Do you believe in déjà vu?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 19:56 #58578

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
I was wondering what people think about déjà vu.

It's something that I personally haven't experienced more than a few times. But on the odd occasion that I've felt it it's really freaked me out!

I was thinking about how déjà vu could possibly be explained through the concept of 'the eternal present' or 'the eternal now' as discussed in the Initiate's Programme, probably by Joseph Campbell and possibly also by Alan Watts, if I remember correctly. As in, do past and future really exist or is everything happening all at the same time?

So...

Have you had any strong or frequent déjà vu experiences?
So do you believe in déjà vu? Why/why not?
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?

Or feel free to ramble and ignore my questions, they're just pointers really. I'm just interested to know what people think!

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:07 #58581

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
Yes, I have.

Of course I do! Because I have experienced it before. :)

If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?
I'm not sure I've ever thought about it on a personal level before. I've heard others ideas about it, though. One is similar to yours - but that we were allowed to see our lives before we lived it as a form of comfort of sorts.
Another is past lives and all that.
As for me, I truly have no idea..
Informative, huh?
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:13 #58583

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
I think I've seen this topic before... :woohoo:

I've had deja vu, and currently the best explanation for it is actually that it's caused by an error in your memory

While you're 'seeing' the event, for whatever reason, this is also processed in your short term memory as well. This gives the impression that you are seeing and remembering it simultaneously

That's why you think you can remember the same experience :)

Apprentices: Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knarf, Reliah

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:44 #58597

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
I've only experienced it a couple of times. They felt like connecting through time or some parallel dimension!!! The most confusing ones I've had are when it links up to something that happened in a dream, as they feel like the dream was some sort of premonition. I dont have an opinion on what they are yet because I havent had them enough... literally about 3 times in my whole life.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:56 #58599

First, V, I have to say this is an extremely intriguing topic! Since I was young, I've had deja vu at least 4 to 5 times a month. Towards the age of 16 and 17, it started to grow stronger for a reason I didn't know, but it's not something I would have asked a doctor about. It came to a point where the deja vu moments were lasting longer, becoming remembered faster (so that I KNEW what was going to happen before it did), and all the more "insane." For example, I had an instance where I immediately regained that memory of talking to a specific friend right as it happened. I spoke every word of his sentence with him at the same time he did. It frightened him, but I enjoyed it. After deja vu, I usually recall the night I had the dream and waking up/completely forgetting it until the moment it lined up.

Usually Strong, and always pretty frequent!
I do more than I used to because of the coincidence and strength of certain times.
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?\
Honestly, It's hard to say not only where it comes from, but what the point of it really is. When it all comes down to it, none of my deja vu moments prove any sort of real significance other than exciting serendipity and such.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:23 #58604

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I've certainly experienced it.
Founder of The Order

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:48 #58607

Absolutely...sometimes it is a comfort, other times rather disturbing.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:31 #58622

I have experienced it several times. Depending on the feelings I have at the time, I find that if the feeling is bad, I alter my course of action. If the feeling is good, I let the scenareo play out. I also feel like "tunnel vision" when it happens. A very focused point in time and with acute awareness.

Yes V-Tog, it freaks me out too.
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Arcade

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:50 #58625

• Darren
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 8542
I experience it quite often. I'm sure it can be explained, I just like to call it a glitch in the Matrix. :D
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin
Jedi Apprentice
Licensed Minister of the Force
Masters: Alexandre Orion and Wescli Wardest
Former Master: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 02:04 #58629

• ren
  • ID: 4418
I've experienced it. The problem with it is that there never is a proper memory of the "first" experience. I'll go with Akkarin's explanation and assume two different inodes pointing to the same file.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Cathedrals of Utopia (Last post by tzb)
    • Yes I believe The Philosopher's Mail is run by him, or an organisation he's head of or something like that.
    • What form(s) of magic(k) do you practice? (Last post by Zenchi)
    • I have found one of the biggest personal downsides of tredding the darker avenues such as the Left Hand Path, is that without proper will training, the ego takes hold ands creates inner chaos that ultimately manifests in the practitioner's personal life. The will must be broken down, and then built up only to repeat the process. It is not a path for the mentally ill, or weak as it all too often unlocks hidden atravisms within the individuals subconscious mind...
    • Gisteron (Last post by Akkarin)
    • One of the perceived downsides of moral relativism, is that there is no real disagreement between two parties. In a relativist debate one person says "This is what I believe" and the other says "This is what I believe". If either side says "No that is wrong" then the other can say "Well that is just what I believe", because in moral relativism there is no 'Truth' there are only 'Truths'. That is the case in this thread (originally), except that both sides have used different methods of knowledge acquisition to arrive at their conclusions. One side has used logic and the scientific method, the other side has used experience. Who is right? Well they both are... because in moral relativism there is no 'Truth' there are only 'Truths'. Ultimately it all comes down to what you think works for you, what type of basis for acquiring knowledge you wish to use. I think of logic and science as being sharply defined, squarely cut and angular. I think of experience as being more fluid and bendy. Humans aren't machines, we are bundles of chemicals and chemical/electrical reactions, and if there is one thing about a big bundle of chemicals, it is that it is fluid and changing. Sometimes being angular is the best thing for them, but sometimes being fluid is the best thing for them.
    • Loosing a Loved one (Last post by tzb)
    • I'm sorry to hear of your loss. In my experience, the death of someone close to you does leave a mark on you at a very deep level. But with time that can go from an open wound, to a scar which is still a little tender, to something you can look at fondly as an important part of who you are, a reminder of the love you were lucky enough to experience. My grandfather was like a dad to me. He died about ten years ago, and for several years his memory remained painful. However over time I found myself remembering the good times; putting his final illnesses out of my mind and remembering the big man who would bounce me on his knee or lean down to give my cheek a stubbly kiss goodnight. I believe that those we love don't leave us in a very real sense, in that they are as alive in our memories as anything else we hold an understanding of: no more gone than the room is when you turn out the light. And in other ways we will join them again in the wider Force when this life ends. The elements which made them are dispersing back into the flow of things as, in time, we will. Let yourself feel whatever you feel. In time, you'll come out the other side. Remember you have our support. "The cure for the pain is the pain." - Rumi
    • Jedi Lightsaber (Last post by RyuJin)
    • Quote: I would love to build my own lightsaber, I just don't even know where to start. I'm sure I could do it I just need to do some research on them. Start with a sketch of what you want, then visit the hardware store (lowe's or home depot have a large selection of parts)look for parts that closely resemble what you want, then go to work...you can also visit some sabersmith sites for ideas and browse the forums here for some of the saber pics already posted...even the internal electronics are fairly simple, just requires a bit of planning beforehand so you don't wire an internal switch externally :lol:
    • Quick Question (Last post by Jestor)
    • I've ask Akkarin, the Librarian, to use that link tzb provided, to make a text accompaniment for the audio...:)
    • People Killing Each Other (Last post by RyuJin)
    • It comes down to beliefs vs ideas...an idea is easily changed with new information, beliefs don't change easily....no one is willing to die for an idea and therefore unwilling to kill for one, people are willing to die for a belief and therefore willing to kill for one.... 3 prophets are at the center of a good deal of the current tribulations, moses,muhammed,and jesus...their ideas twisted into beliefs....
    • Elite: Dangerous (Last post by Adder)
    • No I haven't played it yet, I think I watched a dev conference video a few months ago... not sure if it was prompted from a post here or just random interest. I have a question, does the initial purchase allow unlimited play, or do you have to buy the program and pay a subscription? I've got a Saitek Joystick (X45), but the throttle died, so I use a racing steering wheel (as throttle) and pedals (for yaw) to add the required control inputs. Its rough and ugly, but it gets the job done if I can get the axis' to match.
    • Connor is back (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Yes absolutely! You can start a career at a lot of times. My friend is 65 and he's starting a Bass career now! He's performing too.
    • Helping the Homeless? (Last post by peace)
    • Where I live, California has homeless shelters and homes where they have volunteers who help feed the homeless. I on the other hand, helped upgrade one by changing it to a luxurious, fancy hotel lobby style. This place now has added chandeliers, no dirty smells, the floors and polished and cleaned daily, in house bathrooms with showers and even tables for you to sit in. This place is now hoping with homeless people. It is now visited by 10,000 homeless visitors daily. All thanks to me, the world is a little brighter, happier and nicer.
    • Pop killed the Rock star (Last post by Arcade)
    • I listen to music throughout 99% of my day (if at all possible) :) and buy a fair amount of music, and good rock bands are definitely still out there and abundant (in fact, I have a number of friends in relatively successful local rock bands). In many ways, the music industry has moved from the television and radio model (which is quickly becoming antiquated) to the internet model of music distribution. A large percentage of bands and musicians are now on labels of their own creation because they want to skip the greedy middlemen. Sadly, pop culture has always been about what they want you to listen to (as Senan well knows). I worked at a Top 40 radio station throughout high school and they really did have 40 songs they played each day (with few exceptions). Rock will never die. There will always be people, like yourself, with a love for the classic rock sound. ;) Rock will probably continue to evolve in some ways, and at this point in pop culture that means integrating electronic sounds. I love electronic music, so I initially came at this from a slightly different point of view... where electronic musicians introduced me to rock. I now listen to hybrid bands (rock and electronic) and bands that only use instruments (along with the necessary amplification equipment when they perform). Personally, I think there's room in the world for all of them. :) It sucks that the TV stations you like have changed their focus so dramatically. For better or worse, you may have to change your focus to find what you're looking for online or at live performances.
    • Best star wars movie/scene (Last post by Luthien)
    • I also like the scene where the two Skywalkers, father and son, duel it out and the father's love of his son empowered him to save the son.

There are 505 visitors, 6 guests and 22 members online (2  are in chat): Br. John, Octagon, Shadouness, Jestor, Desolous, Proteus, Luthien, Angelus Kalen, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, scott777ab, Gallileo Oortael, Llama Su, Kamizu, Edan, tzb, Kaverael, benedictveritas, Cabur Senaar, TambelSadera, Juggernaut_L96, disciplet.

Follow Us