singing the praises of t'ai chi, as its one of the best internal arts for me, but there's no such thing as a "best" martial art. Each art's effectiveness is judged solely on the way your body is structured and the task to which you put it. I think t'ai chi is best for me in the circumstances you're discussing because it does a world of good for my balance, flexibility, and joints, at a gentle pace. Still, it's combat-effective if you fully realize what your body is doing.

Might work for you, might not. It's more move-y than Yoga, which is better on my poor knees.

My knees don't hurt because I do yoga...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
10 years 1 minute ago #142919 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Best martial art?
Northern Shaolin Gong Fu. But I say that because that is what I do. I find it suits my mind as well as my body. I'm told I would be better at San Da, but if I was going that route I would just go all the way and learn Muay Thai.

rugadd

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi