Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock 04 May 2012 17:30 #59063

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I have a book of stories and I wanted to share one - it's the shortest one in the book, so I hope it's okay.

The tile of the book is "Native American Stories told by Joseph Bruchac"
The title of the story, "Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock"

The Lakota (Sioux) people say that in the beginning everything was in the mind of Wakan-Tanka.

All things which were to be existed only as spirits. Those spirits moved about in space seeking a place to manifest themselves. They traveled until they reached the sun, but it was not a good place for creation to begin because it was too hot. Finally they came to Earth, which was without life and covered with the great waters. There was no dry land at all for life to begin upon. But then, out of the waters, a great burning rock rose up. It made the dry land appear, and the clouds formed from the steam it created. Then the life on Earth could begin. So it is that the rock is called Tunka-shila, "Grandfather Rock," for it is the oldest one. Because of that, the rocks must be respected. In the sweat lodge, when the water strikes the heated stones and that mist rises once again, it brings back the moment of creation as the people in the lodge sing to Tunka-shila, the Grandfather, the old one.
Attachments:
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Hadi Apollos, Alexandre Orion, Scion
Last Edit: 04 May 2012 17:32 by Reliah.

Re: Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock 04 May 2012 18:00 #59067

Beautiful story, Reliah !

Cheers for having posted that ...
*Pasteur du TotJO/
Pastor of the TotJO

*Chevalier Jedi / Jedi Knight
*Évêque/Bishop, Ordained Minister of the TotJO

- Maître enseignant de Proteus, Darren & Roz
- Apprentice du Maître et Évêque Damion Storm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Elite: Dangerous (Last post by Streen)
    • That's cool, Adder. Nothing wrong with jerry rigging your controls. I actually dusted off an old track-ball mouse to use for Head Look mode while I'm flying with the joystick, as long as I don't need my hand on the throttle. That's a really good question, as to pricing. From what I've gathered, no one has ever mentioned a monthly fee. I don't think the game is technically an MMO. I hope there isn't a subscription though. Now you've got me worried Adder! :huh: LOL
    • Best star wars movie/scene (Last post by Streen)
    • I would have to say that ESB is my favorite movie, but my favorite scenes were in Revenge of the Sith. I think because of the heavy emotions when Obi-wan is fighting Anakin. The things they say to each other kind of break my heart: Anakin: You turned her against me! Obi-wan: You have done that yourself! Anakin: From my point of view the Jedi are evil! Obi-wan: Well then you are lost! Obi-wan: I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you. Obi-wan: You were the chosen one! It was said you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Anakin: I hate you! Obi-wan: You were my brother Anakin! I loved you!
    • Gisteron and Khaos, (and everyone else..:)..) (Last post by Luthien)
    • Quote: Thats nowhere in the question though. The question was whether or not I had seen something pretty. Mmm... true. I jump ahead of myself, at times, because I move past what's asked and go into other avenues of thought. So, my own participation in this, though not specifically called for, is as so: I speculate, or come to the conclusion, that I think things are pretty or beautiful because of experiences that gave me positive feelings. I find disgust in things that gave me negative feelings. That's not to say that these things couldn't swap places in future experiences, because things that I used to find ugly or obscene are now marvelous, somehow. I choose to see beauty in things based on a particular aspect that I find pleasant. It could be caused by triggers, as you mentioned, created in my earlier experiences. But, as I grow in my walk with the Force, I've been examining every thought and feeling to try and understand why I feel these things. It hasn't been easy, though. Being mindful during a time of complacency is difficult when distractions come my way. There are obviously things that I need to think more about. Thanks, Jestor... :laugh:
    • Emotional Meditation (Last post by Adder)
    • Yep, if you can exercise various emotional states, by creating them and removing them at will or going from one end of the spectrum to the other and back again, then you might be better able to shape unsolicited/unwanted emotions when they pop up (if needed). I found that while I might be better able to handle them, it also might have increased the range and therefore intensity of the extremes :pinch:
    • Caterpillars Blowing Smoke (Last post by Jestor)
    • No Khaos, we can't control how others might respond to our posts.... But they can... The constant hammering on a new question, thought, or idea, "theory" (in the colloquial sense), will stunt growth... Growth will stunt, and a movement, such as a force community, will die... Because as even you and Mr. Gisteron have said, not everything is known... Many here say "I don't know", many others offer reasons, theories (in the colloquial sense), ideas, or perhaps even, excuses... You (collectively, because you, Gisteron, Ren, and others are not alone) cant see it because you are like the rest of us... "Blind to our own faults" It is why sites die, become stagnant... Because folks quit posting, because the fear of ridicule outweighs their fear to know... They are not strong enough, yet... Look at it like gladiators, verbal gladiators... We are training those with no skill (correctly/fully formed ideas - no idea how to share them, etc) to begin with... You are a top gladiator and you are making the new ones not want to practice, cause your style of practice is too rough... They can barely carry the sword, and on each attempt to.pick it up, you "clang" it back down, vibration ringing in their hands... +++++++++++ To sum it all up, someone ask me about another access level where people that, hmm, uh, well, where beginners can post on "god" (as example, not strictly for) and have a discussions, without feeling like they are defending it from atrack... My argument is that the guest level forums will then dry up, and people such as yourself (Gisteron, whoever) will quit coming here... And, as another top gladiator (I feel), you guys don't bother me... Brenna talking about herself, would not have had the coolness to discuss like this when she joined, lol, sorry Brenna, ;)... But, I'm not perfect either, and vent occasionally to others, lol... And, I feel exchanges with you ARE important (like exchanges with everyone), by, only a certain caliber of gladiator can do it.... But so is training the "new" ones, and I am having trouble finding a solution...
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • INVENTOR DEVELOPS SYNTHETIC LEAF WHICH PRODUCES OXYGEN Julian Melchiorri, a graduate of the Royal College of Art, claims to have developed a silk leaf that could create oxygen for space travel as well as make the air nicer here on Earth. The leaf was developed in conjunction with a silk lab from Tufts University The leaf is created from a matrix of protein extracted from silk and chloroplasts, the organelle that allows plants and algae to perform photosynthesis. When provided with light and water, the synthetic leaf allegedly acts just like a real leaf and produces oxygen. “It’s very light, low energy-consuming,” he explains. “It’s completely biological and my idea was to use the efficiency of nature in a man-made environment. I created some lighting out of this material, using the light to illuminate the house but at the same time to create oxygen for us.” Malchiorri isn’t content to just think of a few small fixtures within the house as the only use for this product. His dreams for Silk Leaf are out of this world. "NASA is researching different ways to produce oxygen for long-distance space journeys to let us live in space,” he continued. “This material could allow us to explore space much further than we can now." In addition to meeting the breathing demands of astronauts and the first colonists of Mars and beyond, the material could be used on the facades of buildings and inside ventilation systems in order to generate fresh oxygen. All of this does sound pretty great, but does not account for photosynthesis in its entirety. Let’s take a look at the equation: 6CO2 + 6H2O + --(Sunlight Energy)--> C6H12O6 + 6O2 The Silk Leaf accounts for the input of carbon dioxide, water, and light as well as the oxygen product, but what about all the sugar? Plants don’t perform photosynthesis purely as a public service; it is done so they can create food for themselves. There isn’t an explanation as to what happens to the carbon and hydrogen that the leaf takes in. Silk Leaf lacks the vacuoles, stems, and roots that store food in plants. The video also claims that plants don’t grow in space, which isn’t true. There have been concerns in the past that roots require gravity in order to develop properly, but experiments from the ISS have shown that plants can grow in space. However, it would take a considerable amount of soil, water, and plants to generate enough oxygen for astronauts or a, so a lightweight alternative like Silk Leaf would be beneficial in that regard. Read more at www.iflscience.com/technology/inventor-d...#TgypDOj3fbYyIgB1.99
    • Cathedrals of Utopia (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Why does all the cool stuff happen far from me....the first thought when I saw that pic alan was one day far in the future historians/archeologists will find this and try to figure out what it is and how it was done....much like current views of stonehenge...
    • First Milestone (Last post by RyuJin)
    • 2 Pounds a week is definitely a good/healthy amount...at most 3pounds a week, any more and the risk of health issues increases...especially if diabetic, really young or really old...remember to mix things up every few weeks to prevent plateauing....grats and continued success to you
    • What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice? (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: The thing with moxibustion is they are meant to be full of mugwort, which is referenced in witchcraft and wicca info sometimes I think? Commonly used in witchcraft and Pagan traditions, yes (also by some Native American tribes)... and for varied reasons with various applications.
    • Why I Believe in god(s) (Last post by Khaos)
    • Quote: I even wondered if god had parents I remember thinking this very thing at about seven. It was sort of like the multiverse, multi multiverse, thing Tyson talks about. As those parents had to have had parents, etc. Then. my head exploded. :laugh:
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Luthien)
    • 3x12; 1 min. rest between sets 1. Crunch 2A. Barbell Split Squat 2B. Chinup 3A. Barbell Deadlift 3B. Overhead Press (from behind the neck, carefully) I'm spent. I'll do cardio tomorrow.

There are 264 visitors, 3 guests and 23 members online (none are in chat): Zanthan Storm, Octagon, Streen, Jestor, Trose , Proteus, Luthien, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Alan, PatrickB, Vusuki, Buvan, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, elizabeth, Zenchi, benedictveritas, Trice Corbel, Knigma, TambelSadera.

Follow Us