Access Denied

You do not have permissions to access this page.

Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Questions (Last post by Jamie Stick)
    • Quote: O Describes a typical day and week for an active member My typical day is not very different because I am a Jedi, however the way I see the world is very different now that I have become a Jedi. In that sense, I guess you could say everything is different. Quote: O Describes typical monthly and yearly religious events (holidays, traditions, rites of passage, etc.) The Jedi of this Temple don't have religious events per se, though individuals may celebrate holidays pertaining to their culture and/or another religion (some Jedi do not consider the Jedi path their religious one). What we do have is monthly reflections. These reflections are usually dichotomies that stretch our understanding of the terms and our ability to find a balance amid the contradictions of life and the universe. One of the clergy will generally write a sermon and perform a service that gives us insight into that particular month's reflection. Throughout the month we are encouraged to reflect, meditate, and contemplate on the theme of the reflection for each month. Quote: Describe rituals you may perform, daily tasks you must do, any paraphernalia you need to wear or carry around with you, religious celebrations, or anything else you can think of. The Temple is pretty laid back and is entirely voluntary in every sense of that word. Jediism is also very flexible and allows for individuation of the Jedi path. My path looks very different from another's. I personally have no rituals, daily tasks, or paraphernalia. The way I "practice" my religion is in the way I live my life. I try to embody the Code and the Creed, to recognize the Force in all living beings. Quote: What do you do for your meditations? How long? Is it encourage or required to meditate every day? if not, how often? I meditate occasionally. I'd like to do it more regularly, but I'm at a place where if I tried that I'd be forcing myself to do it and that would kind of defeat the purpose. Meditation, for me, usually lasts somewhere between 20-30 minutes depending on how long it takes for the distractions to fade away. Meditation is strongly encouraged, but never a requirement. It is taught as a basic tool for Jedi exploring their path and developing a sense of what their Jedi path looks like, but the funny thing about meditation is that it can't be compelled or it usually just ends up being a nap. :silly: Quote: During your week, how often do you do things that pertain to your religion? I probably spend more time than most because I'm administrator for the clergy, but that doesn't really mean much except that I type a lot. Most of my work happens behind the scenes and I'd be happy if nobody really knew I was the one doing it. Quote: Are there any celebrations unique to your religion? If so, what is it and what do you do for it? How often? No, although we do try to coordinate with other Jedi institutions to meet up in person. You'd have to ask someone who has attended one of these in the past to get a detailed explanation of what these are like. Quote: Does one gender have a responsibility that the other does not? Nope, especially not at this Temple. Everyone has the responsibility to treat each other respectfully in spite of biases about gender. Quote: What do you do to become higher ranked? Depends on which rank you're referring to. The Temple utilizes ranks for general members and clergy members. Both are a combination of study requirements and time spent at the Temple. That said, the Council votes on rank promotion for general members and the Synod votes on rank promotions for clergy members. It is not simply an automatic thing that someone is promoted. Also, rank holds different significance for different people. I personally would be content without my ranks so long as I could continue to serve people and study as I am now. Quote: Do you have a right of passage? I've never referred to them as such (and there are reasons for this), but we have a few. The first is becoming a member of the Temple. The second is completing your Initiate Programme studies. The third is taking the Simple Oath. After completing these a Jedi has been introduced to many concepts and tools which they can use to communicate with other Jedi at the Temple. Completing your apprenticeship and becoming a knight is probably the final "rite of passage" that Jedi typically go through. The clergy really only have two: promotion to Licensed Minister, making one an official representative of the Temple clergy and a caretaker of the spiritual wellbeing of the Temple. The other is promotion to Deacon, making one a permanent member of the clergy and committing them to a greater responsibility to the congregation of the Temple.
    • Real World Jedi (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • this interview is about 45 - 50 minutes the link says "economic-finance" that's incorrect this interview is about being awesome www.khanacademy.org/economics-finance-do...ats/v/sean-osullivan
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Ratcliffe)
    • I am grateful for today or perhaps more to the point I am grateful that, thanks to the temple, I finally get that all I have is now. The peace that brings me is perhaps the first I have ever know and for that I am not able to language my appreciation.
    • Your meditation routine (Last post by Kitsu Tails)
    • Quote: I'm interested to discover what routines others here have for meditation Step One: Put the Kids to bed Step Two: Plug up the Tub and turn the hot water on to....as hot as possible. Step Three: Go get a towel, candle, book and bottle of water Step Four: Dump a bunch of Bath Salts into tub Step Five: Get in, adding cold water until water is comfortable Step Six: Take off my glasses and sink under the water until ears and eyes are covered (But still able to breathe above the surface Step Seven: breath in deeply Step Eight: Breath out completely Repeat until relaxed and content Step Nine: Read a book and drink the full bottle of water (Completely) Step ten: get out when the water is too cold to be comfortable anymore :laugh:
    • TotJO Programming Thread (Last post by Adder)
    • Unsure, depends on what your working on perhaps, but whatever it is we might be doing you'll find it has a generally defined 'system' and you could see the relationships within that system as opportunities to mimick a more synergistic architecture of system. Though I probably wouldn't completely associate work to my spirituality.... because they are different things, that can work together to some extent. So another option, if you wanted to use fiction references to connect your work time to your path, is to see work as 'trials' and the Jedi Knight Trials were Skill, Courage, Spirit, Flesh, and Insight - so you could associate them to something like the DMAIC or DFSS project methodologies for example, or look at what the job requires and check out the Doctrine to see if any translations can become some new 'Jedi' context for your work effort. For me, I like to think of simulations to represent complex/useful/human relationships, and so programming is the structural relationships of useful relationships. But that is not so much about programming but rather how I relate to programs perhaps :blink:
    • "Soteriology" within the Jedi Path (Last post by J. K. Barger)
    • Well made points gents. I like what you have brought forth. We all seem to be familiar with the idea of a reward for our actions, and how we can be motivated (or not- maybe even downright anti-authoritarian :evil: ) based on a future idea of what is to come. I also like how we've mentioned the contrast between "salvation" in the Abrahamic sense and "enlightenment" in the Dharmic sense. While both share the noble aim of making our immediate lives better, they both have slightly differing orientations- after embodiment and during embodiment. As a Zen practitioner, Death is often employed as the "Great Matter" to teach us how to make the whole of Zen applicable to ourselves now- IMMEDIATELY. Aligning with the Taoist tendencies in Zen, we could almost say (in hindsight it seems), that "we are already enlightened" or that we "are already saved"; but this begs the question, just as Dogen himself asked, "If we are already enlightened/saved, what is the point/purpose of 'practice'"? If we already ARE..., why would we...? (You fill in the blanks according to your preference) Now seeing how the Jedi Path holds both of these as valid soteriological goals (that is, Enlightenment and Salvation), do we use the respective traditional terms of "suffering and enlightenment" / "Sin and Salvation" to expound the Jedi Path, or do we use different language? How do the Jedi in fiction describe their path? What is the Point, the Great Matter of the Jedi/the Force? ----- On a persoanl note, I tend to follow a non-dualist stance. While soteriology looks like it is an introspective method for Dualists, as a non-dualist, I still see its value in a "catch-22" way; that is, both "salvation" and "already saved" are essential unified and that one informs the other. Take Dzogchen teachings for example; it initial teaches you about the innate luminosity of mind (we are already enlightened), but "further training" is used if you miss this fundamental teaching, i.e., the subsequent teachings are more gross, tangible, and 'further' from the truth, but nonetheless ARE the truth and it's path. This method of training recognizes the limits of soteriology and its methods while simultaneously valuing its contributions as a necessary part of the Path. As a Jedi, I think this helps us identify what we are working "towards" in our tradition as a whole Order and as individuals working out our own paths. I think if we can answer this in distinctly "Jedi terms" (whatever those come to be or are), we have the nuts and bolts of both Jedi training and the clerical imperative- both of which are closely related. MTFBWY
    • Workout Check-In Thread (Last post by Luthien)
    • 5x5 Squats 5x5 Overhead press 5x5 Deadlift 1x30 Calf raise 1x20 Abdominal crunch 1x20 Back extension 1x20 In-and-out
    • The Imperishable Gem (Last post by Alexandre Orion)
    • "Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It's a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognise our shared humanity." ~ Pema Chödrön
    • Bad Dreams (Last post by Burn_Phoenix)
    • Though it is just reiterating what many others have said, dreams tend to be messages from your subconscious putting your fears into scenarios so you can understand them and possibly confront them (though it doesn't realise that you can't infact easily understand them lol!) I would try and view the dreams objectively, don't focus on one aspect such as the actual acts but see it in conjunction with how it makes you feel in both the dream and reality and what is happening in your life at that point in time. Give it full context and layer it with as much information as you can. A friend of mine had a recurring dream that she was running from someone with a baby in her arms, she never seemed to be able to completely escape and was never able to get a signal on her phone to call the police. To now give it context, she was in an abusive relationship and had a daughter. A common feeling with those in that kind of situation is helplessness. It makes sense that, metaphorically, the person she was running from could be her husband, the baby her daughter. Yet she feels trapped and that she is having to deal with it on her own (not being able to escape or call for help). Personally, one that haunts me to this day is a nightmare I had where my daughter died during child birth (her child). It was horrific and traumatic and gave me a few sleepless nights and if I think about it before going to bed it takes me a while to settle enough to go to sleep. The context is I was going through a custody battle, my children were at risk from their mother (who had custody at the time) and I had no proof of this, so despite testimony after testimony all authorities said that there was no risk and the children were to remain in her care. I was essentially powerless to protect my children from harm. Apply that to the dream: as a man there is no more a helpless position to be in that when a woman you care about is giving birth, because you can't really help and are unlikely to effect the outcome. so that powerlessness manifested in the dream scenario, but that scenario had no real life basis. (unless of course it does turn out to be a premonition just years in advance in which case my life will fall apart on many levels!)

There are 188 visitors, 6 guests and 22 members online (one in chat): Br. John, steamboat28, Shadouness, Firewolf, Adder, Proteus, Llama Su, Archon, Kamizu, Edan, Silvermane, Jamie Stick, Calanon, SeventhSL, Matsukaze, GalUnDrux, Tk768, Everett, Libertas, Aslyn, smirq, Atticus509, GreySong, keeltydawn.

Follow Us