Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock 04 May 2012 17:30 #59063

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
I have a book of stories and I wanted to share one - it's the shortest one in the book, so I hope it's okay.

The tile of the book is "Native American Stories told by Joseph Bruchac"
The title of the story, "Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock"

The Lakota (Sioux) people say that in the beginning everything was in the mind of Wakan-Tanka.

All things which were to be existed only as spirits. Those spirits moved about in space seeking a place to manifest themselves. They traveled until they reached the sun, but it was not a good place for creation to begin because it was too hot. Finally they came to Earth, which was without life and covered with the great waters. There was no dry land at all for life to begin upon. But then, out of the waters, a great burning rock rose up. It made the dry land appear, and the clouds formed from the steam it created. Then the life on Earth could begin. So it is that the rock is called Tunka-shila, "Grandfather Rock," for it is the oldest one. Because of that, the rocks must be respected. In the sweat lodge, when the water strikes the heated stones and that mist rises once again, it brings back the moment of creation as the people in the lodge sing to Tunka-shila, the Grandfather, the old one.
Attachments:
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Hadi Apollos, Alexandre Orion, Scion
Last Edit: 04 May 2012 17:32 by Reliah.

Re: Tunka-shila, Grandfather Rock 04 May 2012 18:00 #59067

Beautiful story, Reliah !

Cheers for having posted that ...
*Pasteur du TotJO/
Pastor of the TotJO

*Chevalier Jedi / Jedi Knight
*Évêque/Bishop, Ordained Minister of the TotJO

- Maître enseignant de Proteus, Darren & Roz
- Apprentice du Maître et Évêque Damion Storm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reliah
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • invitation to totjo (Last post by MJ Hannigan)
    • So who do I need to speak with to make a totjo episode happen? I need permission to make it happen and 3 members to commit to the episode. We can plan it for next Thursday or the Thursday after if need be. Show will be at 7pm eastern us time.
    • What are your opinions about euthanasia? (Last post by Luthien)
    • There are people who, because of not having the option for early termination, choose to end their own life by starving themselves to death. One can choose to stay off of medication to allow their body a natural death, though painful, regardless of what is advised by caretakers, yet one is not allowed to ask for a lethal, humane shot to end their life as peacefully and painlessly as possible. Honestly, I think it would be just fine to use the same technique used in a spinal block. It just seems more humane, especially if the patient is in pain and they'd be on life support for the remainder of their life. We humans behave as if we have dominion over the lives of other animals, but not our own. We somehow just can't handle ourselves? I would personally choose death over life support.
    • Saber Smithing - What's Colour would you have and ... (Last post by ChaosMerdy)
    • Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted here but I've stumbled across a bit of a hurdle while building my saber. I was actually wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to craft a removable blade for mine? I have a plastic tube that I've adjusted to the correct length for the blade, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching it in a way that is removable. I'd like to be able to alternate between commemorative/ceremonial display piece and actual useable blade. Thanks in advance!
    • Everything is Made of Energy Stuff (Last post by Gisteron)
    • So... if energy is conscious and aware (whatever the heck that means because with the ill, nay, sick non-definition of energy it could be literally anything and one might expect that consciousness and awareness are buzz words of the same nature), and we are an example of that, then wouldn't rocks be an example of energy being not conscious nor aware (unless the ill, nay sick non-definitions of conscious and aware are such as to allow for conscious and aware rocks, i suppose)? If we are arguing from examples, surely that must go both ways, and conversely, in order for it to only go one way the argument must be one that wouldn't rely on examples. To the second paragraph of Rickie's post #153098 (and only to it from this point on) I would comment that admitting you don't know is something one should do if one doesn't know. At the same time, when I know, let's say, that the earth resembles an ovoid in shape, I am perfectly comfortable saying I know this (and I can show that I do), and, and here comes the crucial bit, while I am open to change my mind as new evidence comes about, I am not just "open to the possibility" of flat-earth geology. My skepticism wouldn't have me stick to a belief despite and against reason but at the same time, it wouldn't let me accept any without reason either, much less when I have plenty of reason to accept an incompatible claim to the one suggested. Yes, I agree, on the quest of knowledge the blind reliance on one method is irrational. But of course if it happens to be the one and only most reliable method with no other ever showing any remotely comparable merit on any occasion, the reliance on that particular method, be it limited as it might, suddenly becomes very easy to justify. The assumption that we are capable to master all things is not rational and perhaps ultimately false, too, but we are fully aware of that when we employ it as a working assumption. If we assumed the contrary, we would constantly have to ask whether there is anything at all we can master and how would we go about telling masterable and unmasterable things from each other which would make the kind of progress that enables us to write without carving anything into stones and shipping them across the oceans over months rather than milliseconds, simply put, impossible. Most of us owe their lives and all of us owe their lifestyles to the working assumption that things are within our reach and that we will get them all if only we try hard enough. It is not humble to assume that we cannot, it is cowardly and lazy. We know that there is a lot we don't know and we even know about some of the things we don't know. But to not know everything doesn't mean to not know anything. And we are open to whatever the answers we find shall imply for what we previously had accepted as working assumptions. We aren't open to possibilities, we are open to advancement. Our minds aren't free due to our ignorance, they are trapped instead in the pits of ignorance struggling to climb outand succeeding, one inch at a time, day after day. We acknowledge our ignorance, but we don't accept it - we fight it. And wouldn't that be a sentiment to tie to or get out of the second line of the code? ;)
    • Live Service - Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC (Last post by MCSH)
    • I'll be conducting a live service on Saturday 26th July at 2000 UTC. The sermon part of this live service would be available as a normal sermon for everyone to read. To find out what this time would be on your timezone click here.
    • Cognitive Dissonance - Your Thoughts (Last post by Rickie The Grey)
    • Well it seems to me knowing yourself: likes, dislikes, desires and expectations would be helpfull? Then knowing your limits while working to expand them would keep dissonance to a minimum? I think it's all about: living, learning and becoming a better person. Don't get hung up on your flaws and keep on keeping on.
    • Words Mean Things. (Last post by Jestor)
    • Quote: In type, you should strive to be more clear, if anything, as there is not context of voice inflection, body language, etc. In type, it much more easy to misunderstand something, hence, to be as clear as possible and non subjective with your words will open more doors then close them. Of course... But if I think I'm clear, and as clear as I can be, and still not getting through, it can't be helped... And, an individual should realize that not everyone is going to understand what someone else is saying so further questioning should be done...:) Quote: It goes against the argument of subjectivity really. Such as this... Would you explain? This is just another point where people get separated... The "prickly" people, and the "goo" people.... :lol:....
    • Still Around (Last post by Brenna)
    • It was really nice to see you Scott. Its been a while :)
    • Another XKCD- Answers (Last post by Vusuki)
    • Not sure where to put this- so thought I'd just add it here. Just a bit of a fun poke at star wars www.xkcd.com/1397/ Don't turn it on.
    • Unacceptable Casualties of War (Last post by Deepseablue)
    • Quote: Czech Airlines were not flying from Seoul to Prague above Ukraine. Only above Russia. We have arrived safely in Prague. Good for you! I wouldn't have wanted to be anyone anywhere near Ukraine in the days after the "crash."
    • Well, I thought I would make a few suggestions... (Last post by Proteus)
    • The shoutbox was a 3rd party code which ren was managing when he was admin but took it down after the site's update due to some kind of compatibility or functional issues and never finished fixing it back up. Whatever its condition was when he left, I forgot, but I can check and see if there's anything we can do about it.

There are 291 visitors, 5 guests and 23 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Octagon, steamboat28, Jestor, Nakis, Connor L., Adder, Wescli Wardest, Learn_To_Know, Luthien, Alexandre Orion, MJ Hannigan, Rosalyn J, MCSH, Khaos, Arcade, Brenna, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, tzb, ChaosMerdy, Jamie Stick, Jer-Pen Dan, KalSterner, TambelSadera, Carrotunlimited.

Follow Us