Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • here's a thought. (Last post by Adder)
    • Exterminate all rational thought suffering. That is the conclusion I have come to. LOL, but with that attempt at humour in mind, the patient's concerns should be catered for by the professional service being offered. The staff should not take offence at gender preference of patients, as there is no way to identify or approach true quantification of a patients entire complex of suffering. But accepting then an inability to comprehend the extent and nature of someones suffering in this regard, you could still then ask what constitutes acceptable suffering for gender discrimination, and then further to what extent does that suffering need to be explained to serve as some justification. But IMO it should be the medical staff's 'job' to reduce patient suffering as much as practical/possible and this includes any nature of discomfort which is not required to achieve a successful medical procedure, IMO. I think its just part of the job description, and they should accept it or get a different job. So that example is not a good example I don't think for gender discrimination of that type being introduced in part by OP, also especially not the breast example specifically, as in western societies female breasts are usually considered private. Quite a few men only club's had to close up or allow women, but I notice there are women only gym's etc. I always thought it was only religious institutions that were allowed to bypass certain anti-discrimination law. So on reflection 'health' must have an angle in there also.... I do not mind a bit of positive discrimination so long as it's transparent and available to both genders to meet the same types of need.
    • Who's responsibility? (Last post by Tk768)
    • Not to step on any toes but for most people Social Security is not a charity. It was a savings account that earns interest, so that when one retired or can no longer work, they have some money to help support themselves. I hat SS being called a welfare or a charity, or a government handout. To use references like that is like saying money you've put into your private savings is welfare. Our government broke the law when they started dipping their hands into our SS accounts, and like a bunch of uneducated cowards we sat back and let them continue to do it.
    • Rape Culture (Last post by ChaosMerdy)
    • After having read some (though admittedly not all) comments on this thread, there is something I feel must be clarified. Now, when I say this, I want you all to know that I am by no means a blind follower of feminism or of any other socio-political movement, as I feel its important to be a free and critical thinker in all things. That being said, I caution my fellow Jedi here on the danger of falling down the slippery slope that states that all feminists are extremists intent on oppressing men. I completely agree with the OP that gender discrimination flows both ways and that it is dangerous to paint all men as oppressors and all women as victims. Men and women both get raped, assaulted and discriminated against based on their specific sex parts. Even so, however, it seems that the vast majority of human cultures on Earth, whether subtly or overtly, grant men more privilege than women in society. There are of course exceptions (traditional aboriginal cultures for one, among others) and there are many cases where women have official equality with men (such as under the laws of most western democratic nations). The problem is, we still however live in a society where rape is normalized. The example given of gamers using phrases such as "I got raped!" or "I raped you!" to describe defeat or victory in video games is a dangerous example of that. Society and the media find excuses for rape and downplay or demonize movements like feminism which oppose rape culture. I'm from Canada, and recently a prominent host from one of the CBC's radio shows, Jian Ghomeshi, was accused of raping a coworker. My first reaction was caution and a desire to see more evidence and a fair trial ensue since, whatever else he may have done, the man is still a Canadian citizen and deserves that much. I was very much shot down by several extremists for this opinion, so I get the concern that men's opinions are trivialized. Even so, however, more testimony has since come out, and its becoming clearer by the day that Ghomeshi is guilty. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that while there is truth to the fact that sexism happens to both women and men, rape culture is very much wrong and must be opposed. To do so, I feel Jedi and Feminists and every other decent member of Homo Sapiens Sapiens is going to need to make a conscious effort to change things. Education is the first step on this path. Anyway, just my two cents! May the Force be with you all! :)
    • Jedi Altar (Last post by Tk768)
    • Streen, why not build your own. Yellow box lightsabers has some good tutorials on how to build them out of plumbing parts, and The Custom Saber Shop sells modular parts to build your own. TCSS also has an app that allows you to virtually build a hilt, and gives you the cost before you buy. Then you will have truly followed the Jedi path.
    • Fear Leads to Anger... (Last post by Brenna)
    • Disclaimer: Expressed the views of Yoda only are hmmm, yeees. Not necessarily do they represent the views of council, no they do not. Guidelines only are the teaching and words of Yoda. Individual results may vary.
    • Conscription - Draft (Last post by Goken)
    • Quote: Quote: Senan, I agree with what you said except for one point. This thread is about forced service and to force someone to do something is to make it no longer a "right" or a "freedom" or a "choice." What makes you think you have a choice about anything? the language you use, going to school, having some kind of job, obeying the law, etc... ? I do have a choice. I could learn Spanish and speak nothing but that. I could skip school everyday and never go. I could chose not to go to work. I could break the law. People make those very choices every day. I would just have to live with the consequences of those choices. There are few people in my area that would understand me if I only spoke Spanish, I would be less intelligent and employable if I didn't go to school, I would get fired and become homeless if I didn't go to work, I would go to jail if I broke the law. I don't want those things to happen so I choose to speak the most common language of my area, to go to school, go to work, and obey the law. My point was simply that the topic of this thread is about forced military service and Senan's post was about doing it out of duty because people sacrificed and died for that right. My point was that forcing me to do it made it no longer a right. I was not saying that doing them out of a sense of duty is wrong, just that forcing me to do it out of someone else's sense of duty is. Edit: On a side note. I have nothing but respect for the military. I have considered joining them myself but I have a heart condition that makes me ineligible. I must do what I can for my country from home.
    • The Role of Logic (Last post by Goken)
    • I took one logic class in college and loved it. I agree that it's important but also that, as has been stated, it can lead to off topic nitpicking rather than actually discussing the topic at hand. I've seen lots of times when highly intelligent people were wrong and used logic to attack the argument of someone who wasn't as intelligent just to confuse and belittle them. I have seen it used as kind of a smart person's bullying tactic. Logic is one more thing that must be used correctly and carefully to actually be a tool for the betterment of the world.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Exarchias)
    • 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps 20 x 3 push ups 20 x 3 air squats 15 x 3 x (2 hands) 3 kg biceps And Meditation. 13# day without coffee.
    • What do you worship? (Last post by Streen)
    • Oh my. Well first of all, I stopped asking God why bad things happen when I realized that WE are the ones who allow bad things to happen. One might counter that with a message about natural disasters. We don't cause those, after all. I would re-counter that by saying, life involves suffering and death. That is a simple, inherent factor of being alive on this planet. I believe the right question to ask is, Why would an omnipresent and omnipotent God send a soul to hell? The description conflicts with the concept. God is a part of all of us, and we are a part of Him/Her/It. So why would God hurt himself? THAT is the question that preachers can't answer. At least, I have yet to hear an answer. If there's one thing preachers of this kind are good at, it's separating the human race from God. Always there is talk of what we owe God, what we take from God, how we deserve nothing kinder than death for the things we do. God created all things. What are all things made of? God. We Are That We Are. EDIT: I forgot to make the point that the word God is somewhat interchangeable with the word Force.

There are 400 visitors, 5 guests and 24 members online (one in chat): Akkarin, steamboat28, Angelus, Jestor, Jedi_Roz, Adder, Wescli Wardest, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Alan, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, babyblueyes247, Zenchi, ChaosMerdy, blindbat84, Cabur Senaar, Exarchias, Rocda, RaB, almosteasy69, Tk768, MrBruno.

Follow Us