Do you believe in déjà vu?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 19:56 #58578

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
I was wondering what people think about déjà vu.

It's something that I personally haven't experienced more than a few times. But on the odd occasion that I've felt it it's really freaked me out!

I was thinking about how déjà vu could possibly be explained through the concept of 'the eternal present' or 'the eternal now' as discussed in the Initiate's Programme, probably by Joseph Campbell and possibly also by Alan Watts, if I remember correctly. As in, do past and future really exist or is everything happening all at the same time?

So...

Have you had any strong or frequent déjà vu experiences?
So do you believe in déjà vu? Why/why not?
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?

Or feel free to ramble and ignore my questions, they're just pointers really. I'm just interested to know what people think!

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:07 #58581

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
Yes, I have.

Of course I do! Because I have experienced it before. :)

If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?
I'm not sure I've ever thought about it on a personal level before. I've heard others ideas about it, though. One is similar to yours - but that we were allowed to see our lives before we lived it as a form of comfort of sorts.
Another is past lives and all that.
As for me, I truly have no idea..
Informative, huh?
Intake Officer ~ Youth Officer
Knight of Jediism

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:13 #58583

• Akkarin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
I think I've seen this topic before... :woohoo:

I've had deja vu, and currently the best explanation for it is actually that it's caused by an error in your memory

While you're 'seeing' the event, for whatever reason, this is also processed in your short term memory as well. This gives the impression that you are seeing and remembering it simultaneously

That's why you think you can remember the same experience :)

Apprentices: Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knarf, Reliah

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:44 #58597

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
I've only experienced it a couple of times. They felt like connecting through time or some parallel dimension!!! The most confusing ones I've had are when it links up to something that happened in a dream, as they feel like the dream was some sort of premonition. I dont have an opinion on what they are yet because I havent had them enough... literally about 3 times in my whole life.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:56 #58599

First, V, I have to say this is an extremely intriguing topic! Since I was young, I've had deja vu at least 4 to 5 times a month. Towards the age of 16 and 17, it started to grow stronger for a reason I didn't know, but it's not something I would have asked a doctor about. It came to a point where the deja vu moments were lasting longer, becoming remembered faster (so that I KNEW what was going to happen before it did), and all the more "insane." For example, I had an instance where I immediately regained that memory of talking to a specific friend right as it happened. I spoke every word of his sentence with him at the same time he did. It frightened him, but I enjoyed it. After deja vu, I usually recall the night I had the dream and waking up/completely forgetting it until the moment it lined up.

Usually Strong, and always pretty frequent!
I do more than I used to because of the coincidence and strength of certain times.
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?\
Honestly, It's hard to say not only where it comes from, but what the point of it really is. When it all comes down to it, none of my deja vu moments prove any sort of real significance other than exciting serendipity and such.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:23 #58604

• Br. John
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I've certainly experienced it.
Founder of The Order

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:48 #58607

Absolutely...sometimes it is a comfort, other times rather disturbing.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:31 #58622

I have experienced it several times. Depending on the feelings I have at the time, I find that if the feeling is bad, I alter my course of action. If the feeling is good, I let the scenareo play out. I also feel like "tunnel vision" when it happens. A very focused point in time and with acute awareness.

Yes V-Tog, it freaks me out too.
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Former Apprentice: Jedi Knight Arcade
Current Apprentice:Mathew Erickson

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:50 #58625

• Darren
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 8542
I experience it quite often. I'm sure it can be explained, I just like to call it a glitch in the Matrix. :D
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin
Jedi Apprentice
Licensed Minister of the Force
Masters: Alexandre Orion and Wescli Wardest
Former Master: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 02:04 #58629

• ren
  • ID: 4418
I've experienced it. The problem with it is that there never is a proper memory of the "first" experience. I'll go with Akkarin's explanation and assume two different inodes pointing to the same file.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Recurring Dreams (Last post by SeventhSL)
    • Interesting dream Adder. I've had similar dreams a couple of times. They are not recurring, vivid or anything but they really leave me with a horrible feeling. Funny thing is it is always after I have had a period where I haven't been the best partner. Work stress, lack of communication, etc has been taking its toll on the relationship. It's kind of like my subconscious feels like I should be doing a better job and so expects some kind of retaliation from my partner hence the dream. They even stop happening once I lift my act. Not saying this is your case by any means. Just sharing as it might ring true for others.
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • "If language was given to men to conceal their thoughts, then gesture's purpose was to disclose them." ~ John Napier, Hands ,1980, p. 166
    • Is Consciousness A State Of Matter, Like a Solid, ... (Last post by Gisteron)
    • The reason I ask about necessary conditions to identify consciousness is because with plants you already accepted that a brain isn't one. We may assume a body would be. Now, if the capacity for choice is not a requirement, plants would be conscious by that definition (even the ones eating insects or turning themselves towards the sun never display the capacity to choose otherwise), but by the same token every rock would be conscious, too. One may then move the target and say that only living things (by the biological definition) can be conscious, and why would one make that arbitrary distinction? Besides, how many would object to hearing the earth is not a conscious unit? On the other hand, if displayed capacity for choice is a requirement, that leaves us with only a small subset of living things, namely animals with a nervous system so complex that we no longer are able to track the necessary and unavoidable processes and are left attributing the outcome to what we perceive as a conscious choice of one thing over another. All of procaryotic life, few-celled organisms, fungi, plants and polyps, sponges and corals and a number of other animal types I can't recall from the top of my head would have to be excluded from the set of known conscious beings on earth. In a sense it does only come back to definitions. But then how can we reasonably discuss any statement unless we establish a framework to work from and make the statement specific enough to be adressed ;)
    • Buddha and the Cat (Last post by Connor L.)
    • Should things be cursed for their nature? It's all about perspective, right? I mean, Buddha didn't banish the cats. ;) He was dead and gone. It was his misguided students who made the call. Actually just makes me question teachers' opinions.
    • military strain (Last post by ren)
    • Quote: I lost count of how many marriages collapsed while I was in the navy Funny how their recruitment folk will do everything to convince you you can have a very stable family life, yet every guy who's been in the unform more than a year you meet says otherwise... And don't even think about trying your luck with the female officers, commandment wants to keep them for themselves (but BS you that it's a matter of national security and whatnot)....
    • Cultural misappropriation (Last post by ren)
    • Not exactly "cultural misappropriation" (as if culture belongs to anyone lol), but another good example of how people will be offended by anything: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737867...s-rare-disorder.html
    • Prophetic Dreams (Last post by Koji)
    • Hello fam! I sound just about the same as you I had a time in my life maybe 2 or 3 months where I had a bunch of dreams. Now when something important happens in my life I remember the dream and I know that I am on the right path. Perhaps I should meditate on them to see what it is that I was told. When I was reading the original post by Rickie the grey, I heard, "do not try to control these gifts but let them flow through you" so release control and you will see something amazing. Adder, it is grate that you can totally pic up on the ripples of time, meditate and see what comes to you, bring peace with you always and bliss out, reach out to the ripples and see if that peace doesn't help out. =) forms of peace= happy(ness)= hopeful norm. forms of distress= compressed emotions/energies= need for decompression Answer: identification, interpretation, (solution=action+reaction=outcome) advice, release attachment to outcome with understanding and love.
    • Lucid Dreams (Last post by RyuJin)
    • All my dreams are in color and highly detailed...I have full control, but most of the time I'm a spectator watching myself from a distance (think all the penseive visions in harry potter)...the me that is watching knows it's a dream, the me being watched does not...sometimes the spectator me "possesses" the other me to interact with elements in the dream...
    • What Do We Mean By "Temple"? (Last post by Aqua)
    • The ancient Sumerian word for temple means waiting room (the location where the deity can stay). I personally believe that everything is interconnected, so the deity (the force) sit in us all, cause and effect, to take energy and to give it back. Temple is a place were we can share our energy in a neutral state. We are a whole, use each other's energy, to learn an reach another consciousness phase. I guess this means Temple according to the ancient civilizations.
    • Jedi Prayers / Psalms / Invocations (Last post by Koji)
    • Stepping out into darkness again, an other life an other mission soon to end, ever unsure but always hopeful, for The Lord of all is near. Inside every heart and soul the beacon on truth shines bright, the time is now to not say "you need to know The Lord!" for we are already in his sight. Know him as you will for It is not by good works nor by money in which we are freed, but in our connection to freedom its self, allowing us to be righteous and Holy, set apart for God. ~Jedi Koji
    • Unquestioned belief (Last post by Acheron)
    • Quote: When I say, unshakable, I mean that despite logic and evidence, I've not yet found a way to let go of the belief. And "unquestioned", I mean continuing to think that the things we believe are somehow external and true. Never exploring "why" we have that belief. Or building on it. Some people discover something that suits them and then never grow from there. Getting stuck in it and never evolving. Which is just as bad in my opinion. To “believe” implies uncertainty. To let go of the belief you must learn to let go of the doubt which surrounds that belief. When logic and evidence are strong enough the doubt becomes transparent. Perhaps your search for evidence hasn’t reached its conclusion just yet…? Look through the doubt… An Unquestioned belief isn’t without its dangers. But at times can provide more comfort than reasonable facts. We would be mindful to remember that even the truth can be seen a lie for the hearts and minds malcontent to embrace it.
    • 'Spencer' books by Robert B Parker (Last post by Goken)
    • Has anybody here read these? I'm going through them for the second time (which takes a while, there are over 30) and it occurs to me just how much like a Jedi I think the main character is. Not in every way, but he does represent a lot of the same ideals. Also they are fantastic reads whether it relates to Jediism or not.

There are 127 visitors, 11 guests and 24 members online (2  are in chat): Akkarin, Br. John, steamboat28, Jon, Shadouness, Jestor, Adhara, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, MJ Hannigan, MCSH, Whyte Horse, Buvan, sidvkili, Archon, Kamizu, Kohadre, Edan, Avalonslight, Senan, Zenchi, jasonwilkins, jadedbehan, Jamie Stick, Knigma, SeventhSL, Goken, Targeran Arynal, Acheron, Ilyowh Eclipseblast, Aqua, focone oceanlast.

Follow Us