Do you believe in déjà vu?

Moderators: Adder, Adhara

Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 19:56 #58578

• V-Tog
  • Senior Knight
  • Priest
  • ID: 9122
I was wondering what people think about déjà vu.

It's something that I personally haven't experienced more than a few times. But on the odd occasion that I've felt it it's really freaked me out!

I was thinking about how déjà vu could possibly be explained through the concept of 'the eternal present' or 'the eternal now' as discussed in the Initiate's Programme, probably by Joseph Campbell and possibly also by Alan Watts, if I remember correctly. As in, do past and future really exist or is everything happening all at the same time?

So...

Have you had any strong or frequent déjà vu experiences?
So do you believe in déjà vu? Why/why not?
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?

Or feel free to ramble and ignore my questions, they're just pointers really. I'm just interested to know what people think!

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:07 #58581

• Reliah
  • Councillor
  • ID: 8859
Yes, I have.

Of course I do! Because I have experienced it before. :)

If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?
I'm not sure I've ever thought about it on a personal level before. I've heard others ideas about it, though. One is similar to yours - but that we were allowed to see our lives before we lived it as a form of comfort of sorts.
Another is past lives and all that.
As for me, I truly have no idea..
Informative, huh?
"The most valuable of all talents is never using two words when one will do." - Thomas Jefferson

Knight of Jediism ~ Youth Officer ~ Intake Officer
Apprentices: Knight Leandros_Von ~ Garwa Mayharr ~ Steamboat28
Training Master: Damion_Storm

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:13 #58583

• Akkarin
  • Councillor
  • Priest
  • ID: 484
I think I've seen this topic before... :woohoo:

I've had deja vu, and currently the best explanation for it is actually that it's caused by an error in your memory

While you're 'seeing' the event, for whatever reason, this is also processed in your short term memory as well. This gives the impression that you are seeing and remembering it simultaneously

That's why you think you can remember the same experience :)

Apprentices: Red Lila
Former Apprentices: Desolous
Former Master: Br. John

Councillor
Head of Public Relations and Marketing
Librarian
Associate Pastor

Senior Knight and Priest of the Temple of the Jedi Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knarf, Reliah

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:44 #58597

• Adder
  • Knight
  • ID: 7778
I've only experienced it a couple of times. They felt like connecting through time or some parallel dimension!!! The most confusing ones I've had are when it links up to something that happened in a dream, as they feel like the dream was some sort of premonition. I dont have an opinion on what they are yet because I havent had them enough... literally about 3 times in my whole life.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 20:56 #58599

First, V, I have to say this is an extremely intriguing topic! Since I was young, I've had deja vu at least 4 to 5 times a month. Towards the age of 16 and 17, it started to grow stronger for a reason I didn't know, but it's not something I would have asked a doctor about. It came to a point where the deja vu moments were lasting longer, becoming remembered faster (so that I KNEW what was going to happen before it did), and all the more "insane." For example, I had an instance where I immediately regained that memory of talking to a specific friend right as it happened. I spoke every word of his sentence with him at the same time he did. It frightened him, but I enjoyed it. After deja vu, I usually recall the night I had the dream and waking up/completely forgetting it until the moment it lined up.

Usually Strong, and always pretty frequent!
I do more than I used to because of the coincidence and strength of certain times.
If you do, what is your explanation for it, if any?\
Honestly, It's hard to say not only where it comes from, but what the point of it really is. When it all comes down to it, none of my deja vu moments prove any sort of real significance other than exciting serendipity and such.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:23 #58604

• Br. John
  • Councillor
  • Bishop
  • ID: 523
I've certainly experienced it.
Founder of The Order

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 01 May 2012 21:48 #58607

Absolutely...sometimes it is a comfort, other times rather disturbing.

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:31 #58622

I have experienced it several times. Depending on the feelings I have at the time, I find that if the feeling is bad, I alter my course of action. If the feeling is good, I let the scenareo play out. I also feel like "tunnel vision" when it happens. A very focused point in time and with acute awareness.

Yes V-Tog, it freaks me out too.
Jedi Knight
Deacon of the Temple of the Jedi Order

Master: Mark Anjuu
Apprentice: Arcade

Read what I wrote not with your emotion and interpretation, but with mine!

"Right and wrong, good and evil, light and dark most of the time, they are illusions that prevent us from perceiving the greater reality. The Jedi have learned to distance themselves from these illusions, to seek the truth beneath the words"
Luke Skywalker

“Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that destroys the dark.”
Corran Horn

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 01:50 #58625

• Darren
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Apprentice
  • Licensed Minister
  • ID: 8542
I experience it quite often. I'm sure it can be explained, I just like to call it a glitch in the Matrix. :D
Rev. Darren M. Baldwin
Jedi Apprentice
Licensed Minister of the Force
Masters: Alexandre Orion and Wescli Wardest
Former Master: Grandmaster Mark Anjuu

Re: Do you believe in déjà vu? 02 May 2012 02:04 #58629

• ren
  • ID: 4418
I've experienced it. The problem with it is that there never is a proper memory of the "first" experience. I'll go with Akkarin's explanation and assume two different inodes pointing to the same file.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • To be "an instrument of peace" (Last post by rugadd)
    • I understand that the people comprising the working body of a system are more important a factor than the system itself. Knowing that leading by example is both effective and unhypocritical we come to the logic of being the change we wish to see in the world. Therefore, if we seek peace we must strive to live peaceful lives. Now imagine that conclusion being practiced by everyone.
    • Language learners (Last post by Edan)
    • Quote: The large sweeping motions in movies and wushu competitions are not the same as gong fu in practical application. I"ve found from personal experience that it becomes compacted in live combat. A high level of control, even a "natural state" of hand and arm gestures close to the body, is an insane advantage. Like the sign for "snake" or "wall", its easy to see how having a dictionaries worth of word movements to apply is like having every tool in the toolbox. Blocking especially. My father in law and fiance practice tai chi and wing chun so I know know you mean about movies, although I don't practice myself. I've never thought about the other practical applications of martial arts beyond the obvious; I learnt something new this week!
    • My Daughter (Last post by MCSH)
    • I'm so sorry Damion,... and I'm glad that she is okay now. I've missed this topic... I'll have you and your family in mind
    • From The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran (Last post by Zenchi)
    • Yeah, I looked it up, its in the public domain just about everywhere in the world except the United States as they changed copywrite laws to expand to 95 years after death..... :/
    • D&D (Last post by Joe)
    • Since i lack any form of routine in my life right now, i really can't say when i will have the time. Lets just go for "whenever" right now.
    • Confused (Last post by ryangoan)
    • "I profess before all my fellow Jedi that I,Ryan Goan born on 09/07/1984, without eservation, choose the Jedi path, until I am ready for Jedi Knighthood or I otherwise decide, with all its duties and responsibilities. I shall do that which is right and profess my allegiance to the Force. During that time I promise to do my utmost to uphold the Jedi teachings, and to live a life as is worthy of a Jedi."
    • The Order of the Good Death (Last post by Phortis Nespin)
    • Suicide has nothing to do with conquering fear. I have dealt with many suicides in my profession. None have been about conquering fear. Suicide is the end result of a life not understood. It is a rape victim who cannot deal with the shame. The anger of a son against his father. Wife against husband. Suicide is the last resort of a enfeebled mind. Until you see and hear the cries of the children who found their fathers body swinging in the garage, you must be careful of what you say here. There are many of us here that deal with this subject on a professional level and know. There are some here who may have tried to commit suicide and thankfully failed.
    • Assigning the Deity (Last post by Akkarin)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: The assigning the deity argument really just boils down to the extent to which you can justify your opinion etc... That's exactly right. My assertion is that you can never justify your opinion using religious sources. I disagree rather completely. It's no different than justifying your opinion using other sources you didn't author. Appealing to divine authority is a very specific form of the more general 'using other sources you didn't author' so it isn't quite the same. Think of the difference between moral views and scientific views, both use sources other than your own but they are very different.
    • The Union of East & West through Pop Culture (Last post by Arcade)
    • An excellent Oxford Union address by Chinese-American singer-songwriter Wang Leehom about discrimination, perspectives, stereotypes, thinking for yourself, and removing the artificial borders that separate the East and West by promoting a world music culture. I've always enjoyed his music, but gained more respect for him after viewing this. [video] (Leehom's Mixtape)

There are 500 visitors, 6 guests and 25 members online (none are in chat): steamboat28, Shadouness, Gaia Chi, Jestor, Darren, Luthien, Locksley, Reacher, Alexandre Orion, Alan, Arcade, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Drexid, Edan, babyblueyes247, Trice Corbel, Jamie Stick, DevianClore, Xan Montagu, EEJim, Zeph, ShrapnelX2, Mathew Erickson, prosingerrenee27, C.G.P..

Follow Us