Do you believe in déjà vu?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 19:56 #58578

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
I was wondering what people think about déjà vu.

It's something that I personally haven't experienced more than a few times. But on the odd occasion that I've felt it it's really freaked me out!

I was thinking about how déjà vu could possibly be explained through the concept of 'the eternal present' or 'the eternal now' as discussed in the Initiate's Programme, probably by Joseph Campbell and possibly also by Alan Watts, if I remember correctly. As in, do past and future really exist or is everything happening all at the same time?

So...

Have you had any strong or frequent déjà vu experiences?
So do you believe in déjà vu? Why/why not?
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?

Or feel free to ramble and ignore my questions, they're just pointers really. I'm just interested to know what people think!

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:07 #58581

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
Yes, I have.

Of course I do! Because I have experienced it before. :)

If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?
I'm not sure I've ever thought about it on a personal level before. I've heard others ideas about it, though. One is similar to yours - but that we were allowed to see our lives before we lived it as a form of comfort of sorts.
Another is past lives and all that.
As for me, I truly have no idea..
Informative, huh?
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer
Knight of Jediism

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:13 #58583

• Akkarin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
I think I've seen this topic before... :woohoo:

I've had deja vu, and currently the best explanation for it is actually that it's caused by an error in your memory

While you're 'seeing' the event, for whatever reason, this is also processed in your short term memory as well. This gives the impression that you are seeing and remembering it simultaneously

That's why you think you can remember the same experience :)

Apprentices: discorder, hellisforhorses, Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knarf, Reliah

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:44 #58597

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
I've only experienced it a couple of times. They felt like connecting through time or some parallel dimension!!! The most confusing ones I've had are when it links up to something that happened in a dream, as they feel like the dream was some sort of premonition. I dont have an opinion on what they are yet because I havent had them enough... literally about 3 times in my whole life.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:56 #58599

First, V, I have to say this is an extremely intriguing topic! Since I was young, I've had deja vu at least 4 to 5 times a month. Towards the age of 16 and 17, it started to grow stronger for a reason I didn't know, but it's not something I would have asked a doctor about. It came to a point where the deja vu moments were lasting longer, becoming remembered faster (so that I KNEW what was going to happen before it did), and all the more "insane." For example, I had an instance where I immediately regained that memory of talking to a specific friend right as it happened. I spoke every word of his sentence with him at the same time he did. It frightened him, but I enjoyed it. After deja vu, I usually recall the night I had the dream and waking up/completely forgetting it until the moment it lined up.

Usually Strong, and always pretty frequent!
I do more than I used to because of the coincidence and strength of certain times.
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?\
Honestly, It's hard to say not only where it comes from, but what the point of it really is. When it all comes down to it, none of my deja vu moments prove any sort of real significance other than exciting serendipity and such.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:23 #58604

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I've certainly experienced it.
Founder of The Order

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:48 #58607

Absolutely...sometimes it is a comfort, other times rather disturbing.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:31 #58622

I have experienced it several times. Depending on the feelings I have at the time, I find that if the feeling is bad, I alter my course of action. If the feeling is good, I let the scenareo play out. I also feel like "tunnel vision" when it happens. A very focused point in time and with acute awareness.

Yes V-Tog, it freaks me out too.
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentice:Mathew Erickson

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:50 #58625

• Darren
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 8542
I experience it quite often. I'm sure it can be explained, I just like to call it a glitch in the Matrix. :D
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin
Jedi Apprentice
Licensed Minister of the Force
Masters: Alexandre Orion and Wescli Wardest
Former Master: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 02:04 #58629

• ren
  • ID: 4418
I've experienced it. The problem with it is that there never is a proper memory of the "first" experience. I'll go with Akkarin's explanation and assume two different inodes pointing to the same file.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • An Answer for Unification- please read I know it's... (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • *dizzy eyes* That topic has come up so many times, and so many times the community has tried different ways of doing it. The problem with the way we've tried to get unification in the past is that everyone wanted it (everyone under one banner of some sort) but no one could agree on how it should be done. Some felt that because of the way things were going, they would no longer be considered Jedi- so they decided to not go along with the plan. Similar to the Jedi Compass document, Opie was the first one to attempt creating a piece (the Jedi Circle) that gave a good idea of what the Jedi taught and were about. He took the document from order to order and asked if people agreed with it. There were three problems with the document: One, it changed a few times (actually it's newest version got rid of one of the issues (Five Misconceptions) people had with the document and replaced it with the Five Goals, I'm rather fond of the newer version :) ), and two many just didn't want to read it because they had a bad taste in their mouth of Opie, three was that the document was so watered down, it wasn't particularly "Jedi"- instead it was "EVERYTHING". As though Opie wanted to design a document that told what everything in common with every religion on the planet, rather than what made people Jedi as opposed to just plain Christian or Buddhist. Before Jedi Compass, the various ways we tried to unite each other was to get standards across the board so that when a Knight from ToTJO walked into RJK or a Knight from IJRS walked into ToTJF was through standardizing some of the things we taught. The most recent method was my initiative circa 2012, where we attempted to see if we couldn't make it more like an academy type setting. This is the base for what a Jedi Knight should know, and when you go to another order you don't have to retake those classes. You'd just need to go through the courses that are not included at the order you were knighted at, take the trials and then go from there to knighthood. We just couldn't agree on what those standards were. Perhaps the most heated came about with physical requirements. Half the community wanted people to be capable of martial arts, the other half didn't see it as all that important (actually, that's why it's Defense Art and Physical Art rather than combining the two and saying "Martial Art", Martial Art fulfills both, but what some of us agreed that being a Lawyer was a method for a Jedi to defend others just as well as someone defending them on the street- use your talents, that's how we live the Hero's Journey to our fullest- not by dictating that one must do it by physically being able to defend people...at the end of the day, how often do many of us actually find ourselves in a hand-to-hand fight for our safety? Or someone elses? Really? Even as a deployed soldier, I NEVER had to use my judo- or my weapon beyond show of presence...kinda says something about the average person, no?). So then there was a group that tried to organize projects (Unified Jedi or something like that) across various orders. RJK, FA and Tenebrae Surgunt were a part of that. We were wanting to test it before we went forward with it. That was a good few months but the problem we had was whether or not to include other Force Realists in the group (at the time, the term had not been created, I think I did Force Realists Magazine about a year after this initiative). And then before we could make any real headway with it, the founder of the group came in after he "died" and announced that he was surprised it was still going, he had in fact actually started the group to troll us. So he shut down the site, and it just fell to the wayside in the midst of another civil war at RJK (RJK's got a long history- I'm not going into it, lol). I -believe- that was the closest any of us had actually gotten to getting something working. All the other initiatives fell to the wayside because people either forgot about it, or didn't put in the effort they said they were willing to put in. So then there was an online magazine that ended up with two issues. When I couldn't figure out how to get that one up and running again, I started my own, but it ended up being a three man show: Talon (not the same one at Jedi Church for those of you that know that one, this one dates to IJRS and RJK and is now at JAO with Opie), myself and JediKaren from ToTJF. On occasion I was able to pull in people to write articles from various areas- even got my mom to write a piece for it :D. But it became too hard to keep up with so few people willing to submit anything for it despite my efforts to get people on board with it at every order I advertised. :( Had a few other initiatives like that in recent history, but they didn't work out (actually I think Connor tried this too after me). Then there is Knights of Awakening, which is still barely surviving mostly because of Charles and Derek pulling their shows, and on occasion I'm able to post something. From this idea, came Hannigan's Jedi Realist Radio, which he is also trying to use to help the community build better communications with the world by opening a door for us to all communicate on. The Jedi Gatherings have been going on for years, that is also an initiative to help bring unity in the community through better fellowship and communication. Then...Then there was Church of Jediism under Daniel Jones JUST after the insanity with the hood. Single-handedly, CoJ managed to get all us angry enough that it started to finally be seen that maybe we all did have something in common. Back then I organized a group to talk with Jones in chat about what happened and see if we couldn't get to better understand what was up with that group. Had a couple from ToTJO there too. :) At that point, some of the initiatives started leaning more towards just open communication between the orders and building better relationships while letting orders hold their own identities. I made the attempt to get a book together a few years ago too- I remember Br. John making a post in that thread saying "Hey, let's support this initiative!"- and it ultimately fell to the wayside, not because of the community, but because of me. Back then, the book wasn't organized. It was just a "hey give me some of your best works and let's smash it altogether!". That was part of the project I had going to help build a legitimacy in the Chaplain Corps so that someone could go to a chaplain and ask for them to sponsor a Jedi Chapter at the base if they were able to find enough people to pull one off (have the same rights as Pagans do), it also would help prevent abuse of the system by someone just claiming to be Jedi. So now, here we are- at my second attempt to see this book idea go forward. But this time I'm not going to make the same mistake. I'm going to see this one all the way through until I've exhausted my resources.
    • Can mindfulness change the way you eat (Last post by Brenna)
    • Quote: I am vegetarian my whole live, guess I have always eaten mindfully so I think it is a part of who I am. Healthy means for me no alcohol, no smokes and no fast food.. The best diet is the diet that you persevere! When you say mindfully, do you mean in regards to the ethical considerations of eating vegetarian, or do you mean the "in the moment" experience of paying attention to the food itself? Its taste, texture, the interaction of the food and your teeth/tongue, differing flavors as you chew etc...
    • campaign together? (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Quote: Quote: lightsabers Seriously? To be fair, Chicago Jedi puts on skits for different charities in the area to help them raise funds....It's about the only reason I'll get behind the use of Lightsabers, and as anyone that knows my views on the subject of them- I abhore the very idea of them....
    • My vision for a United Jedi Order (Last post by Alethea Thompson)
    • Quote: and howd that work out for them? When a hypothetical situation pops up thats based on rules...like operating procedures then there is a right answer and a wrong answer..Your military question has a very specific answer to it out lined by basic training and manuals.. Obviously, you do not know how to read between the lines, which explains why you do not believe people can judge your character off of how you respond to a hypothetical. So I'll ask again, review the answers and tell me: Which was the veteran's answer Which was the new member to the coast guard's answer and Which one was the answer the board wanted Quote: What would you do to stop the war in Gaza has no right or wrong answer to it..Not too mention how many variables were in the question and the fact that when I said ok if my answer is so wrong someone please give the correct answer or any thing that they would do the only answer I got was a smart ass "Well I guess we should just nuke the entire place and wipe out all the people" It just gets kind of tiresome when I say something and all someone has to say is negative remarks..Ok I get the fact that not everyone thinks its ok to grab mass murders and execute them to prove a point to the others that would do the same thing.. Its pretty much like a conversation of what works better time out or spankings.. Im saying spankings and others are saying time out..I grew up with spankings and knew not to do something if I didnt want my butt torn up.. I see where things could turn dark but people in power dont give up power willingly not without a fight..So how exactly are we suppose to be peaceful about it? How about this strategy? IF I am given all the power of a large country (US, Britain, Russia, etc) what would I do about ISIS? Humanitarian Aide, and assistance to those that want to seek refuge the assistance they need (if it were the US, I'd use the Peace Corps for this). In this plan, I would seek to use resources such as mercenary groups in good standing (meaning not those which have crazy reputations like BlackWater does, there are some good ones around) and employ them to be body guards of refugee groups as they move through hostile territory and into safe havens- while ensuring they were monitored closely (why mercs rather than my military? Because the military is used for my country's safety, and it would be a political nightmare to commit them to someone else's war. Then, in the UN, I would do everything I possibly could to pressure people into not supplying ISIS with anything, try to find out who is supplying them and suffocate them. Obviously this is something that doesn't work too terribly well, but it's a step in the right political direction to try and get other countries involved. All the while, leaving room open for the various terrorists cells to eat away at one another in the region. I would increase homeland security through more regulation of training. IF we're talking about my being in control of the US, I would downsize the ACTIVE military (save the Coast Guard, I'll get to that in a moment), increase the Coast Guard's numbers by double (maybe triple, it's pretty small...:/), give the Coast Guard jurisdiction over border patrol, revoke civilian border patrol (save the civilian volunteers, which will need to be regulated more under the Department of Homeland Security through training), take the difference between the old Active service numbers to the current numbers and increase the RESERVE (not to be confused with the National Guard) military by that number (and regulate mandated certifications that are taken in person, not online). On the surface, that last paragraph doesn't seem to have anything to do with ISIS, right? Except that it gives us the available people we need if another war kicks off, and it helps signal to terrorists that we have no intention to go into their territory militarily. All the while, freeing up debt, which may later be needed in order to fuel a future war if it becomes inevitable. On the home front, we still have issues with unemployment, that will need to be considered after all of this has been taken care of to ensure we have the maximum safety my country can guarantee its citizens. And that (with the exception of my military strategy) I came up with all in the time I wrote this post. Haven't considered what actions I might take if I were given the power to do anything in regards to it as a major leader of a country. But there- that's the plan that I think is far more likely to work over yours. Would it work? I don't know until I try. But I do know that your's has been tried, and it's what pretty much made ISIS what it is today. I'd rather not see someone worse rise to power, which is all your plan would do.
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: I twisted my ankle trail running yesterday, so nothing for me today. Still felt guilty. Can't feel guilty for an injury... perhaps unless you use it as an excuse for 12 months... (no that's not my knee I'm feeling guilty about!) :P
    • Article: How to Increase your Willpower (Last post by Connor L.)
    • The only problem I see for dieters is that willpower has to be: "How can I view food in healthy portions and having deliciousness as a paradigm." If a food addicted individual learns to view food as delicious fuel (both have to be developed separately), then will power will work. Until then. Most of us view it as an excuse. No amount of telling us that certain foods are "bad" will fix it because ALL food is good in some quantity. (Varying degrees of good, of course). I mean... just ask Jestor how his blood sugar is after eating all those cookies! If he limits himself to one every other day, then I bet it's fantastic, and delicious. ;)
    • Astrology and Horroscopes (Last post by Akkarin)
    • I am someone who tends to stick with the pervading scientific opinion on matters. The scientific opinion on Astrology and Horoscopes are that they are absolutely unscientific nonsense. They work by being vague enough that circumstances will always meet them when you interpret the situation loosely. Consider that if astrology and horoscopes really did work surely someone would have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Afterall these practices have been around for an incredibly long time, and they are performed by many many people. Surely one of those people would have proven that they work in a scientifically controlled environment. If they have not been proven to make accurate and reliable predictions then the only conclusion one can draw is that they do not produce accurate or reliable predictions. They leave enough ambiguity in their predictions to seem as though they work most of the time while relying on people's confirmation bias to seem as though they are more accurate than they really are. "Confirmation bias" is the tendency for people to remember only the things that meet their expectations while forgetting or underestimating the amount of times something does not meet their expectations. Don't forget also that every prediction that's ambiguous enough can be shown to be right metaphorically or when interpreted to a great enough extent.
    • Discussion 0 - Introduction to the Monomyth (Last post by elizabeth)
    • Re-read Campbell's four functions of mythology. Now think about a myth which is important to you (feel free to use Star Wars, another example I gave, or any other beloved myth). Does it satisfy the four functions? How so? I decided to use the Bible as my myth. I think it satisfies the four functions of mythology, if I'm understanding them correctly. The story of the creation awakens a sense of awe, the idea of other plains of existence, heaven/hell/spiritual beings, angels/demons. It gives an explanation for the universe, why we are here, why it exists, how it is all connected through gods spirit/energy/force.. it gives advice and lessons for all stages of life, even if you don't believe the lessons are valid. Don't really get the Sociological function, sorry. Homer wrote the Odyssey around 700BC. George Lucas wrote Star Wars in the 1970s, over 2500 years later. Both were successful in creating enduring, beloved myths. Why do you think both followed the same structure? What does this tell you about the writers? How about the audience? I have never read the Odyssey. But I think all myths follow a similar structure, it's a journey of life, so it speaks to everyone, anyone can relate to trials and upheaval within their own life, failures and overcoming things, changing sometimes completely and becoming more than they think they can. I think the writers wanted to show people through a grand scale that no matter who you are, anything is possible, and you can become what you wish. Read this article on the collective unconscious. How do you feel about it? Does the collective unconscious seem like a realistic idea to you? How does it relate to a belief in the Force? I think the idea of a collective unconscious can be seen with so many myths having a similar theme, in times when there was no possible interaction. I think it's possible, I'm not too sure it relates to the force as I see it, but if I believe that the energy holds all that is then it's possible. The Hero's Journey tells the tale of a single person undergoing challenges and becoming something greater than they were for the benefit of that which they believe in. How does this relate to the Temple of the Jedi Order, and your personal path as a Jedi? I think we all face challenges throughout our journey here at the Temple, we change sometimes without realising it and without seeing it in ourselves. I don't think we become greater, I think we change and for myself my understanding of being connected to all through the force has deepened, my actions are more in line with the love I feel for others, I learn everyday, through my failures and success. We are all on our own journey and being here, helps me to be who I wish to be.
    • American Jedi (Last post by Arcade)
    • Quote: LOL wow I love when knights and ranked members of communities take shots at me but complain when i do it to them. I hope you enjoy the video and if you want to speak your mind about me one way or the other we can set that up on my radio show whenever you like. My poke at you was intended in good humor. :)
    • This Week In Science (Last post by Khaos)
    • Physicists Achieve Quantum Teleportation of Photon Over 25 Kilometers For the first time, a team of physicists have successfully teleported a quantum state of a photon to a crystal over 25 kilometers away through a fiber optic cable. This effectively showed that the photon’s quantum state, not its composition, is important to the teleportation process. The team was led by Nicolas Gisin of the University of Geneva and the results were published in the journal Nature Photonics. With this new paper, Gisin’s team has successfully squashed the previous record they set a decade ago by teleporting a quantum state of a proton 6 kilometers. The quantum state of the photon is able to preserve information under extreme conditions, including the difference between traveling as light or becoming stored in the crystal like matter. The photon’s state acts as information that can be teleported along great distances using the optical fiber, and can be stored within the crystal. This was achieved due to a phenomenon in quantum mechanics known as entanglement, where two particles have a correlation, despite the fact that they aren’t touching and transmitting information to one another. To test this and ensure what they were observing was actually happening, one photon was stored in a crystal while the other was sent along optical fiber, over a distance of 25 kilometers. The photon that was sent along the optical fiber collides with a third photon, which was assumed to destroy them both. However, the information from the first photon was transferred to the third photon in the collision, like the transfer of energy when one billiard ball hits another. The information from the third photon came back to the crystal where it could be measured to ensure the information was preserved between the first and the second. The photon did not physically “teleport” as we are used to hearing about in science fiction, where someone’s body can moved from place to place in a matter of seconds. Instead, the information contained on the now-distant photon can be inferred based on what is seen with the information in the photon in the crystal. By knowing one, you already know the other. However, what the information actually is can't be known until it is examined. Félix Bussières of Gisin’s team explained in a press release that it appears "that the quantum state of the two elements of light, these two entangled photons which are like two Siamese twins, is a channel that empowers the teleportation from light into matter.” Regardless if the information was in crystal or light, there wasn’t a change to the information itself. This could very well mean that the quantum state, not physical state, rules in quantum physics. Quantum entanglement is the basis for theoretical quantum computing and quantum communication, though it will be a very long time before these results will have real-world implications. The achievements of Gisin's lab could also improve how quantum entanglement interactions are measured. www.iflscience.com/physics/physicists-ac...n-over-25-kilometers
    • Bare bones definition of Jediism and what a Jedi i... (Last post by Tarran)
    • I really hope I don't offend anyone here... I mean, here I am, merely a "guest" (still waiting to hear back from my application), though I do feel that I am not quite UNknowledgeable on this... and I realize this is just my opinion, so if I spout some facts (say, about George Lucas, for hypothetical example), it's only in stating what I am basing my opinion on. Now... oh, where to begin? LOL Okay, first I should get the obvious out of the way... there are those who are fans of Lucas' works, and enjoy cosplaying (and hey, who wouldn't sometimes, yeah?), and maybe exert a bit of a tug on things in the mythos in trying to bring them into their day-to-day realities... ...and there are those who know full well the realities of life, and are not seeking to assimilate themselves to any literary or cinematic phenomenon, but who are actively seeking to rise up and hone themselves as beings of virtue and light in their very real life. Now, while the home page of our temple here plainly states things such as, "We are not a community of Star Wars roleplayers", and "The Jedi at this site are not the same as those portrayed within the Star Wars franchise", and clearly makes the discerning distinction that, "Star Wars Jedi are fictional characters that exist within a literary and cinematic universe", it is still wildly plain and obvious to anyone that we *do* get inspiration from the Star Wars mythos. Why do we, though? Let's examine this closely, and look at just one more thing mentioned on the same aforementioned page; "Jediism does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth." That's... the real life issues and philosophies (in the Real World) that are at the source of (the Star Wars) myth(os). In other words, all of the schools of thought... Knightly Virtues from the Chivalric Orders of Medieval Europe, the Noble Eightfold Path of Buddhism, the Ten Commandments of Judeo-Christianity, including elements of the Kanagara of Shintoism in Japan and the Shen/Qi/Jing and Qigong conepts in China, and more... all that was drawn from in Real Life Earth and reflected in Star Wars' retelling of these ancient themes. In the wonderfully fulfilling and challenging curriculum here (truly, I'm frothing over with appreciation! I'm quite impressed with it, and thank you all so very much!), in Lesson One, on Myth (I've *really* gotta get crackin' on finishing it - I'm so red-faced about it lol), there is a wonderful little bonus audio piece with George Lucas being interviewed by Bill Moyers... you all know the one, remember? In it he mentions how he was basically trying to retell the same myths of old, in a new and different way... that he saw all religions as "different ways of seeing the same elephant" (a reference to an old story in itself, familiar to many of us here, I'm fairly certain lol). He mentioned how the story theme he pieced together was to reflect all these things in order to cause us all to think about the higher mysteries of life. This is why it inspires us, because it inspires ALL of us - it speaks of universal truths we've all known in our souls. So, for many of us, who have searched for our path, who have come across such things as the eight-fold path, the Knightly virtues, and other such things as mentioned above, we're familiar with all these things as we apply them to our lives - and how often are we asked, "what religion are you", or perhaps merely, "are you religious", or "do you believe in God", or "what *philosophy* do you follow", or "what ways do you embrace"... or *HOWEVER* it is asked of us... how often do many of us find ourselves tongue-tied with the potential enormity of what we'd want for our *precise* answer? Because yes, we do not want to misrepresent ourselves, as far as where our faith's center would be. "Oh, well, see - I sort of follow some parts of Christianity, but I also lean a bit towards Zen... but I'm not without my deep interests in Rosicrucianism", etc. - it seems a lot easier for me, personally (and I suspect for others as well), to truthfully cover all that ground with, "I'm a follower of Jediism" - which is quite an efficient bridge joining those together of any one, or combination of faiths and philosophies. In fact, perhaps rather Jediism seems to me to be the quintessential "faith extention" - that is to say, I can be a person of the Jewish faith, and be a Jedi - I can be Houdenoshouni and be a Jedi - I can be a follower of Islam, and be a Jedi... Hell, I could even be a Jehovah's Witness and be a Jedi, and there would be utterly *no* conflict, contradiction or even the least bit of abrasiveness against my core faith. If I might utilize a non-religious group for illustration, it's totally like acheiving the third level mastery in Freemasonry, and then capping it off with the Royal Arch degree. It *complements* the core. It's frakkin' beautiful! So for me, this is my opinion on the bare-bones definition of Jediism, as a non-fictional, Real World Earth, functional religious philosophy - because it seems to stem from the truths that all faiths share. Like the home page says, "Jediism does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth". But now on "what a Jedi is"... (in my opinion lol) Now, with all that I mentioned above, would that alone make a person a Jedi? Well, it might make one a monk, if it was purely a spiritual philosohpy that defined one. But a Jedi? A Jedi (at least knights, as opposed to clerics... though clerics, as far as my very limited knowledge of them goes, aren't disallowed) also follows the Way of the Sword. Or, to expand upon this, to those who find swords just a bit too death-dealing a tool for the laws of their personal faiths, yet still believe in self defense, the Way of the Staff. To those differently-abled, whos physical restrictions might not allow this, then the Sword of Mind, Intellect, and Diplomacy. But physical fitness, dexterity, agility, and defensive prowess, to whatever degree able, is also a factor. Do we have a Jedi yet? Well, we might have a warrior monk, or a priestly knight... but a Jedi? What sets the Jedi apart from any other? Think of the Shaolin monk, or the knight alchemist... It is THE FORCE. A Jedi is NOT a Jedi (I'm sure you'd all agree) without the Force. Is the Force also something drawn from Real World Earth cultures? Yes, yes it is... and not just from of old... people to this very day (and quite a lot, here in Asia) use it and work with it in their everyday lives. People elsewhere in the world as well. The alchemists call it "protomatter", or the "quintessence", or the "First Matter"... practitioners of Yoga, Ayurvedic medicine, Tibetan martial arts, they call it "Prana" ("Life Force")... in China, the practice of Qigong focuses shen, qi and jing... jing being the bioelecrtomagnetic essence of the Force. These are all physically observable phenomenae - and one need not spend twenty years in a Shaolin temple in order to familiarize yourself with it, nor even to detect it, accumulate it and even manipulate and focus it. Seriously. People who practice Reiki healing *use the Force* in order to do so - and they have to be able to sense and feel the force between themselves and their patients, and use the flow to balance the imbalances and heal the person in pain. Now, here is where I fear I may be taken wrongly and some of you may get offended - please know that I am not intending to, and, while I'll not sit here and tell you how to feel, I will offer that you need not feel ofended if you'd rather not be. Please do hear me out, my siblings in spirit, and try to see what I mean... I've heard it said that a Jedi "believes in the Force"... but in truth, I could name off a bunch of people who believe that the Force exists, and they themselves will admit that they are not Jedi, and have no interest in following it. So it would seem, that belief in the Force alone dose NOT a Jedi make... in fact, the Reiki practitioner would be more of a Jedi - HE'S *USING* THE FORCE ;) lol Now see? Here is where I mean - those of you out there who believe in the Force, and do follow Jediism in your heart, might see this as my telling you that you are not Jedi - no... rather, I lovingly challenge you, my Good Brothers and Sisters, to take that next step; *USE* the Force. Yes, I do know and understand a lot of you actually, factually do. So obviously, I do not direct this to you. So again, allow me to stress this point - I do realize that there are those of you out there to whom I am telling no new thing - what I say from here will not be news to you, so please do forgive it, my good friends... But to those others who might do themselves better by looking into the reality of Akasa, Qi/Jing, Prana, the Protomatter, the Bioelectromagnetic Field, the Etheric Substance, and get to really know and understand the reality of it, I say work with it - use it - feel its flow and be alive with it. I've tought others how to see, accumulate and manipulate this phenomena - and I myself am about as sharp as a bag of wet mice! I am NO "special" person... I am of modest birth, inexpensive education, and no more endowned with spirit or power than the very next Human Being - I am ordinary. Oh, and I'm klutzy as heck, and I'm goofy to look at, too! LOL But I use the Force - just as anyone else is truly able to do. So yes... belief is well and good - but I submit that you can attain factual proof-based faith in it. So I say, a Jedi of This Real Earth - is also one who stuidies and applies the education that can be attained through learning things like Qigong, Reiki, Ayurvedism, Alchemy, and so on... and then *incorporate* the Force in your lives. If I had to choose a book that could help with understanding the Force through the eyes of Asian martial arts, I would say "T'ai Chi Classics (Shambhala Classics)" by Waysun Liao - isbn# (older 10-digit; 1570627495, more recent 13-digit; 978-1570627491) If I had to choose a book that could help with understanding the Force through the eyes of an Alchemist, I would say "Invisibility: Mastering the Art of Vanishing" by Steve Richards - isbn# (older 10-digit; 1578635535, more recent 13-digit; 978-1578635535) If I were to be more kind, I would say that the latter will help you see the Force with your very own eyes, and to accumulate and form it... and the former will show you how to use it in defense - and in other interestng ways. What I like the best about the former, T'ai Chi Classics, is how simply it explains how there is a very important difference between Chi ("Qi") and Jing - often, we might hear about a martial arts tournament where one opponent makes a certain swishing move, and stops short of touching the other, but then that other opponent seems flung wildly out of the ring... people say the firts one used his Chi - this is not so. He in fact used his Jing. The difference? Remember in school for a science experiment, the teacher may have taken a bar magnet and held it underneath a piece of paper covered with iron filings? And you might then have seen that the particles of iron had, seemingly by magic, all arranged themselves along the lei lines and meridians of the magnetic field? THAT is like unto Chi... if you notice, there is nothing moving there - it's all aligned rather nicely, and it all moved into place, but hten there it stayed. Chi is a template, a direction of flow... it is Jing that is the energy which flows along this course... and it is Jing ("the Force"/"the Essence) wich is what one cultivates, accumulates, takes in and sends forth... I promise you, dear reader, from here on, with a little more get-up-and-go in you, your educating yourself in the ways of the Force can prove to be quite illuminating. It's all out there... it has been for untold thousands of years... Use the Force, my friends - and may the Force be with you.

There are 625 visitors, 11 guests and 25 members online (one is in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, Alethea Thompson, Firewolf, Jestor, jedi_roz, Lightstrider, Brian, Desolous, Proteus, Rickie The Grey, Arcade, Talariq, Brenna, Andre, Buvan, Llama Su, Kamizu, Kohadre, aworldwithoutdanger, Venator Mortis, jadedbehan, Mathew Erickson, Cabur Senaar, TambelSadera, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Aqua, Yodi, Quae-Do Lumen, Sabel, Tarran, Thallor, Sonura, Oneiros.

Follow Us