Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock 04 May 2012 17:30 #59063

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I have a book of stories and I wanted to share one - it's the shortest one in the book, so I hope it's okay.

The tile of the book is "Native American Stories told by Joseph Bruchac"
The title of the story, "Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock"

The Lakota (Sioux) people say that in the beginning everything was in the mind of Wakan-Tanka.

All things which were to be existed only as spirits. Those spirits moved about in space seeking a place to manifest themselves. They traveled until they reached the sun, but it was not a good place for creation to begin because it was too hot. Finally they came to Earth, which was without life and covered with the great waters. There was no dry land at all for life to begin upon. But then, out of the waters, a great burning rock rose up. It made the dry land appear, and the clouds formed from the steam it created. Then the life on Earth could begin. So it is that the rock is called Tunka-shila, "Grandfather Rock," for it is the oldest one. Because of that, the rocks must be respected. In the sweat lodge, when the water strikes the heated stones and that mist rises once again, it brings back the moment of creation as the people in the lodge sing to Tunka-shila, the Grandfather, the old one.
Attachments:
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer
Knight of Jediism

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Hadi Apollos, Alexandre Orion, Scion
Last Edit: 04 May 2012 17:32 by Reliah.

Re: Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock 04 May 2012 18:00 #59067

Beautiful story, Reliah !

Cheers for having posted that ...
*Pasteur du TotJO/
Pastor of the TotJO

*Chevalier Jedi / Jedi Knight
*Évêque/Bishop, Ordained Minister of the TotJO

- Maître enseignant de Proteus, Darren, Roz & Knight tzb
- Apprentice du Maître et Évêque Damion Storm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Coffee with Jesus (Last post by Gisteron)
    • Quote: Nero burned Rome in his madness, and Christians declared terrorists. The second part is correct. The first, however, is in severe doubt by modern historians and rejected by a good subset thereof for a number of reasons. I myself had a chance to review some of the original latin reports of the event. While the evidence on both sides was largely inconclusive, the accusations against a mad Nero along with defense of the political persecution victim Christian groups were generally more abrasive and coming mostly from pro-Christian spokespeople despite them being in a minority which would make us expect their honest statements to be less represented in the records. Juvenal and Statius were poets, and, more importantly, satirists. They were in the business of painting caricatures of events. Suetonius was born some five to six years after the event and could thusly only write what he was taught or what he made up, since he hardly had any evidence to review or politically neutral statement to hear. He also added that Nero announced that he would burn the city. I am still looking for a verification of this. Cassius Dio was born some one hundred years after the event and was convinced by that above mentioned argument from Suetonius. This leaves only Pliny the Elder as a remotely reliable source who despite not holding a political or military office at the time, waited ten years before publishing how certain he was of Nero's involvement while his contemporaries spoke their mind right away. No doubt the opportunity to badmouth and use as a scapegoat the already largle disliked minority Christian community, be that for religious or, more likely, political reasons, was quickly seen and ceased. Whether the accusations against them were legitimate remains an unanswered question for now. With the political pressure on what was a fringe messianic cult back in the day it remains however a more likely scenario and so does an accident appear more likely than Nero's involvement in the Great Fire of Rome in July, 64 CE.
    • My vision for a United Jedi Order (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: The fact that you have this temple's logo tattooed on you, on top of that, could put this organization at risk of making it look like what happens in those situations are condoned by Temple of the Jedi Order, where they obviously are not. Maybe I ask the wrong question, how can you be sure of risk? Could have a copyright of a symbol.. The point is that you can never be sure what will happen. Even save situations could turn out in other ways than expected what could put the temple at risk. But if you live risk to risk.. If that is what you want, I will not stop you. But ask yourself the question: Is loosing something a risk to be afraid for? Can you protect it after it happened? It's more a matter of public view of a thing. There's a reason the United States Air Force has a 185 page regulation on Dress and Appearance both in and out of uniform. (AFI 36-2903) We are the face of the Air Force. It is by the looks and actions of an individual that define what the public thinks of us. When you chose to wear a symbol, you are a representation of that symbol. You can become a shining image for that symbol (Air Force members saves drowning victim) or be its ruin (Airman arrested drunk driving). Although the Air Force has a VERY strict policy on drunk driving, lots of people will think that we are all drunkards based off of that one news report. Symbols are a large part of human understanding. We attach a lot of feelings to them. It's why flags, uniforms, unit patches, and company logos are so prominent. Once a symbol becomes attached to something, many times it gets stuck that way whether or not it was intended to represent that initially. Such as Doomeniek said, the swastika. Many people attach the Iron Cross (✠) as a symbol of the Nazis when it's a medal awarded in the US as well and shows up on many Coat of Arms. And how the cross (a nasty form of execution) became a symbol of hope and faith for Christians. Say IS (ISIS) starts running around with the TotJO logo on their flags. No matter how much we cry that we have had that symbol before IS used it, it will forever be a symbol of terrorism/freedom* (depending on the side you're viewing from) and will turn people off from becoming members for as long as we carry it. And if I go off the deep end one day, paint the TotJO logo on my chest and run around naked beating people with a broom painted like a lightsaber while screaming "I am the Super Grand Master of the Temple of the Jedi Order! BOW TO ME AND MY WISDOM!" and I manage to poke somebody's eye out and make national news...well it'll take a while (if we can) for TotJO to recover from in the eyes of the public. And with the internet, the video will always come up time and time again. *I know they want to establish a new Islamic caliphate across the Middle East, I was trying to keep it simple ;) If I try to make your post a bit simpler.. you try to say it is better to wear a symbol than to tattoo one? I will not take tattoo but pure for the question.. Or do you try to tell that it is better to wear nothing of symbolic kind?
    • Jediism, connect multiple communitys and orders. [... (Last post by Aqua)
    • Quote: There's your poll. It's above the first post. This will help to get a clean answer out of this. When more people have voted I can see what the options are for developing the idea. This will be most helpful, Thanks Br. John!
    • Tapatalk (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: I use "dark theme" because the darker you can keep a screen, the less battery used...:) Note: this is only true for OLED/AMOLED
    • Real Jedi vs Fictional Jedi (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: I do not care what thousands of people consider themselves to be. I do know what those who truly are jedi strive to be. Naturally.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: Quote: Day 2 of my training programme to 5 miles... ran 35 minutes today... managed about 2.5 miles so got some improvement to do. Didn't start finding it tough until about 22 minutes which is about 7 minutes better than last time. Best track of the workout was, by far, Loco by Coal Chamber. Nice that you also post your workout tunes with it :P I tend to have a nack for working out with that kind of style of music. I remember a rugby tournament from a while ago, Prodigy smack my bitch up came blasting tru the speakers at the right time. Well you can imagine the rest :P My gym plays music that sounds like it belongs in a night club so I have to do something to improve it (read.. drown it out :P)
    • the true jedi path (Last post by Doomeniek)
    • Quote: no but it is happening and we as brothers and sisters should try to see whats behind it all so we can stop it. Sorry had to quote this, if you read my journal you find out i kinda had the same experience when i was 17, i felt like i had to lift the whole world on my shoulders, and yes i feel you balis, but if you hold yourself responsible for the terror that is happening in the world you go crazy. O i have been on the brink of crazy then, but my parents tought me the ripple effect. Throw kindness and respect for life in the pond, maybe the ripples will get in touch with people around you and inspire them to also throw them im. And maybe just maybe it wil become a cycle. Ok on to reading the rest of this thread ..
    • How do you meditate? (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: Quote: That is a personal question I don't have to answer :angry: Lol... One of my favorite methods is to sit and sharpen my sword...watching the light reflect off the blade as I listen to the sound of the diamond stone sliding along the edge. Then listening to the sound made when I strum my thumb across the edge to check the sharpness...then feel the blade sliding past as I wipe the residue from it with a cloth.... If you like that, and doing it over the years.. the sword will get smaller from all those whetstones? I have lots of swords B)

There are 649 visitors, 5 guests and 30 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Zanthan Storm, Shadouness, Jestor, jedi_roz, ren, Nakis, Phortis Nespin, Wescli Wardest, Adhara, Red Lila, Proteus, Alan, E-3_4L_Teeter, Gallileo Oortael, helmstar, Buvan, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, tzb, Kaverael, Zenchi, jadedbehan, Mathew Erickson, Targeran Arynal, Aqua, Aldaraia, Doomeniek, pauljsjr.

Follow Us